Cover Image: The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

I liked the first book so I started reading this one and I was really excited. But it was slower than the first one and I couldn't keep reading. but after a year (maybe) I did.
I like this world because it's quite original but at the same time I was screaming "please stop making me feel like I'm reading Harry Potter!!! I want something new and fresh". Anyway, at some point the author delivered and gave lovely chracters and a world building beautiful and magical..
Ivy and her friends warm my heart. I hope seeing them again <3
This books really drew me in, very whimsical and enchanting. I can’t recommend it enough for those who love books like Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland.

Ivy lovely is a determined wonderful main character and she’s growing into a someone she fight realize she could be. Each of the characters in this story hold their own and build what’s happening.

I enjoyed them so much, I bought physical copies!
Firstly I want to say a massive thankyou again to the author for the gifted digital copy of the book!

I loved the first book in the Crowns of Croswald series so when the offer came for the second book was given I had to say yes! I had found myself missing the magical world of Croswald with its Royals and Scrivenists and also the Dark Queen!

I loved that we got more character development of Ivy - the lead character you can’t help but root for, and also that we learnt more about Fyn. I do wish that their romance would kick off a little though and I’m hoping that we learn more about them in book 3!

The pacing of this book was a lot better than the first in the series and I found the story line kept me hooked and wanting to read on. There is a lot going on at times and this can be a little confusing but I honestly love the magic that this series brings.

I know this is aimed at a younger audience but as someone who is older reading it I still find myself drawn in and captivated by the magic of it all.

A great sequel!
This book is definitely an improvement on the first and as a whole the series is magical. The characters that felt flat in the first book are full of life and it was really nice to spend some time with them outside of the school in the ‘Town’.

If these books had been around when I was a teenager I would have absolutely loved them.
While I enjoyed this installment of the Crowns of Croswald series, I found it difficult to really get in to. There was a lot of world building and info dumping and I found myself lost and confused at times. I do continue to enjoy the unique magic system and creatures in these books.

As with the first first, I wish we got to spend more time with the Dark Queen as she seems like and intriguing villain.

Not 100% sure I will be continuing the series at this time but maybe?
The book returns us to the world of Croswald, full of magic and royalty and the evil Dark Queen. It is full of daventures, new magical characters, friends and magical wonders. They use quills instead of wands to use magic. The one person who has a clue of what the dark queen is looking for and where it might be is her families old magical advisor called a scrivenist. Ivy has her plate full in this book fighting and defeating the Dark Queen. Eager to dive into next one soon.
This is the second book in the Croswald series and I have to say it was as enjoyable as the first.

It continues the story of Ivy Lovely, who is an absolute joy of a character. She is compassionate and resourceful. It was so lovely to see her surrounded by loyal friends, a far cry from her lonely childhood as a kitchen maid.

The author has done a fantastic job of showing that although Ivy has grown up a little because of all she has been through, she remains a reckless teenager, ready to steam into dangerous adventures without a thought!

The structure of the story was similar to the first book, a slow build up to an epic battle in the final few chapters.
As in the previous book I would have liked to have seen a little more of the Dark Queen as she is a fabulous villain.

I also felt, although Ivy's time in Belzebuthe at the start if the book was interesting, I couldn't wait for her to get back to school as that is where the humour and excitement is.

I loved seeing Ivy building a group of friends and her relationship with Fyn grows even more in this book, the scene where they fish for stars on the roof on Fyns birthday was truly heartwarming.

The ending of the book bodes well for the next in the series as it appears Ivy is beginning to truly embrace her birthright and I cannot wait to read what happens to her next.

Many thanks to the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC through Netgalley for an honest review.
The Girl with a Whispering Shadow is the second book in the Crowns of Croswald series. It's a nice break to read a book for a middle grade audience and exciting to see the events that transpire after the ending of the first book (where Ivy finds out who she really is).

I love how much Ivy's character has grown from when we first meet her in the first book, I love her curiosity and kindness and getting to see those friendships develop further.

I think Rebecca has quickly become a favourite character of mine in the series though.

The ending was perfect - it left on a cliffhanger that had me needing the next book straight away. I'm curious to see where the rest of the series goes and The Girl with a Whispering Shadow is such a great sequel.

Overall, I really love D.E.Nights writing and their way of describing/world building is great. It does draw similarities to other middle grade fantasy books but does well in holding its own in being unique.
Having really enjoyed the first book in this series I had been looking forward to this one for a while. Unfortunately, I found it a bit disappointing. So much of the book was world building/scene setting, and nothing really happened to move the plot along until quite far in. While these scenes were fun I just felt like it wasn't engaging.
3.75/5 stars rounded up to 4

This is an excellent follow-up that, for me, almost meets the expectations of the first book. Almost.

Maybe it's just me, but I felt as if there were more telling in this one. "The weather clearly reflected Ivy's mood." If it clearly reflected her mood, you shouldn't have had to tell me that, at least not so directly. But maybe it's because this is for middle-grade to young adult audiences. The dialogue flowed a little less nicely, mostly due to a lack of contractions in some places, which were not to do with the character's way of speaking.

By the halfway point I started questioning if this was actually going to lead into anything. Ivy and the reader learn a lot without it feeling infodump-y or slow (usually), so you can at least tell that it's building up to something. By the 60-70% point, it starts to pick up, and up, and up! All that learning starts leading into some action being done, and I could hardly put it down.

So don't miss out on it. From the little bit of other reviews I saw, this is being praised higher than the first one. This series should definitely be read in order, but Night does a nice job of slipping in sentences and details to remind you of the first book while not spending too much time recapping. This helps keep track of recurring characters, too. I adored the world-building and the characters - who I wish we had a little more time with - but that's not surprising! The world-building alone is a big part of the pull of this series for me, and I'm glad we get to see even more of its magic in this one.
The second instalment in The Crowns of Croswald series brings more magic and adventure. This is great for middle grade readers.
This book returns us to the world of Croswald, full of magic and royalty and the evil Dark Queen.  It is full of new adventures, new magical characters and friends, and new magical wonders. They use quills instead of wands to help direct their magic. And at the beginning of this book, one of the darkest, most powerful quills goes missing from the Keep where they are locked away and studied.

The second book in the series, Ivy learned several secrets last book and ended up battling the Dark Queen. The Dark Queen is after her crown, but Ivy doesn’t have a crown. The only person who has a clue of what the Dark Queen is looking for and where it might be is her families old magical advisor called a scrivenist. Of course it can’t be that easy, he also was trapped somewhere for decades, causing memory loss. Ivy has her plate full in this book, with trying to keep up with school, trying to help him recover his memories to beat the Dark Queen to what she wants so badly, fighting literal shadows that are putting everyone in danger, and practicing her magic in a scrimmage setting in a club (that is technically against the rules, but she’s got to defeat the Dark Queen somehow, and she needs to practice!)
I had a lot of similar thoughts reading book two as I did book one. This continues to be a quirky, whimsical world. The story had moments of good humour and I can happily report that this middle grade series remained age appropriate (which is a big tick for me)!

I thought towards the end of book one, that the story was veering away from that of Harry Potter. Unfortunately, there were some similarities to Harry Potter that felt a little too close for comfort. There was a club formed that reminded me of Dumbledore’s Army. Invisible creature that bore similarities to Thestrals. A girl who went through a possession of sorts that felt much like Ginny’s predicament in The Chamber of Secrets and a way of reliving a memory that reminded me of the pensieve.

That being said there were also some unique moments I truly enjoyed. I loved the secret town and the ‘stars’ that graced its sky. I loved the occulyst owls! The final battle was also fast paced and super engaging to read.

I would happily recommend this to parents of middle grade readers.
I enjoyed reading this more than book 1. The world building is great and so magical.. It’s great to see Ivy become more confident in herself and getting to know more friends.
I'm loving reading more adventures of Ivy Lovely! I was disappointed right along with her when she couldn't go back to school, but was happy when she did! Though I, too, was suspicious about the origins of the note. I love the academia aspects of these books! The school sounds beautiful; can never go wrong with schools in an old castle! I wished Fyn was around a bit more, but it was also fun meeting some new friends and characters. Including his mom! She seemed really nice, and it was great for Ivy to have that influence/relationship with her own parents gone. I also had a lot of fun meeting Silius! All of the creatures are so creative and I think the invisitaurs are my favorite. I was also glad to see more of the dark queen. She's a great villain! Overall, I love this series and can't wait to see more of Ivy Lovely!
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second book in the The Crowns of Croswald series. Ivy Lovely has survived her first year at the Halls of Ivy, but it looks like the Dark Queen isn't done with her yet! The story takes us to the hidden Town where Ivy spends her summer with one of her closest friends. Can she figure out the location of the second piece of the mysterious Kindred Stone that is her birthright?

I liked how the book picked up right after the end of the first book. Usually sequels aren't as good as the original, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I totally want to be a member of the QQC. Ivy teaches the reader to be brave and courageous, and I really enjoy that.
I enjoyed reading this book. I adore Ivy’s friends but Fyn and Rebecca are my favorites, and this time, Rebecca won me over because she can turn into a dragon! I also loved the new creatures we meet in this one. Although this series is very simplistic, I really love the world. It’s as magical as it could be, and with every single book, it’s developed even more. I definitely recommend it.
The Girl With the Whispering Shadow is the second book in the Crowns of Croswald series.

I feel as characters everyone grew, From start to finish you honestly see each character grow at their own pace and see them evolve into wonderful roles in the series, and I love how we find out about Fyns kind of bad boy side, and his jealous side as well. The descriptions again are so detailed that I can imagine everything D.E Night describes from Quogo to the dragon.

I was sad to see the book end so fast because I wanted to keep going, but the ending was a major cliffhanger and I am excited what D.E Night will come up with next and where Ivy’s next adventure is going!
I have previously reviewed the first book in the series and was gifted this one as well to review.

I think the series is shaping up to have a slight Harry Potter feel, which is not bad. It's a great follow on book from the first and I love that there are new characters and the story keeps growing.

They are great books for teenagers and adults alike.
Thank you NetGalley, Stories Untold, and D.E. Knight for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Description:
Only hours after Ivy Lovely discovers that she is the fulfillment of the Moonsday promise, she is whisked away from her beloved school to Belzebuthe, a secret town for only those with magical blood.

Ivy sets out on a mission to uncover the second facet of the Kindred Stone while eluding the Dark Queen’s wrath. But even when she’s supposed to be safe, something is shadowing Ivy. She will need all her natural-born magic and more as she battles to find the rest of the Kindred Stone and return to the Halls of Ivy.

Before it’s too late...

This was a wonderful continuation from the first book. It picked up right where Ivy's story ended in the first book and it was easy to get back into the magical world of Croswald. We are following Ivy through her second year at the Halls of Ivy. Ivy spends her summer and the beginning of the school year in the Town since it has been deemed unsafe for her to return back to school for the time being. Until she is called back to school by the Selector, or so she thought. As usual Ivy gets in to trouble for various things once she returns to school, but I loved getting to "see" more outside of the school, Ravenshollow, and the slurry fields from the first book. I do feel like Ivy did mature and continue to grow as a character in this book, especially when she joins the QQC.

The Town sounds like an amazing place to live as a scrivenist. There was also the introduction of Quogo, a new magical game. Who doesn't like a good duel? I liked seeing all the main characters grow more throughout this book. Reading about them expanding their magical skills is fun and pulls you in to the story even more. I feel like the middle of the school year always seems to get skipped over a little bit in the book, but there might not be much to add from what was already written. I just feel like the meat and potatoes of the book are at the beginning and the end and I wish there was some of it in the middle. It doesn't affect the book for me at all, though. I still really enjoyed this book and will most likely continue the series. I have to know how the story ends!