Cover Image: The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

I received a copy of The Girl with the Whispering Shadow from Stories Untold Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

D.E. Night created something fun and magical in The Crowns of Croswald. The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is a fantastic sequel that adds to that magic.

While this book does feel a bit different, it is still just as enchanting as the first.
The world building is expanded and readers get a deeper peek into the world of scrivenists. And as with the first book, I never quite knew what to expect and was excited to see what new creature, spell, or potion was waiting to be discovered on the next page. (There are times when I suspect D.E. Night’s imagination is in fact limitless.)

It is an absolute delight to follow Ivy’s story and uncover more of the secrets of her past and Croswald.

D.E. Night’s writing is still just as vivid and it’s hard not to imagine yourself alongside Ivy and her friends. Another aspect that made me enjoy this sequel even more was that D.E. Night gives you the information you need when you need it without completely retelling you what happened in the first book.  This is something people who don’t reread, marathon read series, and/or read series as they are released can truly appreciate. (I know I did.)

I did have some issues with the pacing and occasionally got lost in the world building, but I was still able to enjoy the story. I actually think I enjoyed this one more than the first and am excited to see what happens next in Ivy’s story.

So, if you’re looking for a magical escape I recommend checking out this series! The third installment, The Words of the Wandering is available now too.

Thank you so much Stories Untold Press and NetGalley for the review copy!
This is the 2nd book in the series and takes us back to the magical land of Croswald and the Halls of Ivy. Things are still rough since what happened at the masquerade ball and protecting Ivy is of utmost importance now. As the only home she has ever known has been deemed unsafe, she is sent to the place where it is impossible for any outsider to step it.
If I didn’t adore this world already in book 1, I do now! This one was much more intense and more plot oriented, sort of like every piece coming closer to each other to form a whole. This book had so much more depth and soul, unlike the last one which was more about world building and Ivy finding her place.
The title for this one was very intriguing to me and when I fully grasped the meaning of it, it blew me away! The real intents of the Dark Queen became much clearer in this book and so the plot picked up quickly.
I loved Ivy in book 1 but this one had so many other characters taking the light as well, especially Fyn and Rebecca. I loved both of them and I hope to see them taking charge in the upcoming books.
I loved this one and I recommend it to people new to reading and the ones who like Middle Grade/YA fantasy.
I received an ARC for this book in exchange of an honest review.
Thank you to the author and publisher who allowed me to read this novel early!

Summary: Only hours after Ivy Lovely discovers that she is the fulfillment of the Moonsday promise, she is whisked away from her beloved school to Belzebuthe, a secret town for only those with magical blood.

Ivy sets out on a mission to uncover the second facet of the Kindred Stone while eluding the Dark Queen’s wrath. But even when she’s supposed to be safe, something is shadowing Ivy. She will need all her natural-born magic and more as she battles to find the rest of the Kindred Stone and return to the Halls of Ivy.

Before it’s too late...

My thoughts: I really enjoyed the sequel to this novel! Ivy is such a strong character and I found myself eager to read more about her journey. The author built a fascinating world. Looking forward to reading more from her !
I was not ready for the first book to end when it did and I was super eager to start reading "The Girl with the Whispering Shadow".
As said before fantasy is a new genre for me and I use a longer time getting into these type of stories, but as I read on, I slowly disappear into this new world filled with magic and quills and mystery.
The best thing with reading is all those images in your mind. It's like a movie is playing in your head while reading the story.
This book begins where the first book ends. It tells what's next in store for Ivy after the school year ends. At first I felt like there was something missing, but as I read along I couldn't help liking this story. I felt the story slowed down a little towards the middle of the book but towards the end I couldn't put this book down.
I'm beyond ready for the third book now. I need to know what's going to happen with Ivy and her friends, and not to forget the Dark Queen.
(because of the way I wrote the review for this book—it's a joint review with book 2—this is very short)

The world (and character) building is superior in this book as opposed to the original. This might simply be because Ivy goes to what is basically the Diagon Alley of these books, so the author had the chance to build a really fun location, but I also think the descriptions were more captivating and fleshed out.

The second book also had a more interesting plot, but also a LOT of clumsy foreshadowing. Like A LOT. I knew what was happening very early in the book.

Huge thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.
I finished another NetGalley book! I’ve gotta say, I don’t quite enjoy a Kindle read quite as much as a traditional book. I don’t know what it is, but swiping left on my screen just doesn’t feel the same as turning a page. There also for me seems to be a lost sense of where I am in the story without the physical book to guide me. Anyone else feel this same way?
Anyway, I mention all of this because I just finished the second book in the Croswald series, and I liked it, but I didn’t love it. I thought the author did a wonderful job of describing her rich world in great detail, and moved through the storyline at a good pace. Our protagonist, Ivy, finds herself in more adventures as she continues to search for the pieces of stone that the Dark Queen desperately wants. Ivy has a great group of friends that help her along the way, and she gets into plenty of action filled sticky situations. It had all the magic that the first book had, but I just found myself not quite as engaged as I was with book #1. I’m hoping it’s just me! Anyone else ever feel like that sometimes? Like that old break up line, “it’s not you, it’s me.” Yea, that’s how I feel about this one. It’s still reminiscent of the icon Harry Potter, so if you’re looking for something along those lines you may really enjoy this series. I’m always grateful to enter a magical world, and I’m sure I’ll be back for more! #mgread #mgfiction #netgalley #netgalleyreview #whatimreading #mgfantasy #goodreads #kidslit #childrenslit #middlegradereaders #middlegradebookstagram #mgbookstagram #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram #books #crownsofcroswald
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Night introduces you to even more fantasy, magic, and darkness in the sequel to Crowns of Croswald. The series picks up right where it left off, after the life threatening events at the Halls of Ivy masquerade ball. Ivy decides it's best to listen to her mentor and live in The Town for the summer, where she finds wonder, inspiration and new friends . Against her mentor's instructions, fate draws Ivy back to the Halls of Ivy for her second year. Ivy soon becomes full of doubt for returning when trouble followed her back to the halls. She realizes she's no closer to finding the missing pieces to the Kindred Stone and but is closer to finding herself face-to-face with the Dark Queen.

Another magical adventure full of detail and even more new aspects to the world of Croswald: star fishing, quogo, invisitaurs, and evil shades. Night's imagination is crawling with surprises. And her suspense building keeps you turning pages. But then...another surprise! She definitely left me wanting to read the third book immediately after finishing the second. Night also focuses on the story and the relationships built along the way. Even though there's chemistry between characters, there's not a lovey-dovey quality to it all. There are solid emotions being built like trust, loyalty, guilt, longing, but never anything that distracts the reader from the storyline.

After reading the sequel, I stand by my word: this book is for all ages! If you love magic and fantasy, you should read this series.
3.5/5 stars.

thank you to the publishers for sending me an ebook copy in exchange for an honest review

this was a pretty strong sequel to the first book and i enjoyed venturing further into the magical world of croswald. there were new creatures to encounter, new characters to meet, and more secrets to discover.

the characters and world both gained more depth, and the story only became more intriguing. i really loved the new characters introduced particularly the siblings glistle and gretta (and the quirky dwarves, hodge and podge). it was also nice to discover more about the characters we've already seen and get to know them better, especially derwin edgar night, whose past still remains somewhat of a mystery. i enjoyed the plot of this one, it was still a little predictable in places but the story was definitely more mysterious than the first! we also get to know the world in more depth, as we learn more about the school (i loved the secret society concept of the QQC), and also about the town which was a such a fascinating and dreamlike setting, with it's wish-granting stars and curious little shops and food - i didn't want to leave!

the only draw-backs i've had with this series so far are that the writing style doesn't click with me 100% of the time, and some of the dialogue feels a little unnatural at points - particularly with the characters being 16-19 but the books being aimed at middle grade, which means the characters seem a fair bit younger to me than they actually are.

however, these things only bothered me slightly and only at occasional points throughout the novel, and i did not find them hindering my enjoyment of the story - besides, i really don't think they would bother a middle-grade aged reader, which is the target audience. as well as this, i think the writing was stronger in this book than the first, so i feel like this is something that will continue to get better throughout the books, and as the author gains more experience and confidence!

overall, i think this series is a lot of fun and makes for a light, enjoyable, and magical read. there are so many brilliant characters, charming creatures (i still adore humboldt more than anything), and eccentricities in this magical world that i think middle-grade readers would be enchanted by and love to read! i certainly had a fun time with it.
This is the second book of the series that I reviewed not long ago.

I really loved the first book so I was a both excited and nervous about the second one not living up to the first. Fear not! Whilst the first book gives us the background, sets scenes and brings us the first drama, the second introduces more characters, and develops relationships, as well as ramps up the whole story.

Friendships are formed and strengthened, and I fell in love with “The Town”....I want to live there...and of course, the Dark Queen shows up again...

Really enjoyed the second book, one more to go...!!.

My thanks to Netgalley and Stories Untold for the copy in exchange for an honest review
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow (2019)

Disclaimer: I got a digital copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange of an honest review on all my bookish platforms.

The story continues hours after the end of the first book with students from the Halls of Ivy leaving the school for their summer break. With Ivy reuniting with her family's Scrivenist, Derwin Edgar Night, she was instructed to not come back to school for it is too dangerous for her, and find the remaining pieces of the Kindred Stone. Derwin believes the second piece of the stone is located at the Town, which is also the safest place for Ivy to be at.

Ivy discovered new things during her stay at Belzebuthe, the secret town where Scrivenist are free to use their magic without the fear of the Dark Queen. She spends her whole summer and half of the school year in Belzebuthe wherein she met new and interesting characters, joined a club called Quality Quills Clubs (QQC), learned of a new game called Quogo and having a never ending encounter with danger.

BELZEBUTHE - Reading about the Town was a magical experience, the way it was described makes me want to find a cabby and head there myself. And the stars! Don't get me started on how beautiful the stars are and I love how the people from Town can fish for the stars and grant wishes. This is the place to be when you want to learn about magic. AND I LOVE THE QUOGO GAMES.

I was so into the world of Croswald that I immediately requested for the second book. Even if this is categorized as Middle Grade book, I believe this book is open for all ages. It is an easy to read book, narrated in third person and with illustrations on the first page of every chapter. From the story line to the concept, it is absolutely incredible.

P.S. I am obsessed with the color of their uniforms just because I love every hues of violet and purples.
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow was unfortunately a disappointment. The world is somewhat interesting, but the characters and plot did little to expand and improve upon the already shack groundwork that was laid in the previous entry.
I have received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

Actual rating: 4.5

This review can be found on goodreads

-Synopsis-
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow was a great sequel to The crowns of croswald.
This book grabbed my attention firmly. I liked this books so much that I finished it during one sitting. I need to mention how I now want a Special Moonsday Milkshake they were described so good I need one asap! I loved going back to Ivy’s world and seeing her adventures.

-Setting-
This world is probably one of my favorites. I enjoyed learning more about Croswald during this book. I liked how croswald was developed. I hope in the next book we get to learn even more about this world!

-Writing-
The writing in this book was pretty good. The book had a pretty fast pace for me but that was fine. I liked discovering the game “Quogo” it was a great experience. All the characters were written beautifully. The magic was explained good and I understood everything. I do wish there were more class scenes in this book, I particularly enjoyed those. The book started where it left off and ended nicely.

-Characters-
One of my favorite parts of this book/series was the friendships and characters. It was so wholesome and sweet. Ivy’s relationship with Fyn and Rebecca developed greatly and I adored it. I feel as though Ivy could have had more character development. Her character was basically the same as the first book, which was okay but I wish there was more personality. Ivy is also a good role model for young children. She is a likable protagonist, she is brave and takes on challenges, people of all ages can love her, etc.

-Conclusion-
This was a nice sequel to the first book. I preferred this to the first. I would for sure recommend this book/series  to anyone.  There is magic, adventure, great characters in this book. If you are looking for any of that and much more definitely think about reading this series.
I liked this book so much more than the first one because it gave room for characters to grow. Ivy is growing into her own power and as a person, as well as her friends. The world was also expanded with characters travelling to new places and meeting new characters. The villain and her freaky entourage was both adequately scary and fascinating. The writing and character growth really tied this book in a nice little bow. Looking forward to see what happens next.
I liked this book so much more than the first book. And I don’t know why, to be honest. I think it was because I knew the characters better and I understood the plot better.

In this book Ivy needs to protect Croswald from the Dark Queen. After the Dark Queen came to the ball, Ivy isn’t safe anymore. She has to find the other two pieces of the Kindred Stone, before the Queen finds them. You follow Ivy in a series of magical events, fighting the Queen throughout the book, and you see the friendships growing with every page.

You see Ivy grow from a shy, poor maid to a rightful Queen. It’s beautiful to see how she accepts her faith and makes the best of it. And it’s amazing how her friends help her achieve her goals and keep her motivated. Also, the relationship between Ivy and Winsome Monocle is beautiful, and it was great to see how he helped her trough tough times.

Overall, I liked this book much more than the first one. And if you like magical school, with a unique magic system, this is a book for you. It was categorized as a middle-grade book, but I think readers of all ages can love this book.
This is the second book of a series to the number of books I don't know the amount of but I know there's 3 so far. I received this one from Netgalley and the publisher in return for a review.

We follow where we picked up directly after the first book and I like books that have done that so we have somewhat of a clear timeline but other than that there isn't a very well kept timeline.

I said in the last book review for this series that we need more Harry Potter themed books to get attention but some of the themes in this book sound like they were taken directly from Harry Potter or books like it and maybe we have to look over that or just use them as comparisons to who did the theme better.

I loved the first chapter art and I thought we were going to get more art like that and I got excited and then we went right back to the regular chapter art and I was less impressed but still very pretty to look at.

This one felt more like Ivy was rushed into doing things and it was a lot of the quill sport and you lose my attention at sports at all and I get disinterested. They hit me with a good little found family troupe though so I will give them that.

Honestly, the fact that nothing of importance with the stone happened until we were 70% in the book is a large reason this book does not have a higher rating from me. I understand that it's a middle-grade series but getting more done quickly would have been satisfying to me.

I'll be continuing the series, I love to support smaller publishing houses and authors so when I get the chance to sit down and buy the series on Kindle the whole series will be bought.
“‘Fyn,’ said Ivy.
‘Ivy,’ said Rebecca.
‘Yes, we all know each other’s names here.’”

**Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!**

first 40% of the book: 3 stars
last 60% of the book: 4 stars
total rating: 3.6 stars, rounded up to 4 stars!

While I did really enjoy the first book in this series, I also felt like it was pretty slow-moving, and that it didn’t seem that different from a typical “chosen one” story. I liked this book a lot better; the time at school was so much fun to read, and the plot was really exciting to follow along with.

This book was a lot faster-paced than the first one, but the first 40% of the book takes place over the Summer and just felt so slow-moving. I love the magic school setting, so I had a hard time paying attention when Ivy was spending time at Fyn’s house and thinking that she wasn’t going back to school.

I loved Ivy’s second year at school, as she came to terms with the high stakes in the magic world around the fact that she’s the next Queen. My favorite part of these books are the characters: I had so much fun reading more about Ivy and Fyn’s slow-burn friendship / romance, and her friendship with Rebecca, as well as the possible love triangle between Ivy, Fyn and Glistle. Most of all, I loved Fyn’s secret society!

As with the first book, the characters felt much younger than they were, and I feel like the plot moved a bit slower than I would have liked. Overall, I enjoyed it even more than the first book, and I am looking forward to reading the third book! This is definitely great fantasy series for Middle Grade readers!
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second book in The Crowns of Croswald series and picks up right where book one left off . . .

After having dealt with the Dark Queen at the ball and finding her family’s scrivenist - Derwin Edgard Knight, Ivy Lovely is swept off to the hidden town of Belzebuthe where she will continue her scrivenist/magic studies safely out of the Dark Queen’s reach.

However things do not go exactly as planned and Ivy ends back again at the Halls of Ivy on another adventure with her friends, her adorable scaldron Humboldt and a sinister shadow that seems to be following her.

I absolutely loved this book - the story is so whimsical and has this cozy vibe that makes you feel like you’re reading a fairytale. The characters are all lovable and I enjoyed getting to know each of them { I completely ship Ivy and Fyn } and meeting all the new ones that were introduced - I especially liked learning a bit more about Ivy’s scrivenist Derwin Edgar Night and hope to get even more info on him in the third book.

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is a fantastic read filled with magic and mystery. I’ll definitively be reading book three and recommend that you add it along with book 1 to your TBR list - because you can never have too many books right?
This is the second book in thr series and I'm thankful to NetGalley and the authors Publicist for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The story continues with Ivy leaving for a quest and also confronting the Dark Queen. Friendships were tested but emerged stronger.

The plot was good but I do wish there was more of the Dark Queen. Well paced. I loved the characters. Belzebuthe is amazing and Quogo is so much better than Quidditch. I really wanted to be a part of this fascinating, magical world. Overall an interesting read.
Usually the second in the series are not so great or are slow and just feel dragged, but this was very well written and made me finish it in one sitting. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
The second book in this series follows directly the events of the first book. Ivy is set up to once again find a stone, but this time she gets the help of Derwin Edgar Night, a character that has grown on me. Call me weak, but yeah, I am weak for mentor figures. That, and for people whose memories are a bit misty and so it makes it harder for them to help, which is also the case of Night. But he does remember this town, whose name should stay a secret. The small town setting then really came to live, which is complete with a tour through the town and Ivy even having a summer job there  for a short time. It is really interesting to read about how the magic works in this world, it never felt all over the place. On the contrary, it felt really planned out and I trusted the author with giving me information that was needed for the story to go further. What you see in most fantasy stories, is unfortunately, oversharing, which makes it as a reader hard to remember what is important and what isn’t. especially for me, since my memory sucks.

But it is as if this book and the author knew my memory does suck and so the book was only filled with information that turned out to be important. This doesn’t make the world building suffer, it only makes it better to understand and especially for people who are new to this genre!

The characters are once again a soft spot. Ivy learns from her mistakes, which is nice to read about, and wonders if what she is doing is right. Her struggle on page is only understandable and takes you as the reader on a journey that makes you wonder if you would have done the same. For the Dark Queen, her character still felt a bit flat for my liking, but slowly we get to know her better. There are more characters introduced, like students, and the adding of the club setting was really sweet to read about since it is a great way to explore how deep friendships can go. Or romance, which is really a slow burn and I’m also weak for those. The club setting also gave a more insight on how the magic works and because it came back multiple times, the book is great at reminding you how and why things work there.

The pacing of the story was a bit slower due all the set up that was done and made me sometimes wonder when the actions came. There were a few short-actioned moments, but overall they were set up for the last few pages, in which things went down for sure.

Overall, it is easy read, especially for people who want to read more fantasy but feel intimidated by it. I loved the mystery aspect of it as well, which had me guessing many times, as well as the magic system which we got to know more of, and even some more magical beasts. At the end, it is a sweet book about magic and friendship, two things I love to read about!
I will admit that I wasn’t in love with the first book in the series; mainly because I found myself making comparisons to other magical novels. Book two... it stands out in such an amazing, captivating way that I do not understand why everyone isn’t reading or talking about it!!

Ivy Lovely is our heroine and she is such a perfect main character, growing into her own and you really can’t help but love her. Our supporting characters can’t be forgotten either and I seriously adore them all for one reason or another. The Dark Queen is at times actually scary, along with her freaky entourage.

Once I hit that last 25% I just couldn’t draw myself away. I’m actually so excited about this book that I’m writing this review rather than getting some very much needed sleep. But I don’t want to give anything away, so just start on this series stat!!!

Thanks so much to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for my honest and unbiased opinion.