Cover Image: The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

After what happened at the Masquerade Ball Ivy Lovely learns the truth about her identity and is in danger of staying upon the Halls of Ivy so to keep her safe from the Dark Queen she must stay at the Town while finding the second Kindred Stone.

After spending time in Belzebuthe, she is summoned back to school only to find out what mystery and danger awaits her there.

"A slurry girl turned royal, an orphan denied her family’s right, with the magic of the moon settled inside her."

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second installment in The Crowns of Croswald series, and the story did get better than the first book. It got me hooked from the first chapter; this book is so entertaining I can imagine how the characters had fun, especially the Quogo parts of the book!😍

Great illustrations as same as the first book! Full of fun and surprises.

(I hate it that I can't talk much about the scenarios in the book without spoiling it; hence the short reviews about this series)

Best series to bring me back to fantasy books🥺💗.

Thank you NetGalley and StoriesUntold for the copy!
This book gave me all the feels - it was so good to get to explore the world more and step away from the school. This book felt more confident and I am so excited to read the next two. These will be going into my mini library at school.
Full of adventure and mystery!
It’s a slow burn but so worth it. The characters all have well developed backgrounds and it was so fun learning about the royal family and the Dark Queen
*NetGalley, Stories Untold and the author provided me with the ebook in exchange for an honest review*
Honestly, although I’m not the “target audience” for this book as it’s a middle grade fantasy, I still enjoyed it immensely. I find that the second book in a series tends to be better than the first, or the worst of the bunch and can tend to act as a filler. In this case, this book ended up being better than the first in my opinion, and I’m excited to see where the series leads.

I found this book had so much more originality than the first. As mentioned in my previous review, I didn’t dislike the use of other commonly used fantastical elements, but it was refreshing to see some more of that originality come to light. I found that I liked Ivy more in this book than the first as well, and her character building was more prominent.

The thing I probably enjoyed the most was the storyline. I didn’t except some of the plot twists, and we got to explore more of this world than I found we did in the first book. I loved the character relationships Ivy had/developed, and it made me attached to them whether they had an extensive role or not.

Again, if you’re into any kind of whimsical, atmospheric fantasy, I definitely recommend picking this up! Thanks again to the author + Stories Untold for this ebook!
I absolutely loved this book. This book brought me deeper into the fictional world that I love dearly. The adventure was gripping, the characters endearing, and overall unputdownable. It is the perfect book to escape from the world and slip into a magical adventure.
“I’ve got to figure out how to get a cabby the normal way”
“Let me show you Belzebuthe!”
“I’m thinking about calling it The Girl with the Whispering Shadow”
I thought book one but good but book two was great !!!!!
I absolutely loved every minute of Ivy’s story and I can’t believe I already finished it !!!
A story of friendship, family, mystery, dreams and the endless potential of magic. A book where instead of magicians with their wands we have scrivenists with their quills !!!!
Everyone can hold power in their hands but that’s the way they use that power that changes everything !!!
Ivy is a great character: curious, strong and kind, with a huge weight on her shoulder. Thankfully she has amazing friends who are part fo her life and keep standing on her side even during the hardest moments.
They are there both to fight alongside one another against their worst enemies, as well as having quill’s matches as the QQC (Quality Quills Club)!!!!!
And the time Ivy spends with Derwin is priceless !!! It felt a lot like the moments between Harry and Dumbledore while they experience the power of visiting memories and act of them !!!
A beautiful, magical city is the background of this second book and I felt enraptured by it !!!!
I’m so grateful I had the chance to read this second book and right now book three cannot be between my hands soon enough!!!!
“That’s the farthest star out, Star Solo”
“One of the most powerful abilities of scrivenists is that of spelling”
“You can be trapped in a castle, trapped in a scaldrony. Trapped by people. But the worst is being trapped by fear”
Thank you to at NetGalley and stories untold for giving me the chance to read read this.

I enjoyed enjoyed this first book so wanted to read this one as well. This one is my favourite of the 2. A great fantasy book that continues right were the first book left off. Ivy is trying to workout what she is to do next after finishing her first year.

She’s going to spend her summer holidays in Belzebuthe, in a town with a secret name. I loved all the magical elements in this book. The dark queen still being after Ivy and seeing how that all plays out.
Thanks to the author's P.A. for reaching out and sending me a copy of The Crowns of Croswald book 2- The Girl With The Whispering Shadow

This is my honest unbiased review on The Girl With The Whispering Shadow.
I was hesitant in reading this second book, the first reminded me so much of another popular magic school based series.
However, I went in open minded and eager to find out what happened next.

Ivy who is now the rightful Queen, has left the halls for the town of Belzebuthe
to continue to find the other pieces of the Kindred Stone. The Kindred Stone is the one thing that will be used against the Dark Queen. Upon her return Ivy and her friends have to battle Shadows and Shades.
Ivy has grown since Book 1 and is no longer the shy, clumsy girl. She is a strong character and the supporting characters have come into their own too. The Dark Queen is written as scary as possible for this age appropriate novel.
The writing is definitely stronger in this book compared to the first. The world building and the creativity grows more vivid.
The journey takes you on a real adventure.
I thought it was an enjoyable read
I received an e-book thrue netgalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to read the second installment of this series. 😍😍😍🤗🤗🤗

We are back in the magical world of Croswalds and the Halls with Ivy and her friends.  And the battle with evil has truly began.

The second book takes of directly after the first one ended. And it was soooooo amazing 🤩🤩🤩

The description of the town Belzebuthe and all the shops and stores, and al the food 😋😍 the atmosphere of the town, the people and everything about it, you can literally see and feel it.

In this second book Ivy's battle with the evil queen 👑 is more intense. And this book is quite darker than the first one.

I would love to se a movie done with this concept like yesterday. 😍🤩
I can't really say if I did enjot this book than the 1st because I had a fair share of like, okay, huh in this one and also some confusing parts that really didn't made sense for me?

This book is kind of bland as well as pretty much a fair share of forgettable aspects and points that totally made no sense for me?

I'm pretty sure I'm discontinuing this series because I just don't' get the appeal any more.
Thankyou so much for the opportunity to read this in exchange for my honest review. I found this one a lot more easier to read than the first one therefore I got more into it and the book flowed so smoothly and was much easier to read. I loved how D.E. Night really made the town come to life through words and it did wonders to my imagination. Thankyou again for the opportunity to read this
Firstly thank you to Netgalley for the e-arc!! 🥰❤️

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is definitely a step up from the first book, it’s so much meatier!! There’s a lot more depth to everyone and I enjoyed getting more from the plot and being with Ivy. I enjoyed learning more about the magic system and moving on with the story with everyone. I did find it a little predictable but I loved it none the less, the second half of the book was so crazy I just couldn’t put it down!! ❤️❤️

I enjoyed this book just as much as I did the first book. It has the same familiar feel to me (There are lots of similarities between this series and a certain other middle grade book…) and as an adult I would definitely recommend it to fellow adults who like reading middle grade as well as middle grade readers themselves!! 🥰🥰
Wow! This 2nd book of the series is full of adventure, danger, thrills, emotional rollercoaster and leaves me in cold sweat sometimes. Even now 5 minutes after reaching the end of the story, I can feel my heart thumping rapidly in my chest. The cover page is enthralling too, drawing me into this magical world in the book. I can’t wait to read book 3, and I can see book 4 is being published in 3 weeks!
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow, is a well written middle school fantasy book. I loved the continued world building, adventure, and meeting new characters.
A fun sequel to a magical middle grade series. This book was just as much fun as the first book and added a lot to Ivy's story. The Town was such an interesting place, and I enjoyed the whimsical, atmospheric feelings I got while reading. Ivy is a fun character, and I'm very interested to see how some of her new friendships develop. I'm very excited to see where the rest of the series leads!
This is a well-made sequel; though it was predictable at times, it was still a quick and enjoyable read getting more and more suspenseful as Ivy’s story progressed. The second book picks up where the first book left off, at the end of the school year, and Ivy is about to leave the Halls of Ivy. She’s going to spend her summer holidays in Belzebuthe, the secret hidden town that lies protected from the Dark Queen behind magic clouds. Ivy’s staying with her friend, Fyn, and discovers more of her magic, the Town and its magic, the world, the past, and her family’s history. She makes new friends, joins a club where they use old quills to battle each other (which was a bit confusing at first), and looks for a way to find the second fragment of the Kindred Stone.

It was interesting to learn more about the magic system, what happened in the past, the Dark Queen’s plan, Ivy’s role, the prophecy, seeing Ivy grow and become more confident in using her magic. There are also new mysteries; dangerous quills disappearing from their prison, a girl with a whispering shadow, someone helping the Dark Queen get closer and closer to Ivy and the Kindred Stone. The second part of the book was exciting and suspenseful, making me look forward to the next two books in the series.
D.E Night does it again! Another great adventure with Ivy and her friends. We meet so many new people it's almost hard to keep track of them all.  We start this book in the secret city of Belzebuthe which is SOOOO beautifully described. It is for sure my favorite city with in this universe. The artificial stars that are made from wishes?! Gorgeous. But that's also what made the ending of this book so sad ahhhhh. Some new creatures were also introduced to the story and they never disappoint. I'm glad that the use of Hairies was explained in more detail and they aren't just forced to be lanterns but they actually find confinement comforting and safe. Can't wait to read the next one!
While I liked the first book, I loved the second one. The writing was sublime and it was a great story. It was really nice to be back in the world of Croswald!

The world building once again becomes one of the best parts of this book. The descriptions and the atmosphere transport you to these magical places. (Belzebuthe is such an incredible town).

I like the direction Ivy's character has taken. She has found her place, she knows who she is and she knows what she has to do. I also really like her friendship with Rebeca, I love that they support each other, it's nice to see solid friendships between girls…and I loved seeing the relationship grow between Ivy and Fyn.

I personally find this story a bit darker than the first book. I think this is more of a young adult series than a middle grade series. (And I loved it)

D.E. Night did a wonderful job with book two. I’ll definitely read 3rd book very soon.

**Thanks to the publisher for providing this book in exchanging for an honest review.
The second in this YA fantasy series. We are straight back into the action with Ivy and her magical world. I loved the drama and the characters remained great, I did however find it a little predictable. Friendship, romance and lots of excitement, a great YA sequel. I look forward to reading the next instalment.
This series is whimsical and delightful! The story picks up where the previous one left off and deepens the magic system and mythology. Ivy is really growing into her own and very lovable as a main character. The Dark Queen as a villain is actually pretty scary and the stakes are slowly starting to get very real. Delightful series!

Thank you to NetGalley and Untold Stories Publishing for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.