Cover Image: Bone Chase

Bone Chase

Break out the antique logs and help find the Giants or so it was to be...
However, the ultimate premise is not in losing your audience with information overload but rather keeping interest and this one didn't entice me to read about monsters, giants, six fingered people or whatever else was tossed the readers way.
It was bizarre, strange, and felt more of a slow sinking quicksand that a riveting new work and sadly I couldn't enjoy myself in this new work by Weston Ochse.
As noted variety is the spice of life and this was geared up for readers who enjoyed the DaVinci Code and if you're one of those readers than you may just welcome this one.
I hope you do and find it enjoyable.
Thank you to Weston, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
I don't care

Guy gets hooked on a bit of Biblical trivia and obsesses. Decides to tell the world about it through a supposed thriller along the Dan Brown model. I don't care about the Biblical trivia and I don't want to read a blog disguised as a book.
Bone Chase was a book that I tried very hard to like because the premise was right up my alley, however, I felt that this title desperately needed more fine-tuning, particularly with regards to the structure and overall writing.

The novel was advertised as being a perfect fit for fans of The Da Vinci code, however, I feel that is a gross overstatement as what The Da Vinci Code accomplishes with its incredible blending of science, lore, and creative fiction, Bone Chase utterly lacks. The premise is rather fascinating, however, there is no concrete sense of structure to the writing that helps support the interesting idea behind the story. For a tale such as this, there needs to be a natural interconnection between the history, lore and facts, and the creative elements to help drive it forward in a believable manner. If the writing leans too much towards one side or the other, then it risks a humongous disconnect and fracture between all of the pieces, which is what happens with Bone Chase.

There are walls of text explaining the more technical aspects of the material that the narrative is built upon, and it reads like a textbook rather than a work of fiction. I love science and dense, complicated writings on lore, but when that information is provided on a very awkward platter that completely clashes with everything around it, it can create a very frustrating and inherently boring reading experience. I could never full engage with anything that was happening. Couple that with utterly flat and superficial characters who lacked any realm of depth, then the finished product is a rough-hewn mess of dissatisfaction.

The build-up also seems to take a very long time in spite of the action and revelations that occur, which then totally fizzled out by an abrupt ending that was horridly rushed, almost as if the author ran out of pages to continue and offer a proper finale. Given the messy nature of the rest of the book, this really didn't come as a surprise, but it also didn't make it any less disheartening. Also, the depiction of gender roles and the stereotypical mould of "men's roles" and "women's roles" felt immensely discomforting and I can't see that sitting well with a lot of readers, especially in today's social environment. When compared to everything else the book was trying to accomplish, it felt incredibly outdated and out-of-place.

Overall, Bone Chase has a good idea behind it, however, it really needed much more meticulous and careful crafting to it. The attention to detail was average at best, leaving behind plot holes. The contrast between the facts, technical data and creative facets was vivid and grating. The characters' lack of development, or any sense of individualistic personality really, promotes an apathetic environment. There was no air of suspense and tension that is typical to a novel such as this, making me question its "thriller" tag. It is decidedly not a good idea to compare this to The Da Vinci Code because the differences therein are as bright and discernable as night and day, hot and cold. As it stands, I do not recommend this book.
DNF at 12%.

Many thanks to Saga Press for the NetGalley ARC, but this story is straining credulity too much for me to continue any further.

Much of this comes down to the manner in which the story is presented. Weston Ochse thrusts us headlong into a narrative in which the characters know so much more about what's happening than the reader. This, in turn, makes for a disorienting read and demands that the reader accept these spurious claims and leaps of logic involving the existence of giants and global conspiracy to keep them secret despite there being no narrative build-up to invest in similar beliefs alongside the reader. We're given no real reason for the characters themselves to believe these outlandish ideas, and I'm at a loss as to why I'm supposed to believe it just as readily. These opening chapters come off more like a random drunk, demented guy on the subway ranting conspiracy theories at you and expecting you to run off with him to uncover the truth despite just having met the man.

Early blurbs have compared this book to James Rollins and Dan Brown. Say what you will about those authors, but at least they took the time to invest in world building and presenting their fictional evidentiary findings to goad you along. Here, there's little reason to buy into the fantastical and of the four chapters I've read this morning, each bit grows more ludicrous than the previous, and then I finally hit the perfect line to decide to call it quits on, in which "the woman backed out of her car, not carrying a baby but a shotgun."

Ah, the ol' baby-shotgun switcharoo. Yep. I'm out.
This book claims to be perfect for fans of Dan Brown, but I would caution fans of Dan Brown before picking this up.  While this absolutely had a premise that would snag a Dan Brown fan, I think the blurb hyped this book up so much, I was bound to be let down when reading it.  The characters are not well created, which leads to a very flat feeling throughout the story.  I also felt like I was reading a textbook through all the ancient texts and terminology. This book had a lot of potential, but it didn't quite achieve what it was claiming.

I was provided a gifted copy of this book for free. I am leaving my review voluntarily.
The science, mathematics, and biblical explanation portions of Bone Chase were relatively frequent, which bogged down the story for me. I found them tedious, to be honest. I was relieved at the introduction of the third member of the “team” because Ethan and Shanny’s theories, musings, etcetera often needed an explanation in layman’s terms. The DaVinci Code was written without making you feel like you had an inadequate background on the subject or lost in what it was trying to prove. The history behind the giants was quite intriguing, in addition to the intended or unintended mistranslations of text and languages over time.

Ethan was honestly a little underwhelming, hard to connect with, and childish for someone in the primary role of a book like Bone Chase. There’s also the factor that he was a high school math teacher, not that there’s anything wrong with that. I just had a hard time reconciling against a character like Professor Robert Langdon in The DaVinci Code. I felt like Matt’s character and backstory could have been better developed, especially since he seemed significant to Ethan’s father. I don’t feel like any of the people in the story have enough backstory or development to establish much of a connection with them, and since I didn’t connect with Ethan – it made me care less and less about what happened to most everyone.

After all the buildup, it felt choppy to get thrown into the situation Ethan finds himself in and what he witnesses. The first two-thirds of Bone Chase is reasonably fast-paced, has its fair share of narrow escapes, and action – yet it felt rushed. The ending also felt rushed, as if the journey there took too long, and everything needed to be organized and boxed up for a neat conclusion.

I would possibly recommend this book to readers who enjoy mystery, thriller, supernatural beings, and myths. As always, a big thank you to Gallery/Saga Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read a digital ARC of Bone Chase – all opinions are my own. *Rounded up from 2.5 stars*
This is the 2020s answer to The Da Vinci Code. Part thriller, part history lesson, part conspiracy theory, this book had me hooked. Step aside, Robert Langdon, a new scholar sleuth is in town, and he means business.
Ethan is a jobless High School math teacher who hasn’t exactly been telling his parents about his current employment issues. When his father dies suddenly and leaves him a box with clues to a centuries-old mystery, Ethan feels like he needs to find those answers. Is there an ancient race of giants who are integral at weaving humanity’s path? Ethan will find himself shot at and running all over the states to find the solution.

Billed as a National Treasure/ DaVinci Code-type thriller, the plot doesn’t let up very often… But while you’re going to find a non-stop chase, parts of the story don’t exactly stick together well, and I will get to that in a bit.

One of the first things Ethan does is hook back up with his ex… she’s smart, she cares about him, and she’s an ex-soldier. Everything Ethan will need to keep the Six-Fingered man and the Council of David away. The many legions and allies are out for the duo. And in this sense, I find Dean Koontz’s Jane Hawk series to be a much better fictional world to compare to…

And here comes the balance in my review… But unlike Koontz, Ochse’s transitions between the “real” world and the scifi elements are often rough and necessitate a rather large leap. In the business of deep-state conspiracy writing, it’s hard to keep the illusion up without that (fictional) credible evidence. It mostly comes up in those transitions between dashes from one clue to the next.

While Bone Chase is loaded with those thriller-tensions, the ties that bind the plot don’t always work together.

3 out of 5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley, Gallery/ Saga, and the author for an advanced copy for review.
The sixth time is not the charm. That is how many of Weston Ochse's books I've now read, and this is the first to disappoint. It has an interesting premise, and it seems he did quite a bit of research on it, but the execution is lacking the usual tense progression and solid character development. It's more a series of set pieces that don't add up to a satisfying conclusion.
This was a very unique story. I wasn’t expecting to read about Giants, but I really enjoyed it. I like how there’s certain parts where the author is taking information from other sources and connects it all together.

It was a fascinating read and really enjoyed the characters.
For me, this was a thriller which lacked the fundamental "thrill." It was neither titillating in action nor was its psychology pulse-climbing in any anticipatory degree. The premise of Bone Chase, like giants themselves, had enormous potential but the narrative itself sputtered its plot, characterization, and suspense like a punctured balloon. The characters were affable enough, I suppose, but they lacked substance. Dimension. Personality.

The story suffered from a lack of depth overall. Readers are never afforded a sufficient explanation as to why these "bone hunters" are willingly hurling themselves headfirst into danger to unearth the whole giants-do-exist underground. Nor are we given good reason as to how or why Ethan's father became involved in particular, or why he'd pass the torch to his son after he died. Furthermore, there's little distinction between the two rival factions and what they want. Their justifications for going after bone hunters like Ethan are frail at best, non-existent at worst. Even the giants were a disappointment because the footprints they left behind made no indentation on my imagination at all. They simply...faded into obscurity.

I wanted so much to love this but ended up struggling to simply like it.

Thanks so much to NetGalley and Gallery Books/Saga Press for the ARC in exchange for my review.
I love conspiracy books and this one was very good. I liked the characters and the plot was good.  Some places I bogged down reading details but overall I really liked it.
Many thanks to Gallery Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This book was not interesting to me and not an enjoyable read. It was convoluted and unclear and more of a task than pleasure.
I was pretty excited by the premise of this book and the opening chapters. However, that excitement quickly dwindled to confusion and frustration as it was never really clear what exactly Ethan's quest was (solving a murder? locating giants? avoiding capture?)  and the pages and pages of non-fiction excerpts took me out of the story and the action. I think this book had a lot of potential but was ultimately not for me.
While in some ways, this book reminded me of Dan Brown, in others it didn't. Dan Brown's books are like watching movies where I am immersed in an entire story, not unlike watching a movie. This book, though very interesting, was like reading a non-fiction book at times. I like non-fiction, but when I am reading fiction, I want it to be all fiction. The technical writing was a bit too much at times, and I found myself skipping over parts. Sometimes Robin Cook can get that with his medical thrillers. Overall, a very interesting premise, which was entertaining to read, but not life-changing.
Ethan McCloud is summoned by his father and given a box. His father drops dead and Ethan, believing
his father was murdered, begins the quest that the box dictates. Accompanied by his ex-girlfriend, Shannon, he pursues a six-fingered man, the Council of David and Giants who have roamed the earth for thousands of years. Everyone they meet on their journey seems to want to kill them or is eventually killed in front of them. When he confronts an actual Giant, he experiences “giant awe,” a physical reaction to seeing such a creature. Unfortunately, I do not share in this awe. From start to finish, I was confused as to the purpose and the results of his quest. Weston Ochse provides chapter prequels revealing various references to giant-lIke creatures throughout history. They did not interest me; they became redundant. There is an audience for this novel, but I am not a member.
I enjoyed this book.  I would recommend it to others and I would like to read more from this author in the future.
People love a good adventure story and Weston Ochse does his best to serve one up here. The main point of the story - are/were giants real - is enough of an attention-grabber to make people pick this up. However, only the most diehard readers and fans of the action-adventure genre will likely stick it out. There is a lot of dry technical detailing here, which sometimes overwhelms the juicy descriptive action of the characters.

Fans of Clive Cussler, Steve Berry, and even James Rollins will find this appealing.
Really enjoyed this book.  I had only a vague notion about giants in ancient texts.  I found it incredibly interesting and I would recommend the book to my friends.
2 1/2 Stars

Being a fan of The Da Vinci Code, I was quite excited about The Bone Choice as it gave out similar vibes. Unfortunately it wound up being a bit of a disappointment. Ethan was a affable protagonist, but some of his decision making left me scratching my head. I never truly understood the difference between the two groups after him, nor was I able to attain a full grasp on their motivations. And what could have been an enjoyable plot was further complicated by numerous technical details and ancient archaeological log entries which disrupted the flow of the narrative. In the end, The Bone Chase just wasn’t for me.