Cover Image: The Day I Disappeared

The Day I Disappeared

It took me a few chapters to get hooked on the story. But it was definitely worth it!  This is a must read for anyone who loves mysteries and thrillers!  One of the most riveting books I have read this year!
I really enjoyed this book. At the beginning, I rolled my eyes and though ‘great, another unreliable drunk/drugged narrator’, however, I was surprised by how into the book I got. I will say it took me a few chapters to get into things, with some unexpected turns, and an ending I didn’t see coming until about 80% through I thoroughly enjoyed it. 4 stars!
I loved this book. I didn’t know who to trust the narrator was unreliable There was like 3 different stories going on. Loved every single second of this book. I now need to read everything the author has written.
Brandi Reeds is a well regarded Young Adult author using the pen name "Sasha Dawn". Her young adult titles are well regarded, with various library associations including her titles on their annual best books for teens.

The day I disappeared continues her move into the Adult suspense market. Writing about child abduction can be problematic. It is difficult to not become swallowed into the morass of
blame and retribution. Conventional wisdom does not apply to the survivors. Skilled therapy is often denied. An adult survivor is often expected to be a walking wounded individual.

This is the case for Holly. Only 4 years old when abducted she was held for three months. When she was returned, she had no memory of her kidnapping. Her childhood friend, Kitty, who was a witness seemed to gain more from the notoriety than Holly. Now an adult, Holly is experiencing flash backs to her trauma. She has been contacted by the police, who are asking for her help.
Another child is missing, one who closely resembles 4 year old Holly. In addition there have been a series of abductions that mirror the original kidnapping. Perhaps the man imprisoned is innocent.

One hopes that post abduction a child's life would be trauma free. This was not to be for Holly. Her mother, who at the time of the abduction had a 'drinking problem' slid into alcoholism. Her father
became a classic enabler. Holly sought refuge with Kitty's family. Would this be her salvation?

In the present, Holly's mother lies in a coma; the result of a single car accident. Or, was it a suicide attempt. Reed's uses a literary convention of giving Cecily the ability of lucid thinking while she is comatose. As someone who has a professional knowledge of individuals with TBI's (Traumatic Brain Injuries) I know this is simply not true. While a useful way to move the plot, this trope was distracting.

Reeds shows some other plot lines that are becoming cliched. Most of the discussion of addiction and enabling appear to be conventional. Another problem for me was most of the characters were unlikable. Her BFF Kitty in rampant Bridezilla form was particularly annoying. The puzzle was convoluted, but the author did play fair. This author shows a lot of promise. I will enjoy seeing her talent grow over the years to come.

Full disclosure: I received this ARC from netgalley and Lake Publishing in exchange for an unbiased review. Thank you for this opportunity

Full disclosure; I received this ARC from netgalley and Lake Publishing in exchange for an unbiased review.  Thank you for this opportunity.
Holly is kidnapped at the age of five and is left on a park bench in the snow months later with no idea about how she got to the park or her life for the last 90 days. Holly has never been able to remember anything that happened to her during that time and when the novel opens she is celebrating her best friend, Kitty's engagement. A detective calls her and requests a meeting to talk to her about what happened when she was five. Holly seems to be well adjusted and working for her father's construction company, but she soon begins to question everything when questions about her kidnapping are raised. Alongside the chapters of Holly in present day are the chapters where her mother s explaining what happened to her before her accidnet
Ahhhh soo good! Is blood thicker than water? How far will you go to be with the ones you love? What are you willing to cover up for a family member! This book was crazy good and asked some tough questions about love and loyalty. It was so thrilling
Pretty good book. Lots of twists and turns.  Characters were likable. Slightly drawn out but overall decent.
I REALLY enjoyed this book! The twists and turns kept coming and every time I thought I knew what was next I was instantly proved wrong! Comes out in August! Make sure to add it to your TBR list! Thanks @netgalley, @lakeunionauthors for the ARC!
When four-year-old Holly disappears from a local park, her family are frantic. When she reappears, in that same park, three months later, all they want to do is move on from what they thought would be a tragic ending. For Holly, that should be easy - she's young, and she doesn't remember a thing about her ordeal.  For her mom, dad, and close friends, however, moving on is harder. Each is holding onto secrets about the day Holly went missing, secrets that could blow their families apart.
Fast forward twenty years later and Holly is a not-so-well-adjusted young woman haunted by the fact she can't remember such an important time in her life. She's convinced if she did, she might get on better with her mom (currently in hospital after a near-fatal car crash) and have made of her life. She might also not be feeling quite so distance from her best friend, who's about to get married. Instead, flashes from her past keep her tied to it.
This gets worse when the FBI contact her to say another young girl has gone missing. She looks just like Holly did when she was a child.  And now, it seems, they might not be the only girls to have been taken. There are others, which throws the little Holly does know into question. Determined the next twenty years of her life won't be like the last, Holly decides to start looking for answers, not avoiding them. Of course, when she does, all those secrets people were trying to hard start to be revealed.
I do love a book with secrets. There is nothing better than not quite knowing what is going on in a book, of being desperate to work things out before it's all revealed. And it's the secrets that make this book so good. There are plenty of them, and most are red herrings - you just don't know that for most of the book.  Brandi Reed does a great job of keeping you on tenterhooks at the same time as not letting it go so far that it all becomes just a bit silly - a common feature of these type of psychological thrillers.
And while the plot is familiar in some ways, it's different enough that that familiarity is comforting, not boring. Mainly this is with the characters - a young woman with demons and a handsome but possibly untrustworthy boyfriend (or two). Each is well-drawn, however, and compelling. I didn't want any of the boyfriends to be the bad guy, yet I did love the fact that each was on my 'hit list' at some point.  It made for a fun and interesting read. And it's why I'd recommend this book - it's well worth a read!
I enjoyed most aspects of this book!

I liked both Holly and Cecily, between whose POVs the story alternates. I liked that they are complicated and messy and imperfect, yet still share this great bond of love.

I liked that the plot was complicated. I managed to guess certain aspects of it but others were a surprise.

I also thought the writing was very good.

The only downside for me was that I found certain plot points a little far fetched. Also I felt that a particular character death was glossed over too quickly.

Overall, though, a very enjoyable read.
Everything about this book screamed to me. The title told me it would be about some sort of mystery or abduction, and I've been hooked on thrillers lately so I grappled on. In just the first few pages, I could feel the author grabbing onto me, saying, "Keep reading! I promise you won't be disappointed!" SPOILER ALERT: She was right. I wasn't!

"The Day I Disappeared" alternates between the POV of Holly, who was abducted at age 3 and then returned, almost unscathed, three months later, and her alcoholic mother, Cecily, who narrates all of her thoughts from a coma. With both narrators being scarred from their past and, in turn, relatively unreliable, it made for an intriguing read! Is Holly remembering correctly, or are these just dreams? Was Cecily too drunk, or blinded by her demons, to remember correctly?

Once I started Reeds' novel, I could barely put it down. I read it in just two sittings, with the twisty, dark plot captivating me at every turn. Every time I thought I knew who done it, something made me change my mind. It was well-paced, with enough action to keep me intrigued the entire time.

The one thing that bothered me was the MC's best friend, Kitten. First off, who names a character Kitten? Sorry, that irked me. She was just a total bridezilla and I didn't feel like that was necessary to the story; it was more aggravating. To be fair, she got better towards the end!

I highly recommend this for fans of Gone Girl or The Wife Between Us!
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC. Holly was abducted as a 5 year old but was returned home, unharmed 90 days later. Now, with someone in jail, 10 other girls have been abducted. Can she help? It was good but I figured it out. #thedayidisappeared #brandireeds #aug2020
Thank you Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing⁣
⁣
I give you this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. It's a story about a little girl who was kidnapped but returned to her family after a few months, and this little girl grew up without any memories of those months she spent with her kidnapper. Now, as an adult, she found out that there more kidnapping going on, and the victims are mostly little girls. She wants to help, and everything started to unfold. There are many deceptions about this story, a sensible plot, and no way of telling who's the real villain right away. I truly enjoyed it; it's a page-turner. ⁣
"Virtually unharmed, there she sat at the top of the slide in the very park from which she'd been taken, in a pristine white nightgown, with crystalline snow falling all around her. The eighth of January. Her homecoming."

Holly cannot remember anything about her ninety-four-day abduction from a park. She cannot remember where, why or when she was taken. After being returned with only a injury on her arm her family life remained in shambles. Her father continuously ignored her questions of the kidnapping and her mother's alcoholism continued. A man based on the description her childhood friend Kitten gave was arrested and convicted for her kidnapping.

Now twenty years later, Holly begins to have small snip its of memories about her abduction. It is when Officer Guidry calls her to ask questions she is told that the man arrested for her abduction could be the wrong person or there is a copycat because new cases are mirrored to hers but the girls are being murdered. Holly becomes determined to remember her abduction, but her father is not answering questions and her mother, Cecily, who police believed knew more about Holly's abduction then she told, is lying in a coma after a car accident. The answers need to come soon as Holly maybe the only person who holds the answers to where the last kidnapped little girl is being kept.

I very seldom finish a book in a day. This book grabbed my attention from the first page. Brandi Reeds does a fabulous job intertwining Holly's perspective and Cecily’s to keep readers engaged. The characters are built wonderfully, and the plot builds with each chapter. Just when you think you know who the kidnapper is and why they did it, a twist is thrown in to make you keep reading until the end.

I would like to thank Brandi Reeds, NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for a chance to read this ARC.
Thanks netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this in return for an honest review.

I thought it was a bit slow to get going after the initial prologue. However, there were plenty of twists, so you had no idea how it was going to end. I would definitely recommend this to anybody who is a fan of mystery thrillers
The Day I Disappeared is a suspenseful page turner that keeps you hooked and on the edge of your seat trying to predict what will come next.
I received an ARC of this book, thank you netgalley. This book was really good, it was a page turner for me and it kept me guessing right to the end. There were a few good twist and turns of events which was really good and for me I didn't find out easily who it was, which was good.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! No spoilers. Beyond amazing I enjoyed this book so very much. The characters and storyline were fantastic. The ending I did not see coming  Could not put down nor did I want to. Truly Amazing and appreciated the whole story. This is going to be a must read for many many readers. Maybe even a book club pick.
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.
Expected pub date: August 25, 2020
“The Day I Disappeared” is the fourth novel by author Brandi Reeds, although she has previously written some YA novels under a pseudonym. This novel was my introduction to Ms. Reeds, and I was thrilled to be a part of it.
Holly Gebhardt was kidnapped at four years old, taken right in front of her mother and best friend at a local park. Three months later, she was returned to the same park, unharmed and completely without any memory of what had happened to her. Twenty years later, Holly is working as a journeyman in her father’s construction business and is trying to balance her on-again-off-again relationship with her mother’s illness. When girls start disappearing, and clues that indicate they may be related to Holly’s case start appearing, Holly is drawn back to those days she was missing. The man who allegedly kidnapped Holly is behind bars, but why are girls disappearing in the same exact way, and why are they all being found dead? Who kidnapped Holly and, most importantly, why was Holly left alive?
This novel is told from two viewpoints. Although Holly is our main protagonist and most of the story is hers, we still get snippets of the story told from Cecily, Holly’s mother, as she lies in a hospital in a coma, incurred after an auto accident. Both views are particularly intriguing- Holly relives her kidnapping through the brief glimpses of memories she has from those months, and Cecily gives the relevant background information, which provides suspect theories and character development. The story being told this way increases the suspense, and allows the reader to become immersed in the dramatic plot.
As characters are introduced, there are individuals who can be eliminated as suspects right away. But there are a few remaining ones who linger at the back of your mind like an itch, as they have just enough suspicion to garner a possibility. I thought I had the entire ending of this story figured out—until I didn’t.
Well told and suspenseful, this novel tells the story of a missing girl and turns it on its head. Suspects are introduced and carefully eliminated and the ending of the novel provides a succinct and satisfying conclusion. Although I wasn’t 100% sold on this novel at the beginning, once it pulled me in, “The Day I Disappeared” became one heck of a page turner.
Wasn't my type of book. I finished it, but I struggled. It was well written but not my kind of story. Would recommend to someone else though.