Cover Image: Island Affair

Island Affair

I had a really hard time with this book. Ive been constantly picking up and dropping this book since I’ve gotten it. For me, I was lacking the excited feeling of reading a new book or even feel invested in this story. If a book doesn’t captivate me 10 chapters in I have a hard time finishing it and sadly this was the case with this book.

I didn’t like Sara’s  character from the beginning or how easily she was able to drop one relationship and move on to the next. I felt she was written poorly with with very little likability. I did enjoy Luis. He seemed endearing at the start but the underlying issues he was facing internally felt out of place for his character.

The writing was hard for me to follow. At times it felt choppy and sentences or paragraphs lacked smooth transitions. I would be reading if once scene and didn’t realize there was a change in scenes until well into the paragraph. I felt like some scenes early on were misplaced. I had a hard time seeing the two main characters in certain situations before any form of a relationship was established.

I did enjoy the culture this book had. It was refreshing to see two people speaking their native tongue. The author did a great job intertwining both English and Spanish. Having speak no Spanish, I completely understood the Spanish phrases because of the context surrounding them. I also loved the family dynamic between the two main characters. It was nice to see how different the family connection could be.

All in all this book was not for me. I had a lot of problems in the beginning which lead to me not finishing it.
Priscilla Oliveras
Publication date 4/28/20

I really enjoyed Island Affair it was  quick, fun, feel good story! Sara, a social media specialist has a family vacation planned. They are celebrating her Mom because after a battle of cancer she is now in remission.  Sara is blindsided when her boyfriend flakes out and will be a no show.  Louis is also having a bad day- he was just told by his boss to take the week off after an incident at the Firehouse. Sara and Louis meet at the perfect time. Louis is a kind hearted and compassionate guy, Sara asks him if he will pretend to be her boyfriend for the week. Sounds a little cheesy and like a movie but there is so much to the storyline and it may be fate that brought Sara and Louis together. They are both dealing with regrets, forgiveness, and letting go..... The island Affair will whisk you away to Key West and is bound to make you laugh and cry at the same time!
Thank you to NetGalley for this electronic ARC in exchange for my honest review.

www.instagram.com/donnasnotsosecretbookdiary

Twitter
@donna64619247

Goodreads

Facebook

#islandaffair #priscillaoliveras #bookstagram #booklover #bookworm #booknerds #booksofinstagram #booklife #bookofthemonth #bookbub #bookclub #bookclubs #bookclubbook #ilovereading #bookaholic #bookaddict #bookadvisor #betweenthechapters  #goodreadsgiveaway #goodreads #100bookchallenge
#BOTM #readacrossinstagram #readingnook #bookreviewer
For those of use who have been to Key West, this will be an enjoyable reminder of the sights and flavor. It may inspire others to visit. A cute meet and arrangement begin a sweet love story. As usual, I skipped the intimate details. The two families involved were interesting and realistic. A few tears may have been shed.. I look forward to reading the next one in this new series.
Island Affair is the perfect book to read on holiday or by the pool, due to the current lockdown situation, I was doing neither of these whilst reading but it definitely transported me to the idyllic beauty of Key West! I can see this being a huge hit for romance fans and readers who are in search of romance novels with more diverse representation. Luis (the male lead) is Cuban and the author herself is Latinx, and is Puerto rican-Mexican, which brings authentic cultural elements which add a lot to the book. The focus on family for instance and the interweaving use of Spanish within the book was great.

I think many readers are familiar with the 'fake dating' trope at this point but it never gets old for me! I liked reading as Sara and Luis meet and the plan is hatched and then executed - not without a few bumps in the road of course. I think I would have liked a bit more time before this occurred, it did feel a little fast but it was still fun to read so this is more of a personal preference in pacing. The romance itself had the right balance of sweet and sexy for me, with there being depth to their relationship as they get to know each other and encourage each other to sort out what has been bothering them. Luis is like the epitome of the romantic hero, the strong silent type with a heart of gold.

I also appreciated that the author chose to include Sara's struggles with an eating disorder in the past, and that she is in recovery and doing well. I think this will be encouraging for readers who may be experiencing something like this or have been through an ED in the past and I feel like it was sensitively approached. This was relatable to me in a lot of ways and representation of this kind is not something I've seen in a romance novel before so it was a refreshing element for sure.

Overall, probably more of a one time read for me but I did enjoy it and would recommend to fans of the romance genre and specifically the fake dating trope. It is a bit cliched at times but this is the ideal read if you're in the search for a wholesome romance novel with likeable characters and nothing too heavy!
This book probably wouldn’t happen in real life but it was a fun, enjoyable read.  Sara Vance comes to Key West for a family vacation and with her boyfriend Ric. Ric doesn’t show up.  Luis Navarro is a firefighter who is on a forced leave from his job.  Meet-cute Sara and Luis. He agrees to be her “boyfriend “ for the week, so she doesn’t look like a failure.  I loved this romance rich in family and culture.  I can’t wait for more in this series.
Cute, rom-com type book.  The characters were likeable and the setting in Key West was very imaginable as you read.  I am not sure if it is because I do not usually read this genre, but I felt the writing was repeatable and it took along time to move the story forward.  It definitely picks up a little half way through.
After being stood up by her fiancé before a family vacation in Florida, Sara decides to ask a stranger - hot firefighter Luis - to be her pretend boyfriend for a week. But things aren't as easy as they seem, and they find themselves falling for each other.⁠
⁠
I was very excited to read Island Affair because it sounds like the perfect Summer romance: there's the fake relationship trope, some (healthy-for-plot) family tension and, of course, a lovely vacation setting.⁠
⁠
I really liked how two completely different families were portrayed, I learned more about Key West and the Conch culture, and even though this was a light read, there was still space to explore topics such as grief, mental health and eating disorders, which I really appreciated. ⁠
⁠
As a whole, I liked Sara and Luis as a couple - both had their own issues and insecurities, and they helped each other get through them. I cared enough about their relationship to keep reading and see where it was going.⁠
⁠
However, I did feel like there was something... missing. It's hard for me to pinpoint what it was - at times I felt like it was just a little too slow-paced for me and I got bored, then I thought maybe I just didn't connect to the characters -, but whatever it was, it got in the way of me truly enjoying this book. It was still entertaining and fun, but not a solid, memorable read.⁠ That being said, I think this is still a lovely beach romance, so if you're into this genre, I'd say give it a chance.
Wowza, here's a steamy summer romance to kick off your summer reading list!

When Sarah's boyfriend ditches out on a family vacation, she asks Luis to play the 'pretend' fiance.  Well, you know how that goes, right?

Loved this one!
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. All opinions expressed are my own

The cover of this book is beautiful, and it was one of the main reasons why I wanted to read this book. The story is set on Key West, Florida. I've wanted to travel the keys for a long time, and am saving for a trip-of-a-lifetime. This book has the beautiful descriptions of Key West, provided by the author, who actually lived there.

The book starts with Sara landing on the island and finding out her long-distance boyfriend has cancelled on coming to meet her family. Luis, a local firefighter, notices her distress, and they get to talking and he agrees to pretend to be her boyfriend for the week.

I love the location, but I just couldn't imagine why (?!) you would bring a stranger to your family vacation as your boyfriend. I'd much rather than either making up a convincing lie (his mother had a heart-attack) or the truth (he's an ass, and we broke up). Then this friend I meet at the airport could blossom into something more. That's just me.
Happy publication day to Island Affair! And thank you @kensingtonbooks and @NetGalley for the egalley.
⠀⠀
You all know I love a rom-com but you may not know I LOVE Key West. I grew up a few hours north, in Miami, and have always loved this laid-back little island—so much that I even babymooned there about three years ago this month. Instead of the virgin mango piña coladas I drank during that trip, I paired this book with a Key Lime Pie Gose from @westbrookbrewingco here in Charleston.

This book is set on Key West and centers around a super sweet and super hot Cuban-American firefighter who saves the day (week!) by pretending to be an Instagram influencer’s boyfriend while she’s on vacation. Obviously, sparks fly.

I appreciate that Island Affair describes Latinx families in a way that was nuanced and familiar to me instead of being a token detail, though sometimes the Spanglish seemed a little forced, and that the book discussed grief, mental heath, toxic masculinity, and other issues frankly. It was very PG, which is not my preference, but I know many readers prefer that to more explicit romance. Overall, my only complaint is that I have NEVER IN MY LIFE heard a Cuban sandwich called a “Cuban Mix”—I actually Googled it 😂
Island Affair
This was a really fun, sweet book, and I'm really in the mood for lighter rom-coms right now. The characters were unique and their personal and family backgrounds were different from what I've seen in other stories. I loved the setting in the Florida keys and exploring some of the culture Luis helped expose to Sara.

Thank you to @kensigntonbooks for my copy!
I love a good island romance. I also like the fake dating trope. Honestly, I enjoyed this book. I wish it had more romance in it though. I didn’t feel like I got enough of Luis and Sara. There also wasn’t enough drama in it for me. I like a whirlwind of drama and love. However, I did like the storyline and the characters. I’m rating this book a 3.5/5.
Key West is one of my all time wang to visit destinations. I absolutely loved the setting around this book. I enjoyed how it mixed the summer romance with fake relationship. It took me a while to get into the book due to the rushed "arrangement." Unfortunately I got kidnapper bad ju-ju vibes when Luis and Sara met. I mean couldn't they have agreed to the fake relationship at least after some ice cream on the beach to calm Sara's nerves? It was very rushed and felt unrealistic.

I started to really get into the book once I was able to get to know the characters and the fake relationship started to mix boundaries. Luis was so extremely hard headed for being so willing to help Sara push down her internal walls. I was so happy when Luis was finally able to come to terms with his own baggage. Overall the story was a super sweet and lovely summer romance.
As someone who spent most of her life in Miami and has been to Key West numerous times, I was so happy to see this coastal town as the setting for this novel. It was the perfect quarantine read to whisk you away to somewhere sunny and tropical. I liked both main characters and understood their struggles, how they over came them and I was cheering for them to come together from the novel's start. I appreciate how the author handled the the seriousness of the characters' issues, and in the end it made their bond stronger. This is my first time reading a book by Priscilla Oliveras and I look forward to the next book in this series.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC. The opinions expressed in this review are honest and my own
I really enjoy island romance stories, though there really aren't that many out there that I've discovered. Island Affair sounded promising, so I thought I'd give the author a try since I'd never read anything by her.

Luis and Sara were very likable characters and I was easily drawn into the story. They both had their own bit of problems in the past but seemed perfect for one another. The beginning seemed a bit fast at times but did seem to slow down as the story progressed, which I was thankful for. But it just seemed that something was missing and I can't quite put my finger on what it was. I don't want to say that parts of the story were flat, because it did hold my interest and I felt a connection to it, but there were certain parts that could've had a little more pumped into the story line.

The author did convince me that Key West is a beautiful place and I'd love to be able to visit one day. I could really feel her passion towards Key West and maybe that was what was missing in the story--the passion for the story itself. I'd also like to point out that the cover is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't connect me with the story at all.

A solid four and a half stars!
TAKE ME BACK TO KEY WEST!!
⁣
That’s exactly what #IslandAffair did! This is the perfect novel to read while on the beach, poolside, or just catching some ☀️ in your backyard! I absolutely loved this very cute, light romance between Sara and Luis. I really liked the way the author sprinkled in the details among the narrative rather than wait for a giant moment to unload. I really enjoyed this and I would absolutely read more from this author!
I was THRILLED to receive this to read, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for the ecopy of this book. I will be posting a full review on Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram! Many thanks.
This book was provided as an advanced copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I loved the dynamic between Sara and Luis. Even though they met by chance, the electricity between them was so evident from their first meeting. I also loved the family dynamics that the author delved into. Luis’ family being all nosy and in each other’s business, I loved how Luis’ mom was getting updates from people all over the island that he had been seen with a girl. His mom has eyes everywhere! Then Sara’s family, fractured but trying to come back together.  This book had a lot of layers, and I enjoyed that. From Sara’s eating disorder, thinking she was the black sheep of the family since she didn’t go into medicine, to Luis’ savior complex always trying to save but also needing to save his relationship with his little brother. I liked the ending, and I could totally see this as a movie.
REVIEW | Island Affair
What I loved: I’m always into the fake dating and forced proximity trope! I also really enjoyed the tropical Florida keys setting. It was beautifully described. Can we also talk about the lovely cover for this one? So swoony.

What I didn’t love: There was something about the voice in this book I didn’t quite connect with. I also didn’t love the insta love, particularly for a fake dating trope which I always find is a bit better suited to a slower burn.

Either way, this was a cute read but it didn’t stick out as a forever favourite. Massive thank you to Kensington and Netgalley for this ARC 💗
This book made me feel like I was really in the Keys. The descriptions made me feel like I was there with Luis and Sara.

This book is the perfect rom-com type beach read that I so love from time to time. Although some things were of course a little far fetched because it’s a rom-com the characters were so well developed and lovable. The story line was interesting and although predictable it was also just a perfect beach read. I would definitely recommend it to be on your summer must read list!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of the book- all thoughts are completely my own.