Cover Image: The Golden Girl

The Golden Girl

'The Golden Girl' is the second book to feature Jesse Tucker, who is an investigative journalist.  The first book in the series is called 'The Silent Victim' and it was released on 20th November 2019.  I read, reviewed and loved 'The Silent Victim' and I couldn't wait to read the second book in the series.  Well, ladies and gents the wait is over because the second book called 'The Golden Girl' was released on 8th June 2020.  It's another cracking read from Dana Perry.  I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of the story but more about that in a bit.
I took to Jesse Tucker from the start and by the time I got to the end of the first dozen or so pages I felt as though I had reunited with an old friend.  Jesse is an investigative journalist. Jesse has now been attacked twice and left for dead.  When she comes across the case of Maura Walsh, she feels as though she has to investigate.  In a way she has a certain connection with Maura, in the sense that both were attacked and left for dead.  Fortunately ,Jesse survived but sadly Maura did not.  Jesse scratches the surface of the case and let's just say that she uncovers a lot more than she could have ever anticipated.  Her investigation has more layers to it than you would find layers of paper on a parcel during a game of 'Pass The Parcel'.  Uncover one layer and half a dozen more emerge.  Jesse is feisty, sassy, determined, driven, tenacious, stubborn but she can also be very kind and compassionate.
It's no word of a lie when I say that I was hooked on this book from the moment I read the synopsis.  I was intrigued by the death of Maura and I had my own suspicions as to what was going to happen, so of course I had to keep reading to see if I was right or if I had the wrong end of the stick entirely.  The pages turned increasingly quickly as my desperation to find out what happened grew and grew.  At one point, the pages were turning that quickly that it was almost as if they were turning themselves and then all too quickly I got to the end of the book.  I had to then say a temporary goodbye to Jesse Tucker.
'The Golden Girl' is superbly written, but then I thought the same to be true of 'The Silent Victim'.  Dana grabs your attention from the start with the brutal murder of a serving police officer and then once he has your attention he won't let you have it back until the moment you read the very last word on the very last page.  For me, 'The Golden Girl' was perfectly paced.  The story hit the ground running and maintained the fast pace throughout.  Whilst reading 'The Golden Girl' I really did feel as though I was on one hell of an unpredictable and scary rollercoaster ride.  I really did feel as though I was part of the story, which is down to Dana's very vivid and realistic storytelling.  I felt as though I was Jesse's assistant in a way.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Golden Girl' and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.  I will be reading more of Dana's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
The Golden Girl by Dana Perry is the second book in the Jessie Tucker Mystery series. It can be read as a stand-alone book with no problems. Jessica refers to the devastating attack she had experienced in Central Park, but it does not affect this story. In the beginning, Maura Walsh, an NYPD police officer, goes to several businesses and collects rolls of money. Minutes later while her partner, Billy Renfro, goes to pick up a pizza for their evening meal, Maura is killed.
Jessica Tucker is the Tribune reporter for crime and police news. She starts her interviews and investigation into the death of Maura Walsh. This particular police shooting will make headlines for a while because Maura's father is the Deputy Police Commissioner. Was the shooting a result of Maura taking money from the businesses she patrolled or was it a random killing?
As Jessica learns more about Maura and her family, she has additional questions about the family dynamics and the death of Maura's younger brother years before. The more people she questions, the more she realizes that many of her contacts are lying.
The story is written well and Jessica is a likable main character. I won't post spoilers, but I did feel as if the answer to who shot Maura was tied up too neatly. We spent the whole book chasing down suspects and uncovering secrets and lies which seemed to circle all around the main question.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
BOOK REVIEW ⭐️
Thank you to @netgalley & @bookouture for my eARC of The Golden Girl.
This is a crime thriller style novel. Our MC Jessie is a young journalist. I really liked her she was funny and quirky and definitely helped with the momentum of the read. It was a good twisty tale but had some obvious moments. The book took me a little while to get into but once I did I enjoyed it. Really nice easy to read writing with nice characters and pretty good plot! Great summer thriller 👍🏼👍🏼
Jessie Tucker is like a dog with a bone when it comes to investigating a story; she’s persistent and doesn’t leave a stone unturned.  That’s why when Maura Walsh, an NYPD officer, is found dead in an alley, she suspects there is more to it than a random shooting.  She is unwilling to tow the line to avoid asking questions of people that she would otherwise be expected to provide defence to. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
As Jessie continues investigating, it quickly becomes apparent that at least one person is hiding information that would be pertinent to solving who killed Maura, including members of the NYPD and her precinct.  None of it makes any sense, unless, of course, an officer was involved.  The web of deception and corruption that Jessie gets tangled in, is as vast as it is dangerous. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This book gave you a peak into the world of journalism: the difficulties, the bureaucracy and sometimes, the danger.  Jessie cared more about the truth and what was right, than the possibility of upsetting the apple cart.  And as you all know, we need more of that in our world. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
If you’re into the idea of a journalist who operates as though she is a detective, this book will provide you with fast, fun read. The best part is that it can be read alone, or as part of the larger series.  A reason to buy more books is always a win for me!⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
#thegoldengirl #danaperry #netgalley #bookouture #thriller #mystery #torontoreaders #sloane_reads #🇨🇦bookenablers #bookstagram #bookreview #goodreads #bookstagramreviews #bookclub #bibliophile #bookrecs #canadareads #quarantinereads #booksofinstagram  #newrelease #newbook⁣
The Golden Girl is the second book in the Jessie Tucker Mystery series and I have to say I was completely and thoroughly hooked right from the start.

Investigative reporter Jessie Tucker is currently working at The New York Tribune. One night, a young NYPD officer, Maura Walsh, daughter of Deputy Commissioner Mike Walsh, is murdered during her shift with her own gun and left to die in an alleyway. Police officer Walsh and her work partner patrolman Billy Renfro had taken a break to pick up a pizza from a restaurant nearby, when the shooting occurred. Jessie becomes involved in the case but with no witnesses coming forward, Jessie knows that ascertaining exactly what happened won't be easy. Jessie starts digging into Maura’s life and discovers that although Maura appeared to have had an exemplary career record, there are hints and suggestions of corruption, as well as family secrets in Maura's past, that leave her pondering what Maura was actually immersed in.

Written from the point of view of Jessie, I fell right into this well-crafted and absorbing tale, and I felt as though I was shadowing her as she worked at chasing her story and following her leads and instincts. As Jessie realises that many powerful people are involved in the case, I felt a palpable sense of danger for her given that some would seemingly kill to keep things a secret. I adored the story-line which was easy to follow and Dana Perry's writing-style was impressive and note-worthy. The end result was equally brilliant and surprising.

I loved the author's portrayal of Jessie, and I was extremely taken with this character's toughness, drive, tenacity and dry sense of humour, as well as looking forward to reading about her in future instalments of the series. With its polished pacing and plotting I found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable and difficult to put down crime thriller from Dana Perry. He is certainly a gifted storyteller who can provide readers with thrills, sophistication and a story packed with substance. A very highly recommended five star read, that was equally as good the series début, The Silent Victim.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley and this review is my unbiased opinion.
Wow Wow Wow! This book is absolutely amazing and I can’t praise it highly enough! Only the second book in the Jessie Tucker series, it is a brilliant addition to what I hope will be many more books to come from it. In my honest opinion, there are not enough stars out there to rate this one and it will definitely be part of my best books for 2020!

The Golden Girl, which is set a few months after the events in The Silent Victim, kicks off when police officer Maura Walsh is shot and killed in an alley among the mean streets of New York. Not just any police officer, Maura is the daughter of the NYPD police commissioner Mike Walsh so you can imagine what hits the fan! When the police at first have no suspects, news reporter Jessie Tucker becomes embroiled in the case. What she uncovers is more than she bargained for, and opens up one big giant can of worms! But in true Jessie form, she doesn’t back down, even at the risk to her own life.

The New York setting is the perfect backdrop to the series. It is not like Friends catching up at central perk for coffee all sunshine and roses, it is more Law & Order SVU, which depicts the darker, seedier and gritty side to it, but this one showcases a precinct with dirty cops involved in corruption and ties to the underworld. I really find these types of stories fascinating as to the reasons why some police officers choose to go down that path.

It was great to catch up with Jessie again to see how she fared after the events from The Silent Victim. She is one resilient woman, but we do see her vulnerable side rise to the surface again, even more so this time around. She sees herself in Maura and it nearly becomes an obsession for her in getting justice, as she pushes the boundaries to do just that. There is also a subplot that is very personal to Jessie and I look forward to it being explored more in future books.

With each new character that was brought into the story, it also brought a new suspect into the mix. You are kept second guessing everyone and in true Dana Perry form, nothing it what it seems. There is definitely no room to be complacent when reading this book and as he did in The Silent Victim, Dana hoodwinks you again! He is totally the master at doing this and I love it!

Dana held me captive right from the prologue till the end. There was no way I could tear myself away even if I wanted too! I couldn’t get enough and devoured it in one sitting! What makes this series stand out for me is Dana’s experience of working in the New York media, so he brings an authentic account and realism to the story. His writing is very engaging and he sure knows how to throw in twists and turns and shocking revelations, which he does in The Golden Girl in spectacular fashion!

The Golden Girl is everything I could have hoped for and more. It can be read as a stand-alone and does rehash the events from The Silent Victim, but you would be missing out on another brilliant story by not it reading it first. This really is an exciting series and I will be waiting so impatiently for book three! Can you hear me tapping my fingers on my desk Dana…
It was an absolute pleasure to read and review The Golden Girl which I can’t recommend highly enough. Congratulations on another winner Dana!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Dana Perry for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Golden Girl which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
A reporter who has defied the odds twice by being the victim of a horrible attack and lived to tell the tale. A family that bleeds NYPD blue. A decorated officer Maura Walsh is found dead in an alley just after she seemingly picks up bribe money from a local mob bosses business. Jessie Tucker earnest reporter looks into the death of Maura Walsh , she see’s a lead no one else sees. As she investigates the events leading up to her death it becomes increasingly clear that the official story has links to the Deputy Commissioner ‘s family in great detail. Jessie as a side note finds holes in her on family history and this gives a linking storyline. Daughters trying to find a place in their fathers lives only to see the fathered come up short, at least in Mauras case. As the truth is revealed in the light of day few are up to the task of protecting and serving unscathed. A truth we learn on almost the very last page. Happy reading
This is a really good read. I like Jessie as a character. The story is well written and has interesting characters. The plot was really good with plenty of characters and a lot of twists.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Dana Perry is one brilliant author who rocked my Sunday afternoon, stealing my hours of siesta with this thriller which kept me at the edge of my bed with choking anticipation. I had to know who killed cop Maura Walsh… Nothing mattered to me more than that, I was so focused.

Police reporter Jessie Tucker was back with the second book which was a complete standalone investigating the murder of the cop.

The author made my investigative juices flow when the suspense wasslowly build up. Every chapter revealed something mysterious about the victim. All was not as it appeared. It was a thrillathon of sorts where I could feel the impending twists as I read down the pages. My pulse smoothly rocketed up..

The book gave me a complete high as the pages turned. JESSIE was an amazing reporter with a past. She was bold and brassy, quite diplomatic in some places. But her determination shone in the entire book. Complete credit to the author for etching her character so lovingly yet with a dedicated, detailed hand.

What else could I say which would reveal all that I felt? It was one roller coaster ride, which thrilled me with the secrets hidden in the life of cop Maura Walsh. The suspense was kept at a peak right up to the final reveal. I loved it.
Maura was perfect. A perfect liar.
One humid summer evening, Officer Maura Walsh is led to her table at a local restaurant – it’s a trendy place with cocktails on the menu, full of office workers leaning across the bar to flirt. She’s prettier than most of the women here, but everybody gives her a wide berth. She doesn’t eat or drink anything. She doesn’t meet anyone’s eye.
An hour later, Maura is dead. Her silky red hair swirls in the dirty puddles beneath her body. The dank walls of a forgotten alley are the last thing she ever saw. It took a long time for Maura to die, alone in the dark.
Somebody made sure she would have plenty of time to think about what she’d done.

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuousluy.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Well that was one hell of a ride. This book was chalk full for twists and turns. You will think you've got the whole thing figured out just to turn the page and find out you had no damn clue.

I had a hard time putting this book down once it picked up. The start was a bit slow but I promise your heart will race and so will your eyes, wanting to find out what is really going on.

The MC is quite relateable, she's smart and has a good sense of humor. She has a tragic backstory  t of her own but that only pushes her to get to the bottom of what's going on.

When I picked up this book, I was unaware that it is the secon book in a series, but you can definitely read this as a standalone. I do however want to find out what happened in the first book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing me with a copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
First, I want to thank Dana Perry, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

DAM!!! Dana Perry is a genius for writing this must read book!! This book was incredibly twisted and got more intense as you read on! I absolutely loved it and was hooked instantly! I couldn’t put the book down til I found out what happened to Maura!

I must say this is one of the most unique covers I have seen from a Bookouture author. Far away it looked like butterfly wings and in the middle was the title of the book. I give the graphic artists kudos as this grabbed my attention immediately before reading what the book was about.

The Golden Girl was one of the most intriguing books that I have read in a long time. It was incredibly fast paced, the side stories were just as fascinating as the main storyline, there was a ton of heartbreak, very suspenseful, colorful cast of characters, and most of all a very creative storyline.

I loved how Dana made Jessie a reporter investigating the death of Maura Walsh. I am a huge fan of crime tv shows and true crime books so reading this book was right up my alley.

One of my favorite side storylines was when Jessie was looking for her father. That had a unique twist of events.

There are books that I have read that you can kind of predict how it will end. However my jaw fell to the floor at this ending. I never saw it coming!! The twists and turns in this book were shocking!! This is why I think Dana Perry is an incredible writer!

The Golden Girl would be the perfect book to movie on Netflix as a series! I would definitely watch it and I bet it would be a huge hit!
Jessie is fascinated by the murder of patrol officer Maura Walsh who was shot with her own weapon and left to die on a side street. Light investigation lets Jessie know that Maura was not the golden girl she’s being told about and was, in fact, accepting bribes. Deeper investigation uncovers many more secrets.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Golden Girl which has an interesting plot and several good twists. It is told entirely from Jessie’s point of view in the first person, apart from some initial scene setting, so the reader can dive in and follow her investigation as it happens without distraction. I like this approach as I find it more immersive and makes the novel less easy to put down. There is rarely a dull moment with reveals in every chapter, some which offer a resolution and others which pose more questions. It is, however, a fairly light read with Jessie encountering very few setbacks and being able to get answers with a little questioning. I guess it’s entertainment rather than a realism and it’s good at it.

Thanks to Netgalley for my advanced copy
Many Thanks to Net Galley, Bookouture and Dana Perry for the chance to read and review this book.

Dana Perry’s The Golden Girl is book #2 in Jessie Tucker Mystery. Jessie Tucker is an investigative journalist for New York Tribune and it has been quite a while that I have read any books with journalists as protagonists.

New York is stifling under the heat wave and Officer Maura Walsh is found shot dead in an alley. With no particular motive in sight and the police investigation stalling, Jessie Tucker decides to do an enquiry into the crime for her human interest story. The initial discovery of Maura’s activities of the night itself leads to 101 questions as corruption, ex-lover, mob fury, revenge, infidelity, past death, family secrets all tumble out. Jessie then begins the painful task of weeding out the actual motive behind Maura’s killing especially when the police force themselves believe that the death is random killing during the summer heat wave in New York. As the investigation progresses, Jessica begins to identify herself with Maura’s life and loss and thereby becomes determined to get to the truth, but at what personal cost?

The untangling of all the different threads that formed the crime net was one brilliant ride but that was not what attracted me most in the story. Jessica’s story of being a victim of a crime 12 years ago and the nightmares that still haunt her was touching and the search for her missing father, another thread in the story that pulls at your heart strings. A particular scene in the story where Jessica feels so utterly lost and lonely that she wishes for someone to hug her was really heart felt.  And it is this emotional feel in the story that adds to the twisted and convoluted plot.

The supporting characters in the story was another nice touch and do note that the author have provided titbits about some of the greatest movies of crime reporters that one longs to re-watch those classics.
Outstanding!
I volunteered to read this book in exchange for an honest review through Netgalley.  This book is well written and the characters are described well. This is the first book by Dana Perry that I have read, and I highly recommend her writing style. This book kept me sucked in trying to figure out what happened next. You guys need to get this book as soon as it comes out in bookstores or preorder it. I haven't read book 1 in this series but I really enjoyed this book. I give this book 5/ 5 stars.
This is the second book in the Jessie Tucker series and I really enjoyed it.
Jessie is a reporter for the New York Tribune and wants to investigate the shooting of a NYPD officer, Maura Walsh, as she thinks something is not right with the explanation given so far.
Jessie is like a dog with a bone and keeps going until she finds out the truth. However, she does step on a few toes whilst doing so.
Just as she thinks she’s getting somewhere new information comes to light and Jessie is not ready for what she finds out about Maura’s past.
Keen to unpick all the information she has Jessie is determined to get to the truth.
I like Jessie’s character as it’s something different to a straight forward Police investigation and she has more freedom to ask awkward questions and get to the truth.
I look forward to reading more books in this series.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read this Arc.
This is not the first book by Dana Perry I've read and it definitely won't be my last.
It took a little while for the story to take off but once it did I was already hooked! I would highly recommend it.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this review copy. Second in what I assume is a series, The Golden Girl is an average crime novel with a plot that would probably translate well to film/tv. As a novel, It told the reader too much, with  huge chunks of exposition thrown at the reader. I had not read her previous novel but having read this one I do not feel the need to go back as it repeatedly refers to the events of that story constantly. I would hope that in her next novel, Perry reins this in as it was unnecessary.
The Golden Girl is the second instalment in the Investigative Journalist Jessie Tucker series and is an entertaining, easy and fast-paced read. Whilst working at The New York Tribune Jessie becomes involved in a case where a young NYPD officer, Maura Walsh, daughter of Deputy Commissioner Mike Walsh, was murdered during her shift with her own weapon and left to die in an alley but with no witnesses coming forward it's going be difficult to ascertain exactly what happened. Jessie decides to start digging into Maura’s past and discovers something that smells a bit fishy. It appears she was a dirty cop involved in corruption and accepting bribes for various things. But unfortunately, that is merely the tip of the iceberg. Jessie realises this relates to many powerful people and you feel a real sense of danger for her given that people seemingly would kill to keep all of it a secret. This runs far deeper than anyone could've foreseen. The police label it a random crime and try to sweep it under the carpet. How deep does this conspiracy run?

This is a completely addictive read from the start and between the covers I was absorbed and enthralled. It's fascinating as Jessie reveals exactly who is involved from the mafia to powerful city police officers; the institutional corruption was shocking and I have no doubt that this sort of thing happens in real life too. Jessie is an intriguing character and protagonist who is courageous, likeable and dogged in her pursuit of justice. As the plot progresses we are treated to a tale full of danger and cover-ups and Jessie realises she is putting herself in harms way by continuing to seek the truth through investigation. You find yourself getting behind Jessie and becoming invested in the storyline and her fight to expose those who are corrupt. This is an exhilarating and thrilling read with enough going on to keep you on your toes. There is never a dull moment throughout and reveals happen in every chapter making it difficult to put down. Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.
This is the first book I've read by Perry. I had a hard time getting into this book, as the pace was just too slow for me. That did improve a bit as the story unfolded. I liked Jessie, as well as the mystery regarding Maura's death. However, I did guess some key parts, so the reveal wasn't as much of a "pop" as I prefer in books of this genre. While the characters and writing were solid, parts (like the middle) really dragged on a bit too much. I'm not sure I'll check out the next book in the series. I did enjoy the ending, overall.