Cover Image: The Golden Girl

The Golden Girl

This started off a bit slow for me . The bonus was it had a lot of suspense and twists and turns. I haven't read the first book but I would suggest you do to get a background of Jessie. The ending was superb and hadn't guessed it at all. It had a great cast of characters.
I enjoyed Jessie’s Tucker’s first outing, The Silent Victim, so I was very much looking forward to her next “story.” I still like the fact that Jessie is a reporter. It adds a different angle to the crime investigation she undertakes, which makes it more interesting at times. I’m not sure how I feel about her search for answers to her past amid everything else, so I will reserve judgment on that until the next book to see how it all pans out. I also thought that while the author did a great job of weaving the plot threads together into a captivating story, the resolution was way too rushed. Also, and this is just a totally personal thing for me, I thought the author could have done a better job with the NYPD aspect of the story. BUT, and I can’t stress this enough, anyone without ties to NYPD will probably have no problem. It was a decent story, Jessie is as intrepid as ever, and I do look forward to her next investigation. Please visit Fireflies and Free Kicks after publication day for more thoughts. Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of the book.
I didn't get into this one as much as the last. In fact I struggled to stick with it. It's a good story but the pacing is really slow. I love the character of Jessie. She is professionally dogged in her pursuit of the truth. I also like the way she is on a personal level, the character is intriguing. The mystery surrounding Maura's death is complex and I was surprised by the reveal. It felt a bit anticlimactic after all the buildup. Overall it's a good read and I will definitely read the next book in the series.
This is a tangled and tragic story about the death of a Maura Walsh, a young police woman in the NYPD. On night on her shift she ended up dead in a dirty street in Little Italy. Her partner was getting pizza and failed to look for her as soon as he noticed her not waiting in their car. Maura was shot and left do die. If her partner would have gone looking for her earlier she would have a change to survive. What happened that night really?

Jessie Tucker is a reporter at the New York Tribune. She is kind of famous because she herself survived an attack many years ago and only found out what happened to her just recently. So something about Maura’s death triggers her. Maura was just left to die like she was herself. Jessie was found in time and survived but Maura did not have that kind of luck. Jessie is drawn to her story. She takes it in her own hands to investigate what happened.

The story is developing slowly. We follow Jessie around interviewing people and getting a bigger picture. It is similar to a police procedure drama. It is a tragic story on so many levels. The tension is moderate but the book kept my interest and I wanted to know what happened.

This book is the second one in a series. I do not know the first one and this one can easily be read as a stand-alone. It looks like it is a background story to Jessie and it would be nice to have more information about her and what happened to her. But the story about Maura works just fine on its own.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the Arc of this book for an honest review and thank you to the Author Dana Perry❤️

NYPD officer Maura Walsh, daughter of Mike Walsh why is she shot dead.. while her partner is picking up a pizza 🍕?...  Was it a targeted attack, random attack or an oppurtunist one?... That what they need to find out... But the police cant find any leads whatsoever so they write this off as a randomised crime..

Until investigator reporter Jessie Tucker starts to look into it and investigate it.. where she finds out and uncovers a lot of corruption, lies and even cover ups!!  She finds out Maura was being involved in with mobs! And having her own family secrets..

This is such a thrilling, rollercoaster of emotions book where every page you wanted more and such a page turner it may start of slow but once you get into it it's a page turner with lots of suspense and twists and turns , it kept me hooked with the investigation part of it finding new clues and uncovered new things I love it so thank you Dana Perry for this!!❤️❤️❤️❤️

Will review on Amazon/book websites once published ❤️

Definitely recommend
5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐!!
I found this to be a real attention grabber. It started out with a pace that never let up. A gritty investigation of a murder of a seemingly innocent woman.

It was a nice change to read a series which was different to the normal police procedural that we often get with a series.

I didn’t read book one and feel the storyline isn’t affected by having not read it, although at some point I will read it, as I love Dana Perry’s style of writing.

From the first chapter you’re pulled into a web of lies. You read little snippets from several character’s that all collates into a complete jigsaw!

A great crime thriller with many twists that just keep coming!
This is the second book in a series. And I went against everything I believe in and didnt read book 1 first. But for the first time I dont think it mattered. If anything it has built my intrigue to read it to find out what happened.

I really enjoyed this book and the fact that it was from a different point of view rather than the police, like many other books like this are. It gave it a whole new aspect, and makes you feel for the reporters that pester the police in these other books.

There are many different point of intrigue in here and it really keeps you guessing. It's such an addictive read and I will certainly look out for more in the series. I really liked Jessie Tucker as a character and cant wait to learn more, and see what happens next!
Thank you so much Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy of the book.
I needed sometime to let my brains stop thinking about I just read.
This a gripping read and will keep you turning the pages of this twisty book.
The author does a great job with her characters and plot line. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
On a hot NY summer night, NYPD Officer Maura Walsh is shot dead in an alley while her partner is picking up a pizza. Was this a random, opportunistic shooting or was Maura targeted? And if so, why?

Journalist Jessie Tucker wants to know the answer to these questions but Maura proves to be a bit of an enigma. Daughter of NYPD Deputy Commissioner Mike Walsh she has had a spotless career to now, but Jessie uncovers hints of corruption and mob involvement as well as possible family secrets in Maura's past that leave Jessie questioning what Maura was really up to.

With a slow build up to raise a lot of questions and get a feel for the characters, this is a suspenseful thriller with quite a few twists in the plot and a thrilling ending. Jessie has been through a horrendous attack in her past that left her near death, which means she doesn't shy from asking the hard questions and standing up to the mob and dirty cops. She's smart with a wry sense of humor and like a good journalist follows leads logically without key facts somehow falling into her lap. This is the second book in the series and it works well as a stand alone, although I do intend to learn more about Jessie's background by reading the first book before continuing with the series
Maura Walsh was born to be a cop, she is the daughter and granddaughter of NYPD officers and her father is the Deputy Commissioner who is revered throughout the force. Maura however, has secrets which she shared with no one and when she is killed it looks as if that won't change.

Journalist Jessie Tucker feels an empathy with Officer Walsh, having been attacked and left for dead twice in the last twelve years. Beginning to investigate her death for a main feature in her newspaper Jessie find compelling evidence of bribes, hush money, and protection rackets involving Maura and her partner. What she doesn't know is whether it has anything to do with her death but she is determined to find out.

This is the second Jessie Tucker book and I hope it won't be the last. I liked Jessie much more this time and although her own past is still important her attention is far more focused on what happened to Maura Walsh which gave her far more interesting and multifaceted personality than first time around. I enjoyed the scenes set at the newspaper, they felt realistic and there was a camaraderie running alongside the rivalry which made for excellent reading.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first book and wants to continue Jessie's adventure. It isn't vital to read them in order as there is enough information to prevent any confusion.
This story started off a little bit slow but events soon took an unexpected turn with plenty twists. Jessie is a crime journalist investigating the death of Maura Walsh, a young police officer and daughter of NYPD  Deputy Police Commissioner. The book is well written with likeable and interesting characters, although the middle section slowed down, I loved the ending. A nice easy read. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
This is a great "dirty cop" story with a very appealing main character, Jessie - an ace reporter at a NYC newspaper who is herself a survivor of a terrible crime from twelve years before.  She is investigating a squeaky-clean police family whose youngest daughter, cop and pride of the family. Maura Walsh, was recently gunned down after apparently being involved in payoffs.  This is particularly scandalous because Maura is the daughter of the so-called "Prince of the City," deputy Police Commissioner Walsh, a local hero famousfor rooting out corruption.

The plot is fast paced, suspenseful and easy to read, just like Jessie's newspaper columns (which are sometimes included).  There is a great cast of characters, including a potential romantic interest who is not too annoying, but may or may not be evil.  And did I mention twists, double twists and triple twists galore?

The only reason I didn't give this five stars is that there was one or two twists too many for me at the end.  Right up till the second to last twist it was pretty much perfect.  I would have preferred the ending if it stopped there.  Despite this, I still really enjoyed the book and have already put one of the other Jessie Tucker books in my Amazon cart.  Jessie is a tough, smart, realistic character who you always want to root for.  She is a better investigator than most of the cops in the book!

Thanks to NetGalley, Dana Perry, and Bookouture for this great advance read in exchange for my honest review.  I really enjoyed it!
Great story! Kept me guessing all the way through. I will be looking for more from this author!  Thanks to Bookoutre and Netgalley for an ARC copy of this gripping tale.
A slow burner to start with but it soon picked up pace.A good police procedural.  The second in this series featuring Jessie Tucker a crime reporter who will do anything to get the story. A classic murder mystery, full of tension and suspense and lots of misdirection which kept me guessing and constantly changing my mind. Four stars and recommended.
Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for the ARC.
This book started a little slow and predictable for me but I’m glad I carried on with it, it turned out to be very good and great ending. Characters were good and well thought out. I’m not a fan of first person narrative but it does seem to work well within this book. Having read the first book and being aware of the narrator back ground I still didn’t think it mattered and can be read as a stand alone.
Oh wow! It seems like I am on a streak. Another amazingly good book I just devoured! Every single one I have read this week was a treasure.

The author fed me words and I gobbled them up gladly.

I did not read the first book in the series, but I will soon make that happen too. This story was soo good that I just have to know what happened there.

In this series the main character is not at police officer, but a reporter, Jessie, writing about crime and investigating them. She is a though cookie and is not easily scared.

While grown men keep schtum because they are afraid of what will happen to them when they do open their mouth, Jessie keeps on delving deeper and deeper until she finds what she is looking for: the truth.

Meanwhile she is also trying to solve a personal matter. Will she get the answers she was hoping for?

A very fascinating story that I thoroughly enjoyed. 5 stars.

This was another slow starter for me, but it didn't take much to get drawn in.  I thought it was a solid police procedural with interesting characters.  I did feel that it dragged a bit in the middle, but the ending was great!
I really enjoyed the story and the authors way of writing . Entertaining and twisted , everything I love In a book !!I would like to read more by this author !!
I feel kind of dumb right now. I had a small list of criticisms for this book that I was about to include in my review, but then I noticed the part of the description that says "can be read as part of the Jessie Tucker series or as a standalone". Excuse me while I go facepalm at myself...

The Golden Girl is a classic murder mystery with lots of twists to keep you guessing right to the end. The narrator and main character, Jessie Tucker, seemed like a cool person, albeit a little messed up (who isn't!?) and an impressive reporter. I was wishing to get to know her as a person on a deeper level the whole story, though, and now I'm wondering if there's more of that in part one of the series. If so, I would maybe disagree that it should be read as a standalone book? It just lacked that character depth that would've made it more 'un-put-down-able'.

I did enjoy the story. I loved the reporter/investigator vibe and the heavy New York influences! I would definitely recommend this book to someone who likes a (light) murder mystery.

Thank you to NetGalley, Dana Perry, and Bookouture for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The cover initially attracted me to this book, but once I started reading I realized this was the second instalment in the crime series with Jessie Tucker, ace crime reporter! I put the book down and bought the debut novel and I was not disappointed! It’s a ‘thing’ of mine to start a book series out of order.
 I finished The Golden Girl in record time, I enjoyed every aspect of this book. The premise of the novel is the murder of Officer Maura Walsh, daughter to Deputy Chief Mike Walsh. Murder, police corruption, mobsters, payoffs....and so much more!
Jessie Tucker evokes so much emotion, the trauma she’s been through, the constant struggle with herself but I also love her integrity. Reporters get a bad rap on occasion, and there was no shortage of shady behaviours in this book, but not by Jessie.
This book was a definite page turner and constant twists and turns. The author adds layer upon layer and this is by far my favourite part, I love to be constantly analyzing and trying to piece together the complexities.
Don’t take my word for it just pick up this book and you won’t be disappointed!