Cover Image: The Golden Girl

The Golden Girl

I loved the first book in this series (they have changed the original title so I don't remember what it is at the minute) and I was thrilled for the chance to read this new edition to the series.
I think Jessie is a very interesting and strong character....at times a bit self serving as I assume big time reporters must need to be to make it in their profession and often because she is a woman. I like the stories of her co-workers as I imagine they are actual or close to real from the author's history in journalism. I smiled when they mentioned the black/white movie "His Girl Friday" because I absolutely love that film and Rosalind Russell is one of my favorite old school dames. She had a brilliant career and has made me laugh so many times with her films. Also, seeing her spar with the dashing and handsome Cary Grant didn't hurt either.
As for the mystery of the story....who murdered Maura?! The young, pretty, smart police woman who was left to die in an alley. We meet a rather large cast of characters between the police departments and the mafia and as expected many of those characters are involved in things together which is never good when these types meet.
Jessie refuses to back down from her constant questioning of this awful murder and the many little bits that tie it all together even after being threatened by some pretty creepy bastards. In the end, she gets her story and then some and maybe a love interest.....I am curious to see what happens in her pursuit of her father....it has great potential. I look forward to the next edition in this fantastic series.
My only complaint....Maura is constantly referred to as a 'Woman Officer' and it doesn't fit. It needs to be 'Female Officer'....this drove me nuts throughout the entire book. There is quite a bit of repetition as well but that's a quick editorial fix before publication.
Usually, a police/detective thriller is not my kind of book...but this story certainly changed that opinion.

Jessie Tucker is a police reporter who works for the Tribune. She has clearly been through a lot in her life, and is still learning to live with it all when the murder of Maura Walsh occurs and captures her attention.

The story is full to the brim of interesting characters, and the way their lives all intertwine as we discover who is actually responsible for the crime is brilliant.

This book was brilliantly written,well paced and had me hooked from the start... I will certainly be reading more of Dana Perry's books in the future!.

Thank you to Dana, Netgalley and bookouture for my ARC of this book.
This is twisty thriller. It has everything a good book needs. Strong characters, surprises, plenty of suspects and drama.
Jessie is following up on another story. She is interested in the death of a police officer, Maura Walsh. Maura was killed in a dark alley, shot with her own service revolver. Her radio is missing along with her weapon. She bled to death. It took at least an hour for her to die. A slow callous death of an exemplary police officer from an upstanding police family.
As Jessie investigates further into the story of Officer Walsh's death, she runs into some shady characters. Some she doesn't know if she can trust them much less what they say.
She better hold on tight because this story is full of serious questions and finding the answers could be detrimental to her.
Interesting, intriguing, titillating!!
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Golden Girl, the second novel to feature reporter Jessie Tucker of The New York Tribune.

Jessie is fascinated by the murder of patrol officer Maura Walsh who was shot with her own weapon and left to die on a side street. Light investigation lets Jessie know that Maura was not the golden girl she’s being told about and was, in fact, accepting bribes. Deeper investigation uncovers many more secrets.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Golden Girl which has an interesting plot and several good twists. It is told entirely from Jessie’s point of view in the first person, apart from some initial scene setting, so the reader can dive in and follow her investigation as it happens without distraction. I like this approach as I find it more immersive and makes the novel less easy to put down. There is rarely a dull moment with reveals in every chapter, some which offer a resolution and others which pose more questions. It is, however, a fairly light read with Jessie encountering very few setbacks and being able to get answers with a little questioning. I guess it’s entertainment rather than a realism and it’s good at it.

I can’t say I was wildly enthusiastic about Jessie’s voice in the novel. She can be rather glib and knowing at times and always completely dedicated to her story. My main complaint is my own fault. I haven’t read the first novel in the series, The Silent Victim, but I know all about the premise, if not the detail, as it and Jessie’s escape from near death are constantly referenced, to the extent that I felt like screaming.

The Golden Girl is a good read.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is the second book in the Jessie Tucker series.   It is another cracking read and I really enjoyed it.   I love reading of Jessie, seeing her character develop and thought this was a very well thought out plot by the author and had so many twists in it, I’d maybe guessed one or two, and just when I had got my head around who the murderer *possibly* was there was yet another twist that made me think again.   I guessed who the villain was from reading the last few pages of the book and was right.   Jessie is a very likeable and believable character who is growing on me.  I love her tenacity and that she follows her gut instinct.   I also liked the author’s writing style which conveyed Jessie’s thoughts, fears and emotions. really well.   There were lots of twists in the last few pages which tied all loose ends up.   Overall, an enjoyable, fast paced and thrilling read which I would recommend.   4 stars
You might see this one and think "oh boy, another cop drama" and you'd be right, but you should say it with more enthusiasm because this is an EXCELLENT book.  I was hooked from page one.  A must red for thriller and crime fans.
Thankyou Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy of the book in exchange for a honest review.

This totally twisty and absolutely gripping read will keep you turning the pages late into the night.

I need sometime to get my brain out of this story

Whole review to come soon
The Golden Girl by Dana Perry was an interesting read, in which, I did not predict the ending. I do believe it would be helpful to read earlier books in the series about Jessie Tucker (as I often was curious what happened to her in Central Park - I might pick those earlier books up now).

In true crime mystery style, you never know who to trust or where the storyline will lead. It was worth the read.

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
What happened to 'honor among thieves?'
Beauty can't stop a bullet as they say but neither can it stop corruption by its finest.
Oh, Officer Maura. Can you imagine one minute you're enjoying yourself the next you're in an alley dead!
YIKES! Summertime Blues straight ahead! Be careful! Be Prepared! Play it smart!
Clearly someone had an ax to grind or at least a gripe but who and why?
Did she uncover something she shouldn't? Was she about to expose some critical information?
Surely, her past was not perfect especially her relationship with her father whose a NYPD Commissioner but could he have something to do with the reason she perished?
Thugs, killer mob bosses, corruption, bribes, exposing wrongs of abuse, and horrendous accounts of inaction at the top - it's all in here along with panic, paranoia,& mental madness.
Needless to say this is the perfect book for thriller fans everywhere.
Could we end up with a serial killer?
My word, it seems those who know the truths are not talking but the truth will come out but what if the truth has multiple twists and turns? How will we know who is being honest and forthright?
If only we had a superhero involved -which we did- until we lost him so shall we just turn to plain ol detectives? After all things aren't adding up here?!
It appears many were drunk, many were blamed, but the real killer is still actively engaged and perhaps someone got away with more than just a possible affair...Murder needs motive and it seems plenty of motive exist.
Thank you to Dana, the pub, NetGalley, and Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
This one started off really good but I did find it a bit slow in places in the middle. The conclusion did help make up for it and I ended up really liking it. The author does well with character development and plot line. I look forward to more books by this author.
Why is NYPD cop Maura Walsh, daughter of Deputy Commissioner Mike Walsh, shot dead? Jessie Tucker a crime journalist with The Tribune is determined to find out. It starts out looking like a case of corruption but further inquiry reveals that it is so much more. Jessie is onto something  much bigger and the ripples of the investigation spread far and wide, taking her in unexpected and dangerous directions.

I think the story starts a bit slowly and initially seems a bit predictable and there are some elements that are maybe not that surprising. However, there are so many twists and the investigation does take unexpected turns that it makes this an enjoyable read. The biggest plus is the character of Jessie who I like very much and I would definitely want to see where her investigations take her in the future. The ending is good and very personal to Jessie and I really want to find out what decisions she makes there! She is very likeable, dogged, brave and honourable. The investigation leaves a trail of destruction and at times it feels like an episode of TV police drama such as Blue Bloods ( there’s even a Janko in this who is NOTHING like Eddie!) or more accurately Shades of Blue. That’s not a bad thing or a criticism, in fact it conveys how lively the writing is and how easy it is to picture the unfolding drama.

Overall, an entertaining, easy read which I recommend to fans of the thriller genre.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC.
I am confused. Is this a second book or something in a series? It’s not mentioned anywhere as far as I can see but it reads like a sequel which made me feel lost somewhere. There is this big event in Jessies life that is often mentioned but it’s never fully explained what really happened or what happened to her attacker, why he did whatever he did and so on. After reading the synopsis I was also expecting something more of a thrilling ride here, even more of the victim herself – Maura – before she dies, but there is more about her in the description of the book than it is in the book itself. Most of the time the whole story is kind of unemotional and businesslike. Nothing to fear and nothing to be curios about. It just dragged on without real suspense or anything.

So this book wasn’t for me. It is not badly written and others might still enjoy the story for all the things I didn’t like about it. I just couldn't connect with Jessie (because the book felt like a sequel) and got bored somewhere in the middle.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Maura Walsh, an NYC police officer, is killed on duty shortly after accepting payoffs from several businesses. The police have no leads and are writing it off as a random crime. Jessie Tucker is an investigative reporter who sees some inconsistencies and starts to investigate. She uncovers a whole lot of lying and cover ups.

This is totally my kind of book. I loved the first in this series and I loved this one as well. It was a solid investigation that held my interest because there was new info constantly being turned up, so I never got bored. I did not sniff out how this one would end and I was satisfied with the ending. Jessie is an interesting character with enough back story to keep me engaged. I look forward to additional installments of this series.
The Golden Girl by Dana Perry is part of a series focused on crime journalist Jessie Tucker, although it can be easily enjoyed as a standalone novel.  There is lots to unpack around this tenacious and complicated young protagonist, and I look forward to following Jessie as she fights to further call out corruption and wrongdoing on her New York beat.

A young police officer, Maura Walsh, is found dead in an alley, a mere hour after leaving a local restaurant.  Crime journalist Jessie Tucker is drawn to the case, having previously survived her own attack in the city.  I found myself becoming very quickly invested in the wellbeing of Jessie who, despite her own struggles with loneliness and post-traumatic stress, pursues Maura's attacker with a tenacity that goes above and beyond the call.  She is not without her flaws, but this only serves to make her more appealing as a protagonist to root for.  I look forward to reading more of this series.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC.
Second book in the Jessie Tucker series where she is investigating the death of a woman cop, the golden girl of the force and is also tracing her father. The characters are many which would have the reader guessing all through the book. The author continues the fast pace and step by step unravelling of the plot with the suspense revealing in the last chapter. I felt the pace slowing a bit two thirds through. The previous book is my favourite but I would still recommend this one.
In some ways, this is your typical police thriller. Jessie Tucker is a crime reporter in New York, who gets involved in a case she's reporting on. She was actually the victim of a vicious attack in Central Park 12 years prior. She also broke the story of what really happened during her attack as well as the truth about several women's murders in the first book in this series, The Silent Victim. I actually didn't know this was a sequel when I started reading it, and I feel like I didn't miss that much vital information. I will be going back to read it, though, because I hate reading series books out of order!

Okay so in this book a policewoman, Maura Walsh, was murdered during her shift with no witnesses. Turns out she could have been a dirty cop, despite the fact that she was the daughter of the Deputy NYPD Commissioner. Reporter Jessie Tucker starts investigating her death and gets pulled into the investigation while looking into another death in the Walsh family, and the deaths of Walsh's partner and a private investigator. Plus, the mob is involved. I won't give too much away, but it was a very satisfying police thriller for me to read, with lots of twists and turns. I saw a couple of twists coming, mainly because I read this genre a lot, but some were very surprising. I identified with the protagonist a lot and would love to read even more books about her.

Thank you Net Galley and Bookouture for this ARC! I'll definitely be on the lookout for more books by Dana Perry.
The Golden Girl, is the first book I have read by Dana Perry, and wow I’m so glad I did. This book was full of surprises and lots of twists, just when I thought I had it figured out it took another turn. It had me guessing till the end. I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next one from this author. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
I just love Jessica Tucker!  I love this series so far!  Jessie is one bad*** chick!  I hope the Author continues this Series!
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
The Golden Girl is a very intriguing suspense about the murder of a cop which goes under investigation with our main character, Jessie Tucker.

Jessie Tucker is a likeable main character. She is flawed in the most human ways. She is smart and determined and brave. She is also very devoted towards her job as a crime reporter. Jessie was well developed as we also follow her personal issues like her relationship with her parents. However we also get to know about a tragedy that occured to her in the past although we aren’t given many insight on it except how it helped our character relate to the murder of Maura Walsh. This bothered me but then i realized it was adressed in the first book of this series, which i wasn’t aware existed so the link it was satisfactory i suppose.

One Issue was i found it very confusing at times as there were so many people who came up that i tended to forget who was who if they came up more than once.

The Mystery was really well done. I always couldn’t wait to know what would be unraveled next and i wasn’t failed as shocking and deeply interesting plotwists came up everywhere near the conclusion.

I found some unnecessary details along the way. Some descriptions bored me on but it was only few.

The pace of the book started out great. Forward and Eye catching introduction. However it seemed to really slow down as we got to the middle part. I desperately wanted to get to the end and even though the parts were necessary it took so long till I got near the end of the mystery. The conclusion was perfect. It went fast in a balanced way and gave the answers to my long awaited curiosity.

The writing style was great. It was direct informative, and descriptive.

Overall I found it to be enjoyable and gripping with several twists. I will definitely  look into reading the first book and meet Jessie Tucker again for another mystery and her suspenseful past tragedy that grabbed my attention.