Cover Image: The Golden Girl

The Golden Girl

Jessie Tucker is a journalist for the New York Tribune newspaper.  A news report of a murder of Policewoman Maura Walsh 3 weeks earlier, piques her interest for a story.  Twelve years earlier Jessie went through a harrowing experience herself, but survived, which makes her want to delve further into investigating who murdered Maura, no matter the risks.

Jessie is determined and well suited to her job, no stone is left unturned.  An easy read with a great ending, not quite as fast paced as I'd thought it would be, but still worth reading.
Overall great read.
I really liked this book.  It centers on investigative reporter, Jessie Tucker, who is looking into the murder of a superstar policewoman, Maura Walsh, who also happens to be the daughter of the precinct's bigwig.  There are a lot of different players in the story, and a lot of questions around what really happened.  I liked that the reader gets an inkling of what might have happened early in the story and the rest of the book builds on that theory, while adding in additional twists and turns around the way.

Jessie was a really likable character- she showed a lot of moxie.  She had her flaws but that actually made me like her more, as she seemed more human.  I didn't realize this was the 2nd book in the series, but it reads well as a standalone.  The story itself is fast paced with a few really heartbreaking pieces.  The reader gets to understand Maura as well, even though she is killed at the very beginning of the book.

i normally am not into books about corruption and mobsters  but while that is a big piece of this book, it's so much more than that-  police procedure, family dynamics, and an all over good mystery, with a believable heroine.

I would recommend this book to those that enjoy mysteries and police dramas, and think you should give it a chance even if you don't normally enjoy the organized crime piece.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series (and maybe going back to catch up on the first one as well!).

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A female  police officer is gunned down and left to die in an alley and Jessie Tucker, an investigative journalist, wants to get the scoop in who murdered the policewoman.

This was a decent story and Jessie is a great character. Corruption, deceit and an intriguing story make this a good read. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Not much to say, just wasn’t my cup of tea.......................................................................................:
Got into this really quickly.

Investigative reporter Jessie Tucker is an extremely likeable character and one that you're rooting for.

She takes you along for the ride as she follows up on a story of Maura Walsn an NYPD cop who was found shot in all alley way.

She uncovers possible police corruption, links to the mob and a possible connection between a historic murder... The common link between them all is Maura and Jessie is the only one who has made the connection.

Can she find out what really happened to Maura?

Great read, my only criticism was that at times it was a little repeatitve in the small details such as how many times it was explained that Jessie bought coffee for the cops so they would open up to her.

Would recommend.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book this is my honest opinion.
That was a cracking read. It took a while to get into the meat of the story but then it really took off. Reporter Jessie Tucker of the New York Tribune is writing about the shooting death of young policewoman Maura Walsh. It seems a simple enough story, add a bit of human interest and off we go. But from the first interview Jessie realises there is more going on than meets the eye. Every answer she gets leads to more questions and then she also finds links to the past, links to the mob and links to corrupt police.. There are people who really don’t want this story told and will go to any lengths to stop Jessie’s investigating.

I really liked the author’s writing style, filled with wry humour and quirky musings. Despite the main character being a youngish female reporter the author pulled off a plausible and credible character that, thankfully, didn’t fit the pushy journalist stereotype and took logical steps to keep her investigation on track. It was enjoyable and entertaining to read.
i so enjoyed this story this book is a must read how it all unfolds is just brilliant very twisty gripping and addictive it will pull you in from the 1st page and there shocks and you think you figured it out but i was so wrong is a must read
The Golden Girl is a slow burner and not quite what I expected but it’s 100% worth your time.

From the synopsis I thought this would follow Maura but it actually follows Jessie, a newspaper reporter working on a story about Maura and her death. This is a long book as well. It took nearly six hours to complete which is over double my average time to finish a story.
The layers of this book make it believable, everything is thought of and even the things you don’t think of are there! Jessie is one hell of a reporter and I loved reading The Golden Girl. Now going to purchase the first Jessie book! :)
I really enjoyed this book.The main character was believable, flawed but likable, and I admired her determination.The newspaper setting was a bit different to most of the books and the fact that she was investigating the murder of a police woman put a different spin and perspective on the story.I couldn't guess who did what try as I might ,and I liked that too.I couldn't read the book fast enough,and stayed up much too late to finish it.Very good book I would recommend it.
This was a wonderful novel with characters that draw you right in and don’t let go. The storyline flowed seamlessly and kept me glued to the pages.
A book I could not put down.Characters that come alive a chilling multi layered storyline.An author to follow.The cover is really eye catching.Highly recommend.#netgalley#bookouture.
I don't normally like books that have mob, corruption and the likes, but this book reads more like an in depth police procedural.

Maura was perfect. A perfect liar. On a humid summer evening, Officer Maura Walsh is lead to her table at a local restaurant, a trendy place with cocktails on the menu, full of office workers leaning across the bar to flirt. She doesn’t eat or drink anything, doesn’t check anyone out or speak to anyone.

An hour later, Maura is dead. Her silky red hair swirls in the dirty puddles beneath her body. The dank walls of a forgotten alley are the last thing she ever saw. It took a long time for Maura to die, alone in the dark.

Somebody made sure she would have plenty of time to think about what she’d done.

This story follows Jessie Tucker, a reporter for The Tribune in New York City, she becomes obsessed with the recent death of Officer Maura Walsh.  Maura was killed on duty. There are so many questions about what she was doing that night. Jessie can't stop thinking about what was really going on, so she investigates. Jessie like Maura was also left for dead, after being attacked in Central Park.  But while she survived. This attack was referenced often but not fully explained because I'm guessing the first book in the series was about it(I did not notice this was the 2nd of a series until about halfway thru.)

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This story centers around officer Maura Walsh, a woman that someone wants dead. A woman who will die a slow and agonizing death alone in a dirty alley. Somewhat different than the typical thriller, I liked this book, but had a hard time connecting with the heroine
First of all the cover is stunning. This book was phenomenal. It kept me reading from beginning to end. I did not want to put it down. I was blown away by this book. It was well written and the characters were enjoyable and interesting as well. The storyline had me intrigued to continue to read. The conclusion was brilliant and surprised me. I will definitely be reading more from this author!
So this book was a lot more like a police procedural than I was expecting, but it was so well-written that it almost didn't even matter.  Those aren't my favorite types of stories, corruption, the mob, etc. which all are featured in this book, but since the main character is actually a reporter, it's not TOO heavy on that type of material.  The story follows Jessie Tucker, a reporter for The Tribune in New York City who becomes almost obsessed with the recent death of Policewoman Maura Walsh.  Maura was killed on duty and there are so many questions about what she was doing that night and why that Jessie can't stop thinking about what was really going on and she decides to investigate this seemingly ''Golden Girl' of the force.

Jessie relates to Maura in that she herself was also left for dead, after being attacked in Central Park.  But while she survived, Maura didn't.  This attack was referenced often but not fully explained and I kept thinking that I was reading the second book in a series.  And what do you know - I was.  I can't say I'm pleased that this wasn't referenced in the book description, as many readers like myself wouldn't choose to jump into a series without reading the first book.  Sure, it can technically stand alone, but it feels like you're missing out on the foundation of Jessie's character and why she's so motivated.

Besides that issue, I enjoyed the story and it moved quickly after a slower start.  There are plenty of secrets that Jessie uncovers due to her persistent nature and the heartbreaking conclusion will stay with you long after you finish reading.
Honestly, after a good start, slow middle and excellent conclusion, I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. The tension built nicely over the course of the story and I found myself reading quicker and quicker to reach the conclusion. It's a good mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. The author does a great job with her characters and plot line. I found myself cheering for Jessie. I look forward to seeing more from this author and I'm pleased to see that this is going to be the first in a series of books. I definitely recommend.

I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book and exchange for a fair and honest review.
Loved, loved this book. It totally blew my mind.. From beginning to end it was a thrill ride. So chilling and tense. Tons of twists and turns. Outstanding!