Cover Image: Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn Book 8)

Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn Book 8)

Thank you to Bookouture for letting me take part in this tour and for my copy of this book via Netgalley. I am a HUGE Josie Quinn fan and I couldn't wait to get sucked back into her world. This is the 8th book but they can all be read as stand-alones.

Josie Quinn has one hell of a back story and it has made her the person she is.  Josie has grit, she has determination and she has heart. Not only is this a high profile case this is personal. As always Josie manages to compartmentalise to get the job done.

As always Lisa had me hooked from very early on. Her writing is gripping, addictive and well thought out. Not only do we have a case that will keep you on the edge we also get to learn a lot more about Trinity and her childhood. Josie thinks that Trinity had the perfect childhood but in this book, we find out the truth.

There is a very sweet moment between Josie and Trinity which really made my heart sing. This was another fantastic book to a fantastic series and I honestly cannot wait for the next one.
Detective Josie Quinn went a lifetime without her sister Trinity, and now that Trinity is in the clutches of a serial killer, Josie will do anything to find her alive. Josie was kidnapped when she was very young and wasn't raised with Trinity. They have gotten to know one another, but it is only after Trinity's disappearance that Josie realizes that they have a long way to go to get even closer. Josie hopes they get that chance.

When Josie first discovered that Trinity was missing, she discovered remains that almost certainly proved to be Trinity. Only by means of immediate dental records proved that the body wasn't Trinity's, so Josie employs her team, including her lover and fellow officer Noah, to pull out all the stops in order find Trinity before it is two late.

As clues begin to unravel, there are players who over the years that have been involved in rather dangerous if not disgustingly deadly activities. The crux of the matter is that there is one man that seems to be behind it all. As things turn out, facts begin to prove that Trinity had taken research that went far beyond her duties as a journalist. Will this end up in her death?

Find Her Alive is the thrilling 8th book in the Detective Jodie Quinn series. I have read most of the books in the series and have come to love and respect Josie and her doggedness when it comes to getting the bottom of any case she investigates. With this being her sister, this story was all the more riveting. This story keeps on getting better and better. I look forward to seeing what Lisa Regan has in store next for her readers.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.
Detective Josie Quinn's twin sister, Trinity, stormed out of  the house a few weeks ago after an argument.  The two of them have just met recently, as they were separated at birth, so they haven't developed that sibling love and trust.  Trinity has gone to a cabin in a remote area....

so when human remains are found at that same location, Josie panics.  No one has seen her or talked to her for several weeks.

Although Josie's car is still at the cabin .. with keys in the ignition.. luggage in the back seat.. Trinity is missing.  The remains are later found to be those of another woman from a nearby town.

But Trinity has left a message for Josie ...

So who has Trinity?  Is she even still alive?

This is one of my favorite series by one of my favorite authors.  I always know what I will get when one of this  author's books come out .... a tightly woven plot,  suspense from start to finish ...memorable characters ... and an explosive unexpected conclusion.  Combining Josie's personal life with her professional is like getting a bonus. It gives the characters a real face.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital  copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Josie Quinn is a detective for the Denton, Pennsylvania police department and her live-in boyfriend Noah is one of the department’s lieutenants. She feels guilty over a fight she had with her sister, morning show news anchor Trinity Payne. She and Trinity didn’t grow up together, but have become close. When Josie decides to go see Trinity at the cabin she has been staying in, she discovers Trinity’s car and phone at the cabin, but her sister isn’t there. Josie gets scared when bones are found behind the cabin. Josie, Noah, and the rest of her team must race the clock to locate Trinity, if it isn’t already too late.

This book is the eighth book in the Josie Quinn series. I’ve read the two books that come right before this one but the book stands on its own. Most of the book is told from Josie’s point-of-view as the investigation into the bones that were discovered as well as Trinity’s disappearance progresses. These are the best parts of the book. I enjoyed the suspense that built as the book continues and seeing Josie put together all the clues. Also included are chapters from the point of view of a young man named Alex. I understand these chapters give us insight into Alex’s character, but they include some very disturbing descriptions that were too dark for my taste.

The description of the book calls it a “crime thriller” and that is absolutely true. This book and the others in the series that I have read have a unique mixture of police procedural and thriller. The author is able to balance the details of the investigation with descriptions and plot twists that amp up the suspense. The solution ended up being a bit of a let down for me. The clues were there for what was ultimately revealed, but I feel this type of plot twist is becoming overused. However, I do like the very end of the book which picks up a week after the case is resolved and nicely wraps things up for the reader. Although I liked the other books I’ve read by this author more, “Find Her Alive” is still well-written and suspenseful. I really hope there are other books coming in this excellent series.

I received this book from NetGalley through the courtesy of Bookouture. The book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
Find Her Alive is the eighth instalment in the Detective Josie Quinn series, set in Denton, Pennsylvania, and rather than losing steam this series is getting better and better with each book. It isn't necessary to have read the previous books in order to fully enjoy this instalment as the author provides enough backstory to get new readers up to speed. Josie is beginning to worry about her twin sister, Trinity; she left their home after an argument a month ago and no one has seen hide nor hair of her since. She decides to drive to the cabin Trinity had been renting and finds her car packed full of her belongings ready to leave but there's no sign of her anywhere. After looking around she discovers a set of human bones behind the cabin her mind jumps immediately to a serial killer who was active in 2008 and who used to arrange human bones into patterns as a thrill. She now fears her sister is in extreme danger but everyone thought this particular serial killer was either dead or imprisoned. Can she find Trinity before it's too late?

Lisa Regan is a crime writer you can rely on to bring you superb police procedurals; she has never published a bad novel so she's on my favourite writer's list due to that. This is a riveting and exciting read and there are different threads to the plot to keep your interest throughout. The search for Trinity is filled with palpable tension and as they realise this could very well be linked to a serial killer cold case they widen their investigation. It's a real page-turner and an easy and relaxing read despite the grisly subject matter. I enjoy the grittiness of these thrillers and the twists and surprises that are revealed as we progress. It moves at a fast pace and is written in such a way that it pulls you in and before you know it you're, sadly, turning the final page. There is tonnes of drama and suspense and the story gradually becomes more and more addictive as you read on. Josie and her team are not only colleagues but friends too and I must say that they also feel like friends to us readers too as they are so engaging and relatable. Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.
First American crime novel that I have read for a while, well worth the wait! Have come across Josie Quinn previously and found her as good as ever! Well done Lisa Regan, don’t like to give the storyline away a great story find out for yourself.
I love the character of Detective Josie Quinn and Find Her Alive does not disappoint!  Josie's twin sister Trinity,  who is a co anchor on a popular morning show,  is missing.  She was on hiatus from her job,  effectively waiting to be fired after making a gross misjudgment while on air.  Trinity is staying with Josie and is being secretive with what she is investigating before she goes missing.  It transpires that Trinity was trying to solve a serial killer cold case known as The Bone Artist.  The question is did she make contact with the killer and does he have her? Is she even still alive?  This is Josie's most personal and complex case with very few clues to work with.  A fast enjoyable read.  Thank you Netgalley for my advance copy.
Find Her Alive by Lisa Regan
Detective Josie Quinn #8

A fight between twins
One disappears
Bone art clue left behind
Other twin on the case
Will she find her in time…
Or...not

Dark, twisted tale that moved between the serial killer’s life and the present day search for Trinity with bits of both Trinity’s and Josie’s past shared in the process – I could not put it down!

What I liked:
* The tale grabbed me in the beginning and did not let me go till the very end
* The relationships and how strong they were between family members
* The police team and how they worked together
* The intensity of the story
* I felt I was part of the story and was truly invested in the characters and the outcome
* That though I could not condone the killing I could understand how it may have come about
* The mystery and how it was solved
* Josie & Noah and Trinity & Drake – want to hear more about them in future books
* All of it except…

What I didn’t like:
* That some parents can be so callous, mean and evil
* Being reminded of the evil that remains in the world
* Having to say goodbye to the characters – I really want to know what happens next!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC – This is my honest review

5 Stars
Holy smokes!! Get on this speed train as there is nothing better than the latest installment from author Lisa Regan. The book was fast-paced, smooth, with boatloads of backstory so that I was never missing the details I had forgotten, great characters, and a murder mystery which had more twists than a high speed twister. What more could I ask for? The book was the best in the police procedural I had read this year.

The story struck closer to home for Detective Josie Quinn when her twin sister Trinity disappeared, and well posed bones were found behind the cabin. Was that Trinity’s? A delicious question I asked myself. Would the author chop off a character so close to the lead cop?

A roller coaster ride was this where the disappearance of the sister made the stakes higher. The author’s writing was smooth as whiskey and the forensics made it more interesting. Well researched by the author. Josie was brilliant, her emotions especially fear and trepidation hit me hard. And the determination she showed to solve the case won me over. She was highly likable, my anchor in this book.

The story was a murder mystery at the core with a killer in the background, and it was all hands on deck for the team. And they rallied together as Trinity was their own. Secrets were revealed at the right moment, and clues were peppered into the prose. I tell ya, author Lisa Regan is a craft fox. She knew how to pull me into the story, away from my chores.

The story had everything, it was complete. It brought peace to me when my mind was in chaos. It shut off my mind from the outer world for those few hours. I lived in Jose’s world, and it was rocking!!
EXCERPT: Arrayed on the grass before her were bones. Human bones. Not left there, or dumped, but arranged.

Displayed.

A ribcage and spine made up the centrepiece of whatever it was that Josie was staring at - some kind of symbol? Remnants of some kind of satanic ritual? Surrounding the ribcage and spine were smaller bones. Some clinical part of her mind recognized those as the tiny bones of the hands, fingers, feet and toes. Intermingled with those were the clavicles. At the bottom of the circle, pointing from the outer edge toward Josie's feet were longer bones. Arm bones, the cool investigator in the back of her mind whispered, because they were too small to be leg bones. Beneath those bones were the skull and pelvic bone. The empty eye sockets of the skull stared back at Josie, making her chest feel tight. She tore her eyes away from it and looked toward the upper right hand side of the circle, where the leg bones lay, angled away from Josie.

A violent trembling took over her body. Her feet turned and tried to carry her away, but her shins knocked against one of the Adirondack chairs and she went flying over it, tumbling toward the back of the cabin. Her head smacked against the rack of firewood and some of the logs tumbled into her lap. She closed her eyes and tried to slow her breathing. There was a calm, firm voice in the back of her mind - the one that gave her orders when her body shut down from fear or panic. The police officer inside her. 'Take out your phone,' it told her. 'Call for back-up.'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Detective Josie Quinn hasn’t heard from her sister since Trinity stormed out of the house in the heat of an argument three weeks ago. So, when human remains are found at the remote hunting cabin where Trinity was last seen, Josie can only assume the worst.

Gathering her team, Josie feels a surge of relief when the dental records match a different body – that of a missing single mother from a neighboring town. But now Josie’s is not the only broken family desperate for answers.

Dusting the crime scene for prints, a name smudged into the side of a nearby car is the first in a trail of clues Trinity left for Josie. In need of a big story to save her journalism career, it seems Josie’s sister was attempting to make contact with a dangerous serial killer known for creating sculptures with his victim’s bones. And Trinity won’t stop until she’s found him, even if it means becoming his next masterpiece…

Josie is certain there’s a critical clue in the ivory hair comb delivered to Trinity just days before she went missing. But as more bones surface, each set more likely to be Trinity’s than the last, time is running out to find her alive. Can Josie’s team trust her instincts in a case that is so deeply personal? Can she find her sister without putting other innocent lives in danger?

MY THOUGHTS: #8 in the Josie Quinn series! How did we get here so quickly? I have read and enjoyed every one, and Find Her Alive is every bit as good as any of the previous books.

This is easily read as a stand-alone, the back story is fully explained. And that, funnily enough, is my one complaint about Find Her Alive, there's a little too much explanation of the backstory and, for the first time, it doesn't fit easily into this story.

Lisa Regan continues with her character development, this time introducing a love interest for Josie's twin, Trinity. Don't worry...there's no mushy stuff! Regan concentrates firmly on the main plot line - Trinity's disappearance. We learn a lot more about Trinity's background in this book. And believe me, there's a few surprises in there.

Regan's books have it all - mystery, crime, suspense, excitement. At one point, I gasped out loud, both shocked and horrified, but unable to stop reading. The chapters are short and tense. An easy and rewarding read.

You can start with Find Her Alive, but really? You're going to love it. You're going to want to read all the earlier books in the series. And if you read this first, you're going to know stuff that you need to not know to get the most from those earlier books. So please, just be good little readers and start this series from the beginning.

🏕🦅🚔⏳

#FindHerAlive #NetGalley

THE AUTHOR: Lisa Regan is a suspense novelist. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in English and Master of Education Degree from Bloomsburg University. She lives in Philadelphia with her husband and daughter.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via NetGalley for providing a digital ARC of Find Her Alive by Lisa Regan for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review and others are also published on Twitter, Amazon and my webpage
Find Her Alive is book eight in the Josie Quinn series.

This book was really interesting because the case centres on Josie’s sister, Trinity, who goes missing. In previous books we get snippets of Josie’s family here and there but this book was wholly centred on Josie and her family. It was really great to see the dynamics between Christian and Patrick and between Christian and Shannon. Usually the moments we get between Josie and her family are these picture perfect moments where everyone is happy but we got to see the family under stress and it revealed more complexity.

After eight books the one thing we know about Josie is that she’s not perfect. She is very career focused at times and can be a little selfish. For a Cracker Jack police detective who reads body language and can put obscure clues together to solve a case, she doesn’t always apply those observational skills to her personal life and the people in it. And that was really laid bare this book, especially in regard to Trinity and her biological family.

On to the story. We begin with Trinity staying with Noah and Josie. After a big fight, Trinity storms out. After a few weeks of no communication, Josie reaches out to try and reconcile and discovers that Trinity is missing. Her car, purse, cell phone, and a human remains are discovered but Trinity has disappeared without a trace. The race is on to find out what happened. It’s a rollercoaster of a ride and you learn a lot about Trinity and her family, it’s awesome.

Character development, mystery, suspense, dram…this book has it all. Like I mentioned earlier, we learn more about Trinity both what it was like for her growing up and we get insight into why her career is so important to her. We also see more complexity in Trinity’s family, the stress of Trinity being missing reveals a lot about the family dynamic. And it’s also revealed that Trinity has a love interest and I am HERE FOR IT. More Drake, please and thank you.

Overall, I found this book to be a fast read as I was unable to put it down until I read the last page. I’ve mentioned before that when I read book one in the series, Vanishing Girls, I wasn’t a fan of Josie’s initially. But for whatever reason, that I can’t recall now, I did continue with the series and after book two I was completely sold. Josie has grown a lot since that first book and that growth has been a really great journey. Lisa Regan has also grown as a writer since that first book and that’s been a really great development.

A lot of people say these books are standalone and can be read in any order, because they don’t end on cliffhangers or whatever. And I guess, technically, that’s true but you miss out on all the great character development and character journeys. Do yourself a favour, if you haven’t read the series don’t start with book eight. Invest and start at the beginning because you won’t be disappointed!

I would like to thank Netgalley for an advance copy of Find Her Alive, the eight novel in the Josie Quinn series by Lisa Regan.
Wow utterly brilliant!  This series gets better in every book and I throughly enjoyed catching up with Josie, her team and Trinity.  This book was so tense I could hardly breathe, all the while I was madly reading not being able to put the book down. This one had me reading very late in to the night.  Enthralled is a good word for my feelings about this book, it was just so good.  Highly recommend it, and the whole series and it totally deserves five big fat stars.
Guess who's back, back again
Josie's back, tell a friend.

If you have not read this series yet, what are you waiting for? Lisa Regan has brilliantly plotted each of the books in this series and this might just be the best one yet! Explosive, tense, smart, suspenseful, addictive. Crime thrillers with well-developed characters and clever storylines. Each book can be read as a standalone, but I strongly encourage you to read them all. Josie is such a great character and there’s so much growth in her throughout these books. Also each story offers you a glimpse into each of the secondary characters backstories. This book gives us an opportunity to learn a little more about Trinity (Josie’slong lost twin sister).

Josie has not had contact with her sister Trinity a popular morning news host for several weeks, not since they had a bit of a fall out. When Josie is not able to contact her by phone she decides to head to the cabin where she has been staying. When she gets there she finds Trinity‘s car and purse, but no Trinity. She also finds human bones laid out in an artistic manner. Who’s bones are these? And do they have anything to do with what Trinity was investigating before she went missing? Once again Josie finds herself investigating a dark crime where Time is of the essence. Loved playing detective and investigating right along side Josie and crew. All the usual characters helped Josie with the investigation, my favorites of course being Noah and Gretchen. We also get to know Josie‘s parents better in this book as well as her brother Patrick. The mystery was intelligent and I loved how it incorporated shorthand and symbolism. Another winner in this excellent series!

This book in emojis  🚨💀🦅🎤📓🔎

*** Big thank you to Bookouture for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
Absolutely 5 stars all the way for this latest Josie Quinn book. This series is just amazing and the standard has never dropped from the first book up to this latest.
Totally gripping from beginning to end. The action is non stop and you are hurtled along at 100 miles an hour. A roller coaster of a ride. Lisa Regan is in a class of her own.
I have no hesitation in recommending this series never mind this latest.
WOW!!! What a brilliant read! Definitely 1 of the best psychological crime thrillers I've read this year! Lisa Regan is up there with the best.

Have you ever wanted to see a person without their skin.......
If you have or if you are fascinated by this idea this book is a definite read for you!

The story is set in Denton, central Pennsylvania. Detective Josie Quinn has to find her missing sister before its too late....or is she dead already. How did Trinity get involved with this case and can it be traced back to a serial killer who was never found? What is the meaning of the way the human bones are displayed? What is the meaning of the secret message her sister left her? These are just some of the questions Josie must figure out before its too late.

A brilliantly written story with twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I'm over the moon that I have discovered this author and will definitely read more from her. I can so see this book as a movie!

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is book 8 in this detective series it can be read as a standalone but more enjoyable to know more background from previous books.
This one deals with the disappearance of her Sister Trinity. She is a reporter that is trying to get a story about a  serial killer no matter what she has to do to get it. Kept me reading until it was finished and had a great twist at the end that I did not see coming. Another great story.
I don't know how she does it. Lisa Regan's books just keep getting better. Mystery and suspense are masterfully blended with complex characters and twisted relationships. I was hooked from the first page.
Josie and her sister Trinity have been apart following an argument three weeks previously. When Josie realises that noone else has heard from Trinity either she calls to the rented cabin to speak to her. She finds the cabin empty with Trinitys car abandoned outside containing her keys and bags. While checking the cabin she finds a bundle of bones carefully laid out. Are they Trinitys or someone elses? This leads Josie down the path following a serial killer that Trinity had been investigating.
Yet again Lisa Regan gives us an exciting tension filled story. Trinity has left some clues that leads Josie to look into Trinitys teenage years and allows her to uncover her own history. I look forward to reading about Josie and the gang again
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for giving me an arc in exchange for an honest review.
What the blinking frick!!! This is my favourite one yet! It’s going straight on to my list for book of the year, holy mackerel what a blinding book! Gosh, what else is there to say! My heart is pumping so fast from the adrenaline of this book, it DID.NOT.STOP!!! Wow!! From the get-go you are compelled to read the pages, you need to know about the past, you need to know about the argument, you need to know what happens next!

Ok, some sensible writing now, what a book! We have alternating chapters between Josie trying to find her sister and Alex who is living a horrific life! I figured one bit out, but holy smokes didn’t see all of the outcome coming my way!!

The second Trinity goes missing, it is a high octane, always moving, never a breathe being taken as we need to find her and pronto. Josie is consulting on the case, she had an argument with Trinity before she went missing and the guilt she feels is palpable. So much needs to be to said between the pair, and there were some nice touches and hidden messages which I loved. It was also a chance for the twins to realise how little they thought they knew about each, a glimpse to Trinity sad past and also a chance meeting to know how connected they really were, it is a full circle!

One of the key things in this book is family and how it can be the strongest support system you have with the right people. Josie still trying to “fit” in with her family, Trinity trying to be accepted for who she is and Alex, Alex bless him will never have a face that fits in his family. Each subject touched within this confine is done delicately and certain subjects are tackled with care.

Alex, wow, this is one person I felt sorry for. What a life, a pig of a Dad who controlled the household. His mother a successful artist and a sister who is kept locked away. At first, you think you know how he is connected to the present day, then you aren’t sure as Regan throws a few red herrings about and then you are sure. But when it’s made clear how everything is connected, it’s shocking and you still can’t help but feel sorry for him.

This is quite simply, without a doubt, the best book in the series to date (I am not including book 1 or 2 as I’ve still not read it, despite buying them years ago!!). It is quite simply Regans best book, her writing has blown me away. When I saw how many chapters/pages there were, I panicked as I thought I might not finish it in time. However, I read it in about 3 hours as the book did not let go and I had to know how it ended, I mean there was a lot at stake here!

Every book review I write I always make a comment that I want more of Mettner and I kind of got my wish as he is in charge of the case….but there was still not enough of him, so I will wait patiently for the next one, whilst chomping at the bit!!

I really could gush about Find Her Alive all day, it has everything you need in a book, the thrills, the lighter moments, the touching moments, the angry moments, the sad moments and the satisfying conclusion. Although don’t get too annoyed with yourself if you find that you do feel sorry for the killer, I know I did.
Another Josie Quinn book!!!! You better believe I dropped everything to read this.

This installment revolved around Trinity. We got to learn more about her and why her past shaped her into the woman she is today. I was so happy to get to know Trinity more as in the previous books she was kind of unlikable.

I absolutely loved everything about this book, as usual. Especially the fact that all my favorite characters were all getting together to try to find Trinity. Including Josie’s grandmother! So glad she had a bigger part in this one!

Finally, I can’t get enough of Josie and Noah! I’m also obsessed!!!! Can they get married and have babies yet?!?! Eeeeckkk

Well done Lisa and please keep em’ coming!!!