Cover Image: The Raven

The Raven

It's important to note that I am not usually a post-apocalypse story reader. It's usually the same old, same old; zombies, survival, etc.

So when I read the synopsis for The Raven, I was quite intrigued. It wasn't the same old thing. Post-apocalyptic, yes. But work a lot more going for it. Original storyline, well-developed, believable characters, great world-building.

Violent and gory, but not sickeningly so. A little sexually charged for my tastes, but not graphic in any way. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and hope that there is a sequel.
I want a Raven . He is a strong, sometimes fragile survivor. A book that gives a differing view on an global apocalypse instead of roaming zombies you have roaming mythical creature. From Satyrs to werewolves it has them all and it gives the reader an enjoyable yet hearty stopping read.  Johnathon Janz is a horror writer extraordinary and continues to find new ways to scar  and scare the readers of his books.
I'm not that keen on apocalyptic novel but I got to admit that I really enjoyed this one. Jonathan Janz has become a must-read for me and I'm so glad I had the chance to read an ARC via NetGalley and the publisher. This novel is well-written, has interesting characters and a fun plot, and it’s really scary. The journey these fictitious people take to stay alive will grab you from page one and make you want to read it in one sitting. If not, you'll find yourself grabbing the book whenever time permits. That's what happened to me. I look forward to read anything else by this talented man.
Reviewed on Goodreads.com on August 9, 2020:

One thing I appreciate about Jonathan Janz is his ability to tell a horror story that's always different from his previous one. No pigeonholing here. In fact, he's jumping genres this time with The Raven, a post-apocalyptic fantasy that blends horror, action and enough humor for a book like this not to take itself too seriously.

When human DNA is altered by geneticists to bring out dormant monsters, it's up to Dez McClane — a man without any superhero abilities — to battle werewolves, witches, satyrs, and vampires. There's plenty of action and some of Janz's bloodiest fight scenes since his own Wolf Land.

This pandemic gets to me sometimes and I've been looking to escapist fiction for a break. The Raven, due out September 8, 2020, was just what I needed.
Rating: 10/10

Honestly, there is not much to say about The Raven except that it is absolutely out of control (in a good way). Set in a futuristic dystopia, action-packed, and full of monsters Jonathan Janz has given us a story that is as delightful as it is savage.

There are two things you need to know about The Raven, the first being that is one of the most unique books I have ever read, especially when it comes to the plot. It is futuristic dystopian plus vampires, werewolves, witches, and power-addled cannibals meets Battle Royal. After a very short buildup, the action is nonstop for 90% of the book. There was constant tension as it seemed that whatever happened death was waiting around the corner in the form of a mythical or gothic beast. Many of them are mean and hungry and violent, and these constant near-death experiences for the protagonist are what drive the plot. Really, everything else felt like filler, which is fine by me. This book really got my heart rate up, and I was here for every word.

The second thing you need to know about this book is the writing was phenomenal. Janz does not just break every rule, but it lights the rulebook on fire, dices it up, and feeds it to a satyr. You thought every dystopian novel needs a long buildup or explanation? Not in this book. Vampires are not real? Guess again, because it is all genetics that can be brought out with nuclear exposure. How exactly does that work? None of your business, look over there a cannibal is eating your friend while a werewolf gears up for an attack. That is exactly how I felt reading this, a sense of whiplash. The beauty in the writing is that the author gives the reader no breaks to catch their breath. It is one thing after another until you almost cannot stand it, which is the greatest feeling for me because it never gave me an excuse to put the book down. That is the exact reason why I flew through it, reading it only in a couple of sittings.

Even though the premise sounds really strange, The Raven is so good. Scratch that, I think it is so good because it is strange. This book is an unusual and unique concept bringing together so many differing elements to one story and not just making it work but create something that is great. Janz puts on a writing clinic for readers. I recommend The Raven to all fans of fantasy and/or dystopian stories, or for anyone who is looking for something different.
𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙍𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙣⁣
⁣
A post-apocalyptic, horror fantasy adventure!⁣
⁣
Fearing that mankind is heading toward nuclear extinction, a group of geneticists unleash a plot to save the world. They’ve discovered that mythological creatures such as werewolves, vampires, witches, and satyrs were once real, and that these monstrous genetic strands are still present in human DNA. These radical scientists unleash the bestial side of human beings that had been dormant for eons, and within months, most people are dead, and bloodthirsty creatures rule the earth. Despite the fact that Dez McClane has no special powers, he is determined to atone for the lives he couldn’t save and to save the woman he loves. But how long can a man survive in a world full of monsters?⁣
🐺🖤⁣
⁣
First of all, the writing is superb. I've heard of this author before and seen his books here on bookstagram many times, but this is my first time reading one of his books. Thanks to Netgalley and to Flame Tree Press for the opportunity.⁣
⁣
This could have been too much with all the mythical creatures involved, but, holy damn, it worked out pretty solid for me. The explanation about how they came to be is genius! Also, the fight scenes aren't that hard to follow, which is my problem with a lot of action-packed books.⁣
⁣
I love the main character and his struggles psychologically. I thought his character is so well-written, I especially enjoyed reading the journal entries. And I wouldn't mind reading a prequel of this (before the event).⁣
⁣
I would say, though, that this one is set up for a sequel, which is actually exciting! ⁣
⁣
Fast-paced, action-packed! Dark and graphic! I gave this one a solid four stars.⁣
⁣
**𝙸 𝚛𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚊 𝚌𝚘𝚙𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝙽𝚎𝚝𝚐𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚢 𝚒𝚗 𝚎𝚡𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚊𝚗 𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠**⁣
Jao. 🐺⁣
🔖 #Horrorreads #Horrorbookstagram #Horrorreader #creepyreads #Spookyreads #BookObssesed #Instareads #CurrentlyReading #ReadersOfInstagram #bookshelf #bookworld #BooksBooksBooks #BookOfTheDay #Bookgram #JonathanJanz #BookishCoven #FantasyBooks⁣
3 STARS

Doesn't this premise sound ahhh-mazing?? THE RAVEN is an apocalyptic horror-fantasy based in the very near future where you either genetically adapt...or die. Unless you're one of the unlucky "latents" like Dez, who didn't end up with any special powers after the world went to hell in a hand basket (but still managed to survive.)

Had I read this several years ago I would have completely devoured it. THE RAVEN is exactly the kind of book I would have loved to read during my urban fantasy kick. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I just couldn't get into this one. Not to say it was poorly written (it's not) or that the plot sucked (it didn't!) I just had trouble immersing myself in Dez' world. I can see this taking off as a very popular series with a certain group of readers so I don't discourage anyone from trying it out. It just wasn't for me.

This was my first book by Janz and although I didn't enjoy THE RAVEN as much as I'd hoped, I will definitely be picking up more by him. Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for my ARC! THE RAVEN is out now.
"The night he met the cannibals, Dez made the mistake of leaving his hiding place too early."

Janz is always such a master at opening lines.
The reader is immediately catapulted into the action, we're told the story through Dez' POV which transitions smoothly from first person journal entries addressed to the reader into live action.
Each time the narrative changed back to journal entries it was a jolt to remember that I'd been reading a memory.

Everything is a possibility in The Raven, the concept being that all monsters and myths were born from truth. A bioweapon has altered human DNA and opened the doors to long dormant abilities.
There's a small twist on each of the known quantities in The Raven, for instance; Cannibals get an instant strength boost from devouring humans and Werewolf transitions are instigated by various emotional triggers- I enjoyed this new take on familiar figures.

I liked the way Janz showed us human behaviour after the known world has ended. The differences between those who fight only to survive and the ones living for the thrill of the kill, and especially for the unwilling monsters; those that battle their transformation and feel remorse for their actions afterward.

The Raven is unrelenting from start to end, with the characters not safe for even a moment, Janz heightens the tension in every page.
I did find Dez' constant self pity rather irritating, he is always mentally berating himself in his father's voice and assuming responsibility for every little thing. After the first few times I started to skim past those monologues. Other than that minor annoyance I loved every other part of this book.

It seems to me we may be in luck as there is definitely cause for a sequel- I do hope so, I'll be first in line to read it.
This book was incredibly entertaining, full of action and interesting characters. I thoroughly enjoyed Janz's version of dystopian fiction with supernatural monsters. I was forewarned, thanks to early reviews, that the ending is abrupt - hinting at possibly more books set in this universe in the future so I wasn't bothered by it. It also explained why certain character introductions/reveals happened towards the end.

It was a fun read so if you're looking to add some exciting new books to your October reads, this would make a great addition.
This may be a ranting review because Mr Janz what are you doing to me!!! I really bloody hope there is another book and you know maybe a third or a fourth! I was enjoying the book, it was intense there at the end and then…then…bam…Acknowledgements. Now I checked my kindle just in case I was missing something, check my book to see if I was missing pages or anything had come loose. I text Kate (Portable Magic) to ask if it was the same for her. I can’t repeat what I said to her afterwards, it’s too spoiler territory but she did laugh at me. I howled at the moon in despair, wait what?! But no bottom line is, I had the complete book and ebook, I’m not missing anything. My other conclusion is that Mr Janz has finished the book and maybe it cut off at the printers? Or he forgot to send that bit to the publishers? I can come up with many theories here but none of this detracts what a wild ride this book is!

Now everyone who is anyone in my little bubble knows that this author, the legend that he is, is my go-to for all things spooky and gory. This is most definitely the gory side of things, I did also make the mistake of starting this book on my lunch break. Now nothing normally puts me off my food, ever, but this book well I might have felt slightly queasy, so that is an accomplishment there! I mean if flayed penises are your thing at lunchtime come on over and join the crew.

The worrying thing about The Raven is I have always a small fear about books and films about a chemical that can make people into zombies, carry the virus which makes them crazy, you know the everyday world we are living in now!! So when this book pops up, I don’t read the blurb, don’t need to, but man this book could be just as real as any other romance or thriller we read. This is a lab-based virus which wipes people out, and then others with “junk” DNA can turn in to a whole array of mystical creatures it’s astounding. Something I think could happen now! I mean hello Resident Evil, Covid?

I have so many theories with this book but I can’t share them here for the fear of spoiling but if you read it and want to discuss feel free to message me! I have theories behind why he is called The Raven. I have theories about the Edgar Allen Poe poem mentioned in the book. I have a theory about the entire book! But these are theories, let’s talk about the book!

This book is one heck of a gruesome, Walking Dead kinda vibe. Think Neagan and you have Keaton, only not as hot. You have to have a bad guy, and this guy is as bad as they come, remember the penis comment, well thank him! I found it fascinating the combination of the supernatural creatures in a community. We have everything you can think of and then you have the Latents, the no supernatural abilities whatsoever which add an extra spice to the book. It is a tale of man, Dez, seeking revenge, best kind and well things don’t always work out how you expect them. So much blood, guts and gore you will be sliding all over the place, just how it’s meant to be in Shadeland. Yes, we are back there again and I love it! This place is like Maine in a King book, just don’t ever go there!!

I haven’t even spoken about the main characters or any characters really. I don’t think I will, I think you should meet them yourself. They all have their own story for you to hear plus they tell it better than me. Just make sure you listen closely.

I feel like I had some sort of weird trippy drug trip with this book. There is so much going on in such few pages. Still, with its homage to a Richard Laymon book, it packs quite a few punches. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though my mojo has gone on holiday, I know that a Janz book is one that will pick me up straight away. I mean how long is this review!!

Bottom line, I want more of the Raven and I want more of Janz’ stories! Win-win really! Janz has all the magic of a horror book, the tension, the backstory, the girl, enough to keep you on hanging on the hook demanding more (have I done that enough!?). He powers through you with all of this and he leaves you with the taste of blood in your mouth and a need for more.
I devoured the first half of the book in a single sitting. It fascinated me that Dez seemed to be such a human character, a very real man with virtues and flaws, tortured by his past and his weakness, because he's not a hero, not a strong adult capable of doing everything. He's not Rambo, in short, but a common man scared to death and scarred with trauma after the whole world went down.
Full review: https://tintanocturna.blogspot.com/2020/09/book-review-raven.html
Yup, you have all sorts of mythological creatures in The Raven. You also got cannibalism. Yikes. Luckily, it’s not described as the creepy type where a waft of lovingly made stew turns out to be someone’s grandmother. That type makes me gag, always. In The Raven, it’s the gory type. I can handle that. Weird. Anyway, the point is, as you may have got by now, the world is in shits, there are mostly mythological creatures roaming the earth and a few Latents (humans without any special powers) and every new face one meets can be the last face they meet because munch-munch. As far as post-apocalyptic horror thriller goes, it’s entertaining as heck and would make a really decent movie!

The Raven starts with action taking the reader straight down to business and giving a feel of the world as it is currently for our central character Dez, or the Raven as he will also be nicknamed. With the particulars and a look into the threats and dangers of the post-apocalyptic world out of the way, the book continues to give insight into the background of how we got here, the point of this desolate and kill or be killed world, why we’re on this treacherous journey with Dez (there’s a woman!) and what he is like as a person. Make no mistake though, you think you get to know this nerdy literature loving professor but he seems to be a gift that keeps on giving! ^^

There is plenty time for Dez to mull over his innermost thoughts as he ventures on his own. It’s interesting what the human mind can bring up… Things of import and not. I think author took a great risk, making a character vulnerable like that – one could easily bore a reader…. but as I mentioned earlier, Dez is one of those gifts that keeps on giving. He has so many inner conflicts, well, the past mistakes weighing heavily on his mind and there’s a woman. There’s always a woman. Goddammit, ladies, we make this world go around! 🙂 But, what I am aiming at is the fact that Dez is not perfect, perhaps even questionable at times, but I guess that depends on every readers own moral compass.

The Raven is not just gore, tear out throat, shoot an arrow to the heart, chases through the forest, break a bar stool on someone’s back. The Raven offers more among the crackling tension of a looming live or die fight; it has moments of intellectual depth and humor, you will be stabbed by bouts of empathy and sadness and bubbling feelings of victory. Dare I say, I thought the author was even ballsy enough to throw some stereotypical manly moments into the mix – you know, the moments of vulnerability over ones abs, for example. Or the moments of daring to check out another woman, gasp! 😀 Anyway, I feel this was a pretty wholesome experience.
Amazing how a book that started out so badly could end up being so good! This was one of the rare occasions were I was really, really glad I did not give up on the story prematurely but stayed with it to the end. After the first ca. 50 pages I was almost ready to quit, something I would never have believed possible with a novel written by Jonathan Janz. But the combination of monster/action horror with an ambitious character drawing didn't seem to fit and felt really awkward. Also, I was not satisfied with the reason for the apocalypse that turned almost every human into some kind of monster. It seemed far-fetched and, if that makes sense, rather popular, like an easy but ill-fitting choice to pave the way for what comes after. Also, the first encounters of our hero, or rather anti-hero, Dez, with the new monsters - one a group of cannibals, the other with a werewolf - read like a clumsy introduction into the new post-apocalyptic world, constantly switching between full-blown bloody action and too thoughtful moments, like the author needed some time to get in the right flow.

However, once our hero, or rather anti-hero, reaches the destination of his journey, the Four Winds bar, to investigate, or more possibly avenge, the fate of his abducted girlfriend, everything seemed to fall into place and the story really had me hooked. I loved how Dez grew into his role of a hero, the brooding figure with a too large conscience for his own good. At this point, the writing was perfectly balanced: lots of action (which a couple of times reminded me of From Dusk Til Dawn) and great characters, which were introduced easily along the way but lingered with you for the rest of the novel (though not all of them alive). The whole thing, as also mentioned a couple of times, had a great western-style feeling to it, full of brooding, mysterious figures and bad-ass villains. In the end I was surprised to realize how much I actually enjoyed the story and I was disappointed to reach the end, only slightly consoled by the possible prospect of a sequel.
The Raven is a post-apocalyptic romp through nightmares made real. Thanks to scientists meddling with DNA, monsters are now living amongst humanity and Latents (humans with no monstrous abilities) are forced to hide and fight for their lives. This book follows Dez, a latent wracked with guilt, as he navigates this new world and searches for someone he lost. I wouldn’t call this book frightening, but the fights are graphic and gory, and seeing what has happened to humanity is truly horrific. I hope this is the first in a series so we can see where Janz takes this story next.

I received an e-arc from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
I always talk about my love for SFF and comics on this blog but horror sometimes falls by the wayside here. I've been reading horror since I was 13 (10 if you include Under the Hawthorne Tree. If you know, you know.). I am ashamed to say that despite my love of horror, I have never read a Jonathan Janz book. Until now!

I haven't read a book that felt this cinematic in a very long time. Everything literally felt like I was sat watching it on screen instead of a book. This is a grim, dark world that is both familiar yet totally alien. Not a single moment gives you relief from the constant threats this world throws at it's characters and for a post apocalyptic novel that I read during a global pandemic, I had great fun.

One things that struck me was Janz's wonderful ability for world building. This is a world that felt lived in and it certainly felt like he was questioning just what lengths he could really push the misery of the characters lives. And then how could he make it worse. He honestly has such a knack for writing a world like this, like trying to pitch a pandemic level apocalypse that turns people into vampires and werewolves as a novel is just so unique. I honestly am mostly obsessed with the concept and I really enjoyed it.

Now as we all know, horror is hinged on atmosphere. This book does it times ten. This world is bleak, it's unforgiving and you will die in seconds if you don't have your eye on the ball. Like honestly Janz does not care about the wellbeing of his characters. Dez, our protagonist, literally escapes a bunch of cannibals and watches 2 people being killed and consumed, he finds shelter (and popcorn!) only for his peace to be ruined and his life nearly stolen at by a grieving werewolf. Noone at all catches a break here.

Random thing I really liked about the myriad of monsters of this world is the werewolves. They aren't transformed or alered by moonlight but ususally an emotional trigger. Dez does let us know that is seems to be mostly anger or rage of some kind that sets off the transformation of human to wolf. However w do meet one later that changes as a result of the crushing grief at the loss of his wife. I really liked that since it is an interesting modern take.

Janz is truly brutal to his characters though. Dez has been through almightly hell when we meet him. Mostly as a result of the post traumatic stress of the loss of his son, he lives in this constant state of guilt. One small complaint I really didn't like was the brief hint that he had a form of possible OCD but he never bothered to get it checked. I know it's the apocalypse but this is distinctly described as a moment of contemplation when he thinks of the past. Outside of that, all the characters need a cup of tea that isn't secretly full of wasps.
The horror is really dialled up to ten, the characters are interesting but what took the last star was the plot and structure of the book. We had what promised to be every other chapter told in the first person by Dez. That only lasts for a few chapters and it is forgotten about. The framing device is the journal he keeps and those chapters are his entries, granted he can't write them all the time but the lack of consistency with it was a bit jarring.

Thank you to both Flame Tree Press and NetGalley for an early copy of this book for review. This was highly enjoyable and I look forward to reading more of Janz work. Thanks for checking in everyone! happy reading! 'The Raven' is out now.
A unique twist on the post-apocalyptic horror story, The Raven explores a world that has been overwhelmed with ordinary people turned into monsters. Werewolves, vampires, cannibals, and satyrs are just the surface of what's roaming the new world. It's a fun premise, that's well explained with world building that makes sense. Lots of brutality, plenty of kills and scares, but in this book, as his others, Janz shines in giving us the human element amid the horror. The time we spend inside Dez's head, revisiting all he regrets and fears, puts the reader into the emotional reality of the world humanity is living in. The cast is rounded out with plenty of other multi diminsional characters, though nothing, and no one, can be taken at face value. This is another element of what sets this work apart - there's a great exploration of what it truly means to survive.
Without a doubt, Janz has written one of my new all-time favourite horror novels. Between the engaging and suspenseful story, the loveable characters, and enough gory detail to forever haunt my dreams, there was nothing I didn't love about this book. From the first line, I knew I was going to like Janz's protagonist, but I did not expect to find myself sympathizing with Dez so much that I was audibly cheering for his survival all the way through. I also thoroughly enjoyed Janz's take on the traits of all the legendary monsters and mythical creatures, even if some of them were more terrifying than what can already be found in popular culture.
Huge thank you to netgalley for providing me with a digital ARC, to Flame Tree Press for the physical copy and also to Jonathan Janz for this opportunity!

The Raven is a post apocalyptic smorgasbord of delicious monstrous flavors that I devoured like a werewolf devouring its prey during a full moon.

—-
As mankind heads for nuclear extinction, a group of geneticists find monster characteristics present in human DNA and unleash bloodthirsty creatures to rule the world, wiping out most of humanity.

“𝘏𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴. 𝘞𝘦 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘱𝘶𝘴𝘩 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘥𝘰𝘸 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦.”

Dez McClane is one of the remaining humans who has managed to stay alive despite having no special abilities, and we join him on his quest to find the woman he loves and in his fight to stay alive.

—-

I have to admit, the last few post apocalyptic novels I have read I didn’t LOVE, so I have quietly avoided reading them for fear it will just end in disappointment. But....after reading The Raven, I am happy to report that the curse is broken! With monsters, action, great world building, and a cast of fabulous characters, I found it unique is so many different aspects.

I ate up the bloody fight scenes, gory details and cringe worthy descriptions ( “𝘩𝘦’𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘱𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘵, 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘤 𝘴𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘯’𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘯.” ) and I’m one of those people who enjoys a side of romance with the main course. I could picture this messed up world in my head pretty vividly which rates this book even higher in my review. As a reader of horror as well as fantasy, I love intricate world building and I hope Janz only dives further down that wormhole as Dez’s journey continues.

I give The Raven by @jonathanjanz an enthusiastic ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 and patiently (more like impatiently) await the next book!
The Raven is not a book you should start reading at night! I learnt this first hand and I mean it in such a good way! Janz is a fantastic writer and his images are vivid and, at times, incredibly visceral. The world in which Dez lives is very different to the one we are used to, but I was drawn into it immediately by the atmospheric writing.

Janz's imagination really comes to the fore in The Raven, as he brings to life the werewolves, vampires and satyrs we read about as children. These creatures lie dormant in ordinary people and I loved the way Janz explored the human element of the creatures.

As the novel progresses, there is a huge amount of tension and a very real sense of danger. These developments had me on the edge of my seat until the very end!

Horror is not a genre I read very regularly, but Janz has definitely changed this for me!
This was a raving bloody  romp through apocalypse proportions!

A little backstory for you readers:

An event known as the Four Winds decimated life and created new life in forms of creatures that roam the earth. Dez McClane survived the Four Winds but has to endure the inhabitants around him which include monsters from every form of life. Everything is in this book including Minotaurs that have free rein throughout the world. Dez is not one of these creatures as he is human which in this world is known as Latent and he is has no superhuman abilities either.

Dez has to travel through the terrain in search of his partner Susan but by searching for her, Dez will have to fight and survive the creatures roaming this world.

Thoughts:

This was a whole different concept for author, Jonathan Janz as he moved into horror apocalyptic, but with this book he stepped out into what I would call a cross between urban fantasy, modern day western, and science fiction horror.

I can say it was different but there are horror elements integrated within the story with the creatures which include vampires, werewolves, cannibals, etc. just to name a few and there is tons of extreme gore interlaced through the story as well which takes the storyline into extreme splatterpunk.

Lots of twists, turns, edge of the seat pacing and descriptive blood/gore scenes that kept my attention throughout the story. Giving this one five stars for creative imagination and graphic horror scenes that will make horror readers scream for more!