Cover Image: The Forger's Daughter

The Forger's Daughter

** 2.5- 3 Stars **

Eh.. this one fell short for me and I think I'm to blame. Unfortunately I did not read the first novel "The Forger" and therefore I just didn't connect to the characters.
Will and his wife Meghan, find their daughter Maisie visibly upset, holding a package, she was given by the attacker and told to present to her father. This is all about a plot to counterfeit the rarest book, Edgar Allan Poe's first, Tamerlane.
Yea... It doesn't really sound all that exciting but it was more interesting than I expected. I've read some rave reviews on these, just wasn't for me.

Special Thanks to NetGalley and Mysterious Press for allowing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
While I am grateful to the author and publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this title, a busy schedule got in the way, and I was unable to read it before it was archived on Netgalley. I will be looking for a physical copy of this title at my local bookstore!
I really enjoyed The Forger's Daughter. I would love to read more like this by Bradford Morrow in the future. Five stars.
Even though this novel is about forgery of rare books, the unsavory characters that it can draw, and the money to be made, I felt it was more about relationships. In this case, what allows a father and daughter to have an undiminished relationship despite the secrets they share. I enjoyed the insight into what it takes to be a master forger or calligrapher. The slow build tension, however, was let down with the rather quick windup of the story.

Thanks to NetGalley and Grove Press for the ARC to read and review.
Review posted on amazon and Goodreads - 4 out of 5 stars.
My thanks to Grove Atlantic/Mysterious Press for an ebook ARC through NetGallery.
I had read Morrow years ago when he was a straight "literary" writer, and was pleased to receive a copy of "The Forgers" for Christmas when it was published in late 2014.  I have to admit I was disappointed in that book.
Yet, when this title was offered through NetGallery it drew me in enough to request it.  And it paid off.
Morrow fills us in here and there about what happened in "The Forgers" and the relationships between the various characters.  So no need to go back and (re)read that title.
What I liked so much more about this book was he has been able to combine his "literary  novels" skills within a mystery novel so much better than his initial offering.  Also, there is much less violence in this one.
A bibliomystery built around the forgery of a copy of the "black tulip", Poe's "Tamerlane".  I loved all the rare book and rare book market information - and the detail of what would go in to forging an early 19th C rarity.
At times it is hard to believe that Will would return to his criminal past, and even harder to believe that his artistic daughter seems to follow him down, with so little thought given to what she is doing, or its consequences.  But in the end, it works.
A First Person narrative, and chapters switch between Will and his wife Meghan.  It keeps the plot line a little fresher than just using 1 narrator.
A really good bibliomystery, with loads of rare book detail, and enough twists and turns to the plot to keep you reading through the night.   I'm probably looking forward more to where his daughter Nichol goes than what will happen with Will.
As a book lover, I find the details about the literary world in The Forger's Daughter by Bradford Morrow fascinating. Yet, it also renders the slow pace of the book. The conclusion of the book comes at a fast pace and includes some unexpected events. It takes the book away from the world of rare books and brings it somewhere else all together. It's hard to find a protagonist to cheer for by the end unfortunately. Nevertheless, the book is an intriguing look at the world of rare books.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2020/11/the-forgers-daughter.html

Reviewed for NetGalley.
Will had reformed his life. Now married to Meghan, father to two daughters, and living in the Hudson Valley, life was relatively good for this Irishman. Meghan, who was a seller of rare books, was well aware of his past as a forger, and how he sent his accomplice, Henry Slater, to prison. But that was twenty years ago.

Will had put his skills to good use, as he taught his eldest daughter, Nicole, calligraphy when she was young. This proved to be valuable father/daughter time, which continued through her college years.

However, Slater hadn’t reformed and hadn’t forgotten. Upon his release from prison, he had nefarious plans for Will. He coerced Will to produce a counterfeit of an early work of Edgar Allen Poe, “Tamerlane”. Will could no longer write with exact precision (partially due to an earlier altercation with Slater), but his daughter had the skill. Could he get her to accomplish this task, even if she had no idea of the crime she was committing?

There were even more questions and concerns. Will had found the art of forgery addicting, so could he escape the craving of the thrill after this assignment was complete? Would this get Slater out of their lives for good, even though Will knew of his propensity for violence and possibly murder?

The Forger’s Daughter takes a contemporary thriller with murder and sociopathy and weaves it into the nineteenth-century world of rare books and even the history of Edgar Allen Poe. It keeps readers guessing as we are not sure of the characters’ motives until the end. The author’s writing skill brings each of the geographical and historical settings to life.

What I particularly appreciate about this novel is its originality, and that is hard to come by. This thriller will keep you glued to every page until the end.

(The complete review will be posted on UnderratedReads.)
This was my first read from NetGalley, but, unfortunately, it didn't work for me.
During the reading, I felt that some of the characters were already introduced, as if the book was a sequel. I found out after reading that it was, so a feel thigs made more sense to me.

I loved the idea of the book. I really like books about books, or about people who loves books, or the the literary world in general. But this book seemed lost, like an mid-season episode that you watch on TV in the middle of the night when you can't sleep. Therefore, my opinion about this book is vague.

But the writing style is pleasant and the reading is quick to finish. So, i guess, if you have readed the first book, you will probably like this one.
I received a complimentary digital copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

It appears that this is a sequel to “The Forgers”. That being said I had no problem following the story and relationships between the characters. The book flows in a manner in which can confuse as its shifts narration from Will to Meghan randomly.

This book has taken me so long to read. It was interesting but not enough to captivate me. I was easily distracted by all the extraneous information about forgery, classical music and characters I found less than thrilling.

Will and Meghan adopted Maisie when Mary Chandler, Meg’s best friend/business partner dies. The father is unknown as it is told that Mary used a “donor” to have a baby. The antique book store owners also have an adult daughter Nicole who also has a talent for replication. Will and Meg finally feel settled in New York after living in the countryside in Ireland.

Their lives are suddenly changed when an unexpected and undesired visitor from the past makes his presence known. The history between Will and Henry Slader was competitive and contentious back when Will was deeply involved with forgery of old documents for profit. The relationship ended rather violently when Slader attacks Will ultimately mutilated his right hand. Will had hoped to never see the dangerous man again. Unfortunately, Slader shows up requesting one last favor knowing he has a secret from the past that Will would prefer not be revealed.

The two men share a mutual acquaintance Atticus who is peripherally involved with this latest scam involving a forgery of Edgar Allen Poe’s “Tamerlane”. The historical information regarding Poe was unknown to me and added to the significance of the crime if discovered. The murder of Meg’s brother Adam Deihl has remained unsolved for years. Will and Slader have kept the details of her brother’s involvement with their illegal activities. Meg has her own past secrets which ultimately tie the whole story together.

Overall, I was underwhelmed and found the story predictable. The historical information seemed well researched although laborious in detail. This book is well suited for those interested in mysteries particularly about Poe and antique books.
What is nature and what is nurture.  Rare book forging seems to run through a few generations of the family, but not for want of trying to stop it at each generation.  An allegory of Edgar Allan Poe’s works, this centers on the need to create a copy of Tamerlane.  Our hero (Antihero?) has to bring his daughter into the mix to get it done, which he only does because he’s being blackmailed about an old death.  Great insights into the rare book business, and the dangers of forgeries there. Wonderful settings in upstate NY and the East Village.  Less mystery than psychological drama, it’s still a compelling read.
This book had all the elements of a book that I should love - a psychological thriller, a story about books, a typical family,.. but I was disapointed with the execution of said elements.
The main character, Will,  is blackmailed into creating an exact replica of a rare first book by Edgar Allen Poe as well as creating a letter of provenance to back it up.  However, in order to do this, he must call upon the talents of his oldest daughter who is studying art in college.
From the getgo - I never really understood the relationship between the forger and his former accomplice.  I think there were too many points of view and too much detail about forgery that lent little to the process of the story.  I thought the first half provided TMI and not enough background without ever really identifying the real crime that Will committed and why the blackmailer was so intent on ruining his life.
Although the plot twists were pretty obvious, I feel that there wer many unanswered questions, including Will's past crime, but what was Megan's brother such a factor in this crime?  I think that the book would have been a little more engaging had it just been about the turmoin that the blackmailer brought upon the family, and cut out several characters who didn't really add anything to the story.
The first half of the book was extremely slow and filled with the internal thoughts of Megan and Will, without much happening.  The middle went by with a little more going on, an a little tension, however, the ending was so abrupt that I felt there wer still some unresolved issues.  I wasn't sure if it was the end of the book or a lead into book 3 of the series.
The story is told in tandem by Will and his wife Meghan, characters who are living quiet lives, but possess a great deal of baggage. It is a sequel to The Forgers, but takes off in a different direction. Their peaceful life together is suddenly interrupted by the past, and a rare Edgar Allen Poe work is at the center of everything. Poe fans will enjoy this story, with all of it's twists and turns. The Forger's Daughter is a well-written thriller that will keep you guessing.
"The Forger's Daughter" follows retired literary forger Will, his bookstore owning wife Meghan, and their two daughters as someone from Will's sordid past tries to pull them back into the world of creating high risk literary forgeries. Will and Meghan each struggle with their own parts to play in orchestrating the forgery and sale of one of the rarest works in American literature while trying desperately to keep from entrenching themselves in a criminal past that they would rather forget.

While this book is advertised as a thriller, I found it anything but. Any danger or risk inherent in the plot is immediately overwhelmed by extensive and tedious descriptions of outdoor surroundings or antique literary works. Both Will and Meghan narrate the novel, but their points of view are written so similarly that the reader often only knows who is speaking once they mention someone else's name in dialogue. These characters feel static and undeveloped. Will spends a lot of time congratulating himself on his skills in both creating and detecting literary forgeries while Meghan spends a lot of time dropping not-so-subtle hints as to just how cultured and impressive she is in everything from what she buys for her store to what kind of music she listens to. Even Will and Meghan's teenage daughter Nicole has somehow become a wine connoisseur while attending college as well as possessing incredible calligraphic and printing talents. Overall, I didn't find the family interesting to read about, the action compelling, or the constant asides to literary culture amusing.
This is a sequel to the author’s first book, The Forger, which I did not read.  Therefore, it took me a little while to get caught up with the characters and where the story had picked up.  The protagonist, Will, is a reformed forger of rare books and documents.  He is married to Meghan, an owner of a rare bookshop and they have two daughters.  The story is told in two voices, going between Will and Meg, a technique which the author employs very well.  We learn that Will’s past has made him vulnerable to blackmail and that is exactly what happens as an accomplice from his past surfaces, threatens to make public his deepest secrets which  forces him into a grand scheme to  forge a book by Edgar Allen Poe.  As the story unfolds, Will’s wife and two daughters are pulled into the plot.

Well written, with beautiful descriptive passages detailing the Hudson River valley, and relationships between characters that are believable, this book will keep you waiting for the other shoe to drop—because it always seems to—until the surprising end.  My thanks to NetGalley for the advanced reader’s copy.
Is a thief always a thief? How about someone who scams people for a living? Can they turn the corner and change their lives? That’s the gist of what this book is about. I had a hard time believing this plot. The idea of an old pal blackmailing a former forger into recreating a Poe poem is not difficult to comprehend. Somehow though the involvement of a past forger participating due to extreme concern about his family and then involving his own daughter to help just didn’t fit with me. I kept thinking “go to the police”. There would then have been no story, huh?

Truth is, I just had a difficult time with the beginning of this book. I felt it moved very slowly. I didn’t read the previous book. Maybe that would have given me a better understanding of the explanation I felt I was being given. I was very confused at first, but I think that had to do with the pace of the book.
All told if you enjoy hearing about the rare materials and books and a little bit of flowery language, this may be your book. I wasn’t disappointed I read the book, but I would not go back and read Book 1.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

The Forger's Daughter is about forging the "rarest book in American Literature, Edgar Allen Poe's first book, Tamerlane." The idea  sounded so-so - but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the read at all. The sentences are ridiculously long and the descriptions felt stilted. Where was the book editor? It is too long and feels like it was written by a narrator from 200 years ago.
I thought this was a decent book with the characters set not too complexly. I would be interested to see what the author will come up next.
Somehow, I missed that this book was a sequel when I requested it. But, this volume was readable without the first book as a precursor. An entertaining book with book forging, blackmail, marriage and mystery.
The Forger's Daughter by Bradford Morrow was an insider account of the forgery of a first edition book by Edgar Allan Poe, with no author's name, only 12 being in existence. This was done on a letterpress. Also, an accompanying letter in the author's handwriting. It was done under threat of blackmail by an experienced forger and his adult daughter. It was an interesting story, which even at its conclusion left many unanswered questions. Another important fact: no one told the truth.

This was an interesting novel, which was mostly a first person narrative, but the speaker varied. It was in turns the story of a marriage, the story of a murder, the story of a past life, and the story of blackmail. The entire thing was the story of stress, for many people. It was interesting and well done. It held my rapt attention, at first because I couldn't understand then because I needed to know why, which I figured out, in part, before the author revealed all. It was at times frightening, at other times, loving. Murder. Blackmail. Corruption. I recommend it.

I was invited to read a free ARC of The Forger's Daughter by Netgalley. All opinions and interpretations contained herein are solely my own. #netgalley #theforgersdaughter
I normally don't attempt a sequel without reading the precursor (The Forgers), but was intrigued by a number of things on first glance.  Books, of course, are always a favorite and the forging of literary works grabbed my attention especially as it concerned Edgar Allen Poe.  A remote country home near a forest and a mysterious encounter got me off to a great start.  I became bogged down during the increasingly detailed discussions of forging, calligraphy and printing and confess I began to skim.  I found the circumstances surrounding Will's motivation to participate in the forgery even with the suggestion of the threat to disclose his involvement in an old death of a family member rather vague; it was never explained to my satisfaction.  I was entertained but not wowed and occasionally annoyed by the alternating narratives which led to my being confused as to who was speaking and having to reread when I realized the perspective had changed.  Perhaps reading the first book might have changed my opinion.