Cover Image: Quantum Shadows

Quantum Shadows

Quantum Shadows is the latest novel from L.E. Modesitt Jr., and you just know that it's going to be a book full to the brim of science fiction and so much more.

Heaven is a world – a true world. In this world, there exist ten religions. It gets just about as complex as one might expect – gods, Hegemon, capital cities, and rules for each and every one of the major ten.

Corvyn is from this very world, and it's his job to contain some of the most important memories belonging to humankind. The sort required to prevent then from repeating history. Naturally, that means they're about to be thrown into a quest to save humanity.

I'm going to be upfront with you here. Normally I try to avoid science fiction or fantasy novels that are this full of religion. It's just not my cup of tea. Yet because it was L.E. Modesitt Jr. that wrote this novel, I felt compelled to give it a chance.

Maybe it's because of that bias that I found myself not loving this novel as much as I would have hoped, or liked. Still, I did enjoy it more than I expected, so that balanced out pretty nicely in my book.

You can really see Modesitt's philosophy background shining through here, and that was really fascinating to see. Still, this book is not like any of the others I've read by him, so consider yourself warned on that front.

I enjoyed being able to see something different and unique, both in this genre and from the author. I know I didn't end up loving it, but I still found the journey to be interesting. The concept behind Corvyn's character (and the job/burden they carried) was fascinating enough to have had me read the whole thing, and with good reason.
A brilliant novel I couldn't put down. I love this author and had high expectations, I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed.
Great world building, fascinating characters and a plot that kept me hooked.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This was vastly different from what I was expecting of a Modesitt book. I have to admit,  it took me a bit to get into it, but I think that's due to expectations. So I paused the book, and came back to it after was able to open my mind up for an experience that I wasn't prepared for when I first started. That seemed to make a world of difference. The writing still had his typical philosophical undertones, which I greatly appreciated. I like when a book makes me think and see things from other perspectives,

Quantum shadows isn't a Sci Fi, it's a Science Fantasy, so know that going in. That's clear from the synopsis, yet I know there are others like me that don't always read the synopsis lol. I thought the world building was fantastic, and  I was totally invested in Corvyn.

I don't know if this will be a good fit for people that are new to Science Fiction, but I do think that people who like Modesitt will, as long as they are prepared for the fact that it NOT a book like any other book hes' written ;)

Thank you Netgalley and Tor books for the e-galley and opportunity to share my thoughts.
Tor Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Quantum Shadows.  I voluntarily chose to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

The world, Heaven, is full of the Gods, everyone who the people worship.  If a God makes a mistake, they get erased and have to begin again.  The main character, Corvyn, has been through humanity's many Falls from Grace and wants to be sure that the world stays intact.  After a black image is burned onto a wall by an unknown, it is up to Corvyn to stop it from triggering the next Fall.

The novel is an allegory- people need to listen to each other and let everyone be.  This look at current society through the lens of science fiction is meant to make the reader think.  Those looking for science fiction action should look elsewhere, as there is definitely more scenes involving brain power than muscles.  There is a limited plot and little storytelling, making Quantum Shadows not one of this veteran author's best.
This book was fantastic.  Not entirely sure what was happening during most of it - it's more like a philosophical and anthropological journey 'through the lands & restaurants' of Helios but I still loved it.  The world-building is superb and I was completely invested in Corven, who may or may not be a good guy.  Much like Rosewater - was immersed and carried along in a melt-water of superb writing & imagination on fire.  5 stars.

Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was another great L.E. Modesitt Jr. book for my keeper-shelf. I've read just about everything from this author and I have yet to be disappointed. Quantum Shadows continues along the lines of his other books in that it causes the reader to think about things from a different perspective, I really enjoyed the philosophical aspects of the storyline. As always, a very enjoyable read.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by NetGalley*
Fantasy disguised as science fiction

I was looking forward to reading this book as I had enjoyed previous Modesitt books. But I threw in the towel at around third of the way through the book. There was no character development, little action, and overly described scenes. This is a fantasy story cloaked as science fiction by calling a mystical power quantum shadowing. I didn’t hate the book. I didn’t find anything in what I read offensive or objectionable. I just found that I was unmotivated to turn to the next page and asked myself why I was continuing to read as the book was giving me very little.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book via Netgalley for review purposes.
A truly engrossing and wonderful novel, as expected.  As always, I curled up and quickly forgot about the world around me.  My husband actually snatched my phone away so I would eat dinner.
Corvyn is a powerful being, an independent conscience and policeman protecting a world called Heaven. The ten major human religions each have their own land governed by a Hegemon, sometimes a god or a prophet of a god.

Some unknown power burns the image of a trident into Corvyns home and he tours the ten countries on a detective mission to find out which entity is behind that Menetekel. He's lived through apocalypses in the past and fears that another one is dooming.

Despite the author's enormously prolific, I never read anything from him and wanted to get a standalone entry before digging into his Saga of Recluse or one of his other well-known series.

I found it extremely difficult to get into a reading flow which I never achieved throughout the book. Usually, literary SF like Gene Wolfe or Harlan Ellison is no challenge for me, but in this case the prose was overwrought at times. Every of the ten towns follows a similar pattern with an explicit description of the chosen hotel, a longer treatise of chosing a meal and ordering wine followed by magical eavesdropping of the other guests before going to sleep and visiting the power of the town on the next day.

Corvyn exploits considerable magic power with his shadow weaving, allowing him to travel through shadows, forging financial transactions and using it in his fights. He is an interesting character - intelligent in his philosophical discussions, outstanding in his taste, even cool with travelling his electromotor-bike. But I was never able to really connect to him and understood his motives only very late.

Modesitt tries an interesting mixture of far future SF with some Quantum technologies, adding magic abilities and mythical gods. It was never successful and I didn't highlight any insights. After a while I nearly didn't care for this routine of dialectics anymore.

The last few chapters pulled up the action lever and in comparison felt rushed and unorganic.

In summary, I found the novel not very convincing, it didn't grip me at all, and I can't recommend it.
Quantum Shadows by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I wanted to like this more than I did. I've never read anything else by Modesitt but I admit to seeing and thinking I OUGHT to have been reading the books.

So when I did see a new release in Netgalley, I fully jumped on the bandwagon.

What did I find?

A rough-going opening that was more concerned with term-wrangling and a detective game of trying to get a grip on character and what kind of tale this was going to be. When I finally realized that we were dealing with *fairly* normal story bones underneath philosophical, mythological, and especially religious (or meta-religious) settings, I eased into the story and enjoyed the interesting action and mystery aspects.

Getting there, however, made me feel like we were playing catch-up with a big nod to some other big SF names, but put on a particular Modesitt spin. ... So what do I mean? ... I get the feeling like we're stepping into a hard-SF godlike story that blends neatly into multi-religious meta-comparisons with walking embodiments everywhere.

In one way, I love this kind of thing. In another, it REALLY has to be done well or I feel kinda cheated.

I get the feeling like a number of devoted readers, probably fans, are going to get into this book in a really big way. I personally didn't feel the weight of the things that came before, though, so most of it was lost on me.

I didn't get hooked, but I saw some potential. I'm wondering if I ought to have started ANYWHERE else, first.
Quantum Shadows By L. E. Modesitt, Jr
Modesitt is a philosopher.  He likes to explore decision making and reality checks.   This book does a snapshot of the world’s religions and beliefs and suggests a solution for equilibrium.
I enjoy Modesitt’s work but I admit I read more for entertainment and enjoyment than enlightenment.  He frequently imbues his books with philosophic overtones but this was with a philosophic book with literary overtones.
If you are a Modesitt fan, you should read this.  If you aren’t, this book won’t make you a fan unless you hold a degree in philosophy.