Cover Image: The Resurrection of Fulgencio Ramirez

The Resurrection of Fulgencio Ramirez

I was excited to reach for Ruiz's novel as a highlighted new Latinx release on Goodreads. And, indeed, what a beautiful tale of love, rejection, class and passage of time in Mexico and the US.

While I don't usually reach for books with ANY kind of fantasy or magical realism elements, this one hit it out of the park. In this novel, our main character Fulgencio Ramirez attempts to win back the love of Carolina Mendelssohn - the love of his life from thirty years ago whose husband has just died. Fulgencio and Carolina come from very different social classes and are separated by a border, literal and metaphorical, which is another theme thoroughly examined in this novel. The writing is vivid and imaginative in a way that managed to transport me straight to La Frontera.

In addition to the fascinatic magical tale, while I was reading with my eyeballs, I had the chsance to listen to the audiobook simultaneously. Narration in the audiobook version is truly brilliant. I loved how the narrator was able to accentuate the right moments and bring raw emotions to life.

Fantastic.

*Thank you to the Publisher for a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Fulgencio Ramirez starts off as an ambitious teen who sets his sights on two things: he wants to be a pharmacist, and he wants to marry Carolina Mendelssohn. Fulgencio is talented at everything he sets his mind to, but he has a family curse holding him back. Ruiz creates an elaborate picture of Fulgencio and Carolina, and of the place they live on the border of the United States and Mexico. The language used is beautiful, Ruiz masterfully balances the language and culture of both sides of the border, and it's rounded out with a meaningful message. However, the plot is slow to start, and the narrative is oddly paced. The family curse is mentioned frequently, but it isn't actually addressed until two-thirds of the way into the book. Then, the effort to get rid of the curse, which is the most exciting part of the novel, is brief. This novel has a lot of potential, but is in need of a lot more balance.
If I had to describe The Resurrection of Fulgencio Ramirez in one word I would say Wonderful.  It is a wonderful book full of wisdom, love, growth, magic, and ghosts.  The story follows Fulgencio through his life, the mistakes he has made, and the regrets he has.  I will say that Fulgencio is not always a character you will like, many times I found him rude, overbearing, violent, and just plain crazy.  He is truly stalker material.  However, the story is about his resurrection, so we have to witness his negative traits so we can see how he changes.  The characters are great, I loved them all, especially the ghosts.  The setting was perfect, everything was very well written. I highly recommend this book, it really has everything.
I hadn’t read much magical realism since I graduated, so reading this story was a wild rollercoaster of nostalgia, especially tied in with all the shifts between Spanish and English that laced through the novel. Everything about the story was blended so well together, you didn’t quite grasp the shifts, and I loved that because it really felt like the reader knew Fulgencio, because this is what he saw, this is what he felt. Perhaps my favorite part of the story was Fulgencio’s passion—it was something that never went away, and it seemed to bleed out of the pages. It’s definitely the kind of story I would recommend for someone just dipping their toes into the world of magical realism, and it’s certainly one that they would remember.
While I found this story humorous and interesting, there were parts that were hard to get through. I was anxious to know the fate of Flugencio and Carolina. The author included many zany characters and situations. This story reminded me of the plot of a Mexican t.v. novela. Throughout the novel, readers will find many cultural and religious aspects embedded into the characters lives. Overall, a satisfying read.
The description is clear to state the writing follows magical realism, but it' an interesting thing to actually read it. It has a good way of bringing forth the real feelings of someone who is a minority, who is poorer than others and wants to strive for a better life and rise out and be like something else. Very interesting read.
"A work of magical realism, The Resurrection of Fulgencio Ramirez weaves together the past and present as Fulgencio strives to succeed in America, break a mystical family curse, and win back Carolina’s love after their doomed youthful romance."

What a delightful story! The author weaves an interesting, emotional and visual story. I enjoyed the vivid imagery and characterizations which brought to life the world of Fulgencio Ramirez set in la Frontera as he pursues the love of his life, loses her, and is reunited after decades.

The story begins in 1986 when Fulgencio reads the obituaries and finds his arch-enemy Miguel, who married his sweetheart, has died: "His hands quivered as the paper slipped from his fingers, floating like a parachute towards his feet. No picture. No excuses. No glory. Just twenty-two letters sitting on the floor of the funereal drugstore. His glasses cracked when they fell on the tile."

We return to 1956 when Fulgencio and Caroline meet: "....they both stood up straight, and his hazel eyes met her golden irises, her full lips parted like the Red Sea for Moses, and the words that fell from her grace caressed him like countless feathers over bare skin."

The rest of the novel is the quest to win Caroline's love again and the mystery of Fulgencio's 'maldición (curse). When the characters meet again: "The shared knowledge-about la maldición as well as Miguel's conspiracy-cleared the lingering fog of suspicion and confusion which had long tormented them both, enabling them to cut a path through the overgrown weeds of their love's trajectory, toward a closer understanding."

The use of bilingual terms was smooth and added to the imagery but the italics are a distraction (a matter of style). An error that needs correction is the term 'mini-skirts' in the second chapter. I don't believe this was the fashion on the Frontera in the 1950s.

This well-paced story of romance, mystery, and magical realism is a great read. The author writes so well I will seek out his other works.
This book is an amazing, bilingual with everything you could want from a story; love, action, mystery and great characters. The magical realism in the book is woven in so well it's very easy to believe and adds a little something extra to the story. The constant crossing between Mexico and the US is poetic in so many way and there are comparisons between the two cultures dotted throughout. I loved the characters Fulgencio and Carolina. I loved that Fulgencio took responsibility for his actions, despite the curse that he could have easily blamed his actions on. Carolina also is a strong character, who constantly stands up for herself and will speak out. Their journey is nothing short of epic.

This book is fantastic! I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an epic story of love and loss that spans decades.
i would say, as of now, this will be one of septembers best releases. this story made me feel so much and i loved each character.
So Fulgencio starts to live again the day that the husband of the woman he loves dies. Yes, the story comes with magical realism. It is well written but I didn’t like the main character, Fulgencio, fully, because... well, because I didn’t.

So the story goes back to show how the couple met and the stupidity that separated them. Yes, it was something so stupid that I figured it out as soon as they broke up, and I was just further upset when I confirmed it later on. I mean... come on!

There are ghost that talk to Fulgencio which reminded me of Isabel Allende’s “La casa de los espíritus. And the love story (about second chances) reminded me of “Love in the time of cholera” but with a younger couple.

There is also some type of curse that Fulgencio needs to brake.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.
In the 1950s, tensions remain high in the border town of La Frontera. Penny loafers and sneakers clash with boots and huaraches. Bowling shirts and leather jackets compete with guayaberas. Convertibles fend with motorcycles. Yet amidst the discord, young love blooms at first sight between Fulgencio Ramirez, the son of impoverished immigrants, and Carolina Mendelssohn, the local pharmacist's daughter. But as they'll soon find out, their bonds will be undone by a force more powerful than they could have known.

Thirty years after their first fateful encounter, Fulgencio Ramirez, RPh, is conducting his daily ritual of reading the local obituaries in his cramped pharmacy office. After nearly a quarter of a century of waiting, Fulgencio sees the news he's been hoping for: his nemesis, the husband of Carolina Mendelssohn, has died.- Goodreads

This book was fantastic. I can't say that the characters themselves are memorable but the story is written so well that the way they are is just fine.

Fulgenico as well as Carolina are very surface level characters. There isn't anything too deep about them. Its Fulgenico's magical ancestry that keeps this book going and brings everything together. This book is detailed without sounding long winded and I loved the fact that the Spanish language is prominent in this novel. The author doesn't shy away from his culture and its history and I love it. It makes for an extremely rich story.

Everything is about Fulgenico and Carolina. The story revolves around their relationship from its beginning to its end. There are a lot of side stories and bring everything together. But what sold me on the book was the last few chapters.  It was perfect.

Overall, this seemingly complex story is written fairly straight forward but really rich in culture and history.  As I previously mentioned the book is fantastic but if you are not one for history and culture with a sprinkle of romance, this book is not for you.

3.5 Pickles