Cover Image: Wow, No Thank You.

Wow, No Thank You.

This collection of essays was that good that immediately after finishing this I went back and read all of the author's backlist titles - all of them.
I read 3 of Samatha Irby's books in 2 days and each and everyone was a 5 STAR read.
The author is funny, sassy, self depreciating and yet she is confident and knows her own worth. She is real and honest and a lot of the time gross.
I laughed so much while reading this book, full-body shaking audible snorting laughter.
She covers every topic imaginable and yet manages to do it in such a humorous yet very real way.
I cannot get enough of her and will remain forever hopeful that we will one day become best friends.
Side note: the audiobooks are also brilliant

I did get this book from Netgalley for review but did go out and purchase a copy for myself (and all of her other books)
Sharp and funny, scatological and sweary, these slices of life from Samantha Irby made me alternately laugh out loud and wince...

This quote, about "self care" absolutely cracked me up - to the extent I've forced other people to read it, so why should you escape...

"I got a manicure a few days ago, which is a thing I rarely do because - we're all friends here - I don't give a fuck. But I was going to a party that night and you know how parties are, just a bunch of people standing around in sequined clothes scouring the room to make sure one another's cuticles are pushed the fuck back."

Witty as hell and also the Queen of TMI, it feels like she hold nothing - and I mean nothing - back.

Whip smart and hilarious and real - a tremendously entertaining and all-too-human book.
I had high expectations for this and I was a little disappointed.

The essays made me laugh a few times but they all felt the same in tone and there were a lot of repetitive phrases that didn't seem natural, like not part of how she would speak, but deliberately trying to be funny and falling short, or just random words strung together like ramen eating skateboarding granny (I made that one up, it's not in the book...

I think occasionally she could go deeper and try to say something real rather than make us laugh.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I wanted to read this book as soon as I read the title. The cute wabbit on the front seduced me as well. I’m so glad I got to read this delightful book as it cheered me up. Things have been a bit intense for the world recently, and this treat really lifted my mood. I laughed more than I have in ages. I’d never heard of Irby before. This is clearly my loss. This is a fresh, funny book and completely relevant to our modern world. This is a collection of essays containing wise nuggets. There is sarcasm here and a slight malicious tone which delighted me. I loved this.
Why yes please Samantha Irby.  I haven't laughed this hard reading a book in a long time.  I think Irby just might be my spirit animal.  Hilarious and topical, I'm pushing this hard onto my fellow 30-something girlfriends because damn I want to talk about this book with my ladies ('Girls Gone Mild"! 'Body Negativity'! 'A Guide to Simple Home Repairs'! All gems!!).  Highly recommended.
Thanks to Faber and Faber and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'll be honest, I didn't take to this book straight away. I read about 15%, thought "meh" and decided I would come back to it when I was feeling a bit more in the zone to read these kind of introspective essays.

Well am I ever glad I did. I hadn't heard of Samantha Irby before reading this book which is clearly my loss. This book is really funny, not in a haw haw haw laugh out loud way, but in the kind of way in which you cringe inwardly and are glad it wasn't you while your toes curl in delight. I suppose it's a bit like a non malicious kind of Schadenfreude? If that sounds appealing to you then read this.

Samantha writes on various subjects ranging from food, illness, family, friends, and relationships and relates  he course her life which has lead her from Chicago to living as one half of a lesbian couple on a farm in Kalamazoo, Michigan. She has been through some truly awful experiences and hardships yet often manages to turn them into something hilarious. We get an insight into her relationships and views on the world and as a bonus there's lots of chat about food too. It's not all fun and games and she does discuss serious issues too but with her own unique perspective.

This isn't going to be for everyone but if you like this kind of humour you wont go far wrong with this book. I've already put her previous book Meaty to the top of my To Read list.
Just a joy of a book, it feels like every page there's humour spilling out. The prose takes you into places so well described you can almost smell the coffee and vividly see the environment. In a time of COVID, this is a treat at a horrible time.
A collection of laugh out loud funy, touching, entertaining, and emotional essays. Bonus, the audio version is narrated by the author herself! Thank you to NetGalley and Faber for the opportunity to review an advanced copy
Went in expecting laughs but instead found someone who was rather vulgar and utterly patronizing and condescending and who seemed to completely lack kindness towards her fellow human. Sadly, could not connect and it was a DNF as I just couldn't keep being exposed to her condescension and holier-than-thou attitude
Samantha Irby is back again with new essays featuring sex, bodily fluids, marriage, and more.

I just adore Samantha Irby and her voice so I was excited to see a brand-new book by her featuring another cute animal, this time an adorable bunny that just had me reach out and want to hug it. Of course I had to pre-order it so I could read it whenever Amazon decided to send it to me.

In this one we have a whole lot of new essays to read. Featuring marriage (and hilarious questions and Irby's answers but also talk about her wife and children), bodily fluids (but we all know that she writes about that a lot), how to publish a book/get a show (which was very much fun to read and I laughed), about your body (and how much effort you really have to do to get it perfect), cats and dogs, going partying, about her past. And there is more. There were a few parts that had me cringing (some of the sex parts especially those about anal and then there was the period chapter). But there were also parts that were relatable and tons of parts that had me giggling and laughing.

I am glad that we saw some more of her life with her wife and the kids. We read so much about herself and her past and what she does and it makes me happy we see another important part in her life. Hope this makes sense, sorry, really tired but still want to write reviews.

I skipped one chapter after 3 pages and that was the Sure, Sex is great chapter. Which just got annoying and boring after 3 pages. Not to mention that I just forgot what the previous sentence was.

There was just one thing that was a bit of a shame, and that was that the book felt really slow and at times I just got a bit bored, normally I get through a book this size in a few hours, but now it took several sessions and also some motivational Netflix to get through it. I still very much enjoyed reading the book but I am just sad that I had a hard time getting through it.

But all in all, I would recommend this book to all and I cannot wait what Samantha Irby will write about next.
A great collection of essays. Really interesting.
Thank you to both NetGalley and publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review
Dear Samantha, please can we be friends in real life. Yeah, I'm in the UK, and you're in the US. And yeah, you will probably cause my dormant Diet Coke addiction to relive heady days not since 1998, but please consider me as a friend (for life).

I hadn't heard of Samantha until I saw an article on the Guardian's website and I was intrigued. I am super glad that I got the chance to read this because I absolutely loved this book. From the off, I found myself laughing out loud at Samantha's love of stuff! So refreshing in our Marie Kondo'd minimalism times. Next came attitude to (not) going out, lifehack manicures etc. A great collection of essays. I enjoyed this so much that I've bought the audiobook to hear the words again but narrated by the author!

Haven't laughed this much since I can't remember when...

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Thank you so much the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary electronic copy in return for an honest review.
Wow, Samantha Irby, you are one hilarious writer! It was brilliant to get lost in the pages of, Wow No Thank You over this period of isolation, I emerged feeling a lot less lonely. Goodness, what a voice! Thank you!
I loved We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Irby so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Wow, No Thank You and it was just as good as I’d hoped! Samantha Irby is an American comedian who writes about her life, pop culture and pretty much anything else in such a direct and often hilarious manner. She doesn’t hold anything back and says the things we often think but don’t put into words due to self consciousness or other concerns. She talks about her life, her relationships and her body with an acerbic and humorous wit that makes you basically just want to be her friend.

I especially appreciate reading about Irby’s chronic health issues because it’s something similar to what I have to deal and often struggle with. It is rare to hear certain topics like some health conditions discussed in such a funny and honest way which brings a sense of commonality and comfort. However, even when the essay subject is something I can’t directly relate to like marriage or getting closer to being 40, it doesn’t make that essay any less relatable and enjoyable to read. I laughed out loud so many times which is really needed in these very difficult times for everyone. If you are looking for a book to take you out of the depressing news at the moment and just make you snort with laughter then I hugely recommend Wow, No Thank You! Plus – that rabbit on the cover may be one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen!
If you loved We Are Never Meeting In Real Life, then I'm almost certain you'll love this too. If you're new to Irby, her brand of personal essays makes for comical escapist reading in these weird times we're living through. The focus of the essays in this collection is, again, similar to that in WANMIRL - married life, life as someone who struggles to function as an adult (can relate) and being a socially awkward introverted person (can relate more often than I'd like to admit). This book won't be for everyone and is better consumed in small doses (as much as I enjoyed it the themes do get pretty repetitive and read more akin to blog posts than actual essays), but brightened my mood throughout the time it took to finish.
Read this, and momentarily forget you're in quarantine! I cannot think of a better book to read in this crazy time. Irby is hilarious; even her diarrhea stories are delightful.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for providing this perfect distraction in exchange for honest feedback.
I wanted and expected to absolutely love this book. There are some very sharp funny observations on life and some parts of this book that I adored but a lot of this book just felt flat for me. Fun to dip in and out of but I wouldn't read again.
Life from your 20s to your 40s. Quite different, right?

Through a series of essays, Samantha Irby gets real on how her life changed from twenty-something to being seriously close to the barrier of 40s. Hilarious, but at the same time honest, Irby gives us her own take on how life changes while you grow up; from minor things to bigger and more important ones. And is it all bad? No, not at all!

But what actually makes this book different from straightforward biographies is the humor, and a personal style that makes you feel connected to what Irby has experienced - and not only for people who are nearing their fortieth year, either.

So, if there's one nonfiction book to read in 2020, please make it Wow, No Thank you. You'll thank me later!
Memoirs and essays are always really difficult to review, because I think how much you enjoy them is very dependant upon how much you relate to the person writing them. I loved We Are Meeting In Real Life, and Wow, No Thank You, is similar in both style and tone. Samantha is very funny, and all of the stories in this new collection are told with her trademark wit. There were lots of laugh out loud moments (and I am very rarely a laugh out loud person). However, I didn't think it was quite as funny as her previous collection, but still very much worth your time.
Bestselling author Samantha Irby is entering her 40's and looking at how life has changed. This book is a series of essays reflecting on her life so far and the things she no longer feels the need to do to impress people. It's a funny, quick and light read. I read this in just under a day but its the ideal kind of book to pick up and put down again as the chapters read like standalone articles. Very enjoyable.