Cover Image: The Young Survivors

The Young Survivors

I enjoyed this moving historical novel - a Holocaust survival story of 5 Jewish children after their parent are abducted. The story is fiction but based on a true story of the author's mother.

It is beautifully written. The characters are well-written, realistic and relateable. I cant say that it was an enjoyable read, but it was a worthwhile read.

I certainly recommend it.

Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for sending me this ARC.
This book was kindly gifted to me via Netgalley as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book.  I'm always drawn to WWII books and I liked that this one was from a different perspective., that being children from France. Many books I've read about the war and survivors, haven't really been about what was happening in neighboring countries and how Hitler's reign was affected by Jews in other countries. It was eye opening. It also hit a different chord once I read the acknowledgements and realized that this story was based on the true story of the authors mother.

So, why only 3 stars? I just didn't feel like poignant character developments. I wish there was a a bit more of me invested into them. I wanted to know more about Pierre's story and the struggles that ensued. That being said, the narrative was written very lovely and I enjoyed that each child had their own chapters and perspectives.

Thanks agin for the ARC
The Laskowski children, during the Second World War, have to endure the painful fate that comes with being Jews. With their parents arrested, they have to go their separate ways for a chance at survival. Until the war is over and with the hope of being one day reunited.

Even if we study at school about the Holocaust and we have watched, probably, hundreds of movies about it, I still can’t shake the dreadful feelings I feel when reading the survivors testimonies.. this book based on the author’s mother story is heartbreaking. Those innocent kids having to endure so much pain and experiencing such a traumatising fate.. and when everything is over they are left with the grief of loosing their loved ones, at the expenses of a group of fanatics.. honestly it just upsets me!
Anyway the story was wonderfully written, from the point of views of the 5 kids. While reading is palpable the pain and grief they experience during the war and the hope of being reunited with their family once everything is over. Thanks to the many testimonies, everything is super detailed and accurate.

If you enjoyed reading the tattooist of Auschwitz or the boy in the striped pyjamas then give this book a go!
I received The Young Survivors ebook as an ARC from Netgalley & Duckworth Books. It is written by Debra Barnes. This is her debut novel. The book is fiction, but inspired by her mother’s experience of losing her twin sister at the age of six as well as her parents. Her mother was a French Jewish child in an orphanage during WWII.

The Young Survivors is a story of the Laskowski Family. The Laskowski’s are Jewish living in France at the onset of WWII. The parents are abducted, one after the other, by the Germans.  The five children are left to fend for themselves.

The book is written from the narrative of three of the children alternating in chapters. The writing style is quick and easy to read being that it comes from the perspective of the children. What makes this book unique is that it’s focus is on children of France who were also Jewish. It’s important to know about the many who silently fought to keep the children safe and based on that, I would recommend this book.
I absolutely love this story. Or I love it as much as you can love a tale of heartache and despair. You cannot help but grow fond of the characters so they are going through literal hell. With every new turn of events you root for them despite knowing the odds are against them. A story of love, pain and survival. I have never had a book tear apart my heart the way The Young Survivors did.
Definitely one of my outstanding reads this year! A harrowing, brutal look at the fates of a family of Jewish Germans and their treatment during the Nazi era. Tearing apart the family, the children are separated and basically cared for during the intervening years, not knowing if their parents or siblings are alive or dead. A true tribute to the human spirit and the urge to go on living, no matter what happens. Recommended.
I cannot devour these types of books fast enough lately. I didn’t use to be a historical fan, but all books dealing with WW2 and the deplorable treatment of innocent men, women, and children strike at my heart. How strong these children must have been. I cannot even imagine. I will always be grateful for the true stories that these people find it in their hearts to tell. The past will live on by educating those who learn from it.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley.
This was a beautifully written and articulate true story about the young survivors who survived the terrible time they had during the war
Thanks net galley and Debra Barnes for allowing me to read this, and each time I hear about the survivors of this terrible war you cannot but think they only survived with the help of people who were not Jewish, just very brave.l
A Jewish family living a good life in Poland. They were all very happy until one day they heard that the Germans were coming to separately of the Jews and send them away.
This book is about courage and resilience.
This book is different from other Holocaust survivor books because it shows the role that France had in helping the Jewish children escape.
I could not put it down. I really liked the characters.
The Young Survivors by Debra Barnes is a marvellous historical debut novel. It is completely absorbing and I could not put it down.
The novel is grounded in fact as it is based on the author’s mother’s wartime experiences. It is a tribute to the indomitable human spirit and to the six million who perished in the holocaust.
Set between 1938-1945 in France the story follows the plight of a Jewish family. There are some truly heart-breaking scenes to read. The five siblings have a strong bond and love for each other. Along the way they meet the very good and the completely evil. The youngsters are so brave, even the youngest twins who were born in 1938.
Debra Barnes is clearly a talented author and I look forward to more by her.
Being hated for merely the circumstances of being born Jewish is horrendous. This quote sums it all up. I found it extremely powerful and absolutely heart-breaking:
“We had no idea what it meant to be Jewish except it meant the Germans and many of the French hated us.”
I received this book for free. A favourable review was not required and all views expressed are my own.
An absolutely beautiful, yet haunting book.  Based on the author's own mother's story this book tells of five siblings and their journey through WWII.  It's very difficult to imagine adults during this time, let alone children.  And for these children to have survived so long without their parents is amazing.  The author did a wonderful job of telling their stories without being maudlin and yet making you feel attached to these children.  Beautiful job!
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher and voluntarily chose to review it.
Resilient Children in Harrowing Circumstances

What a heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting, story! It is made even more poignant knowing that it is based on the story of the author's mother as a young child during the Holocaust and WWII. I'm so glad that she has told her mother's story; we need stories like this to remind us of the past so that we can all have a better future by not repeating atrocities. This is a book that lives up to the term “unputdownable,” one given to many books but rarely merited. It follows the story of five Jewish siblings whose world is upended and shattered when all the adults in their lives are taken away to concentration camps. So the oldest brother, who is only in his mid-teens, takes care of his four younger siblings as best he can, including four-year-old twin girls. The things they see and experience are heartbreaking. The book is told in the alternating viewpoints of the children, and I liked the insights the different children gave into what was happening with them. They go through so much, but you truly get a sense of the resilience these children have,  doing the best they can to survive in a frightening world that IS out to get them. It's a story that certainly evokes a variety of emotions as you read it, and you can't help but continue to think about the book after you've finished it. I so love historical fiction that is based in reality, especially the real lives of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. This is just one of those books. Highly recommended.
This book "The Young Survivors"  is one of the best books written about a family during the Holocaust that I have read in a long time! It is the story of the family of Polish decent living in Metz when the story begins.
The author has put together a very good story telling, which keeps you want to continue reading it. Storys that took place during WW II were very dramtic and often so barbaric that, it became scary and quite horrible.
Here Debra Barnes tells us with genuine and loveable characters their family story, the theme about how the war became a part of their lives. Lives that would be changed forever. During the story which will take us from present time and back to the past, she weaves it in very nicely. The awareness and how the family was split up, leaving behind several children. How dramatic their lives turned out to be and how the oldest child is doing his best to keep together his siblings. We also get to follow how the years shortly before the war were and then during the war. How life turned badly and got worse, still there was the daily fight to find the parents, survive the days, months and years. How at the same time there were those who really went out of their way to help save the Jewish children and people, resisting as best they could. Reading the book was as if you were there living through their hardships and also finding out more about the horrible things all those people had to go through. We follow the children that did come out of this and that did have the hope of a second chance in their lives, even if a lot of the family members didn't  make it back. The read was emotional and I can really recommend this read! I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to read this book! My thanks to the author and publisher! Charlotte N
The innocence
The Laskowskis were content living in Metz France 🇫🇷, (very close to the Maginot line). In 1938, brothers Pierre, Claude and Samuel, visited their mom in the hospital to welcome the newest members of their family, twins Georgette and Henriette on the day of their birth. At this same time, the family knew the invasion of France by #Germany 🇩🇪 was inevitable.

While some members of the extended Laskowski family left France for England and America, Mr. Laskowski, Albert (father), chose to remain in France. When war is declared, the Laskowskis are forced to leave Metz. Then the Laskowski parents are arrested, and, Pierre, at 14 yo, (& the eldest of the 5 children), is suddenly in charge of his siblings, the twin girls are barely even toddlers. The children struggle to stay together in spite of the war which is pulling the family apart at its seams.

Author Debra Barnes’ mother’s life story served as her inspiration to write this fictional tale. Growing up, Debra’s mother avoided talking about the war, in fact the subject was taboo. This all changed in 2006, when her mother’s picture (as a young girl during the war), appeared on the cover of a book, written by another survivor. This inspired conversations that ultimately led Debra Barnes to write this fictional novel based on her mother’s story. Now she also helps other survivors write books telling their war stories.

I really enjoyed reading #theyoungsurvivors by @debra_author. I give it #5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. Thank you @NetGalley for the digital copy of the book in return for my honest review.

@duck_books #metz #condenorthern #sarry #drancy #louveciennes #poitiers #beaulieusurdordogne #vichy #milice
I was given an ARC of this book for a review but that last few months have been crazy and I finally got to the book a couple of days ago. I thought I would read a few chapters one afternoon but once I got started I stayed up the whole night reading. I Had to know what happened to each child.

The book tells the story of the five Laskowski children and their family in France during World War II. The book is told by the various children as their experiences varied so widely. Separated from their parents and all other adult family members, they are left to survive on their own..They had to be constantly on the move and always watchful. The help and kindness of the many French people who helped them along the way was astounding. The survivors could not have lived but for the help of so many people all over France from organizations to individuals.

I cannot recommend this book enough but give yourself plenty of time because you will not be able to put it down!

Thank you for the reminder from the publisher to check out this book!
This is a fiction story based on the true story of the surviving of Debra Barnes Jewish mother of occupied France during WWII.  This is written from the Laskowski children’s perspective as both parents and other close family members were arrested by the Nazi’s early in the war.  Pierre, Samuel, and twins Georgette and Henriette.

Amazing read detailing the experiences, and hardships of the children taking care of each other after all adults have been removed and the hard decisions that must be made for the care of each of the children.  The struggles and tenacity of finding the survivors of the family  and then again making hard decisions to ensure the well-being of each member to ensure the best health and well-being of all.

Thank you Duckworth Books and NetGalley for this book for an honest review.
#Netgalley #DuckworthBooks
I have really been into historical fiction lately and this book was amazing.  It is obvious that the author knows a lot about the time period, as the descriptions of the Holocaust were vivid.  The choices that the siblings in this story had to make were heartbreaking at times.  It was interesting to know that this story is based on the author's mother's experience during the war.
This book was written from the viewpoint of the younger Jewish family members caught up in in WW2 based in France.  Unlike others books in this genre it was written in the style where it follows the story while the families were surviving from outside the camps not inside
It was well written and I read it quickly, getting attached to the main characters and absorbed in what they had to deal with to survive.  It has loyalty and bravery running through it.
 Thanks to #NetGalley for the advance copy
What if everyone you loved was suddenly taken away?

I have been on a light, happy rom-com kick lately, but I just picked up a historical fiction and was reminded why I have always been drawn to them.

The Young Survivors is out today so you can all fall in love too. Once you're in love your heart will be torn out, squoze, and slowly put back together. I have read many WWII novels, but not many are told in the eyes of children. This is the true story of five siblings and their struggles as Jews during WWII. It's heartbreaking in it's rawness.

This is such a beautiful novel. If you like reading about WWII it's one for you. If you like books that sit with you after and make you think, this one is for you. If you want to learn how good you have life, this one is for you. Well done.
Amazing story!
It is not often you read about the children during the Holocaust and what happened to them. This story was so well written. I was so immersed in this story I didn’t want to put it down(; I wanted to know that the children were okay and what would happen to them next.