Cover Image: The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife

The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife

Sherlock, Sherry…. Like mother like son…

‘Mother had always taught me a detachedmind produced better results’.

I love my Sherlock, in almost all of his reincarnations. I love him Dr Watson’s love – from the sidelines, observing, allowing for his peculiarities and loving his brilliance.

But this book – being 1st ever case in Sherlock Holmes’ long career as detective – made me fall in love with Sherlock again. This story shows him as… human.

He is a teenage boy who loves his parents and his brother, his home and his county. Sherlock is the boy who does not like Eaton and its rules and traditions but strives to make his parents proud and to get their approval.

This story while suspensful and intriguing, is warm and tender, cosy and encouraging. It is as much about family relationships and dynamic, human connection and trust as it is about finding out whodunit.

Sherlock’s relationship with his mother is central to this story and to his development as human and as detective. His mother is the one he gets his deductive traits from. She is the one to teach him and lead by example. Sherlock is to learn from her the sharp angles of gender relationships and soft curtains of marrital interactions.

Sherlock makes his parents proud. He even gets his brother reluctant approval. Sherry loves deducting so much he wants to do it again if only for the sake of staying away from Eaton and staying close to his parents.

A very interesting angle to Sherlock Holmes.
The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife is the first installment of the early case files of Sherlock Holmes. Here we are introduced to a teenage Sherlock (around 13-14 years old) who has just started out at Eton College and is finding it difficult to adjust there. A few weeks haven't gone by when both he and his brother Mycroft (who is a student at Oxford) are called back to Underbyrne, their ancestral home by their father who is a justice of the peace of the village where they reside. Reason: Mrs. Holmes has been accused of murdering one of the village's midwife, Mrs. Brown whose body was found in the garden of the estate and has been arrested and placed in gaol. The Holmes family are certain of her innocence but it is another matter altogether proving it, since the village constable is hell bent on making sure she gets punished for the crime.

These early case files could help us towards understanding Sherlock Holmes and to the person and famous detective he eventually becomes. In this book itself, we are introduced to some elements and traits that make up a big part of the adult Sherlock in the future like his talent for boxing, violin playing and deducing his surroundings for clues that are easily overlooked by others. The entire family is a well educated and intelligent lot but it is interesting to see that Sherlock shares a much closer bond with his mother, in both physical resemblance and intellectual interests while Mycroft somewhat takes after the father. Another character worth mentioning is Constance Straton, a young, poor girl, the same age as Sherlock, who takes to stealing and pickpocketing to help feed her younger siblings. Sherlock is impressed with her skills and even though they belong to the different strata of society, it doesn't stop them from becoming friends and helping each other out.

My only complaint would be that the chapters were too long. There were only 14 chapters but the length of each chapter made me sometimes feel that I wasn't really moving ahead. I wouldn't mind the chapters being more in number but of shorter length but then that's my preference.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publishers BooksGoSocial and the author for the e-Arc of the book.

Rating: 3.5*
A mildly entertaining story of a young Sherlock Holmes, whom is summoned home from school since his mother has been arrested for the alleged murder of the local midwife.  We are introduced to the early days of a young Sherlock as he sets out to solve the murder and prove his mother's innocence.  A valiant attempt by the author to try and capture the essential elements of Sherlock Holmes.  I encourage readers to follow this author, as I will.

I want to thank Net Galley for this advance copy and this is my honest review.
Sherlock has only been at Eton one term when he is recalled home to Underbyrne. Mycroft as well returns reluctantly from his third year studies at Oxford. Why? because their mother has been charged with the murder of a Mrs Emma Brown, the village midwife. Although Mrs Homes found the body in their garden it was not until Mr Brown insisted that Sergeant Gibbon arrest her was she taken to jail.
With the help of his Uncle Ernest Parker, and girl, Constance Straton, a poor neighbour, can Sherlock solve the crime, aided by his reliance on scientific proof as instructed by Mrs Holmes.
A well-written historical murder mystery with its very likeable characters. A very good solid start to the series.
An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by Leise Sherwood-Fabre is the first in the Early Case Files of Sherlock Holmes. Let it be said that I love Sherlock Holmes' spinoffs. The Murder Midwife is about a much younger Sherlock, 12-14 years of age, without a fully developed personality. His mother, according to this author, was instrumental in developing his skills of observation and deduction. We see the inception of his future avocation very clearly in this book, albeit, in part his aversion to boarding school. His mother has been arrested for murder and both he and Mycroft have been called home for their schools. Of course, Mother was not a killer and he, Sherlock, would prove it.

The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife was a mystery but more importantly it was a puzzle and was treated as such by the author. Simply using Sherlock's name does not make it a Holmes' story. It was enjoyable to see the familial relationships that caused Holmes to develop into the man he became. His parents were lovers and well as parents and apparently, Sherlock had been too young to notice before, or the circumstances were not right. Mycroft was well on his way to becoming the adult that would influence much of Holmes' adult life. Interestingly, one does not think of Sherlock Holmes as a youth. This was a terrific book. Filled to the brim with murders, cleverly solved by Sherlock and his mother, always using observation and deduction. Kudos to Sherwood-Fabre for a book well written. I recommend it.

I was invited to preview an ARC of The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions and interpretations contained herein are solely my own. #netgalley #theadventureofthemurderedmidwife
Having read most Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories I was interested to see how Liese Sherwood-Fabre was going to deal with Sherlock Holmes.  Having watched on TV some of the more modern version of which I’m not too fond of, I was hoping she would stick to the original time period.  Liese did a great job in bringing to us the feel of the time period for England.  We get to know Sherlock as a young teenager.  He is no longer a child but not yet a man.  Looking for the approval from parents and older brother but you can see the beginnings of Sherlock and the man he will become.  His mother is a delightful person and his father is very much on keeping up appearances that are part of his social standing.  Mycroft the older brother and a university student wants to become more part of the changes that are about to happen.  Through it all you can feel the love between the family members.  And of course in order to keep the mother out of prison there are a couple of murders that need to be solved. I'm looking forward to seeing another book in this series.
Young Sherlock Holmes had the inquisitiveness, the curiosity and the same hormones coming to life like any boy his age, his brother on the other is the one with the stuffy attitude. Now his mom she had the scientific mind and the sleuthing genes and I love how she went about solving the murder on their property, with the help of her brother and young Sherlock of course. Her husband on the other hand proved to be a big pain in the you know what, hurting her the way he did but good sense prevailed when death came knocking on their doors once again. Sherlock was determined to find the answers to all that was puzzling about the case.  An amusing entertaining and darn right engaging read.
An interesting story of Sherlock Holmes as a young man sent home from school as his mother has been arrested for killing the local midwife in the Holmes garden. Sherlock is already learning his ability to make deductions from what he finds during his investigation. I enjoyed getting to know the family as well as being able to picture Sherlock with his help in getting his mother released and finding the true murderer. A story I think will be enjoyed by any who like a good Sherlock Holmes mystery.
Well done! This novel is narrated in the first-person by a 13 year old that we have all come to know and love, Sherlock Holmes. He is home from Eton, because his mother has been found guilty of a crime that she has not committed. I love that it begins with a young teenage Sherlock Holmes and his surly older brother Mycroft, Mycroft is always surly, and it's up to a young Sherlock, whose mother lovingly calls him Sherry, to help provide his mother's innocence.

There are many things that work extremely well in this book. I find that the author did a wonderful job holding true to the complicated essence of the relationship between brothers Mycroft and Sherlock, even rabid fans of Conan Doyle's books will quickly see that Sherlock's sharp logical mind appears even at a very very young age. The mystery wasn't as strong as it could have been, then again the author is not Conan Doyle. It was however very enjoyable. I recommend this book for fans of Sherlock Holmes and of the genre. It looks to be volume one in a series, so I'm sure as the series progresses, the storylines will increase as the author gains confidence and falls into the world of her making.

I would like to thank Liese Sherwood-Fabre, BooksGoSocial & Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book.

An excellent story and well told. Not really a Sherlock fan but found this fascinating.
A fun read and page-turner! 4.5 stars

This is the first time that I read a book by this author Liese Sherwood-Fabre. What a beautiful surprise! I really enjoyed 'The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife'! She nicely blended the character young Sherlock Holmes at the age of 13. Fans of Sherlock Holmes with love it!

The story starts as young Sherlock is recalled home to the family estate Underbyrne for an emergency, where he joins again with his older brother Mycroft, his mother and father. A scandal stirs the Holmes family. When the village midwife is found murdered in their garden and his mother is accused and sent to jail, Sherlock with the aid of his uncle Ernest, will start their own investigation and his first case. Can Sherlock and Ernest find the murdered and free Violette from jail?

I wish to thank Little Elm Press and NetGalley for providing me an ecopy of this book in exchange for my own honest review.
Aged 13 Sherlock is taken out of Eaton because his mother is accused of murdering the town midwife. Sherlock’s mother has complete trust he will find the evidence to exonerate her. Towns-women seem to end up dead and Sherlock has to find out what’s going on.

TheAdventure of the Murdered Midwife (The Early Case Files of Sherlock Homes #1) by LieseSherwood-Fabre is the first installment in The Early Case Files of Sherlock Holmes and is the story about Sherlock Holmes as a young boy trying to find out why the town midwife was found dead in the Holmes’ back garden and why Sherlock’s mother is imprisoned for it.

The story seems to be based on Sherlock’s childhood memories of what happened. As the original Sherlock Holmes stories were written from 1887 onwards, it might set this story roughly in the beginning of the 1870s at the family estate Underbyrne. Sherlock is brought up as the son of a country squire with a lot of focus on manners and maintaining his family’s status. This seems to influence his decisions a lot.

Elements of Sherlock’s home life seem to explain his skills as an adult. His brother, parents and uncle are all well educated and impressively skilled people interested in research and investigation. In this story Sherlock’s mother, Mrs. Holmes, is in the center of the plot as she is suspected of using her knowledge of herbs for criminal activity.

Main character Sherlock Holmes is 13 in this story. It’s amusing how he gets into the habit of using a spy glass to investigate and starts to wear his special cap, which is actually part of his hunting outfit. He is brought up to “not be seen or heard” when adults talk. I worried throughout the story that this might hold him back when investigating, but he found a way to make it work.

Secondary character Constance Straton is a very poor, but gutsy, pickpocket with serious survival skills. I find it both sad and impressive what she has to do to provide food for her young siblings. She is a nice girl at heart and, in my opinion, a well crafted character and my favorite of this story.

The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by LieseSherwood-Fabre included description of an interesting way to prove Mrs. Holmes’ innocence without the forensics we rely on today. Some seriously gory details was included, but my favorite part of the story nonetheless

I enjoyed TheAdventure of the Murdered Midwife by LieseSherwood-Fabre. I found the plot interesting and exciting. The clues were carefully placed throughout the story and from today’s perspective I found the motive for murder absolutely mind boggling. Exiting to see what other adventures Sherlock Holmes might get up in LieseSherwood-Fabre’s next story.

Readers of crime fiction would enjoy The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by Liese Sherwood-Fabre. Other authors to explore might be Leonard Goldberg or Charles Veley.

Thank you to the publisher Little Elm Press and NetGally for the opportunity to share my honest review of The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by Liese Sherwood-Fabre. All opinions are completely my own.
I’m not the biggest Sherlock Holmes fan in the world, so I can’t precisely judge how Adventure of the Murdered Midwife fits with other works. Even so, I know that any author who dares to use Conan-Doyles’ famed detective must tread lightly. It’s too easy to go astray. Make him too modern and lose authenticity. Keep him too faithful to the original and be, well, completely unoriginal oneself.

But Liese Sherwood-Fabre knows how to walk that tightrope. (I keep wanting to spell her last name SherLOCK-Fabre!) Here, she imagines Sherlock as a young adolescent, not yet fully aware of his own potential. As she does so, she creates a winning, fascinating character who won my respect and sympathy.

Even at 13, Sherlock possesses an analytic mind and a keen eye for details that most people overlook. He’s a detective, even at that young age, and his mother recognizes that he has the ability to snoop around without raising suspicions.

Yet he’s also 13, that awkward age when one is part child and part hormonal teen. When he arrives home from Eton, he often seems lonely when he’s with his seemingly-distant father and intelligent brother. Throw in his first crush on a girl and a prank from Mycroft about human reproduction, and Sherlock begins an awkward sexual awakening that feels innocent and realistic. Throughout the novel, he begins to see the differences in societal gender roles, and his own privilege as a male.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the dynamics of the Holmes family. Sherlock’s relationship with his mother feels genuine; Violette Holmes won my sympathy almost immediately. Mycroft is Mycroft: cunning, intelligent, and ambitious. Sherlock’s eccentric uncle Ernest, who suffers from PTSD, lives on the Holmes property. He’s his nephew’s ally . . . when he isn’t busy refining a new weapon he swears the army can use.

Sherwood-Fabre does an excellent job developing the relationships between these complicated and oh-so-real characters. There is love here, but that love is threatened, not only by the accusations of murder and real possibility of execution, but by each person’s secrets.

The central mystery of the book doesn’t feel as compelling as it could. I’m not sure why. Perhaps it’s because Sherlock doesn’t really know the murdered midwife. His real desire is to clear the Holmes name by finding the real murderer. It is a legitimate motive, but I never felt any urgency about it. Also, the killer’s motive fell flat for me, despite the author’s best efforts to make it compelling. That was a bit disappointing.

The climatic showdown between the killer and the future detective was exciting, though. It was fun to see how young Sherlock outwits the killer.

However, the writing quality is outstanding. Sherwood-Fabre knows how to create vivid scenes. They feel pitch-perfect in the historical details but simultaneously feeling modern.

Overall, this is a solid work to add to the canon of Sherlock Holmes fiction. I recommend it to any Sherlock fans, as well as historical mystery readers.

4 1/2 stars, rounded up to 5.

Thanks to Little Elm Press and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Note: This will appear on my blog on June 29, 2020
The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife is narrated in the first person by a young teenager we know as Sherlock Holmes. If an author takes another author's beloved character to make a spin-off, is that considered a ding in creativity? The jury is still out, in my opinion. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just doesn't.

In the case of this book, the story starts with Sherlock, a young teenager, studying at the prestigious Eton College when he learns that his mother has been accused of murdering the village midwife. Holmes and his brother Mycroft return home, and it's now up to young Holmes, to help prove his mother's innocence.

Some things worked well in this book. Sherwood-Fabre captured the beautiful, witty essence of Sherlock Holmes and his complicated relationship with his brother Mycroft. Fans of Conan Doyle's books will quickly recognize Holmes's sharp, logical mind even at a young age. The mystery, however, left much to be desired. The story starts strong, and somehow the mystery becomes too predictable, and the ending fails to yield the sort of excitement you get with Doyle's books.

I still recommend this book for both fans of Sherlock Holmes and fans of this genre. This book is volume one in a series, so there is hope that the stories will develop more with future books

The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife is scheduled to be published on June 30th, 2020. I want to thank BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Fabre’s book is a fantastic addition to the crime fiction that reimagines the life of Sherlock Holmes. In this case Fabre offers a compelling story about Holmes as a young man who is faced with murder and crime within the space of his home and family. The writing is crisp and evocative and expands the world of Sherlock Holmes in a manner befitting Doyle’s original literary output.
Wasn't sure I l would like this book, but it was pretty good.  Imaginative and got to actually see a younger Sherlock Holmes.
This was very well done. I enjoyed the dynamic between Sherlock and his mother, and the way his mother worked with and against the mores of her time to serve the women in her community. Would love to have more books focused on her! Would have loved more character development with Sherlock's father and brother. Overall a very solid re-casting of the Holmes crew, with several fresh and interesting dynamics. Can't wait to read more from this author. 4 stars on goodreads.
There are certain fictional characters who capture readers’ imaginations and hearts to such an extent that they long outlive their creator and original format. This is certainly true of Sherlock Holmes who has inspired countless adaptations and revamps. It seems that we just can’t get enough of The World’s Greatest Detective and are happy for new authors to bring fresh twists to the tales.

In this new series Liese Sherwood-Fabre takes us back to Sherlock’s formative years. Sherry (as he is affectionately called by his family) has recently started attending Eton where he has failed to fit in or settle down successfully. As much as he doesn’t really want to be there he is distressed to receive a sudden summons to return home; something sinister has happened but no one will explain. He fears that his mother is gravely ill and is sick with worry until he can pry the real story out of his older brother Mycroft. Their mother is healthy - but sitting in jail accused of a terrible crime. This is how Sherlock is drawn into his very first murder case; with help from the whole formidable Holmes clan and a light-fingered accomplice.

This book is really well-written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s light and engaging, the perfect read during lockdown. The mystery was clever and I really liked the interaction between the different members of the family, Holmes’ fans have met Mycroft before but it was nice to be properly introduced to his parents and uncle Ernest. Constance is an appealing character too, I hope that she will return for future adventures.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publishers for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
First time I've read this author and I really enjoyed this book. I will be looking forward to finding the others in this series. I like the young Sherlock and his mother. I was able to figure out who did it, just not why.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Young Sherlock Holmes known to his family as Sherry, gets his start as a detective. Readers that have any read any of the Sherlock Holmes series of books, will get insight into his family and into Sherlock, right down to the deerstalker hat.  This was a wonderful and charming book. The author knows how to handle a beloved and well well known character and leave the readers wanting more of young Sherlock. I am looking forward to the next book and learning more of Sherry's early life.