Cover Image: Party of Two

Party of Two

Thank you Netgalley for a chance to read this book!

It totally reminded me of the rom-come from the 90’s where boy falls for girl, girl falls for boy, they are in love, they fight, and make up!

But it all works for this story- I wanted a little bit more from the relationship of Max and Olivia and reading on my Kindle I realized they didn’t have their first real fight until almost the end of the book- and then it felt a little rushed. But overall, the story was very cute and I LOVE how much cake he bought Olivia!!
Party of Two is far and away my favorite book of Jasmine Guillory’s! With strong, well-developed characters, witty dialogue, and a relevant political backdrop, Guillory has crafted one of the best romances of the 2020 summer season!

Olivia Monroe is a successful lawyer who recently moved to L.A. to start her own law firm. She meets Max at a hotel bar one night, they have a flirty encounter and only afterwards does she realize that he’s California’s all-star junior senator! The two begin a relationship in secret, but will their love last once they go public?

As someone who studied Politically Science in college, I absolutely love it when an author weaves politics tastefully into a storyline, especially now, when politics are such a critical part of daily life. I love how realistic this plot and the characters are. Olivia is a strong, successful woman, and she’s also a pragmatist. We understand her inner conflict with pursuing a relationship with Max, because of course there are drawbacks to having a romance in the public eye. I like that Max is a character who understands his privilege as a white man, knows he has made bad mistakes in the past, and has resolved to do better, and do what he can to make the world a more equal place. I like that they resolve to strive to change in ways that make them both better people, for each other. And I love Olivia’s love of food/especially desserts. Like I said: relatable.

Guillory’s latest romance is a refreshing take on a relationship in a political world. It is real, sexy, and smart. A perfect beach read.
The writing in this book is very well grounded, with great dialogue and a great blend of some humor, and plenty of depth and drama.
Loved this one!! Read it almost entirely in one day. Possibly my second favorite of the series, after The Wedding Party. As usual, Guillory writes romantic relationships between two career-minded individuals so well, and there's PLENTY of food involved. Nom nom. Yes, it does involve politics (as one of the main characters is a politician), but it's so fun, it can still be the "escapist read" you need leading up to November 2020. Enjoy!
Synopsis: Having recently moved to LA from NYC to start her own law firm with her best friend, Olivia Monroe has no time or interest in dating right now. But when she meets a gorgeous and charming man at the hotel bar where they spend the evening flirting, she can’t help but feel a little bit interested. That is until she realizes this gorgeous man just happens to be Senator Max Powell. Olivia has no interest in dating a politician, but then a delicious cake arrives at her office with the cutest message.

Olivia and Max begin dating secretly but when they finally go public with their relationship, neither Max nor Olivia are prepared for the intense media, paparazzi, or Olivia’s rocky past coming back to haunt her. Scrutinized by her looks, job, and past, Olivia is finding out that she is not a trophy girlfriend, nor does she want to be. But what Olivia and Max have is something special, now it’s up to them to decide if it’s worth fighting for or not.

Review: I love Jasmine Guillory and will read anything she writes. It’s refreshing how she writes about real people and real relationships, biracial couples, and people of color. When I saw that she was releasing a new book, Party of Two, I just had to preorder it so I could get it as soon as possible. I didn’t even want to wait for the library copy, I wanted my very own.

Jasmine loves to write about strong female characters who don’t need to be saved by a man. All of her characters are beautiful, smart women, with amazing careers and goals. It’s not surprising that her characters would be such kick-ass women, Jasmine herself is a graduate of Wellesley College and Stanford Law School – yup, Stanford.Law.School. Damn!

With all of that said, this book fell a little flat for me. I know I am one of the few who felt this way, other reviews are just seriously raving about this book, so much so that I can’t help but wonder if I somehow missed something. Olivia is a fantastic character but unfortunately, Max is a bit dull and Olivia overshadowed him. The storyline was kind of meh. I liked the premise of it and it was a fun read being around the Fourth of July, and also a great look into what a Senator’s life is like. I’m not sure exactly what it’s missing, but there was just something there that didn’t push it over the edge to the next level.

“But you know, I only rush into the big things when I know to my core that they’re right. I know to my core that you’re right for me, Olivia Monroe.”
― Jasmine Guillory, Party of Two

Overall, I did like this book, it just wasn’t my favorite, especially compared to Jasmine’s other books. I loved all the food in it though – seriously, there was so much food talk! I swear every scene talks about food, Olivia and Max were always eating, which left me always feeling hungry.
Such a great series, these books put a smile on my face!I love the writing and the characters are lovable!Olivia and Max, are very cute together. It was light, charming,fun and sexy.It's fast paced and I loved most of it!I just didn't felt myself invested to the story 100%, I think it lucked a little bit in the emotional part.However, it's a great read!
Guillory writes complex characters with real world problems that I think everyone can relate to. Her women are strong and independent. They aren’t your typical romance trope where they need a man to save them. The men are in their lives because they can compliment their life not make them. I like that the women in Jasmine’s books have their lives together. This book is no different, Olivia knows what she wants and is going after it.

I also love that Guillory’s characters have real conversations. They actually talk to each other. They communicate! Well mostly, you have to have a little miscommunication in romance to create a story arc.

Also if you are looking for steam, Guillory brings the steam.  This book is definitely open door. So if open door is not your jam this book may not be for you.

My favorite part of this book just may be all the cake talk. Can someone send me cake from all of my favorite NOLA bakery’s!? Cough, Cough, Barry!

Thank you @jasminepics for all the steam, the independent women and the real relationships.
I have loved every single book in this series and Party of Two is no exception.
Olivia has moved back to California to start her own law firm with the help of her best friend. While staying in a hotel, she meets Max and they have a great conversation about the importance of deserts. When they run into each other again, she learns that Max is a senator. Max can't stop thinking about Olivia after he meets her in that bar, but Olivia is nervous about the fallout that can come from her dating a senator.
I really enjoyed this book. Jasmine Guillory creates characters you can't help but love. The chemistry between Olivia and Max is fantastic. We get to see snippets of characters featured in other books which is always fun.
I can't wait to find out who is going to be the main character of the next book.
Another Guillory success! I've enjoyed all of the books in the Wedding Date series, and this one has to go in my top 3. Her romances are very realistic, with characters who have believable flaws.

Although the book never dives too far into politics, I liked the spin that the famous person is a politician rather than a rock star or an actor as is usually seen in books like these. It's a completely different type of celebrity that comes with its own challenges. I enjoyed that far more than dealing with fan girls and press tours gone awry.

I also liked that Max was so enthusiastic. It broke the mold for leading men - he wasn't evasive, trying to hold back, or afraid of his emotions. He was the one pushing the relationship forward and couldn't help but blurt out what he was thinking at any given moment. It was quite refreshing to read!

You can't go wrong with Jasmine Guillory. I don't have a bad thing to say about this book!
Loved the newest book from Jasmine Guillory- We've seen some of Olivia in the other stories and I loved getting her story.  The chemistry was off the charts and now i am craving pie haha
I am a huge Jasmine Guillory fan so I was pumped for the next installation with all of my favorite characters. I really loved the idea of this novel but I had the hardest time with Olivia. I thought her character was a little irritating and constantly sabotaging her own relationship. Once I was able to understand her character a little more, I did get into the story but it took some time. By the end of the novel I was flipping the pages faster and faster and truly cheering for Olivia and Max. I loved this story but wish the pacing at the beginning of the novel would have matched the end. Thank you Netgalley for sending this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Party of Two - Jasmine Guillory | 320p. @prhinternational #partner
🇺🇸
Olivia é uma mulher negra e bem sucedida que está iniciando uma nova etapa em sua vida. Sair de Nova York e de uma grande firma para abrir seu próprio escritório de advocacia em Los Angeles com sua melhor amiga foi uma decisão arriscada, mas que pareceu certa. Em uma noite no bar do hotel onde está hospedada enquanto sua casa não fica pronta, Olivia conhece Max, um cara charmoso e tão apaixonado por doces quanto ela. Eles deixaram uma impressão um no outro que não sentiam há anos. O problema é que ao chegar ao quarto, Olivia reconhece o cara do bar na televisão, Max na verdade é o senador Max Powell. Duas semanas depois a advogada linda e com quem teve um breve encontro em mim bar de hotel não sai da cabeça de Max, quando ele a vê em um evento não vai deixá-la escapar de novo.
Essa foi a minha primeira experiência com a escrita da autora e posso dizer que fiquei surpresa e satisfeita. Com persongens mais maduros e um romance bem construído, Jasmine Guillory nos faz torcer para Max conseguir derrubar todas as barreiras de Olivia.
Olivia é aquela mocinha cuja vida é altamente satisfatória, ela está começando um novo negócio e tudo que não precisa é de um homem para complicar as coisas. Ao conhecer Max, logo a advogada acredita que ele só quer diversão e tudo que ela quer é dar isso a ele.
Max, todavia, é um emocionado! Logo que ela dá uma chance para ele, logo o senador já faz questão de conquistá-la. Ele quer um relacionamento sério e faz de tudo para conseguir.
Infelizmente o livro ainda não chegou ao Brasil, mas eu espero que logo seja lançado por aqui! Alô editoras brasileiras!
Having read all of Jasmine Guillory’s books until this point, unfortunately I found this title disappointing. I was not drawn into the love story as I was with her other books, I found it rather flat and lifeless. Max and Olivia’s problems are predictable and easy to overcome, and it was difficult to root for them. I will continue to read her future works, but hope they will be an improvement on this title.
Olivia Monroe has just moved to Los Angeles to start her own law firm with her friend. She’s excited for this new chapter in her life—and she’s not looking for any distractions. While staying at a hotel her first week in town, she meets a man at the bar who is so impossibly gorgeous and so clearly a player that she’s not even a little intimidated by him. (Isn’t it weirdly true that when a guy is so “not an option,” it’s easy to just be yourself?) Olivia enjoys the playful banter with Max and then moves on. Imagine her surprise when she sees him later that day…on TV. Apparently he’s none other than hotshot junior Senator Max Powell.

The two begin to run into each other more often, since they know people in the same circles. Their friendship grows stronger—and then turns into something more. Olivia has her reservations, though. She likes Max, but she has her own life to focus on. And it’s not easy dating someone who is constantly surrounded by press. Olivia doesn’t exactly have a crystal clear past, and as long-buried secrets threaten to emerge, she wonders if her relationship with Max is worth it.

MY THOUGHTS
Party of Two is the last book in this five-part series from Jasmine Guillory, and, in my opinion, it’s her strongest yet. It’s grownup, smart. Like Guillory’s other books, the story still relies heavily on a lot of back and forth dialogue—which does get tedious when eeeeevery little thought and feeling is expressed. But for the most part the book moves along nicely.

And I really love Olivia and Max. They have great chemistry and good heads on their shoulders. They’re both intelligent, thoughtful people, just trying to do right by each other. I can stand behind that. Party of Two isn’t mind-blowing, but it’s a fun way to pass an afternoon.
I am a huge fan of Jasmine Guillory's books, and Party of Two is no exception.

Dating is the last thing on Olivia Monroe’s mind when she moves to LA to start her own law firm. But when she meets a gorgeous man at a hotel bar and they spend the entire night flirting, she discovers too late that he is none other than hotshot junior senator Max Powell. Olivia has zero interest in dating a politician, but when a cake arrives at her office with the cutest message, she can’t resist—it is chocolate cake, after all.

Olivia and Max must navigate the minefield that is today's celebrity spotlight, if they are to have any chance of making this relationship work.  Is she ready to have that spotlight shine on her if she publicly dates a US Senator?  Or will she shield her heart to protect her privacy?  Highly recommended romance.
I struggled with whether I really liked this story. I enjoyed reading about another character from this series but I found that Olivia was at times very insecure and really just not looking for a boyfriend. Max was the typical male not understanding how women may feel and the ending seemed rushed to get him to change his ways.
Everytime Jasmine Guillory releases a new book it is better than the last one! I was so invested in Max and Olivia's story! I really liked there characters and I like the authentic growth between the two of them that happened throughout the novel. I can't wait to read the next book that Jasmine Guillory puts out!
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
I love everything that Jasmine writes. Her books are utter perfect. Amazing characters, story lines and fully engaging. Couldn't put it down. And this cover is so beautiful. 10/10 recommend
I enjoyed the book but I liked the other books in the series more. I'm not sure if it was that the story line wasn't as compelling or if I wasn't as drawn to the main characters, especially the male. And the the conflict created by something the male did seemed out of character. at the end.
This book was a swoon-worthy, fun-filled delight!

I loved the fact that they are dating each other in a secret relationship at the beginning of the movie. It was so cute! It was fun to be in the fun with them as they tried to see each other as much as possible while living their professional lives separately. And Jasmine is so good at making you feel how much the characters WANT each other and desire just as they are.

I really enjoyed how much they cared for each other, how they maintained their independence, and eventually made it work together.

The crux of their issue is the media’s reaction to Mr. perfect white senator dating a Black woman professional. And how each of them reacts to that pressure and exposure. It felt like everything was justified in their emotions and reactions to the situations. And I LOVED how he made amends at the end, meeting her and showing her that he knew exactly who she was and what she needed.

McDreamy to McSteamy: McDreamy