Cover Image: Heired Lines

Heired Lines

Heired Lines was nothing that I expected. I was expecting Lord Gavin to be a giant kind of a jerk who then had to get his head out of his rump to win the girl, but that is not at all what we got. Heired Lines was a slow burn beautifully done story.

Natalie has graduated from college and is struggling. Her mom is recovering from cancer treatments and the bills from the hospital and college are piling up. When someone contacts her about a job to work and look at old artifacts she jumps at the chance to pay her family's overflowing pile of bills. When she gets there she doesn't expect Lord Gavin to be so sexy and sweet. The more time they spend together the more she struggles to remember she's only there for a job.

Lord Gavin needed someone to help him organize the stuff in his late aunts' house for the historical society. Finding Natalie was a gift he didn't truly realize he was getting until he sets eyes on her and realizes how sweet she is. His family wants him to marry someone of royal breeding, but all he can think about is Natalie.

Heired Lines was a fabulous read. I loved reading about then tension between Gavin and Natalie and how each interaction both brought them closer and pushed them away from each other. Simply fabulous. The writing, characters, and pacing were simply amazing and I can't wait to read more from this author.
I just couldn't connect with the characters or the story. I love Magan Vernon, but this one didn't hit the mark. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for providing me an arc.
What a fun story! I was so entertained by Natalie. I love her quirkinesses and her history rants. I love that she is just a wholesome woman who never backed down and who was herself the entire story. The way that these two interact was fun to read. You could feel the chemistry right from the start. Gavin....swoon! Lord Gavin was a solid sexy character. I loved how he thought he could control his thoughts. But once he starts to feel more.....we get one beautiful happily ever after.

Side characters who you love! Side characters who you want to throat punch. We get everything we love in a romance and more in this book. I enjoyed everything about it.

Highly recommended.

*I was given a free advanced copy of this book by NetGally n exchange for my honest and voluntary review. All thoughts and opinions in this review are those of my own.*
Heired Lines might have been my first book by Magan but I’m floored at her attention to detail. I felt like I was right there while reading. Gavin and Natalie’s story was fun, sexy, and flawless. Why is it that English men are so full of themselves or is it just men of privileged. It always takes a woman not from there class to show them how life and relationships should be.
Hmm... So good things first right?
1. It is a light, cute slow burn romance.

2. The female lead is no shrinking violet, which I like.

3. The story is written from the perspectives of both the romantic leads... Male and female here. I just love to see the "does she/ doesn't she" anguish of the male lead, compared to wishful sighs of the female.

4. There are some good spurts of banter between the leads

5. There are puppies

Now, the not so good:
1. Well, if you've read a lot of Mills & Boon or Harlequin romances, you can divine the ending the moment the girl meets the boy in this one.

2. The male lead is not really a Royal (though titled he is) nor a pain in the ass, frankly. I don't mind either ways, but I don't understand why it was the strapline though.

3. Cringy clichés: If you had a shot every time you spot the phrase " he/she let out a breath, he/she didn't know he/she was holding", you'dbe pleasantly drunk. (Hint: There are 5, I counted!)

4. More clichés: Words like bugger/bollocks/bloody etc. to push forth the idea that the bloke is actually British.

5. I take exception to certain phrases (again clichés, but NOT cute) like "I was sounding like a whiny little girl" and "I was sounding like a little girl"... From the male lead. What does that even mean?

I can probably go on and on being picky, but you get the gist.

Final verdict:
Did I dislike it? No.
Do I regret reading it? Not really.
Would I recommend it? Well, if you have nothing spectacular to read, go for it.
If nothing else,  it is a light hearted escape. 3/5
The story of Gavin and Natalie. he is an English Lord and she is has just finished college in America. She is employed by him to curate the collection left to him by his great Aunt Sarah at the estate he has inherited.

She needs to get the job done; ignore her crush on him and get the money to pay her mums medical bills - but that is easier said than done.

His family start to interfere, but will he let them stand between them?

A good read
This is an ARC review. All opinions are solely my own.

Heired Lines by Magan Vernon is a slow burn romance that could be made into a Hallmark movie. This is mostly a clean romance with a small hint of hotness. It does not make the story any less endearing. As someone who is obsessed with historical artifacts and royal families this book really delivered.

Natalie is the newly graduated antiques curator and Lord Gavin has a manor that is a former hoarder's dream. Lord Gavin makes Natalie an offer she can't refuse. From the moment Natalie arrives in England, slapstick hilarity ensues. The awkward moments just keep piling up for Natalie.

The most negative thing I can say about this book is that the cover model does not match the actual hero in the book. It's not horrible but several times in the book Natalie mentions Lord Gavin's golden blonde hair. This model has brown hair with blonde highlights.  I don't even know why I noticed this detail.
“Heired Lines“ by Magan Vernon is a cute and quintessential forbidden romance between “Lord Gavin of Wembley“ and the curator, an average American girl, named Natalie.  This is a quick and endearing read with a classic ending.

Blurb:  Natalie is hard up for money, so when a mysterious man emails her about a job as a curator at his estate, she jumps at the chance to earn some extra income.

Natalie soon finds out that the mysterious man is nobility and the owner of a grand Castle.  Even though Gavin and Natalie try to fight off their emotions, the two can’t stop themselves from constantly trying to find each other.

The characters were likable and I really enjoyed hearing about the grandness of the estate, but I had a hard time getting through the first half of this story.  It’s a slow burn romance with repetitive emotions being described.  The last few chapters picked up the pace, but their were a few inconsistencies in the writing.  Overall, a cute piece of fiction, but I wouldn’t recommend it to others.
Cute story by a new author to me. Gavin and Natalie’s story was a super super slow burn but the humorous undertones to the book made it enjoyable. Gavin mainly kept his distance cause he knew that her being a commoner there wasn’t any hope and if he ever forgot he was reminded over and over again.
I absolutely loved this book! It's the best contemporary romance I have read in a while. Both main characters are amazing. I loved how they met and the chemistry between them is off the charts. This is one of those slow burn kind of stories that I just love reading.
Gavin hires an American curator to take care of his estate but what he didn't anticipate is to fall for the said employee. His family is no ordinary family and there are certain expectations that come with his title. He should know better than to fall in love with an American. What kind of a mess is he going to create for them both?
Natalie is a historian who is having a hard time finding a job. So when a guy asks her to fly to another country to work, she says yes. Frankly, she needs the money and this seems like an ideal job. She loves history and curating for an English lord sound like a dream come true. What she didn't sign up, is the family drama and the hunk of a guy she is now having a hard time resisting. Can she do her job and fly back home, keeping her heart intact or is she going to be in real trouble?
All in all, Heired Lines is a delightful read, and I recommend it to all book lovers. I hope you enjoy this fun, romantic story as much as I did.
Hot British nobility...check, young American spitfire...check, a bunch of cute and adorable puppies living their best life on the castle grounds...check.  This book had all of these things along with a great romance to boot.  I can not say enough great things about this book!  This was the slow burn I never realized I needed.  We first meet Natalie as she is working her way through flea markets trying to find a rare gem to sell on her eBay page in order to help pay down her mother's medical bills.  Little does she know when she posts a rare vase that a noble Lord from across the pond would respond challenging her history and knowledge about the place this vase is from, Webley.  The Lord, Gavin Webley, is looking for a curator to come in and catalog the vast amount of antiques that his Great Aunt Sarah had collected.  Little does he know that this spit fire from America would be there to not only work on the castle but also his heart.

This was such a slow burn I found myself screaming at my IPad for Gavin to just kiss Natalie already that when it finally happened I was cheering for them in the best way.  The way Natalie held her own not only with Gavin but also with the rest of his family had me smiling from ear to ear and cheering her on.  I really hope Megan decides to give Hugh and Cecily stories as well.  I would love to see them get their HEA's as well as be able to catch up on what is going on with the Lord and Lady of Weble (and of course Ponce too).

Thank you to netgalley and Entangled Publishing for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my honest review.  .
Natalie buys antiques at garage sales and flea markets and then sells them on Ebay. One antique catches Lord Gavin’s eye and he ends up hiring Natalie to go through his late aunt’s belongings for the historical society in Webley, England. Of course while working together, they start getting closer.

It was a little slow starting out. I got more into it about 40% in and then I was hooked for the rest of the story. Based on the synopsis from Goodreads, I expected Gavin to be more of a jerk and a hate-to-love romance. It’s a lot more tame then I expected. I still liked it though. At the end there is a line from the movie 10 Things I Hate About You, so I was super confused whether this was supposed to be inspired by that because I did not see the inspiration or she just thought it was a good line.

I received this ARC from Netgalley and Entangled Publishing for my honest feedback.
Heired Lines was an okay book, but I think I was expecting more from it based on the blurb. It was a very slow burn, and that burn wasn’t exactly sizzling for me. Gavin blew hot and cold, Natalie had a backbone but she spent much of the book looking down at her feet or her hair curtained her face. That was mentioned often. Neither was the firecracker that Gavin’s brother Hugh was.
My other issue was, pick a name for the male anatomy and stick with it! And please, although it’s a “royal” story, don’t use “member”! It’s not a historical romance.
Heired Lines was a quick read, but it’s not going be a book I remember in a week. It’s not a bad book, it’s just not for this reader.

My thanks to Netgalley for the advance copy; my review is honestly and freely given
With a masters’s in history, there is no denying that Natalie Reeder loves history. It is with her knowledge that she is able to spot items that might be valuable and that’s exactly what she finds at a flea market. When Natalie posts the item up for sale on eBay, she quickly gets an email from a rather pushy person wanting to know more about the item and her qualifications. This would lead to them exchanging emails and to her surprise he offers her a job. A temporary summer position as his curator to help clean out his family’s estate in Webley, England.

If there is something that she has always wanted to do is to personally experience all the history that she has been studying for so long. So she takes the leap of faith she has been dying to do and accepts. Little did she know that by working for Gavin Webley would her life forever.

I enjoyed the overall concept of the story, it was interesting and the chemistry between the characters was off the charts. It’s clear from the very beginning that their is a sexual chemistry between them, but Natalie has to remind herself that she works for Gavin and there can’t be anything else between them. As the two start to get to know more about each other and about his family’s history, there are obstacles that they both must conquer if they truly want a future together. I found myself liking Gavin, he is kind and protective over Natalie. On the other hand, Natalie has caring and smart personality. The town itself was interesting and how it’s important to Gavin’s family. I do wish the author could have added more details towards the end of the story, it felt a bit rushed for me. All in all, if you love a quick romance with some royal history involved than I would highly recommend checking out Heired Lines.
2.5/5 stars

I requested this book the minute I read the description. I’m always looking for new NA to read, and expected this to be comparable to RED, WHITE & ROYAL BLUE by Casey McQuiston (one of my favorite books of all time!) or a more mature version of Netflix’s A CHRISTMAS PRINCE. Unfortunately, this book was rather tawdry and did not live up to my expectations.

What I was looking forward to most was the romantic and sexual tension between the main characters. Especially since the description promised an “enemies”-to-lovers trope. But HEIRED LINES didn’t deliver. The tagline says “he’s a royal pain in the…”, but (Lord) Gavin isn’t that much of a nuisance. Sure he is “trouble,” but only because of the forbidden feelings he stirs in Natalie. Truthfully, though, Gavin never really comes off as pompous, so I couldn’t understand why Natalie is so frustrated with him—and she’s never so irritated as to “want to throw one of his precious vases at his head” like the flap/back copy suggests.

It seems HEIRED LINES is meant to be published only as an eBook at about 175 pages, give or take. Since the book is so short, the pace is rather fast—almost too fast. Don’t get me wrong, I liked how quickly I was able to read through the book. The book is slower in the beginning and picks up about halfway through, and I appreciated this balanced pacing. Yet, I still feel like there was room for more. I wouldn’t want the story to be bogged down, but I would have enjoyed the fast pace a bit more if some of key scenes were slowed down and expanded in order for me to really get to know the characters and their dynamics. To say this book is “predictable” or “surface level” would be an apt description, in my opinion.

The redeeming factor of this book is the level of detail. The story really knows how to focus in on the settings and the characters’ body language. I had an easy time imagining everything, which allowed me to become enveloped in the story. I think I was most impressed with how little bits of information (character traits, setting features, etc.) consistently appeared in the story. For example, when Natalie first arrives, she says she doesn’t need anyone to serve her food and that she’ll just make herself a PB&J. Later in the story, Natalie imagines her mother back home, in her rocking chair, “eating peanut butter and jelly so she wasn’t a burden.” I learned so much about Natalie by connecting these seemingly insignificant details! (Disclaimer: As an American, I have no idea how accurate the cultural representation is in this book.)

HEIRED LINES alternates between Natalie’s and Gavin’s points of view, so their characters are established fairly well. I particularly loved the emotion and the contrast in Gavin; one minute he’s stoic and bossy, and the next he’s sheltering puppies or cherishing his memories of deceased Aunt Sarah. However, Natalie’s narration was still more preferable to me. Not unlike Gavin’s typically blank countenance, his voice wasn’t very noticeable. Aside from sounding like a horny teenager, that is. His thoughts are so stop-and-go that it’s actually disorienting. I think the writing overall could have been more seamless. The secondary characters could have been a bit more well-rounded too, since they are either stereotypical, inconsistent, or only function as tools to further along the story.

Finally, for NA, this book wasn’t too raunchy. There are 1.5 semi-explicit, but short, sex scenes. My one complaint about the sex scenes in HEIRED LINES: “his member.” And since I am on the topic of cliché words and phrases, I got so sick of reading “I let out a breath that I didn’t know I was holding” in this book.

For the level of detail and appealing premise (and the puppies!), I would give this book a bit higher rating. However, as a whole, HEIRED LINES just felt a bit lacking. Gavin and Natalie are adorable together and I did appreciate the slow-burn romance, but I wasn’t fully invested in their relationship or the obstacles hindering their ability to get together...which is supposed to be the pinnacle of the romance genre. While this book was not for me, I still think HEIRED LINES is a cute NA contemporary romance meant for a quick escapist read.

**I will post my review on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and will update my Netgalley feedback with these links, after the title releases in May.**
A slow burn romance between the hot British royal and the American commoner, yes please!! This book was sweet and reminded me of a Lifetime or Hallmark channel movie in how it all plays out. It was definitely the book that you read when you want a pick me up!

Natalie and Gavin are two VERY different people but at their core, these opposites have so much chemistry between them that it was fun reading how everything unfolded and progressed. All in all, I really enjoyed this book and thought it has a sweet taste that readers will enjoy completely. I totally dug it- 4.5 outta 5 from me!

PS: Thank you to Magan Vernon and Wildfire Marketing Solutions for allowing me an advanced copy of the book to read and review honestly!
When Natalie's offered the job of her dreams, of course she takes it. Not only will it give her much needed money to pay down her mother's medical bills, but it will give her the opportunity live in England and work with antiquities - her passion. And she gets to stay in a castle. AND her new boss is a gorgeous Lord. Swoon!

But alas it's not to be all smooth sailing because Gavin's mother cannot have her son with a *gasp* poor American commoner, so she does her level best to keep them apart. It doesn't matter that it's obvious Natalie and Gavin have serious feelings for each other, his mother only sees her common status. Will Gavin let his mother keep them apart?

Heired Lines is such a sweet, slow burn story with a little heat, a sexy Brit (love me some British men!) and a sweet heroine. What more could you need in a good quarantine timed read?
I liked this book. The best part about this book for me was the romance and chemistry between the two main characters. I also liked the way this book was written, it kept me interested the entire time that I was reading it. The only reason this is not rated higher is that I did not like the chapters written in Gavin's (the main male character) as much, which is unfortunate. Overall, a good reading experience.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes romance.
ARC provided by Entangled Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I loved the description of the book when I requested it. I thought the location of the story was great. I loved Natalie and Gavin as a couple. The story was a bit boring and I needed more drama. It took me awhile to get into the story. The drama picked up at 70% in the book. I also thought having 30 dogs was a bit much. How can anyone give each dog the attention and love they deserve?? I enjoyed the story, but didn’t love it.
During the first half, Gavin's the one pushing Natalie away because he thought they need to remain professional. Then on the next half he said it's her who's pushing him away because of their different status. Well, I don't get it. I don't really feel their chemistry or connection between them, they don't talk enough about themselves, mostly they talk about historical stuff. I would love it if they share more about themselves with each other.

It's enjoyable enough, but I was hoping for more. I thought it was going to be more exciting. But it was a let down. The pacing and the progression of the relationships, not just Gavin and Natalie's, but also her relationship with Gavin's family was not really smooth. It was an abrupt one, I'd say.