Cover Image: Heired Lines

Heired Lines

Oh Gavin, you sexy grump. He needed Natalie to bring his playful and loving sude out. And she needed him for much more than just a paycheck! I really love this story!
This is a slow burn romance that borders on mind numbing. It is so slow and, while there are cute elements, it's lacking almost anything interesting. Usually with a slow burn romance you can still feel the growing tension, this one was lukewarm at best. The characters where likeable enough but didn't have any real draw for me.

I rarely mention editing when reading arcs because I understand that this is not the final product. However, if I have to read one more time about Natalie "flitting" from one place to the next, I'm going to lose my shit. She would just flit all over the page. Please there are more ways to move a character from one location to the next.

That being said, I started this review thinking I was going to give the book 3 bland stars. As I come to the end, i realize that I did not enjoy this story and therefore feel that this is more 1.5 stars tops.
3.5⭐

Heired Lines was a likable story and I did for the most part find it engaging to read. As the characters were pleasant, the setting interesting and the storyline relatively drama free. But there was just something about the story, the romance, and most importantly the characters that I didn't connect with, and if I'm honest, I found it a little clichéd and a bit like a Hallmark movie just with added spice. Yet, I can't deny it was sweet and easy to read, and I'm sure fans of the author will enjoy it.
4.25 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

If you are looking for a slow-burn, royalty workplace story, then this is the book for you! Natalie is this budding curator that is trying to pay for her mother's medical bills when she stumbles across a fantastic find at a flea market. After she posted the discovery online, she is contacted by Lord Gavin with a job proposal. With an offer she just could not refuse, she jumps at the chance to work with more amazing artifacts in England. Upon arriving and meeting Lord Gavin, you can feel the attraction between Lord Gavin and Natalie. As I said, this is a slow burn romance, but that does not stop the sexual tension that built up as the story progresses. I enjoyed this twist of a royalty romance. I appreciated Magan Vernon sharing with me that her muse for Lord Gavin was Armie Hammer, which enhances my enjoyment of the story just a little bit more.

Video review available in Week 17: Apr 19 – 25 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
If you don't mind jumping over a few things and letting others go than this is great. It skips over a lot of stuff and you just need to kind of accept it.
The romance is almost instant attraction and it gets hot. I enjoyed that part of the book but everything else just felt super forced.
This was a fast read, but a super slow-burn romance. Which, while I enjoy some anticipation, I like when there is some sort of physical contact between the MCs before 65% of the book is done. Which is why I did not give this a higher rating.

I found Natalie and Gavin to be enjoyable. Mostly formed, but both could have used some additional character development. A fun version of the royal/ commoner trope, with the delightful bonus of Natalie being a history buff and unabashed nerd. Also, the story line with the rescue dogs was just so sweet, and really endeared me to Gavin.

I don't really understand why Madison's boyfriend was brought up multiple times throughout. Nothing came of him, so it was unnecessary. Also, it felt like Natalie's family and their story was just dropped halfway through. I think there could have been a better conclusion there.

Overall, this was a pretty fun read. Not my favorite, but a solid take on this trope. I would definitely try another book by this author in the future.
This is a modern telling of a family of royals. It does not paint royals in a good light. It stars Lord Gavin who has inherited his aunts home and all her treasures, and Natalie a young woman from North Carolina who is a historian and also who needs money badly.

Gavin hires her to come to England and tag all his aunts treasures for the towns historical society. Gavin is seriously sweet, kind and cute and even his brother is very sweet. And the maids and employees at the estate are kind. But Gavin's mother, father, sister and assorted friends are horrible. They make the nobility in England seem pretentious and mean spirited.

This is a standalone story that takes place in England. I really liked both Natalie and Gavin. But this is also a VERY slowburn story. Only the last few chapters of the story do they even kiss. Mostly because  Gavin is Natalie's boss and he knows his family would object. While I dont typically like slowburn stories, this really worked as Gavin has all the power in this relationship and they wait until they cannot resist anymore.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. I liked this book. I found the  characters fun and Natalie is in a unusual job.  Gavin is a Lord but is pretty down to earth.  Just a nice fun read. 4 stars
Let's talk about disappointing reads. Heired Lines doesn't add anything new to the romance genre. I thought it was going to be more exciting but as soon as I started reading I knew I was in for a very fast read, but one that was not going to impress me. Heired Lines weaves the story of our American girl Natalie whose mother is sick and she is stricken with medical bills after medical bills. As a curator and historian she doesn't make a lot of money, but her main job include selling artifacts on Ebay. One day she gets a notification from a random person from Webley in regards to an artifact. However, she soon also gets offered a one in a million experience that will allow her to pay off her mom's bills, it does require her to move across the world (because this isn't weird at all).

The story continues in one of my favorite tropes of royalty vs non royal. However, the story bored me. Natalie's only trait is being intelligent in facts about history which weren't added to the story to feel anything interesting. Our Lord is bland and the love story between the two is so freaking slow. It is not one of those slow burn books where you feel the chemistry radiating through the pages. It actually bores you through it all and when they finally do kiss and the book turns romantic it happens towards the end and it is completely anti climatic.

Another aspect I didn't enjoy was the addition of the subcharacters. Lord Webley's mother hates Natalie with a passion, and that is the only aspect of characterization we get from her. Natalie's mom and sister are present through a facetime call and we never once get to experience their relationship. And the ending?? After all the hate, they simply decide to all be okay with Natalie all of a sudden and the story ends abruptly.

All in all the flow of the book wasn't for me and it disappoints me because I am a sucker for royalty books.

*I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

-- 1.5 stars --
Okay so I really wanted to read this book because I'm a sucker for royal romances, but I did not realize just how invested I would get in Gavin and Natalie's story. I really loved how the author kept going back and forth Natalie and Gavin's points of view because I found myself yelling at the characters quite often; "why can't you see she likes you?!".

I'm obsessed. I want more.
We would do anything for family. Or at least that is how Gavin and Natalie feel. When presented with an opportunity of a lifetime that could pay off a debt, Natalie will do why she has to to help her mother.

Gavin is used to being taken advantage of, being ordered around, and people using him. The feisty American he’s hired to help clean out his great aunts manor certainly is not what he’s expecting.

They are from two different worlds but that doesn’t stop the chemistry they share. Can they over come it and have a happily ever after ?
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I have played a zillion games of scrabble, done a zillion crosswords and I AM BORED!!!)

Sometimes, you’ve got to take a job with the devil to pay the bills...

Too bad I learned too late the devil wears Armani, is the most uptight man in the history of history, and I just signed an unbreakable contract shackling me to his pompous royal side for the summer. But God, he’s got this British accent that makes my panties melt.

Until the words that he says catch up with my brain and make me want to throw one of his precious vases at his head. One minute we’re fighting—and the next—we can't keep our hands off each other. Because somehow, when Mr Blue Eyes is kissing me, he makes me forget how much he annoys me. And that starts a whole new level of complications I. Don’t. Need. Cuz if you dance with the devil, someone’s gonna end up getting burned…

I am just going to say it: too formulaic, too typical, too predictable. I said that I would be honest....it just didn't delight me, or get me involved or do anything "different"! I started this book before bed and went to bed early: As a librarian, if I do not learn something new or get engaged in the characters, I make a decision: I do not truly read/finish the book (I skimmed through it) as there are too many good ones out there to read and review. That also applies to just being a lover of books --- if it isn't interesting, on to the next one!

Maybe the fact that I hate the word PANTIES should have been an indication???
Cute Story, Fast Read, Loved Zoey and Gavin "uh, I mean Lord Gavin" The characters had depth and the chemistry was great. Loved the side storyline with the dogs and the Scottish heritage. Fun, beachy read. Would read more from Magan Vernon.
FIVE STARS! Magan Vernon does it again with her swoony, funny, and sexy take on the opposites-attract royalty romance. When you've got a strong heroine and a grumpy hero who needs his shell cracking, what more could you ask for? At a time when we all need an escape, this is the perfect book to do it. Five stars, highly recommended!
Super adorable story here. A royal and a commoner, rescue dogs, and a serious love of history brought all the pieces of this story together brilliantly!

Natalie has a history degree and has only ever used it to scour flea markets and swap meets for antique pieces to sell on Ebay. She posts a vase she just found and got an email about it right away. Some snarky guy from Webley in England was giving her flak about her post. Then he offers her a job to curate an estate for him.

She flies across the pond to find that Gavin is the Lord of the Webley estate. His aunt had recently passed and left the 100 room estate full of her hoarded treasures to Gavin. He needs help getting things sorted for the historical society and Natalie is his best bet.

The chemistry between Natalie and Gavin is felt almost right away but they're determined to keep it platonic between them. But then Gavin busts through her defenses by buying scarves for her mom and adopting 11 rescue dogs on a whim because they made her smile. The rescue dogs seriously warmed my heart!

But she keeps getting warnings that they can never be anything because of his Lordship. So she swears to just get her job done and go back to America before he can worm his way any deeper into her heart. What she feels for him is more than a crush, but without the promise of a future, what is she supposed to do?
Heired Lines, is a book that I could easily see as a movie on Hallmark or BBC. I really enjoyed it. Natalie is full of so many historical facts. I could envision them.
This was pretty much your run-of-the-mill American meets Brit who is actually a Lord but it was a way more in-depth and historical aspect of the manor he lives. It was a pretty fun read except I do not love the UNC aspect (Go Duke).
This book is so much better than its cover and description! I was pleasantly surprised. I was hooked from the first chapter. Great romantic tension between the two main characters, and I’m a sucker for almost anything that takes place in England. Please change that cover though. It seriously looks like a guy in a chef’s jacket. This book deserves so much better.
Let's begin by making a list with what we had in this book:
- rich(lord in this case) & very good looking guy - check
- poor & smart & beautiful girl - check
- huge mansion/castle & 3 (not one) expensive cars
- poor girl but with big money problem. In this case mothers huge hospital bills - check
- the rich guy has a wicked mother that wants her son to marry a woman who has the same status - check
- let's not forget the ball - check
- and the main characters dance at the ball - check also
I think this is it.
No, I forgot. We had also the wicked mother that gives money to the poor girl to leave her son, the poor girl leaving without taking the money and of course the rich and very much in love (he realizes that almost at the very end) that chases after the poor girl and ofers her not only himself but his castle also - check, check & check.
Yep, so this is almost everything.
Despite all this clichés the story was not that bad. I enjoyed the writing and it felt like I was watching a Hallmark movie.
And what can I say, I love Hallmark movies 😋
This book could use with a bit more editing. There is one part where she says "I got out of the shower..... There was no point in me showering I will just get sweaty." All in the same paragraph.
It also gets so repetitive about how they shouldn't give into their feelings. Literally that is the entire book, nothing else happens. I skimmed the last 40% of the book.