Cover Image: The Seaside Cafรฉ

The Seaside Cafรฉ

๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐‘บ๐’†๐’‚๐’”๐’Š๐’…๐’† ๐‘ช๐’‚๐’‡๐’† ๐’ƒ๐’š ๐‘น๐’๐’„๐’‰๐’†๐’๐’๐’† ๐‘จ๐’๐’†๐’“๐’”
Thank you @netgalley and kensington for providing a copy! โ™ฅ๏ธ
(๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ out of 5 stars)

I did like this book. I like how the story is somehow calm and it revolves around family. I also like the background story of Coates-to-Johnson. And my favorite part was the book club, when Kayana met characters who are into books just like her plus the fact that almost all of the characters are bookworm.

However, I did not like it that all of the characters background story is miserable. I donโ€™t know about the others, but for me it became too heavy to read. I did not want to ponder on it too much because of the current situation that the world is in right now, my anxiety can get through to me if i donโ€™t distract myself or at least try to avoid things that will trigger anxieties.

Maybe if i have read this before, and not during this crisis, i would have enjoyed it more. But for now iโ€™m only giving it 3 stars. Iโ€™d still recommend this to readers who are into family stories and womenโ€™s fiction!

P.S. this book has book recommendations and recipes in it so itโ€™s a plus! Happy reading!! โœจ
I enjoyed reading this book and liked the overall story line.  The characters were great, the attention to detail was great, but the flow and the development of the story were both a tad slow.

The author never told you anything about the island itself, or why she loved it like she did.  She mentioned broad details, but not the intimate details that make you want to explore it and learn more about it.   There just seemed to be some gaps in the storyline that I would have loved her to have filled in.

Overall it was a light summer read.  Enjoy!
The Seaside Cafe by Rochelle Alers is your typical novel expected from the author. Her writing always carries a sensual and laid back feel that I have come to expect and enjoy.

The Seaside Cafe did start out a little slow, but I did enjoy the descriptive scenery given. It allowed me to settle in into what was truly a summer oasis.

While reading Seaside Cafe I felt the familiarity because it reminded me of many of Ms. Alers books and series. Some that comes to mind are: Low-Country Summer, The Inheritance series, and Sanctuary Cove series.

I enjoyed following the lives of all the characters and was truly please with the ending regarding Kayana and Graeme. This series shows that even when one chapter of life ends it doesn't means your life does. It only means that you should either start and new chapter or new book.

I look forward to seeing more of Derrick, Cherie, Leah, and Mariah. Hope to see some happiness for Rick too!!
For me the setting was perfect, an island off the coast North Carolina.   The Seaside Cafe is family owned and has been up and running for 30 years.  After her marriage disintegrated, Kayana Johnson goes back  to the cafe to help her brother.  A place where summer brings in tourists, she meets up with two other women and forms a bookclub.  Added to that is the fact that one of the customers, Graeme, becomes infatuated with her.  There were lots of ups and downs with this book, emotions flared, feelings upset, and a romance that may or may not take off.  All in all, this book as I would categorize as "chic lit" was okay.   As this is the first in the series, I would have to give it some consideration before I delve further.  My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
DNF

The premise of this book sounded incredibly promising: a beautiful setting, strong female characters and of course, the book club! But unfortunately, I didnโ€™t connect with the authors writing style which meant I didnโ€™t connect to the characters or location like I had hoped. The storyline felt rushed, but also stagnant, and the relationships werenโ€™t what I hoped theyโ€™d be.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for providing this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I thought this was an OK book.  Took a little bit to hold my interest but I loved the beach setting.  I thought the friendships seemed a bit tense at times and wish the story escalated a bit sooner (I kept waiting for it to get more interesting). Overall a good beach read about friendships!
A nice read while needing an escape. Strong characters, fun scenes, and the feel of the beach is nice while unable to go to an actual beach. A good read for escape.
I had a hard time getting into this book. It did improve about halfway through, but I had to wade through a lot of chapters that didn't hold my interest before getting to the part where the book finally got better. Overall, this was kind of disappointing. I liked the characters, but the plot didn't hold my interest very much.
Took me awhile to get into this book.  But, when I kept reading, I found myself enjoying the story line more and also the interactions between the characters.
Basically, itโ€™s a story about 3 completely different women meeting up by chance.  They decide to start to start a book club group with just the 3 of them which then gets them involved in each otherโ€™s backstory.  During their book club meetings, they learn about each other and their current problems as well as past problems.
I really enjoyed the inclusion of all the cooking going on, with the added benefit of the recipes being included in the back of the book.  I also enjoyed the love for reading aspect....
I look forward to reading the next book in the series.  I want to see where Kayana and Graemeโ€™s relationship goesโค๏ธ
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book for my honest opinion.
The Seaside Cafe by  Rochelle Alers

I thought this would be the perfect book for me but I found it far too descriptive in places and found it a hard going book. I did not manage to finish the book despite a couple of attempts.
Thankyou to both the author and netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.
The Seaside Cafe by Rochelle Alers was what I term a "chick lit" book. Ms. Alers did an excellent job of describing Coates Island and I could actually feel like I was there while reading. I was intrigued by the description of the book about three women who form a summer book club.

I confess that I felt like all Kayana, Leah and Cherie seemed to do was bicker each time they got together to discuss the book rather than discuss the book. Their friendship seemed to be forced rather than casual. They even got into some very personal discussions which I thought was odd for casual acquaintances. Kayana's romance was sweet and I thought her and Graeme's relationship developed realistically. All in all it's not a bad read but it's not one that I loved.
I was enjoying this book.  But then it pulled the race card. If you like people who like that in a book. . I dont
Thank you net galley for providing me this eBook in exchange for a fair an honest review. This book was so/so for me.

I loved the tropical backdrops, it always puts me in a great mood! I also loved the book club portion it feels like a small shout out from one bookworm to another.

The downside. This book just kinda fell apart from me. The friendships seemd very tense and very put on.
The Seaside Cafe is an entertaining and well written book.  Well developed plot and believable characters.  Love the North Carolina setting.  I received an arc from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
This book is filled with compelling characters in an idyllic setting. Rochelle Alers has a style of writing that some may find difficult (as evidenced by other reviews Iโ€™ve read of this book), but her characters are realistic, complex, and often people I wish I could meet. I enjoyed the growing relationship between Kayana and Graeme, the interesting discussions within the book club, and the dynamics of Kayana with all of her friends and her brother. I look forward to the next book in the series.
#TheSeasudeCafe#Bet Galley
This book is set in a grandchildren off the coast of North Carolina., As you read the story you can picture the place and the characters in your mind.
Katana Johnson has moved home to help her brother run the cafe.  Although she usually keeps to her salvage finds herself talking to two women who become friends.  As the story progresses kindred spirit makes many things feel possible for Kayanna.
This book shows how when the right people meet. lives can be changed and enriched.
Thank you, Net Galley for providing me with an e-copy of this book. All opinions mentioned below are my own and not influenced by anyone.

Very rarely do I review books without finishing them but this really left me no choice.

The Seaside Cafe is a story about Kayana who moves back to her hometown after her divorce. She helps her brother out at the Seaside Cafe, a cafe running through generations in their family.

She comes across two other women (whose names I've already forgotten) and multiple other customers, whose lives we were likely to be glimpsing into.

I always opt for these kind of stories where you peak into lives of different people who would briefly come across each other. I also adore books surrounding bookshops and cafes, female friendship, and a bit of romance.

This book had every ingredient to make me love it, but it just didn't seem to do it for me.

I wasn't able to finish this book for multiple reasons. For one, the sentences were annoyingly long, enough for me to keel losing track and having to go back. It slowed down and interrupted the readability of the story.

There's also some pointless descriptions. Though I understand this being okay in some books, it really doesn't add any value to the story. The author is neither building a picture nor getting to a point.

The dialogues are pretty off-putting too. It's just way too formal and unnatural. They seem forced and flat, not doing anything to build character.

Another weird thing about this book is how abruptly the chapters and sections seem to be ending. It's like the author was too lazy to prepare a proper ending and opted to just leave it at that, hoping we wouldn't notice.

Overall, I didn't get past chapter 5, though I had held high hopes for it. Utterly disappointed.
I wanted to read the Seaside Cafe because the premise is one I love in books-- women reinventing their lives, food, coastal living and North Carolina. Unfortunately the book left me underwhelmed and I attribute it to one reason: the story felt fragmented. I was not able to connect with it and considered it not finishing it, but I decided to keep going. The more I read, the more I kept thinking that the characters interactions felt forced. The story had all the elements of a phenomenal first book in this series (I am assuming it will be a series), but it just did not deliver for me.

First, there is the main character, Kayana (Kay), who is running the cafe in Coates Island, NC with her brother. After the divorce from a wealthy surgeon. Kayana is focused on cooking and her books. That is it. Until seasonal customers start arriving. First there are the two women who share a mutual love of books, and they start a book club. However, their interactions were rude and contentious most of the time. I kept thinking "Why is Kay still talking to them?".  Then there is her interaction with her own brother, which was so odd because it did not feel genuine. Their dialogue was ridiculous. It felt like they were two strangers talking.

But the oddest relationship is that of Kay and her main romantic interest. This man has been in love with her for a few years but she has "never noticed" although everyone else has.  At first she isn't really interested, but because they love books and movies, they start dating. At times, Kay comes across as bitchy when talking to him, as a way to exert she's an independent woman. He's is bitchy with her at times too, especially about his dog. The most annoying aspect is that it went from no chemistry to sexual in 2.2 seconds and the author expects us to find that believable. It was not.  They had no chemistry whatsoever and the sex scenes just read so clinical. I was disappointed that I could not get into it.

Thank you for the opportunity to review this book, NetGalley and the publisher.
I totally enjoyed this book. Kayana, Derrick and Graham were very strong characters as well as Leah and Cherie. The story of Kayana and Derrick was a story in itself with everyone woven in. I have read this author before and enjoyed all that I read but I feel this series is going to be especially good. A GOOD READ.
I normally love books that centre around book groups and/or cafes so the fact that this book contained both was what attracted me to this novel. Kayana returns to Coates Island after the end of her marriage to run the family cafe with her brother. Whilst working she meets Cherie and Leah and the three set up a book group as they have similar literary tastes. At the same time Graeme and Kayana negotiate a new romance. This split focus was a little problematic - neither storyline felt fully developed. The book group angle was uncomfortable, especially in the first half of the novel, as there were very prickly relationships between the women. It often felt hostile and angry but never truly got sorted whereas the romance seemed a side issue. However, this still remained a somewhat enjoyable book but one I liked rather than loved.