Cover Image: Falastin

Falastin

Apparently my reviews (and Goodreads profile) are causing people to nastily tell me that I am the funniest/most-stupid person on the planet. Life is too short without humour and YOU ARE ALL MEAN GIRLS. #mikedrop

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I have played a zillion games of scrabble, done a zillion crosswords and I AM BORED!!!)

Falastin is a soulful tour of Palestinian cookery today from Ottolenghi's Executive Chef Sami Tamimi, with 120 highly cookable recipes contextualized by his personal narrative of the Palestine he grew up in.

The story of Palestine's food is really the story of its people. When the events of 1948 forced people from all the regions of Palestine together into one compressed land, recipes that were once closely guarded family secrets were shared and passed between different groups in an effort to ensure that they were not lost forever.

In Falastin, Tamimi retraces the lineage and evolution of his country's cuisine, born of its agriculturally optimal geography, many distinct regional cooking traditions, and, ultimately, Palestinian cooks' ingenuity and resourcefulness as the country's foodways mingled and morphed. From the recipes of refugee-camp cooks to the home kitchens of Gaza and the mill of a master tahini maker, Tamimi teases out the vestiges of an ancient cuisine while recording the derivations of a dynamic cuisine and the stories of the people of Palestine--as told from the kitchen.

This is a lovely cookbook that I have already pre-ordered for myself: it is full of fun, fresh recipes that are easy to make and are full of flavour and some very enjoyable stories.. Tahini and hummus are two of my favourite foods on the planet (with a dash of fair-trade-from-Palestine za'atar of course ) and these recipes here are going to be in heavy rotation this summer. The vegetarian recipes are also easy to add proteins of your choice to if that floats your boat - it is a very versatile cookbook that deserves a read, if you are a lover of food as I am.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥘🥘🥘🥘🥘

p.s. there are two links to Goodreads as I cannot get the books to com