Cover Image: Writers' Revenge

Writers' Revenge

Unfortunately I hated this book. I will not post a public review as I feel it is unfair on the author.
This just hasn’t been the right book for me
The premise of this book held much promise. Unfortunately the execution did not live up to it.
The author needs to rewrite this and add more dimension to the characters.
Not what I was expecting! This story was a little bit to slow moving for me.
The story is about 4 writer with a publisher who has mislead them and as a result they have signed away the rights to their stories.  The 4 set out to make him pay.

While the idea of the story is good, it missed the boat in execution. Found it hard to read and had to keep going back to read sections to keep characters straight.

Thank you Netgalley for complimentary copy. Thoughts and opinions are my own.
okay. so. i wanted to like this book. but. it was hard to get into it. that's just my honest opinion. so i'm sorry i didn't like it more.
Four women with the worst cases sounded  like a good story. I think it could have been too but just wasn't
Writer's Revenge felt like quite a generic read for me, I personally didn't love it but I'm glad that I took the time to finish it.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an Advanced Readers Copy in exchange for an honest review.
Really enjoyed this book. Steady paced, great characters, I was absorbed throughout. Will be reading more Gamble books in the future!
I am really sorry but I cannot possible give this book more than one star. I want to. Trust, I really want to. I absolutely loved the set up: four writers who have the most horrible experience with their publisher and work together to destroy him? Awesome! So I dived into this book with a smile on my face and in hopes of a fun, quirky read.

And I suppose it is a fun quirky read. But one that I almost dnf'ed on multiple occasions. The first one being the scene where one of the writers finds herself a US based agent and after meeting - what, twice? - starts kissing her. That is her mouth and her armpit. And there was even a remark to how she is astounded? surprised? Because she is sure she stinks, after her long journey. I just couldn't. I was completely appalled by this man's behaviour and this character made it clear that she wanted to keep business and pleasure separate but didn't outright refuse him. There is also a sentence in there about how she didn't want to embarrass him and then makes sure that he knows that. While in my head there were red alarm bells about how this man whom she just started a working relationship with sexually harrassed her. Because that's honestly how it read to me. And she makes sure that he's not embarrassed.

Anyway, moving on. Apart from always being bewildered of the character's opinions, I couldn't tell them apart. At all. I got constantly confused about whose storyline I was reading and also got confused with the names. There were long paragraphs of just dialogue and I never knew who was talking and apart from that I felt that the dialogue was incredibly stilted and wooden. I just can't imagine anyone talking like that naturally.

I am truly sorry about my harsh words, I know a book takes a lot of work and that but honestly? This was just a complete miss for me. There have been people who enjoyed it (since this book got some good reviews as well), so it might be just me. You will have to decide for yourself what you will make of this book.
This book is about aspiring authors and published authors on their journey of getting revenue due to publishers and etc doing them wrong. It is an interesting idea however, I couldn't get through it. I felt that the execution of the story wasn't as well as I thought it would be. I didn't want to pick it up. Instead, I continued to read other books I was more interested in. I didn't care much for the characters or any of the things that happened to them.

Also I noticed some grammatical errors and issues with the wiring that start to bug me. If the premise of the story interests you, I suggest reading it. However, do keep in mind it may not be as good as you hope.
This book started out strong. It's about a writer who pretty much signs her life away to a publisher who then refuses to give her, her US rights pretty much keeping her prisoner.

I had a hard time finishing this book, and I had a hard time getting into it.
While the characters were two dimensional and unrealistic I found this book intriguing based off the premise. Authors mad at their publisher and want to get back. It was flat. Something was missing. I almost wish the author had put more effort into one or two characters and given them some more depth. I’m sorry. I really wanted to like this book.
The premise of this was so promising: four authors feel mistreated by their publisher, and they decide to get revenge. Sounds good, right?

Let's ignore spelling and grammar for a minute, because the author clearly did so too. The main reason revenge stories work, is because the wronged characters are compelling and make you feel empathetic. But these characters are just boring, dumb (who doesn't read a contract before signing?!) and utterly devoid of depth. Maybe if the book had focused on one character, it could've been saved somewhat. But this story jumps around from character to character, and lacks the plot cohesion necessary to turn loose fragments into an enjoyable read.
This wasn't the best chick-lit romance novel I have read, but it wasn't the worst.

The story follows a group of romance writers who all have contracts with the same publisher. None of them are happy with the publisher for different reason and then decide to exact their revenge, as a group, to bring the publisher's owner Rory down a peg or two.

I found the story far fetched, and the characters very two dimensional and a little stereotypical.

In addition to the main plot line of the writers carrying out their revenge there were love stories in the background.

It was a quick read, and it was nice having a different angle in the fact they are all working with a publisher but I just didn't really engage with any of the characters.
While I found the book enjoyable overall, it did take me a while to get into the groove.

Having spent plenty of time on both the writing and marketing side of the business world, I had an appreciation for the tension between the 4 writers and their nemesis (the publishing company owner & employees.)  Each has their own goals and way to go about making them.

In this novel, though, the publishing company is broken. The owner is more concerned with fattening his personal bank account. And his "wonderful" editor is more focused on her next drink and tearing apart the work of the authors. Given the toxic state of things, when they announce a contest with a cash prize, a group of authors (4 women with very different writing styles) decides to exact revenge.

Plenty of bumps and twists in the road to get to where the greed and hatred of others from the owner and editor come out in the light of day. And, the writers and marketing gal realize they were never the other's enemy. Instead, the editor drove that wedge.

By the end of the novel, I was curious to see where this cast of characters would go next.

Many thanks for the advanced reader digital copy to read. All opinions are my own.
Thank you so much for NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the advanced reader copy of the book. All opinions are mine.

I was genuinely excited about this book: the blurb sounded amazing. I mean, can you imagine that 4 women, who are writers go after the publishers being not fair to them and revenge it?! YAS, what an epic promise.
So compared to the amazing expectations of the book I feel that not all has been fulfilled!
The characters were a little bit silly acting in my opinion, and I was expecting a bit more of a feminist vibe. In the other hand all I could see was women being treated badly in the "novels".

One good aspect of the book was knowing more of the inside of the publishing company, the games paleyed behind the curtains. The book really grabbed the reality the insecurities of anyone who submits their writing to publishers.
I really enjoyed this book.  Character development was good.  The plot was very interesting.  Not a lot of typos.
DID NOT FINISH

Thank you NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for the free copy. This is an honest review.

Listen, the premise for this book was freaking awesome. And this was one of those cases where the blurb was actually 100% better than the book. And I am down for four female authors to pack up their shit and leave after they figure out what they're getting is less than they deserve. But honestly, I did not get far enough into this book to even believe this sort of thing might happen sooner or later.

The lockdown for COVID-19 can make people do strange things as we can see online, but I did not think me requesting this book would be one of them. Turns out, this book is hot garbage!

The writing is all over the goddamn place. It's mostly uninterrupted dialogue with no clue as to who is speaking. It might be the version I got for my Kindle, and I hope to god it is better in published form but I feel like that is not the case. Does no one know spellcheck anymore? Like, what is going on?

All I want to do is forget about this book and I wish I hadn't wasted two days trying to get through how much ever I did manage to read.

Sorry, folks. And special apologies to the author. Truly. But I would rate this less than one star if I could.
This was an interesting look at the world of publishing, through the lens of satire. The characters are fairly likable, but the writing was not my style.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
Being a writer for these four authors is so much more than putting pen to paper, it is their life, emotions, and heart into each word. For their publisher unfortunately, it's a quick buck.

The story had immense potential based on the plotline but the variety of characters and perspectives made me yearn for a dominant voice to guide us along the journey. I really couldn't identify with any of the characters but it did give some interesting insight into the struggles of a writer.
I had high hopes for this book from the start.  I think the idea of writers coming together to get even so to speak with their publisher.  This book however fell flat for me, the story line seemed a bit all over the place and the characters to me seemed scattered.  Some chapters had multiple characters perspectives seeming to happen out of no where.  Again I think the idea of this book was great it just was not for me.  I would have to give this book a 1 out of 5.  Thank you netgalley and publisher for the advanced read.