Cover Image: Pretty Tricky

Pretty Tricky

I love plants, so it was a natural pick to grab this book. Especially since it's a sweet, non-fiction picture book!

The information is presented in a very informative yet interesting way. I was hooked to every word and was honestly interested. I think this book would be a great way for educators or parents to read to their children and use a non-fiction book in the process. It's absolutely great for learning.

Kids can learn how plants defend themselves, where certain plants naturally grow, and plant reproduction, among other cool topics!

The illustrations are super cool - especially the Venus fly trap. It stood out to me instantly and pulled my attention in. They have a cool cut paper textile that makes it super intriguing and attention grabbing.

Overall, I really liked this book! It's informative, and as someone with a green thumb I found it super interesting!

Four out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Owlkids for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Beautiful cut paper illustrations accompany well-researched fun facts about animal adaptations. Next best thing to actual photographs, and at times more aesthetically pleasing. Would work well alongside learning about evolution/survival of the fittest/plant biology.
Great illustrations and awesome book to use in a classroom when discussing botany. It will hold your students’ attention and will keep them interested. I highly recommend!
Fascinating. This is a beautifully illustrated book about unusual plant behavior.  Adults and children will enjoy this book. I alway womdered why mimosa trees responded to touch but never got around to actually looking into it. Although the illustrations are outstanding, I wish photos of each plant could be included at the end of the book.
Pretty Tricky was a very informative book about the ways plants survive through defense, trickery, and imitation.  The text was detailed without being overly wordy, providing enough information to understand the plant's defense while not overwhelming a young reader.  The illustrations were amazing!  The paper collage images were not only beautiful and detailed, they definitely helped the reader understand the concepts being explained in the text.  The informational and geographical blurbs provided additional information without being a distraction from the main text.  Students of all ages will find this text engaging and interesting while teachers and librarians can use it to help students build background knowledge and to promote further research on plants and how they survive.
The illustrations are gorgeous! They are paired with a great scientific narrative, making a book that is irresistible.
Clever way to present topic with lively accurate text and kid  appealing art.   Great for younger pre-school STEM projects. Will be purchasing for my library
Wow, what a stunning science text! Gorgeous, vibrant pictures are contained without to accompany the unique facts about how plants utilize their environments and creatures to their benefit. I would recommend this for children age 7 and up.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC.
This fascinating non-fiction book will be a winner with kids ( and adults too ) I'm sure.  The author takes you into the amazing world of tricky, sneaky plants.  Even the title peaks curiosity and invites kids in to discover the unimaginable ways that plants survive.

The text is clear and well written.  Kids will not only learn pertinent facts regarding these natural wonders but will find the book highly entertaining as well.

A variety of plants are documented and described through fact bubbles.  The back of the book includes:  how flowering plants make seeds, how plants make food, an index, a glossary of scientific terms and a list of selected sources enabling readers to  explore even deeper.

The cut-paper collage illustrations are colourful, vibrant and beautifully done.  This book would be perfect to include in a classroom or elementary school library.   I personally learned a lot and I highly, highly recommend it.
Do you know of anyone who has a green thumb or is wanting to learn about fascinating plants? This book then may be for you if you want a quick yet informative read that explores some of the more interesting plants that you may or may not know about.

The writing is simple and brief throughout the book but still very informative. As a result the reader gets a generalized introduction as well as a summarized paragraph for each of the sections. From there the book explores in-depth each plant by givings its key points and strategies in how it sneakily survives every day threats.

Furthermore the author includes in the back an index, small glossary and a selection of further reads all on the last page. Quite a nice add-on for science class.

The illustrations were a gorgeous collage with beautiful details and colors. Althoughly brightly colored it is also quite subtle but not so much that it takes away. Artwise this is definitely a keeper for its portrayal.

The only thing that I have to complain about the book is just the tone of the book. It starts off as an educational read with a bit of some subject-related puns that even though eye-rolling for the most cynical was a bit of a break from the serious tone. Unfortunately after just about two or three jokes it chose that it wasn't going to attempt a comedy routine but an informative read focused on addressing children.

All in all it was a decent read and one that would make for a good addition to any science-based library for children or even for adults who don't mind children's books.

***I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review***
Colorful, inviting collages illuminate clear-cut descriptions of the many, varied, ingenious ways that plants have adapted to survive.  Index, glossary, sources.
This book is incredibly interesting!  If you were trying to get your kids interested in gardening/plants or if you were going to do a unit on plants and want to inspire some interest - this is the book for you!  This book is chock-full of fascinating plants!

The book itself is PRETTY TRICKY!  (See what I did there?) I can see where detailing the weird and awesome defense tactics of these plants would intrigue BOYS and active children that may otherwise be uninterested.  The illustrations are also an interesting choice instead of photographs.  It is a book full of facts, so you would expect photographs, but I decided that it was another tricky trick & may keep kids interested with the lovely pictures and colors!

Really fun book full of interesting facts!  Completely original and informative!

5 brilliantly tricky stars!

YOU need this book if you want to inspire an interest in nature/plant study!

Suggested Activities:
Try to find some of these plants outside!
Buy one of these plants and plant it in the garden (Snapdragons?)
If you can find/buy a venus fly trap kids will think it is super cool!
Have your child make up their own plant with its own defenses! Draw a picture detailing the plant and its defense tactics.
Be a venus fly trap and kill all the flies! (lol)
Snapdragon art

FOLLOW ME and see more book reviews @ www.mamaneedsabook.blogspot.com
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
Have you ever thought about the ways plants can adapt and change to ensure survival?  Pretty Tricky teaches us some of the sly things different plants can do to promote their survival.

The facts are written in easily understandable language. This book would be a great supplemental part of a science curriculum or for a student who prefers nonfiction books. I would recommend this book for libraries and classrooms, as well as at home for students who are science-enthusiasts

Thank you to Etta Kane’s, OwlKids, and NetGalley for an electronic galley of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This vividly illustrated children's book teaches kids about interesting ways that plants spread seeds, eat, defend themselves, etc. The illustrations are vivid collage pages that are beautiful, but it's a shame there were no photos of the actual plants. The text is small and on somewhat crowded pages. It was a little too long to work for a read-aloud with my 8 year-old daughter and didn't really hold her attention, but it could make for a nice solo read for kids. Despite a few criticisms, it's both beautiful and interesting, and would make a great nature study or biology resource for kids.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Pretty Tricky focuses on plants that make adaptations to their environment to help keep them alive. I loved the variety of plants, many that I had never heard of. The interactions between insect and plant were also fascinating. I have some plant-loving kiddos that will really enjoy this book.
Illustrations were stunning!
I hands down LOVE this book. The introduction is so witty! Puns galore! And the illustrations are stunning; I love the style of art with loads of textures and color gradients. Each plant features facts about where it's found in the world and what makes it so tricky. Utterly fascinating. One I'll definitely be adding to my class library.

There are three chapters, each focusing on a different way plants are tricky: Plants on the Defense, Making More Plants (pollination tricks), Food Glorious Food! (tricky ways plants get food). Then there's the extra information section: how plants make seeds, how plants make food, and index/glossary/sources.

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC! All opinions are my own and are unbiased.
Plants are fascinating living things that I often take for granted. This book highlights the awe inspiring ways that plants survive and thrive. The cut paper illustrations in this book are lovely to look at and the information is perfectly digestible (just like a fly in a Venus fly trap!).
As smart as it is beautiful, this book was a delight to read.  Each page is a stunning display of cut paper collage that make for a visual treat, while the text is clear and engaging, making the mystery of these tricky plants a fun and educational experience.  Equally at home in a science classroom or a home bookshelf, this book is a treat for any budding scientist.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this digital ARC in return for a fair and honest review.
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed  and you are in #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Have you ever thought of plants as tricky? Probably not. But in this nonfiction book, readers are introduced to the tricky techniques some plants use to defend themselves, reproduce, or acquire food. From the copycat Boquila vine that changes shape to match its host plant to the pungent carrion flower that lures pollinating flies with the scent of rotten meat, plants across the globe have adapted to survive all kinds of threatening fauna.

Each amazing plant adaptation is described through fact bubbles and easy-to-grasp blocks of text. End matter includes a list of sources for kids to explore, a glossary defining scientific terms, and an index.

Brought to life with eye-popping cut-paper collage illustrations, this book is a garden of knowledge that will leave kids with a better understanding of how living things adapt to their environments.

Having recently read and review Miss Kaner's books on animals and how they cool down (Do Lizards Eat Ice Cream?) I was excited to see this book and what she was now writing about. I had no idea that plants actually fought each other: to survive: I just assumed that they photo-synthesized and got on with their lives. I mean, if plants are smart enough to do this, how can we tell if they feel things or not and are all the plant-eaters/vegans/vegetarians/etc causing them pain and actually murdering them? (Remember the scene in "Notting Hill" where the fruitarian would not eat the carrots as they had been murdered??? Oh, that might be showing my age!)

The book is well written and the illustrations are wonderful: I can just see the texture of the cut-paper illustrations eve on a Kindle.screen.  This is a great way to teach kids about "crazy" plants - yet they will not feel like they are beating "schooled"!  AND while you re at it...buy and read "Do Lizards Eat Icecream" as well. (She has also written "Do Frogs Drink Hot Chocolate?" a favourite of my family!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🌸🌺🌹🌷🌼