Cover Image: The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple

I was intrigued by this synopsis and the cover immediately, and I'm lucky that I wasn't disappoint. The book has this electrifying atmosphere and creepy feeling that makes you unable to put it down. The haracters ware unlikable, but that wasn't the problem I dare to say it make it little better and different.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
This book grabbed me in the first chapter and had me turning the page to find out what was happening. Suspense, grief, betrayal, mystery all play a part in this book. Theres a roller coaster of emotions involved in this book !!
He said he would always be there for me, but it’s been a year since he drained his coffee, walked out the front door and vanished. Did he leave me? Or did something terrible happen? I’m scared someone finally found out about what happened on the drive home that night. I lie awake at night trawling the internet for rental properties, desperate for an escape. Until I see my husband’s gorgeous face smiling back at me from a photograph on the fireplace in someone else’s home, and something inside of me snaps. At the house, I find no trace of him and the woman who lives there has no idea who I am. But I’m certain she’s hiding something behind the locked door upstairs. I know that if I want answers, I have to stay. You might think that what’s inside that room is the answer to all my questions and the end of all my pain.

I was intrigued by this synopsis and eager to get stuck in. We begin with a very  hurt and fragile Jo as she approaches the one year anniversary of her husband disappearing. From here Hayes weaves a highly strung, emotional read that becomes increasingly intense the more you read. Towards the end of the read, the atmosphere is absolutely electric and I for one was gripped.

A book such as this thrives off twists and Hayes does have plenty of twists as Jo makes a lot of discoveries about her husband. However, the twists are obvious. This did not ruin the read for me but it did dampen the tension towards the end of the read. Some of the plot twists are ridiculous as well so you may have to suspend disbelief.

I now move onto the characters and I am sad to say I did not find any character particularly likeable. This did not present a major problem but did mean I lacked someone to root for and invest in which was a shame. However, I did enjoy learning about the different characters and seeing how they all slot in with each other. Some of the characters do bring a few surprises along the way.

Earlier I said I found the book to have an electrifying atmosphere and it definitely did but it was also full of tremendous pain and heartache. Jo goes through so much during this read and I may not have found her likeable but I could still feel every emotion she was experiencing.

'The Happy Couple' is an intense read that is rammed with secrets and heart-breaking discoveries for Jo to make. However, I needed likeable characters and more surprises to improve this read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance copy.
While this book kept me turning pages, I found the main character Jo very unlikable and not very stable.
Jo's husband goes missing one night, leaving no clues to his whereabouts and leaves his phone, keys and wallet at his office. One year later he is still gone without a trace and Jo sees him everywhere. She hasn't moved on and wants to know what happened so one day her best friend Louise signs her up for a house sitting website to take a holiday. Clueless, Jo agrees and ends up seeing pictures of her missing husband Will at this Women's home. She applies to sit for her and sets off on a journey to find her husband. I was definitely interested in knowing what happened to Will so I kept turning the pages. However, many things that occurred in the story were so farfetched, it was simply unbelievable.
I'm a big fan of Samantha Hayes but his one just wasn't a favourite for me. I found it a bit hard to get into and to connect with. There are some fantastic reviews for this book so I do feel as though its just not for me and not necessarily the book itself. Worth a read if your a Hayes fan though.

Thank you Netgalley.
I loved the premise of Samantha Hayes’ The Happy Couple. Will simply disappeared one day. They did find his car, phone and all other personal items but nobody knew what happened to him. Days turned to weeks and soon a year went by and then one day his wife saw his photo in an advert for a rental home.

I love a good mystery and this one had me scratching my head. I kept changing my mind about what happened to Will. At some point I thought he was dead/murdered. Again, I thought he had met someone new and simply walked out on his wife. His disappearance was quite puzzling and I was eager to put the pieces together. I felt sorry for Jo who couldn’t move on with her life and spent all her days looking for him and hoping that he would walk back into her life.

My feelings about this book were up and down though. While I loved the mystery, I felt that some parts of the book dragged on and my mind began to wander. I loved following the clues especially once Jo went to the rental property and all these ominous occurrences started happening. At the same time, I wasn’t too crazy about some of the twists. Towards the end, suspension of disbelief wasn’t working anymore, I just felt like the conclusion was waaaay out there.

I know my review sounds confusing but that was my experience reading this book. Loved the mystery, didn’t love parts of the plot and the ending. Interestingly, because of the uniqueness of the premise, this is one mystery that is likely to stay with me.

In the end, this was an okay read but it didn’t wow me like 4 previous books by the author that I’ve read and enjoyed. I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next though.
3 for neutral, unfortunately I could not get into this book.  I tried on a few occasions, but never grabbed me.  Will update if able to finish at a later date.
I have read several books by this author and really enjoyed them, but this one I just found bizarre!! I just found the plot started off extremely unbelievable and then I thought ok I can see where this is going but then jo, the main character,  was talking and seeing her missing husband all the time In her head , and then she ended up house sitting in a strangers house that knew her missing husband ( very unbelievable!) and Then the storyline Just got even more bizarre!! It was all over the place ! So this one was not one of favourites by this author 😬
How long will you be waiting for the love of your life?
Jo loved her husband Will, but one night he disappeared… now, a year later, her friend pushes her for a house sitting as holidays, her life will change after seeing her husband in a photo of one of the houses. She will need to know more about the woman on the photographs and why her husband was in them. Ready?
This had been an original read, as we read Jo’s thoughts in the present, we will have some flashbacks about her past with Will. But the mystery will remain there till the ending, what made Will to leave her? Were they ever really a happy couple? Who is the woman in the photos? So many question that could only be answered if you read the book of course!
The story is focused in the relation between Jo and Will; their love, trust and happiness together, making you question your own relation with your partner. How deeper is the love between you too? Could something that you always thought that would be strong forever be broken so easily?
I love the psychological thrillers that make you re-think about your life and your beliefs, because even if this is a fiction book, as I always say, reality is much more dangerous than fiction.
This is a book that you have to let it abduct you, this is not the marriage you expect, there are some mysteries that must be revealed… ready to discover “The Happy Couple”?
I read this ARC for an honest review
All thoughts and opinions are mine

A new author to me - I enjoyed this
A quick read - loved the ending - did not see that coming!

I will be keeping an eye out for more from this author
I was so looking forward to reading this book. The blurb sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, I was really let down. I tried so hard to get into this book. I was looking for the thrill in thriller, but I didn't find it.

The protagonist comes across as annoying and slightly whiny for most of the book and I was expecting a bigger flash of an ending. Instead it was just kind of blah.

I would like to thank Samantha Hayes, Bookouture and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Samantha Hayes is my top 10 favorite authors. I really enjoy her book but I just felt like this book was a very generic for you. I seem to be getting a lot of these lately where the story is the same as every other story that I can predict from beginning middle and end. The story line is the same as everything else the characters are going through the same situation. I am going more towards books that have different situations that I haven't read about yet. I still love Samantha Hayes and will continue to read books by her.
Loved the last couple of Samantha Hayes novels and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two thirds learning about Will and Jo and their life together before the day he walked out and never came back.  Jo stills ’talks’  to Will and is determined to discover where he is when she sees photos of him in a different family.  So far, a 4-5 star read.  However, I would have preferred a different last third ad it didn’t really work for me.  It became a different book. And I preferred the first.
This was just okay for me. The pacing was too slow the whole time and while there were a couple of decent twists throughout, it just wasn't what I was expecting after reading and loving "The Liar's Wife". The characters started to really annoy me and there were several times that I straight up rolled my eyes at what was happening. I just wanted more from this book, so while this isn't a terrible book by any means, I was disappointed.

**Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-arc in exchange for an honest review!**
This genre is so crowded that a book needs to be extra special in order for it to stand out and unfortunately this did not deliver for me.
This book was a fast read. I loved the twist at the end. The narrator is unreliable which is good and bad depending on your personal preference on books.  I enjoyed this one and will definitely read more books by samantha hayes.
Unique story, very well written and plotted. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you publisher and netgalley for this arc in exchange of an honest review.
This was a fast read as it was suspense pure. While it was a bit slow at the start with Jo, the wife labouring the point that her husband left her suddenly, the story certainly picked up. The end was unexpected but a bit too much for my taste. Nevertheless, an enjoyable, thrilling read.
I really enjoyed this book.  Well written & thought out with plenty twists.  I did guess a big one pretty early on.   I would recommend this to anyone.
This is my first novel from this author but I can see myself reading more of her. The writing was clear and easy to follow. The main character had her flaws, albeit she was irritating through much of the book. It started off a little slow then picked up, but it almost felt like the ending was rushed. Even so, I did enjoy the book and would recommend to others looking for a good psychological thriller.