Cover Image: The White Rose Resists

The White Rose Resists

Due to a change in reading tastes... Meaning, I've stopped reading nonfiction and sadder books during 2020 I won't be reading or reviewing this book like I expected.

However, I have not heard of anything that would turn any of my friends or followers away from this story and suggest those that enjoyed WWII stories check it out!
Faced with the atrocities of the Nazi regime, a group of university students join together to apprise their fellow students and neighbors through leaflets they will produce. Knowing what may happen if they are discovered, they choose standing up for their beliefs over what they may face.

Standing strong for beliefs can be traced back to the beginning of time: the Disciples for their Christian faith, dissenters during the American Revolution, World War 1, World War 2, and the Vietnam War, and so many other examples. This story traces the real life activities of the group of university students who published the White Rose to make those around them in Berlin aware of the truth of the events happening because of the Hitler regime. They gave their all in their work and some made the ultimate sacrifice of their lives as well.

Well written with varying perspectives from the different students involved. This story brought to mind some of the events taking place in the US and around the world and what choices each of us will make that may change our country or even our world.
WOW!! This book will keep you turning the pages. The author brings to book to life with her words and you can feel all the emotions. I highly recommend this book!! Thank you Independent Publishers Group - Kregel Publications via NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this wonderful book. All opinions expressed are my own.
This story has a bit of a slow build, but once it got going, I couldn’t put it down. You can tell that Amanda Barratt did her research with this, as The White Rose Resists felt steeped in history and peppered with incredible details. It wasn’t until I finished the book and was reading the author note that I realized that the majority of the characters were real life people.
As I read about the lives of these incredible young people, their courage challenged me. They were flawed and afraid, and yet they knew they had to speak out against the darkness. I liked that Amanda created the characters of Annalise and Kirk to further lean into what it may have been like during that time.
I really enjoyed this book, but more than that, it made me think about how I would respond then, and how I need to respond now, to the evil that is present in our world. All throughout this story, the faith of these characters is evident, and strong, despite the heaviness of the darkness they faced. I definitely recommend this book for any reader who wants to be challenged, to learn, and yes, even to be entertained.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Wow.
This book is a stunning memorial to those that stand for truth above propaganda.
I really appreciated the historical details that made these real characters come to life and they will forever be remembered by me. I was equally drawn into the fictional characters that experienced the real events happening around them. I was crushed, and yet encouraged by this story of, bravery,  loyalty and sacrifice. A reminder to stand for truth and freedom.
Though not my normal reading material I am so grateful for the opportunity to have read this book.
I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgally,  all my opinions are completely my own.
The White Rose Resists is a WWII historical fiction novel that follows a group of students called the White Rose as they publish pamphlets against Hitler.
I have never read any books by Amanda Barrett before, but after reading this one, I know two things: I will be reading more of her books and she is a very skilled author. Rarely do I find an author that grips me and pulls me into the story like she did. Her book was filled with such historical detail and such richness and if you are a fan of historical fiction, you'll love this one!
#The White Rose Resists#  is  a  novel  during the   challenging   time of World War II Amanda Barratt has   written  more than  a dozen books and  is  an EPCA  winning author.  The cover   of the book  shows  what  the  secrets the  reader will enter into. There were so many  horrendous    events going on  during World War  11.  It is not fair  that   innocent people   would be killed because of their race.    This   book  is  so  carefully  researched. The  world we enter into is interesting and gripping when you read this book.  The  reader will have a hard  time  stopping and then the book  is  over!  There is a group in the book who resist  the horrible  events going on. They are willing  to risk all to  make   the world see  what is going on is not   right or should not be allowed.   It is important we  stand  by what  we  believe and not  waver.   We  must  be different.    It is  hard for this  group  "The White Rose" t0 resist is a group  ,makes a stand and be different.    The resistance  members   might get  caught and  any  turn!     It is  wonderful to read  about  "This White Rose"  group.    I  like  the descriptions of the characters. The characters  grow on the  reader and the reader  develops an  attachment to them.    Will we  as readers be willing to stand by  what  we  believe and be different even if  we  get   hurt  in the end?     The  setting  is  Munich .  Thank you to  netgalley, the author and the publisher for allowing me to read and review  this  book. It is  well written and  is  definitely and  award  worthy book.    I  highly recommend this book.   I will post my review on Amazon, Goodreads, my blog, facebook, Bookbub, CBD.com  I will also share my review with the church staff.
Quite frankly, I'm not sure where to begin. This book - it completely blew me away. Barratt is a masterful story teller, and easily connects you with the story. In fact, you feel as if you are part of the story as you are reading. You cannot help but become engrossed in what is happening, and all the emotions start taking over. You're scared for them. You're happy when things work out. You're biting your nails because at any moment one of them could get caught. You're jumping up and down when they make their marks in the world. And you are floored by all the things that went on during this horrendous time period - things you assumed, but didn't want to acknowledge, and even things that are new.

Yes - I continue to learn while reading historical fiction novels. Barratt's research is remarkable. She has every last detail accounted for in each and every scene. In the back of the book, she goes on to tell which characters were real people, and which were fictionalized - something that I always love to read! Truthfully, I kind of wish she were my history teacher. She just makes it come so alive in my mind. Sure, there are things I wish I didn't have to read about. When you're reading about Hitler's era there are tons of things you don't even want to think about. But they happened. They are real. And Barratt gracefully and beautifully brings them to this story.

Let me be completely honest and tell you that I had a HUGE book hangover after reading this. I could not even fathom how I could start a new book. I tried. My mind wouldn't let me. That's how amazing this book is. And rather than continuing to gush about it, because I could go on for hours, I'm just going to say this - READ THIS BOOK. It will touch your heart in ways you never expected. I promise.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is an incredible book! Amanda Barratt brings the stories of a small group of real people to life (in a fictionalized form). I felt their passion and I was deeply moved. It was not an easy story to read but a very important one that will not be forgotten. (The fictional persons in this story felt real too.)
One of the most memorable parts of the story for me, was when Sophie was being interrogated, she thinks, "If I don't defend truth when it's most difficult, who am I to have defended it in the first place?" There is something powerful in her statement. As we know, she pays for defending the truth with her life.
The history given in the "Author's Note" is exceptional. As a reader, I truly appreciate the research and heart that went into creating this book.
* I received a digital ARC of this book from the author. A review was not required but gladly given.
I have so many thoughts racing through my mind as I write this review but that’s been true since I started this book and continues to be true after I have finished reading it. As soon as I heard that Amanda Barratt was writing this book based on the true story of Sophie and Hans Scholl, I knew it would be respectfully, accurately and wonderfully written and it most certainly is.  What I didn’t know was just how emotional I would feel as I read the story of Sophie her bother and their friends and how courageous they were to face the repercussions if caught when distributing their leaflets. I have a huge amount of admiration for them and so many others who have done similar things throughout history.

I kept seeing the images of these amazing people and knew how the book would end but putting faces to the characters made me emotional as I read their story.  I cried as I thought about the lives taken so harshly because a few brave souls stood up to resist the ugliness they witnessed every day.  I love historical and I will say that this is one of the best novels in this genre that I have read and this will be on my keeper shelves.  I consider this book a must read and Ms. Barratt a must-read author.
I received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.
Another great read by Amanda Barrett that I couldn’t put it down until I finished it.
I really like how this author created her characters to seem lifelike and believable.
I could feel their fears and hopes to right wrongs that were going on in their country.
I know I always say this about most books that I read but this one will leave you really and truly leave you thinking about the characters long after the story is finished.
I really liked this book about the White Rose resistance movement.  What a brave group of college students, standing up for the wrongs of what was going on in their country.  The book was well written with the characters well developed.  I especially enjoyed Kirk's and Annaleise's story.
Author Amanda Barratt pens a story of resistance against evil and heroism on the part of a group of young adults known as The White Rose.

Barratt has a way of bringing history to life as she takes a true happening and fleshes it out into a wonderful story, without losing the facts. And leaves you breathless while you’re reading.

The White Rose Resists contains real stories about real people, and adds fiction characters who could very well have been real. Using different points of view, Barratt draws her readers into the story, into the settings, into the resistance. If you enjoy historical fiction you must read this story.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.
Within the pages of The White Rose Resists, Amanda Barratt has crafted a heart-wrenching and profoundly moving story of courage, conviction, and sacrifice. Based on actual events, this well-written novel boldly contrasts humanity’s capacity for love and hate, hope and despair, self-sacrifice and cruelty, perseverance and struggle, and faithfulness and uncertainty. With undeniable artistry, Ms. Barratt arranges ink on paper to paint a story that draws the reader into a gripping journey through chilling historical events that challenge the resiliency of the human heart and the human will to oppose evil and fight valiantly for truth, decency, morality, and justice.

Set in Germany during WWII, a young group of university students find that blind obedience to a tyrannical regime becomes unfathomable. At great personal risk, they dedicate themselves to exposing evil and spreading truth. In their raw vulnerability and heartrending authenticity, the characters are simply captivating. Their fears, their needs, their desires, and their actions are wholly believable and gripping. The opportunities, the choices, and the trials that the characters endure are intricately developed, and from them there unfurls a story that is extremely poignant, emotionally-stirring, and thought-provoking.

The White Rose Resists is an utterly breathtaking and moving novel. Ms. Barratt's talent for storytelling is remarkable. Her writing is well-researched, descriptive, and incredibly immersive. Within every paragraph and page there is deep meaning, real truth, and thoughtful purpose. This tender story is relevant, compelling, unforgettable, and inspiring. I recommend it enthusiastically.

*I was given a copy of this novel by the publisher and NetGalley. A review was not required. The review I have written is voluntary and contains opinions that are entirely my own.
There is no way that I can do justice to The White Rose Resists with my simple words. Amanda Barratt has done extensive research into the lives of the students and others involved in the resistance to Nazi propaganda and carnage. How can a small band of students make a difference? How much will it cost them? Will they have the courage they need if they are forced to make the ultimate sacrifice? Questions they ask themselves as they seek to make a difference.

Amanda Barratt breathes life into her characters. So many times I realized that I was holding my breath as I read of the struggles and daring deeds of this small band of dissenters. I was often afraid to read the next page and yet pulled by a force that made me want to know what happened even though I knew the outcome of this historical writing.

Two of the main characters are totally fictional but I without the author’s notes, I wouldn’t have known. This novel is so compelling, so true to history, so heartbreaking, and so convicting, written by an amazing young woman who is already known as a master of her craft.
“Some answers we will never receive this side of eternity.  It is enough to know God is present in all of our moments.  Our greatest triumphs and deepest tragedies.  Our beginnings and our ends.” (Quote from the book)

As I write this review, my eyes are filled with tears and my heart is full.  Every chapter of this book is filled with courage, faith, hope, and love.

Amanda Barrett’s novel about the students involved in the White Rose resistance is firmly rooted in accurate historical details, and I’m glad I learned more about them than I originally knew when I started this book.  But this author is not only an excellent researcher, she’s in a masterclass of her own in making the lives of these students jump out of the history books.  By the time I finished this book, I felt as if I’d personally known Sophie, Hans, and the other students involved in the resistance.

I thought she summed the victory in the lives of these students very well in this quote:

“The world around us may not showcase good.  Evil may continue to flourish. Darkness may, in fact, choke us like never before.....even the greatest darkness can be breached by the flame of a single candle.”
The candles of these students burn brightly on the pages of this book.  Once you read their story,  you’ll never forget the lives of the students of the White Rose resistance.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
"I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

I had already read up on the White Rose movement in Nazi Germany and always admired the bravery of Sophie Scholl and her brother Hans who risked their lives to get the word out about the truth of the Nazi regime. When an author I follow on Facebook recommended, The White Rose Resists by Amanda Barratt, I knew I would have to read it.

The book follows three characters, Sophie and two fictional characters, Annalise Brandt and Kirk Hoffmann.. Annalise is the daughter of a high ranking Nazi official and Kirk is the son of a Lutheran minister who opposes the Hitler. Also included are the actual people who were in the White Rose and risked their lives to get the message out. I didn't mind the fictional characters as they brought another dimension to the story, though  it dragged a bit in spots and I was anxious to get back to Sophie.

What most made the story for me is the author didn't just show the horror inflicted upon the Jews and other "undesirable" groups in Nazi Germany but also his other victims who were the German people those who disagreed and those who sent their sons out to fight in Hitler's madness.

There were so many moments in this book that I had to pause and reflect over a sentence or two that just stood out to me about how it was to not be part of the group. Worrying about who will tell on you, taking college classes in Aryan superiority...... I can't even imagine how it was to not believe and not know what to do. These students couldn't just sit by and let it happen, they had to speak out at the risk of their lives. God bless them all.... Sophie, Hans, Christoph, Alex and so many others.... thank you for trying, thank you for letting your conscience show you what is right, thank you for taking the risk. You are not forgotten.
4.5 stars for this WWII historical fiction. This book brought to light a movement that I'd not heard of before - the White Rose. This book is based on the actual lives of brother/sister duo Hans and Sophie Scholl, and their effort as college students to educate their fellow German citizens on what Hitler was really doing. Having not heard about any German resistance during WWII, I found this fascinating, particularly because of their youth.

Because of the subject matter, this book was a bit "heavier" than what I'm used to reading, though it's not TOO heavy. As the White Rose group was fighting against the racism prevalent in the era - seeking a pure Aryan race, there were a lot of conversations and sentiments that were particularly reminiscent of what's happening in the US right now after the recent death of George Floyd. I was able to relate a lot to how the group was feeling. Belonging to the race that is claiming superiority, but wanting to broadcast that it's not at all superior. I appreciated the differing viewpoints throughout the book and the fact that Ms. Barratt combined some of the outlying members of the White Rose to be represented in her fictional characters of Annaliese Brandt and Kirk Hoffman. The other viewpoint was Sophie Scholl, whose journals offered insight to the author on her thoughts, feelings and character. I think it is difficult to write about real-life historical figures, but I believe Ms. Barratt did an admirable job in this instance.

One of the things I love most about historical fiction is the ability to teach me something different or to see a different perspective of well known historical events. This book did both of those things and I loved learning about this group who fought back against their own countrymen with the written word. I would strongly recommend this one to any fans of historical (particularly WWII) fiction.

Special thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an e-copy of this book. I was under no obligation to write a positive review and the thoughts contained herein are my own.
Only action can bring absolution!

‘How can we expect righteousness to prevail if there is hardly anyone willing to sacrifice themselves for a righteous cause?’

I am always drawn to books that will teach me more about history. This narrative fills all the criteria -  a true account of real people during a time that both fascinates and horrifies. This is the story of Hans and Sophie Scholl and their friends, who stepped out of that comfortable university life to make a difference. ‘Somebody, after all, had to make a start’ —Sophie Scholl

An account that will long stay in your mind, this will certainly start a conversation in your mind as to what price you would be willing to pay for freedom. For these young people, they were not willing to remain silent but rather to be different, knowing that they were not going to be only hearers but also doers! Between the danger and treachery of that time, there is love, hope and extraordinary bravery.

‘Truth is worth everything!’

This digital copy was received through Krefeld Publications and NetGalley. The quotes come directly from the book. My impressions and comments were in no way solicited.
Barratt's storytelling ability is extraordinary delivering a fictional account of a significant historical happening that left an enduring legacy well beyond the end of WW11. I was riveted in the story of Sophie and Hans Scholl and their university friends within the first pages as the POV pivots between Sophie and a handful of the other key characters.

I wasn't aware of the significance of the White Rose resistance before reading the story and so I really didn't know what was fact and what was fiction which makes it even more exciting as a reader. The story is both captivating and heartbreaking with the sheer grittiness and brutality of war. But what grabbed me the most were the willingness of these young students to do something in the face of extreme opposition and threat of death if captured. In a week when the riots in America have consumed every news broadcast it challenged me to seek to better understand critical societal issues so I can be an informed advocate rather than a naive abstainer.

I warmed to each of the main characters as Barratt brought each one alive in a true portrayal. There's a beautiful romance in the story plus the faith of Sophie, Annalise and Kirk is inspirational.

I really can't recommend this enough and now must read Barratt's first story of Bonhoeffer.

I'm thankful to Kregel for providing an ebook copy via NetGalley without any expectations of a positive review.