Cover Image: Where the Veil Is Thin

Where the Veil Is Thin

As with most anthologies, this was a bit of a mixed bag. I thoroughly enjoyed some of the stories here while finding myself skimming through others.
this is  a really enjoyable collection of stories, I liked each story and that they flowed well together. Overall this was a great read.
Honestly a little disappointed by these stories, while the concepts were fun I think the writing was a bit lackluster. I think I would have appreciated it more if I were younger, but the tone and style are something I think I've outgrown, despite some of the darker themes. I enjoyed the variety of fair folk, but some stories were definitely better than others, and those were few and far in between. Wouldn't really recommend.
There are a lot of different short stories by different authors in this book but most of the stories didn't really grab my attention and I don't find them interesting. However I did enjoy the story teller story the fairie story where you got to pick and choose what happens next.
The Pros: Stories I Liked

See A Fine Lady by Seanan McGuire: Hands down, one of my favourites from this collection. It was quirky and interesting and just crazy enough to be believable. It reminded me a lot of Seanan’s Wayward Children series so I really enjoyed this!

Don’t Let Go by Alana Joli Abbott: I remembered this fairy tale from another book, but it was nice to see a more urban version of it. I thought the author did a great job of capturing character personalities and details in such a short amount of time. I was very much invested in this story – and I think I’ve found a new author to binge-read!

The Loophole by L. Penelope: I loved reading this one! The introduction of a mythical creature I’m not familiar within an urban fantasy setting worked so well! The story was short but intense and I was sucked in from the start! Great premise, great execution, and another binge-worthy author added to the list!

Your Two Better Halves by Carlos Hernandez: This was an interactive story and it was so much fun! Readers could have various different endings, and I enjoyed trying all of them. I only wish I didn’t have an ebook of this one, as it made it difficult to flip back and forth. Overall, a fun read!

Old Twelvey Night by Gwendolyn N. Nix: What an interesting concept! I will never look at apple trees the same way again. I fell for the writing, the ambiance, and the characters in this story. Everything was well-developed; I just wanted more! Great unique concept and characters I really connected with!

The Storyteller by David Bowles: This was a very sweet and heartwarming tale. It fits perfectly in the scope of a short story, leaving things open-ended for the reader’s imagination.

The Middle: Stories that were Okay

Or Perhaps Up by C.S.E. Cooney: This story grew on me, but I didn’t fully understand the worldbuilding or its attempts at speaking about life and death.

The Last Home of Master Tranquil Cloud by Minsoo Kang: Interesting story, I liked the feminist themes it had. However, there was a lot of telling vs showing that stopped me from connecting with the characters.

The Seal-Woman’s Tale by Alethea Kontis: I would probably have liked this story if it weren’t for the plethora of plot holes. It’s one of my pet peeves and while I can forgive a couple, there were just too many for me to enjoy this story fully.

The Cons: Stories that didn’t work

The Tooth Fairies by Glenn Parris; This was a case of wanting more than the story gave. The premise was intriguing, but the characters had no personality to them (except one was annoyingly repetitive). If I had been given just a bit more backstory, something to root for, I would probably have liked it.

Glamour by Grey Yuen: An interesting interpretation of changeling children, but there was so much unexplained! I needed to understand more to really love this story, and the details just weren’t there. All in all, a confusing read.

Take Only Photos by Shanna Swendson: The plot was okay here, but I didn’t like the main character. She was too aloof and I just didn’t care for her – and so, I didn’t care about the story.

Summer Skin by Zin E. Rocklyn: Another case of intriguing premise but not enough detail. This was a darker tale than most, and it could have been very creepy. But it needed more of a backstory to hold it up and I was disappointed by that.

Colt’s Tooth by Linda Roberston: In this case, the story was too short for me to be invested. Everything happened so quickly and I didn’t feel satisfied with the setup or the conclusion of the tale.

Well, there you have it! A break-down of my thoughts on every single story that was a part of this anthology collection! It was actually a very fun reading experience and I am definitely going to try reading more anthologies from here on out! Overall, I’m giving this 3/5 stars.
Well this was lovely anthology. Such and odd but welcome surprise to come across a multiple choice story. Ooh wish those would become published more often in books. Favorite was. All super good but my favorite
Or Perhaps up by S. E. Cooney
Some stories were great, others not so much.

Highlights would have to include McGuire, Hines and Hernandez.

All were about the Fair Folk in one way or another, whether from humam perspectives or the fae themselves.

If youre a fan of fairies, i would definitely recommend giving it a chance
I loved this collection of stories! It was the perfect combination of familiar and strange folklore and fairytales. I enjoyed every bit of it.
3.5 stars overall.

An anthology about faeries and hidden creatures? Count me in! "Where the veil is thin" has 14 stories with only one author (Seanan McGuire) known to me. As always with anthologies, I enjoyed some of the stories a lot while others fell short. The book begins with a story I mostly enjoyed featuring tooth fairies and then continues with an interesting short that includes my favorite Tam Lin. McGuire's story, which features a unicorn in Target follows and then come a few of the stronger stories in the collection "Or perhaps", "Don't let go",  "The loophole", and "The last home of Master Tranquil Cloud"  all of which I enjoyed and found engaging. After these stories is a choose your own adventure short story which I found amusing but not particularly memorable. "Take only photos" and "Old Twelvey Night" were also only mildly interesting to me and honestly, the other story I really enjoyed toward the end of the book was "The seal woman's tale,"  though the "Storyteller" was heartwarming. Overall, I enjoyed a little over half the stories and found a few new authors to check out.
I couldn't connect with most of the stories, although the folklore influence was there along with good ideas. It seemed many of them were longer than they should and didn't make me feel much interest in what was happening. I only liked the stories by Parris, McGuire, Kang, and Swendson.
'Where the Veil Is Thin' is a rather dark faerie anthology edited by Alana Joli Abbot and Cerece Rennie Murphy and featuring other names like Seanan McGuire, C.S.E. Cooney, David Bowles, Minsoo King, and many more.

The stories contained with in are far from the whimsical tales of children, but they're born of tales from around the world. Some benevolent, others.. well, some things just barely out of sight.. existing on the periphery of our world.. are best left there.

I eagerly began this collection, in part.. because I'd never read anything from Seanan McGuire, but I'd heard great things about her. The introduction at the forefront of the book.. however, from Jim C. Hines, absolutely set the atmosphere as he spoke of harmless stories we learn as children.. things like the trading of a tooth for money under our pillows in the night, then drew those ideas together with what many of us have become accustomed to reading as adults.. the risks included when we engage in a fairy bargain. And.. let's face it, that's exactly what the tooth fairy trade-off is.. a bargain.

It's funny that as I've read dark fae stories over the years and learned some of the rules, incur no debts with thanks and apologies, don't enter into bargains if you cannot fully see all the possibilities left out of the structure of wording, and never eat things provided by them.. especially across the veil in their world.. I never really sat back and connected them with those childhood experiences.

The first couple of stories were admittedly, mildly interesting perspectives on the old tales, but the anthology did indeed begin to pick up when I reached McGuire's offering.

'See A Fine Lady' was such an unorthodox story right from the start. Set in our very modern world, not just the urban space.. but literally a Target store, an employee sees a most extraordinary thing. Attempting to get closer, to convince herself she isn't crazy, things only become more bizarre. A seemingly simple decision made leads to a much more complex situation.

My favorite story in the collection is 'Or Perhaps Up' by C.S.E. Cooney. I had never heard of her before, but Wikipedia states she's best known for her fantasy poetry and short stories and has won the Rhysling Award for her poem 'The Sea King's Second Bride' and the World Fantasy Award--Collection for 'Bone Swans.

It feels almost tragic that I've never read anything penned by her before, as she writes with an ethereal mixture of hope and despair that tugs right at my heart. I seldom become so invested in a short story as I did with this one. She managed within just a few pages to make me care deeply for each of her characters and I love the world she created. This story and this author were an unexpected gem buried within the pages for me.

Another highlight was 'Don't Let Go' by Alana Joli Abbott which delves into a side of Nordic lore I don't see often and mixing it seamlessly with Celtic legends I knew well. The story which seems to start off so lightly, progresses into a darkness with a glimpse of shadow and then small, subtle movements until you are desperately hopeful and fearful at once.

There are plenty of wonderful stories in this anthology and if you enjoy short stories, you should definitely pick it up. I have a couple of others that really stood out for me.. like 'The Loophole' by L. Penelope and 'The Seal-Woman's Tale' by Alethea Kontis. One is surprisingly sweet and the other borders on the horrible in spots, but both will leave an indelible impression on the reader.. and I loved them.
Title: Where the Veil is Thin
Release Date: 7.7.2020
Review Date: 7.27.2020

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a pretty fun anthology. Overall I enjoyed most of them. I have been getting more into anthologies lately and this one has more enjoyable stories than not. I did skip the multiple choice story where you had to jump all over the place depending on your decision but other than that one I liked all the stories in it.
Like with any short story collection you will find some stories that will resonate with the reader. And some will not. I will say that most of these were quaint (not bad or great), but just fine. I did like the stories written by Glen Parns, Seanan McGuire, and Minsoo Kang.

If I had to tell any potential readers anything is that, there are some fairly loose interpretations of fae here. Expect light hearted, somber, fantastical, surrealist, horror, all of the above. At least there will be something for every reader to enjoy.
I received an eARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This had an eclectic group of short stories all themed with dark undercurrents. Some of those unfortunately didn't resonate with me, be it due to storyline or writing style.

But if I had to pick a stand out, for me it was See A Fine Lady by Seanan McGuire. It was funny, unexpected and relatable.

Fans of quirky, kooky and spooky short stories may find a hidden gem or two amongst this collection. From tooth fairies, to ghosts to unicorns, there is a story for everyone.
Short stories, fairy tales, whatever....this collection delves into the world of the fae (fairies). As with so many compilations, there are good and bad stories.

"Colt's Tooth' was probably the standout for me. The others are good but this is the one I remember the most.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book.
A solid and fairly enjoyable collection. I picked up this one thanks to recognizing a few familiar names, like Seanan McGuire and L. Penelope, and enjoyed them. The weakest link was the Hernandez story, which makes reading it in e-format completely useless, because flipping back and forth and navigating is much harder. However, I did like the wide variety of fae stories covered by  the group of authors as a whole.
You can't ask for a better compilation of authors and stories. The cover art is also intriguing! It gave me insight into authors I wouldn't otherwise read.
Thank you NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for a honest review!

Where the Veil is Thin has a bunch of novellas within the category of fairies. I did enjoy some of them, especially; Don't Let Go by Alana Joli Abbott, The Loophole by L. Penelope and The Seal Woman's Tale by Alethea Kontis. But for the other ones I found them a bit hard to get in to and sometimes very confused over what really happened. Some of the novellas just went straight over my head and I was like a question mark once I finished it. But the three I mentioned were so good and I can't wait to see what books the authors have out so I can dive in to their books.

Would recommend for you who like dark fairytales and storys, and do enjoy anthologies.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Outland Entertainment and the authors in this anthology, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of  Where The Thin Veil Is in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
Such  beautifully done cover artwork really draws the eye. Very mystical.
The stories themselves were really good and entertaining.  3.5 stars.
Worth a read.
Love love love thus book! This is definitely a one for the library and one for me type of book. The stories are full of magic and I wish to reread them over and over. The cover is magical and has an air of mystery.