Cover Image: HE WILL GET YOU

HE WILL GET YOU

A brilliant serial killer thriller! This is my first Gallagher read and I’d love to read more by him. It kept me guessing until the end, and the final revelation was excellent. Would highly recommend this to admirers of the thriller/crime genre.
This is the fifth in the series Maddie Ives and holds its own quite well as a stand alone with lively characters and jaw dropping police procedural action.
I've read only one other book by Charlie Gallagher and enjoyed that equally as well as He Will Get You so I'm pleased to announce that this book is gripping and chilling all at the same time.
It begins with Lance a serial killer determined to make his mark in the world but in a horrific way.
Several victims are in the crosshairs of this loon and sadly he's not down taking aim at his highest target yet.
It's truly a race to the finish to get this man and bring him in dead or alive.
Thank you to Charlie, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

3.5 Hearts This is the 5th in the series but I have not read any so I could tell that I was missing something in the background of the characters but that did not take away from the suspense. But it did take a way a bit from the characters.

This story is a bit different. We actually know “who-dun-it” but we are not exactly sure the motive. And Lance Askew is a sick man. He likes to watch the mayhem he causes. He wants to see the devastated family. He wants the cops to keep looking for him while he enjoys his game. He was almost cringe-worthy.

I had a bit of a hard time with the murders. I like a good suspense book but have never been into the gore, I guess you could say and this book really kind of has that. There is so much detail I sometimes skipped over the details of the murder. The psychological side was a bit unnerving but intense which left me wanting to know why.

I think you need to be into the genre to enjoy it.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
The opening chapters promise a gripping read with murders and a gangster arranging how to avenge the murder of his son. The police are also left busy trying to work out who was behind the murder one of their own - an investigating sergeant, while the gangster employs, against the advice of one of his henchmen, to use a particular contract killer. This man, who although had a very good reputation in being efficient, has now slipped into the “unhinged” category, enjoying his job a little more than necessary and going overboard with his techniques.

Unperturbed, the gangster gives him the job and so Lance Askew gleefully begins the start of his contract. And he has an elaborate plan to ensure that no trails of the final hit lead back to any association with the gangster.
From here the story follows and concentrates on the police investigation as Lance gets on with his job, leaving a bloody and gruesome trail behind him and Detectives Maddie Ives and her boss, Harry are the ones trying to solve the meticulously set up crimes.

I’m not going any further with the plot as it would give too much away being as the story is quite complicated and involves several plot lines. The contract killer uses some very clever and original ways of removing his victims and does it in such a particular and chilling way to ensure maximum distress for the victims’ families. It is dark and creepy but very well done.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen more involvement from the gangster thread, which didn’t figure into the storyline as much as I would have liked, or from how I felt it would judging from the first part of the book, but being as apparently this is the 5th book in the series, I suspect all of them surround cases that DS Ives is involved in. Neither did I like that this was yet another book that threw in a particular terminal illness on a couple of characters. (This tactic and illness is used in 99% of books or films and never EVER fails in spoiling the read to a large extent for me because there are other illnesses!)
Aside from that, overall the book is a good well-written read with some great twists.
A gangster hires Lance to exact revenge upon a policeman because of the death of his son.  Lance states he will do a series of murders, specifically serial killings, to create confusion for the detectives.
    The gruesome murders are left for loved ones to discover.   Similarities help the detectives piece together the clues.
    The detective Maddie Ives is in four other books by the author.   Her background, relatives and co-workers are mentioned;  this left me at a loss.
    I would have enjoyed this novel better as a stand-alone.
HE WILL GET YOU by Charlie Gallagher. Interesting premise. Found it repetitive in reviewing the details in the cases so it was hard to maintain an interest in the story. The killer was beyond creepy and made reading his inner-dialog hard to read. Police procedural fans will not doubt find the book interesting, just not my cup of tea.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Captivating, suspenseful, entertaining novel! This beautiful story kept me on the edge of my seat while I was reading it! Would highly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.
My thanks to Joffe Books, the author, Charlie Gallagher and Netgalley.
This is a story that I've pondered over the last day or so. Truth is that I liked this book enough to drop any other book I was reading.
Still, something was missing. The deaths are gruesome. Normally, I appreciate that! This time? Honestly, for me, they came very close to my thin line.
I thought it was a really good to nearly excellent book. That last bit though. Shit, that was a low blow. I didn't like it. It could have been pulled off earlier, and maybe gotten away with. But, no. I was sickened and upset. Really upset.
I would love to say this book sucked rocks. It didntt. It's a damned good story. But, damn.
This was such a gripping and unpredictable read! I typically don't like detective based thrillers, but this one is one of the better ones I have read. Definitely recommend to anyone who is into crime/detective novels!
Another fantastic book by Charlie, I could not put this book down once I started reading. I was not expecting the shock at the end.
I am looking forward to reading more in the future
Wasn't my type of book. I finished it, but I struggled. It was well written but not my kind of story. Would recommend to someone else though.
Terrific Crime Thriller!

Maddie Ives is the head DI assigned to a case where a brutal murder has taken place without any incriminating evidence left on the scene.   As her team is investigating neighbors or any possible witnesses another body is discovered with almost the identical crime scene and Maddie fears there is a serial killer in their midst.   In the meantime her dear friend Vince who is also on the police force is out on mandatory leave due to his partner being shot in and unsolved shooting and is suffering from depression.   What no one knows is that Vince will play a key and crucial part in the case Maddie is currently investigating and if they don't figure out what  this case is about soon, many more lives may be lost.

This was a very good crime story and is a stand-alone read, although there were some areas that I wish I had read some previous books in the series just so I could have a better grasp of some of the relationships among the  characters.   With that said, I now want to read those other books which I consider a compliment to the author Charley Gallagher.   There was great character interplay and a solid storyline.   I highly recommend this book to other readers.

I want to thank the publisher "Joffe Books" and Netgalley for this terrific ARC and any thoughts and opinions are mine alone!

I have given this crime thriller a rating of 4 Solid 🌟🌟🌟🌟 Stars!!
MY REVIEW

The Plot of Story is intense yet interesting. Storyline is engaging throughout. I loved the Writing Style of Charlie, simple and straightforward. It’s a fast paced novel with presence of what next element in every chapter, which kept me intrigued all the time. Narration is in the first person POV, with different characters speaking in different sections of a chapter. This really helped to get perspective of what was going on in the mind of Killer, Victim and Cops.

Characters were portrayed in a simple yet effective way. I can almost relate to each of them, and their emotions and feelings. Especially, I liked DS Maddie Ives and PC Vince, I would love to hang out with them for their great sense of humour.

If the book was good, then Climax just added a few stars to it. It was so Unpredictable and interesting. No doubt it’s the best thriller, I’ve read in 2020.

OVERALL

Overall, this is one of the best thriller out there about psychopath serial killer with some great writing by author to keep you at the edge all the time.
Wow,  quite the read!!    Without giving anything away, the beginning is very intriguing, and it really draws you in.  His characters are so well described and the dialog makes it seem as though you are in the scenes at times. I intend to read the other books in this series since the plot in this one is so well thought out and written..
Another fantastic read from a very good author. Pacy, gritty and sad, it has all the attributes for a cracking story. I love the characters and I think this series is a must read. #NetGalley#HEWILLGETYOU
The fifth installment in the Maddie Ives series and it's every bit as good as as the first. It can be read as a stand alone too. This book was engrossing, addictive and gruesome as well as authentic. I love the writing style and the character development as Maddie hunts for a ruthless killer. We know the killer's identity from the start in this book but I was gripped from the first page to the last. I would love to see this as a TV series. Well written by a hugely popular author, definitely becoming my favourite. Thanks to Net Galley and Joffe Books for my ARC. I highly recommend Charlie Gallagher's books.
He Will Get You by Charlie Gallagher
Detective Madde Ives #5

A policeman dead
A father who wants his son’s death avenged
A fiendish killer who loves his job
Detectives called to a murder scene
Hints about who will be next
Looking through the eyes of the murderer
Imagining “What IF”

This book was intense, dark and gritty as it told of death, destruction of lives and how the police went about trying to find the killer. It kept me interested from beginning to end.

What I liked:
* Maddie: She was focused, smart and capable – would like to learn more about her in the past and future books
* The plotting, pace and writing of the story
* That the story was believable
* Police procedural aspects of the story
* Glimpses of the lives of the police officers and how they were not free of personal worries – also their camaraderie and ability to care for one another on and off of the job
* How Maddie dealt with her parents – I don’t know that entire part of her past but what I heard sounded ugly
* The way I cared about the characters
* Reading a new author that I hope to read again in the future
* All of it except…

What I did not like:
* The loss of innocent lives
* Alexander Mason and his need for revenge
* Lance Askew – evil fiend without any redeeming traits
* Having to wait to see what will happen next.

Coming into this series on book five was fine. I probably missed some information on Maddie, Vince, Harry and some others but it did not impact my enjoyment of this book. And, I did enjoy it and look forward to reading more by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
Another of my favourite authors and boy what a page turner. The fifth book in the Maddie Ives series and the best in the series so far. A serial killer who lives to see the destruction he has caused up close. He is known as the Tax Man and he loves what he does. Gritty and hard hitting. A tour de force of a crime thriller which I devoured in one sitting. Kept me glued to my seat and kept my heart racing. A first rate crime thriller. If you want a brutal, authentic, gritty and must read crime thriller then this is the author and Book for you!!!!!!
Thanks to Joffre Books and Netgalley for the ARC.
This is the fifth book in the series featuring DS Maddie Ives and DI Harry Blaker based in Canterbury, and it's an excellent addition to the series. At the start of the series DS Maddie Ives had been working undercover in Manchester for years until disobeying orders meant that she had to move right across the country to a Major Crimes posting in Langhorne in the south east, leaving behind a lover she wasn't even supposed to have due to his connections to a criminal gang. Then a nasty shoot out injured her boss DI Harry Blaker and put him out of action for months and her back into CID, and once reunited they have since worked some nasty cases. One of Harry's daughters is now living with him and his adopted dog, and Maddie has moved on from her past, throwing herself into the job that she loves. Back for good in Major Crimes they face possibly their most disturbing case yet. Good solid reliable PC Vince Arnold has just had a very near miss, being held up by an armed man who shot and killed his partner. Now on sick leave he is seriously considering his future. Another man was also killed in the incident and his criminal gang family want revenge, seeking the help of someone known only as the Tax Man - he never fails to collect. And boy, does he enjoy his work! Firstly in a Canterbury cafe the lady owner gets a strange message from a customer to say he has killed her son and partner. She rushes home to find police have already been called to the devastating scene. A second victim is found by his wife the very next day, the crime scene once again set up to shock and horrify the person who discovers it. The MO is identical and the detectives realise that they could well have a serial killer on their hands just starting his reign of terror. Finding a motive for the deaths proves hard and witness statements appear conflicting. Without some positive leads they will struggle to identify a suspect and time could well be running out for the next victim. A man who gets so much pleasure from killing will prove to be the hardest to stop. The characters are very well described, and the detectives get ever more likeable as the series moves on. Harry still growls quite a bit (although he does occasionally show a softer side) and Maddie is her usual tenacious self, but recent events have hit Vince hard and the love/hate relationship between him and Maddie is sadly missing. Like the other books in this series, the plot is fast and exciting as the story culminates in a shocking ending that has far-reaching consequences for all involved. Another excellent and thoroughly engrossing read from a clearly very knowledgeable author which I have no hesitation in recommending. Personally I can't wait to read the next book to see how they come back from this. 5*
Another great book in the Maddie Ives series. A tense psychological thriller that keeps you gripped from the first page. It was a great twist that you find out who is the culprit first before you find out the why. This book can be read as a stand-alone but I would recommend reading the series in order as they are so good, especially in light of the current situation. I highly recommend this series.