Cover Image: Hidden Bones

Hidden Bones

This book may be a bit hard to understand at first for those who don’t realize that this is part of a series. I’ll admit that this was why I selected this book after being reeled in from Kindle First a year ago when I picked the first one.

Of course I had to know what was next. I was left a bit let down. The mystery was great but I didn’t need the inclusion of a third person to this crime fighting duo.

It was still a good read and fun for those who love mystery series such as this one.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book was such a disappointment! I have not read book #1 so I don't know if that affected my opinion. This book is wordy and skips all over place, unable to keep track of what's happening when and with whom. I'm sure there are others in the reading world that will make up for my dislike. I WAS UNABLE TO FINISH THIS BOOK! 📚
#NetGalley #ThomasandMercer #HiddenBones

"Careful, it sounds like you’re starting to drink the Kool-Aid,”

Hidden Bones by Vivian Barz was an ok read. I thought it was written pretty well and flowed easily from one page to the next once it started moving. There were the main characters: Susan, a police officer, Eric, a psychic professor, and Jake, a former student of the professor.

I enjoyed how the the main characters worked together to solve the mystery. I thought they interacted on a personal level. I liked the setting, in a town called Clancy, in rural Washington.  I found it quite interesting, and frankly kind of creepy how the townspeople were so unwelcoming to them. I also really enjoyed the character Eric who was just beginning to come to accept his 'psychic' gift.

With that being said, this one did not do it for me. I felt it had so much potential but ultimately fell kind of flat.

Overall, I would recommend Hidden Bones, by Vivian Barz to mystery lovers who enjoy a light and easy quick read. It was just not for me. This was my first book by the author and I would be willing to try another.
This had too much of a paranormal tone for me to enjoy.  It wasn't what I expected and I was disappointed.
I think I would have enjoyed this more had I read the first book.  Susan, a police officer, and Eric, a college professor with mental health issues and an ability to see the dead, think they are going to have a nice relaxing break when they join their friend Jake and his band on a road trip of sorts to Washington State.  Unfortunately, once they get to Clancy, Eric starts to see things, Jake's mates disappear, and well, the story got a little nuts for me.  Those who have read the first book likely will be pleased to see these characters develop but I kept feeling as though I was missing something.  Thanks to Netgalley for the Arc.  A rare pass from me but you might feel differently.
The second in a series and as always in mystery series the case is solved within each book, but there is character development of the investigators and the characters that carry from book to book, so I suggest going back and starting with book one in this series before going ahead and reading this one.

Police officer Susan Marlan and professor Eric Evans return and in this book they are fully in a relationship and still trying to come down from the excitement that took place in book one.  They get invited on a road trip along with a band to help cart around equipment, but drama will begin after the first concert on this intended road trip.  Band members go missing, this small town gives off weird vibes and professor Eric Evans starts having the horrible visions that he had in book one.

I am liking this series as it feels different from the many other mystery/thrillers that I read.  They can be a little gory with the professor's visions having dead people in it "talking" to him, but it is by no means the goriest thing I have read.  This one felt as though it came together a little too quickly in the last few pages, but I still liked it.

I will read the next one in the series when it arrives.
“Hidden Bones” is an enjoyable sequel to Barz’s creepy debut, “Forgotten Bones.”  Fans will be pleased with this mystery about a small town with a deadly, evil secret.  Eric Evans is a unique hero who sees the ghosts of murder victims.  They seek him out for justice.  Eric must fight a most diabolical villain in this very suspenseful mystery.  “Hidden Bones” is great summer reading for fans of supernatural horror.

For a copy of my complete review, please see the August edition of www.Gumshoe.com.
Schizophrenia, crazy or seeing the dead? I had not read book one, and apparently I am one of the few who had issues.  I was lost.  Then as I started grasping the premise and plot I enjoyed it much more. Still got lost on all the faces and people, I had to reread some sections a couple of times.  I didn't guess the ring leader but I did guess one of her helpers, it was just to obvious to me, following under the two good to be true.  It did pull on some heart strings when we find out more about the Sheriff and how that played out. I am curious if the next book will play out more about Susan, and if Eric helps out.  That being said I would read book 3.  There was potential for me.  Thank you Thomas and Mercer, NetGalley and Vivian Barz for the arc, expanding my world.  I freely volunteer my thoughts and opinions.
I haven't read previous books and i didn't realize that it's a series.. but i liked that i could read it without needing to read previous books, of course I would love to read the previous one so I can understand better some reference in this book.
Definitely it would be nice if the author would give little bit more information about previous cases in the next books. It's easier to have more reader's if they feel that they don't need to read every book by the author.
Still the book was good,it grab me from the start.. good story, a lot of twists "charming" characters that you can follow easy and interesting ending.

Big thank you to NetGalley and the publisher.
Great story.  Wish I would have read the first story in series before this one.  Although the story is independent from the first it would have given more back ground into the characters.
A three person band and a couple of friends head to a small town to play a set.  Once they arrive they discover a very unfriendly reception.  The town's people are almost hostile.  Two of the band members have disappeared, along with quite a few towns people.  What's going on in third-party little town.
Susan and Eric are back for an another instalment.  Not long after surviving a killer in their hometown, Susan and Erin embark on a road trip with Eric’s friends and band mates.  Something is not right in Clancy and 2 band mates disappear.  Eric’s abilities point to more misdemeanours.
Having recently read the first book which was excellent , this one started with a gripping plot but then flattened out.
Extremely intense and a wee bit grisly, well written with great characters and an electrifying storyline. It seems like poor Eric is not only slow on picking up clues but he is also a reluctant medium, he sees and talks to dead people. Poor fella thinks he’s going nuts, what a hoot. He and his friends have landed smacked dab into a town from the twilight zone, where the drug kingpin rules with brutal and deadly force. Folks have been disappearing in this creepy hallow, but when Eric and Susan’s friends disappear, things started to get even scarier. What a gripping ride, the thrill factors will keep you on your toes and biting your nails, a great read.
I picked up this book without realizing that it was the second in a series. The storyline frequently referenced events at Death Farm and I waited for an explanation which never came. Now I realize that the Death Farm events took place in a previous book but I think there could have been some recap for a reader new to the series.
The partnership between Susan and Eric seemed more professional than romantic to me, so I had a hard time finding that aspect believable.
On the positive side, I found the story interesting and the twists were unexpected. Things wrapped up cleanly, though there is still a possibility for future spinoffs, which I would try reading.
Imagine having a gift for seeing the dead? Kind of creepy but nevertheless it's unique.
Now imagine a chilly prologue with a corpse beneath a tree alluding to a previous work with a strong underlying tone that set the pace.
The deeply dark and disturbing scenery also helped solidify the case with Eric's murderous horrifying visions.
Locating the lost and uncovering the secrets is like opening Pandora's box because many of the locals aren't talkative.
What may become of this trio set up for justice is anyone's guess but it's a rapid fire design that's sure to entice the senses to the reader's delight.
Thank you to Vivian, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
I didn’t realize this is book 2 of a series, though it was easy to follow I would have preferred to have read in order. That said I was quite intrigued with the story, it’s fast paced and suspenseful. There’s a few twists some predictable. Overall a good read in one sitting. Thanks to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ebook ARC. This is my honest review.
Susan and Eric follow their musician friend Jake and his band to Washington State. But once they reach the cheerless town of Clancy, Eric’s murderous visions start again. Something seems wrong about the town and its aloof citizens—and suspicions turn to dread when members of Jake’s band go missing.
Eric, Susan, and Jake search deep in the dark forest of the Olympic Peninsula, where many have disappeared. But the harder they search, the less cooperative the locals become. As the case begins looking more like a murder investigation, the trio must work together to locate the lost and uncover chilling town secrets buried in the darkest of places.

The book started off so good! The prologue had me hooked but it just went downhill from there. This is the second book in this series and is NOT a standalone. I was so lost on half of the stuff with Eric and Susan because there was literally no backstory to help from book one to two. I felt that the 'visions' and seeing the dead stuff either needed to be amplified or just taken away; I just didn't feel it enough.
The story line was pretty good and if it had been written differently or more fully it would have been an incredible read. However, the end just left me hanging with the story. Like how was Gus in this whole thing? Who was the Sheriff's son? Where did Darla go? Or What happened to Darla? So many questions left unanswered.
Hidden Bones is my first book by this author and is the second book in a series but I did not have trouble catching up with the gist of the original story.  On leave after a horrible past case, police officer Susan Marlan and college professor Eric Evans are looking for a good time by following their friend's band to a small town called Clancy for a concert. Eric is struggling to decide if he believes in his psychic like premonitions or to contribute the things he sees to his schizophrenia. The town of Clancy is steeped in secrets and its people are not welcoming. The forest seems to make people disappear. The suspense is good and the story flows quickly but I find the ending annoying as all get out. The whodunit is so obvious its like watching the Scooby gang unmask the bad guy for the  protagonists to finally figure it all out, not real great for a hotshot cop and a psychic. Overall, I liked the characters but I wished the psychic bit was played up a bit more but I would read more in this series. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.
I did like this book just not as much as book 1. You really need to read book 1 to be able to know about both Eric and Susan and what happened to them in book 1. I happy to know they are still together and working through everything. They decide to take a little vacation and watch Jake's band on the road. The vacation brings them to a strange small town. I think if Susan joins the FBI her stories will be a lot more interesting. I feel this is a book that is going to bridge book one to what is to come for Eric and Susan. Still and enjoyable and interesting book. I really look forward to the next book.

*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review.*
This is book 2 in the series (I read and reviewed book 1 previously on netgalley). Sad to say, this one didn’t do it for me. Whether I’ve read too much between book 1 and 2, or I forgot too much of book 1 ... I didn’t care for the characters at all this time. The paranormal aspect was too much - it seemed irrelevant - just something added that was unnecessary. It didn’t really add any dynamic to the characters or the storyline, if anything, it took away from the story.

That being said, I think the story itself has lots of potential. I figured out the villain early on so not much of a surprise there, Unfortunately, for me, this book was just ok. I probably will not continue to read this series.

Can’t like them all. Thank you #netgalley and #thomasandmercer for the eARC.
This second book in the series sees Eric and Susan on a road trip with Jake and his band. They end up in a small town that gives new definition to the word creepy. When a couple members of the band go missing things ratchet up. The tension and suspense surrounding the mystery is fast paced and the locals all look guilty. There were a couple twists I didn't see coming.

There has been a lot of character growth since book one. I really enjoyed the fact that Jake was featured more in this story. Eric isn't bogged down by his past with his ex. Seeing Susan grapple with the reality of her last case and the fallout made her more relatable. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go next.