Cover Image: The White Coat Diaries

The White Coat Diaries

HOLY HELL THAT WAS INTENSE. I went into this thinking it was a rom com (because cover) and NOPE. Not that at all. I was totally sucked in though and am now convinced that I don’t ever want to seek medical care again because the entire medical field is so dysfunctional and WHY DO THEY TREAT MED STUDENTS AND INTERNS LIKE THAT???

but seriously, if you want a very cynical look at the inside of a hospital, crack this open and settle in. I was horrified and absolutely riveted.
In The White Coat Diaries, we are transported to a world filled with medical terms, diagnosis, and the life of a working woman. Through the life of Norah Kadapia, we are shown her world in the beginning as an intern at a hospital, learning the ropes of what it would truly take to become a doctor.

But, along the way, we are given drama, complications, and a burst of emotions in which a doctor must face. Luckily for Norah, with the help of resident Dr. Ethan Cantor, she is able to gain insight and a deeper understanding of life as a doctor.

I gave The White Coat Diaries three stars, liking the way we got an introduction with how an intern lives and works. Through the life of Norah Kadapia, I felt that it was so easy to feel her emotions run through me. I felt connected to her and I could see how much of her character shown through the words. I found the relationship between Norah and Ethan quite interesting, quite enjoying how even though they had a romance, in some ways, I'm glad that the focus of The White Coat Diaries was not on her relationship with Ethan and her properly ending up with Ethan. I did however find it quite interesting to read as the synopsis on Goodreads had mentioned that The White Coat Diaries was romance focused, however, it didn't feel that way.

I found that while reading The White Coat Diaries, it was a little messy. While I know that this was showing the life of doctors and interns, it wasn't the story I found messy, it was more the writing style that made me uncomfortable. I felt that everywhere I read, I was focusing on ten different things at once. It made me confused for majority of the part and I just felt all over the place while reading this.

That being said, I did enjoy the growth Norah went through during the whole book and I liked how she became such a strong doctor and growing throughout the book. I feel like in some ways, I got a little bit more of an understanding toward doctors, nurses, and the interns and students that are hoping to one day become doctors.
DNF 21%

I didn’t connect with any of the characters or the story line. I wasn’t feeling the medical part of the story. It wasn’t interesting to me. Nora’s mom was very annoying. I just couldn’t continue.
The author comes from a medical background, and it shows in the authenticity of her description of life in a hospital emergency department.
Norah Kapadia has worked hard throughout college and medical school to achieve her dream of becoming a doctor. In spite of the sleep deprivation and often grumpy patients, she is happy, except maybe when her parents continue to push her to be the perfect “Indian daughter.”
I think many of us forget that when doctors graduate from medical school, that the upcoming years of residency are also meant for learning. Mistakes can still happen, and Norah has her share, most of them easily fixable, but when she is faced with an unethical situation, her decisions may come back to haunt her.
The book was OK, but not one that I’d go out of my way to read.
This felt a little like watching Grey's Anatomy - a show which I love - or The Resident - another show I definitely love. The one downside to it was that I felt a little worried about seeking any medical treatment now, now being more aware of the crazy errors or overworked nature of those in the medical profession.

I didn't care for the ending but it definitely made sense. I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more like it.
My library currently owns this book.  While I enjoyed it, I didn't like it as a much as I thought I would.
Did not finish, was hard to read through.

The author also proved problematic after attacking a reviewer for their honest opinion.

You could be the juiciest ripest peach, and someone is still not going to like peaches.
Norah Kapadia is an intern at Philadelphia General - and it pretty much sucks. The book takes us through her intern year from her terrible first day to her relationship with her resident, Ethan, to the death of a patient to family issues. I really enjoyed this. I’m now feeling completely justified in never wanting to go to med school. This is women’s fiction not a romance like I normally read, and I really enjoyed the departure. There’s a little romance, but it definitely isn’t the star of the show.
My Review:
I started it before we planned our big international move but the nonengaging storyline made me put it down then I have a very big reading slump and so I didn’t pick it up again. This time I finished the book within 2 days. The storyline is the most interesting one but it has so many sickening details !! unless you have a good tolerance to the hospital’s gory details and a little bit of curiosity about a doctor’s life you can’t finish it! kudos to the author for this detailed sneak peek at a medical graduate’s life, I enjoyed the story. Seriously I felt doctors are much-underappreciated after reading this. Hats off to their service, if the story’s motive is just to make us realize this, then it definitely won on that aspect. But I hate the final chapters, it’s more of a drama for me than realistic and I really hate the way it ends. Otherwise, if you have good resistance to any bloody details about the human body and other things doctors doing it’s worth the read!! I recommend it!

Thoughts while reading:
The Indian aspect of the story is very well-formed. It’s a quite natural and believable story.img_8558
The nerd woman who established herself in the most difficult part of her life when being unsupported by her family is heart-wrenching but very entertaining too.img_8559
I hate the romance part of the story, the intelligent doctor who is logical about everything couldn’t figure out her relationship is irritating but still believable too! After all, love is blind isn’t it?img_8560
The politics of the medical field, how the doctors should be inhuman to survive here is very well explained and makes me wonder how much is this true?img_8561
The point where a character explained how the nurses would be head over heels for the orders from male doctors and how they won’t give a damn about female doctor’s orders made me cringe!! it may be true or may not be but still, women need to prove themselves no matter what?!! Hats off to all the women who are constantly proving themselves in this unequal women bullying world!
I was unable to finish this book. While I loved the writing and story that it was developing, there was just too much hospital/doctor description for me that it made me queasy (needles, blood, etc). This is obviously just because I have a phobia of such things and in no way reflects my thoughts on the book overall.

I really enjoyed the characters and I really wanted to see where the story lead, however I needed to stop reading.
The synopsis of Grey’s Anatomy meets Scrubs sold me and that’s all I needed go dive in with The White Coat Diaries.

I love any medical tv drama but have only read a handful of medical drama books. I’m always so fascinated by the behind-the-scenes workings that go on in a hospital.

Overall I found this to be an enjoyable read, and Norah was a great character, thrown into the world of medicine as a resident. I also thought the family dynamics that parallel with Norah’s life of self discovery with her blooming career were enjoyable to watch unfold.

*many thanks to Berkley and Netgalley for the gifted copy for review. All opinions are my own
Every year, suffering Grey’s Anatomy fans are promised that this season, the series will return to the light-hearted funny show it was when it first premiered. And every year, people end up dying, leaving town abruptly for fan-hated exes, getting addicted to drugs, etc. Then after the season finale, we are promised next year will be the light and funny one. It’s a vicious circle that Grey’s fans can’t escape. The White Coat Diaries, which is pitched as Grey’s Anatomy meets Scrubs, will remind Grey’s fans of the roller coaster ride the show has put us on. Madi Sinha’s debut novel mostly delivers on the promise of the pitch. But three-quarters of the way through, it becomes a darker book.

For the complete review, click on the link below.
The White Coat Diaries is a compelling mix of medicine, self-discovery, romance, and family drama. A tough combo to pull off but Madi Sinha clearly knows her territory, as a doctor and writer, and as a reader, we really go along on the rounds. The hospital setting leads to comparisons to Scrubs or other medical soaps, and that's apt. But the writing has a depth and quality that make the characters last longer than a 30-minute episode. We root for, we cringe with and we get all the feels from Norah, our main character, an intense, driven medical intern with a demanding and perennially disappointed Indian mother, a charming BFF, and several romantic prospects.. Norah makes the mistakes of any 26-year-old, but her 'mistakes' have life or death consequences. Great set up for self-discovery.   Does Norah get a  Happily Ever After? You'll have to read it and see. I only wish this book had a better/different title. The "Diaries" construct is played out and this book is not diary-like in any way. The story deserved something fresher.
Sinha deftly combines medicine with romance in this heartfelt novel. I loved the peek into being a medical professional in all its joys and pains, but felt the plot was a bit slow in the beginning. It really picks up in the second half - a quick, enjoyable read!
White Coat Diaries by Madi Sinha is a 2020 Berkley publication.

Realistic medical drama

Norah Kapadia has just entered her residency, with a combination of excitement and nerves. Right off the bat, she makes a horrible mistake, magnifying her self-doubt. To complicate matters her family obligations tug at her, as do the many things in life she has yet to experience, causing her to second guess her career choice.

As time passes, Norah will live and learn, leading her to an ultimate crisis of conscience that will decide her future.

When I added this book to my reading list, the top genres Goodreads users placed the book in was 'contemporary romance/fiction', adding the word Medical into the mix, which gave the impression, this was a medical drama-ala Grey’s Anatomy, with some degree of romantic elements included.

Once I finished reading the book, my first thought was that it was mislabeled. A little digging on other sites shows the book categorized simply as 'Medical Fiction" which is a far more apt description- in my opinion.

As the saying goes- ‘Write what you know’- and that is what Madi Sinha has done here. As a medical professional she gives readers a close up and personal view of the drama that goes on behind the scenes in the lives of doctors and exposes hospital politics, some of which blur ethical lines.

The story is compelling on several levels- the cultural expectations Norah has to contend with, the intense pressures on health care professionals, the risks, the human mistakes and the coping mechanisms physicians use, as well as the enormous possibility of severe burnout- certainly gave me something to chew on.

Unfortunately, the drama depicted never grabbed me emotionally, nor did the characters. While I felt Norah’s frustrations, self-doubt, and her palpable crisis of conscience, no matter badly I wished for it, I didn’t find her character inspirational enough to worry about her or to root for her. I did see her character evolve as she goes from a green resident to a more wise, mature woman- which was a plus- and I did applaud the decisions she made at the end of the day.

The ending was also a bit ambiguous and I would have preferred an epilogue or something that hints at Norah's future contentment.

Overall, this book turned out to be a little different from what I was expecting. There is plenty of sudsy hospital theatre here, ala Grey’s Anatomy- as the blurb suggests- but it lacked the angst, urgency, and passion, I was craving.

Other than Norah, the characters are not especially likeable, and I hoped Norah would achieve healthier relationships, both personally and professionally.

Overall, despite the detachment I felt while reading this novel, I do think it is a solid debut. I did enjoy the authenticity the author brought to the table, and the insight into the medical profession, including the various factors that go into patient care- including the machinations of doctors and administrators, behind the scenes. It was interesting, to be sure.

3 stars

While I love Grey's, this book fell short for me. I was surprised that I was able to finish it. I feel like it was choppy and would just jump from point to point without much transition. It also exposed a side of medicine that I hope is not how people in hospitals are really treated and it made me really glad to have not gone to med school or want to pursue a career in medicine.

It was a quick read but not super enjoyable for me. Very thankful for both NetGally and Berkley Publishing for the ARC of this book.

It was a quick read but not super enjoyable for me.
This author has potential and this is her debut. I got excited to read it because it was presented as Scrubs meets Greys Anatomy and I have loved both of those shows. I was expecting a doctor's perspective on internship, maybe with some romance and comedy thrown in. However, I found the main character Norah to be so unlikeable until the end of the book, when she acted like a completely different person. It is possible that I found her unlikeable because she was portrayed as a timid, spineless woman in medicine and I wanted her to be more? It started off good and the end was good but the middle could do with some character development. I could not understand why women were portrayed so negatively (the resident sleeping her way to the top, the studious virgin willing to cover up her fling's mistakes, the flaky BFF willing to drop a friendship over a mistake.) The insurance aspect and the long hours of doctor training, as well as the substance use disorder issues I found to be believable. The pull between career and pleasing an immigrant parent also rang true and I related to this. I wish that the fight between the friends had been fleshed out more, as well as what happened with the work friend Stu, instead of just a "two years later.' The ending did not feel realistic to me, but I understand everyone deals differently with ethical dilemmas. But there were a lot of good parts and this is a debut, so I will read another book by this author to see if she grows as she perfects her craft.
Such a cute and fun read! Perfect distraction in life right now. Really enjoyable characters and story and hard to put down!
Norah Kapadia has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps to become a doctor. And now she's finally made it. For the next year, she'll be an intern, learning under the best at Philadelphia General Hospital. But to get through the year, she'll have to stay on her toes while working grueling hours, doing scut for higher ups, and putting up with everyone from nurses to residents and even the very doctors who are supposed to be teaching her treating her like something they scraped off the bottom of her shoe.

At the end of her first day, Norah is more than ready to pack it in. Only her drive to continue her father's legacy, and her charming resident who may or may not be flirting with her, keeps her motivated. But with her home life becoming more and more complicated with each day, Norah finds it harder and harder to keep that bright eyed motivation going. And when Norah's own ethics are challenged, she isn't at all certain she has it in her to continue.

I consider myself a pretty die hard fan of Grey's Anatomy, so of course a book comped to that is going to make it on my radar. Though so far Grey's has yet to introduce a character quite like Norah.

Norah comes from a traditional Indian family, which means she doesn't drink and she's had very little (read, none) dating experience at all. She's been too focused on her career! But all that seems to matter to her mother is settling down with a nice Indian man and popping out a few grandchildren. Things that Norah hasn't been interested in at all.

Norah is driven and smart, she's a good friend, she's a good daughter, she reads real, which I appreciated so much! I mean, the book starts with her accidentally sticking herself with a needle and immediately freaking out in exactly the way you'd expect any normal person to freak out.

And Norah's got stress in addition to the needle stick. Her mother has been suffering from depression ever since Norah's father died (well over a decade ago). Caring for their mother has fallen to Norah's brother, who still lives close enough to check in multiple times a day, but with a new baby of his own, he's recently started lobbying for Norah's help.

The bright spot in all of this is that Norah seems to be building some sort of relationship with her resident. He's newly-ish single and charming, willing to come in on his day off to help Norah with a patient no one else seems willing to spend time on. Oh, and he keeps asking her on sort of, could be dates that leave Norah incredibly confused.

Are you getting the Grey's vibes? It probably helps that Sinha is an actual physician. And like the show, the medical stuff that's mentioned throughout the book is all at once fascinating and entertaining. One thing I think Sinha really shines at, that we never get in the show (TV vs books, y'all) is the internal turmoil that Norah suffers. When her friend points out that her way of talking about a patient, for example, is cold, Norah feels guilty. There's more, but I definitely don't want to give it away. After all, the drama is where the great reading is!

The White Coat Diaries is an excellent debut and Madi Sinha is officially on my must read list from here on out!
Norah Kapadia is facing a lot in her personal and professional life. It’s never easy to be the perfect Indian daughter while pursuing a career in medicine. Norah is trying her best in navigating her professional life while balancing time with her family. But she is really not doing a good job. She is kinda struggling in both that something gotta give. In reality, she needs to grow up a bit. Stop being naive about things. Don’t be serious about that guy, it’s a waste of your time. She is going to realize this later on. But things always come back.Norah spent a lot of the time living up to people standards but not her own. It’s time for her to realize what she wants overall. And that won’t happen until the end, which is kinda of a bummer but expected.I wish the author spent more time in Norah re-discovering herself than her making poor decisions. I would have liked to read about her to discover who she really is.