Cover Image: The Shadow Wand

The Shadow Wand

The third installment in the Black Witch Chronicles did not disappoint! This picks up the story as our heros separate into different parts of Earthia. After a training incident, Elloren is forced into asking her fast mate Lukas Grey for help. As each member of the team starts to find their own way to work against the Gardnerians, Marcus Vogel's power becomes monstrous. This book is a great continuation from the first two books and sets up the next book beautifully. I can't wait until the next book comes out!
Loved it! This series is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and one I see myself rereading every time a new book comes out. I truly enjoy the characters, the world-building, the writing style, the plot twists, and everything. I'm so excited for the next book.
A must read for YA fantasy fans! The Black Witch series is one of my favorites and Shadow Wand does not disappoint!!
Laurie Forest has done it again. If you have been sleeping on The Black Witch Chronicles, do yourself a favor and drop everything, check out The Black Witch NOW. The series remains phenomenal with the third book and will keep readers invested to find out what happens next. I truly cannot recommend this series enough!
The Shadow Wand is the third book in the Black Witch Chronicles and there isn’t much to say without spoiling the previous books.
I’ll keep it short, I really enjoyed this! I’m a big fan of the series as a whole and I thought this was a great addition. I’m so excited for the last book to come out, I can’t wait to see how it ends.
This book was everything I was hoping it would
be. This is one of my favorite series and I recommend it to as many of my public library patrons as I can. This series is high fantasy and definitely just as high level as fantasy series written for adults. I adore that it deals with current real world issues through the lens of a fantasy world.
As always, what gets me with this series is the care that Laurie Forest has put into the world building. The second thing is the character development. Elloren has come a long way from being a privileged, prejudiced brat. I felt like we weren't just told that she'd changed but we'd actually witnessed this gradual change in front of our eyes. I'm excited for more world-building and complicated characters in her follow-up series.
This was a really fun read. I enjoyed the darkness she wove into the tale. I also really enjoyed her world building, although I wish she had opened up on the characters a bit more. They felt slightly out of sync for me, but not enough to derail a book. Overall this is a fantastic read for anyone looking for fantasy.
This book was received as an ARC from Inkyard Press in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I have read The Black Witch and what I liked about the book the most was that every page kept you in the story and you could not help but to keep on reading. In The Shadow Wand same thing every page correlated with one another and the struggle of power with Elloren was so beautifully expressed, I felt her pain throughout the book. The finding out since she is the most wanted in the land, she has to entrust in allies to protect her including her Commander Lukas Grey and many others that bestow her to train her to be a warrior and fight for her life and the fate of the kingdom. I felt like I was a part of a fantasy thriller. My heart was racing so fast and could not help but cheer Elloren on and be part of her team. I know our Teen Book Club will love this book and I can't wait to hear the discussions that rise.

We will consider adding this title to our YA collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this book through Netgalley. I really enjoyed this book a lot despite being left with another cliffhanger. I'm already looking forward to the last book. It was interesting to see a variety of viewpoints while still focusing much of the book on Elloran. I would definitely recommend this series to those who enjoy fantasy YA books.
I received this ARC in exchange for my honest review

I am here for this series and I absolutely loved this book!!
The Shadow Wand is the third book in the Black Witch Chronicles. We find Elloren and her group all separated and off on different tasks. Elloren is floundering and unsure, scared of her power. When things go sideways she has to escape back to Gardeneria and Lukas.

This book felt rushed. There was a lot of setup in the first third of the book including many new characters to learn, including Death Fae. At the beginning of the book, each chapter is told from a different point of view from many different characters. Some of what happens also didn't feel authentic. I still enjoyed the story, but this volume is not as good as the first two in the series.
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.. I tell you. Wow.

I knew I was going to love this book. I have been a fan of the Black Witch Chronicles for some time now. To me it is everything I like about Fantasy. With rich characters, mythical creatures, and lots of magic! I love wand magic and elemental magic and fated mates! This series has all the things I love. It also has a healthy amount of romance and I have been invested in the dark love triangle that has been going on too!

There isn't a ton I can say without spoiling this one, but if you are invested in this series, I really think you won't be disappointed. Its still brutal, fierce, and twisty. The evil is growing and the cruelty of our villain cannot be over stated. Vogel gives me the shivers but the systemic prejudices and evils built into the Gardnerian society is much bigger than just one man. This isn't a passively cruel country, they are actively trying to wipeout everyone who is different or threatening to them. The traditions and rules of their people make my stomach sick.

And I can't say I didn’t cheer a bit that a few characters got KO'd in a brutal fashion. NO spoilers but it was extremely satisfying after what they say and do to Elloren, Lukas, and anyone not a part of their stuck up life style or not doing what they want them to do. I shouted in joy!

I also have to fangirl over Lukas Grey! I knew he wasn't made this sexy and mysterious for nothing. Again, I don't want to spoil it, but if you liked him before, prepare to be rewarded. I loved how Elloren came to see him in a new light and he actively had me tearing up at least 2 separate times. He is a strong man playing a dangerous game and I adore him as a character.

I continue to be entranced by Elloren's journey. She started out oblivious, became a push over, then a reluctant rebel, and now she is in full on rebellion mode. I love seeing that kind of arc in a character and I think that the author has done such a great job leaving her with room to grow. Not just in her powers but in her personality. She was a pawn for so many years and that doesn't change overnight. It takes hard work, heart ache and a fight to change what has been laid down. I look forward to seeing what happens next in her character.

Overall, I was so happy with this novel. I am so excited for The Demon Tide. There is a cliffhanger to this one, so be prepared. Even though I had a gut feeling that the emotional revelation Elloren has about Lukas would lead us to the last page of this book, it was still very satisfying. I can't wait to see where the author takes us next.

5/5 Stars! Which is 3 for 3 in this series so far for me.
The Shadow Wand is everything that Laurie Forest promised it would be--a lot of kissing. Albeit, the kissing is very much forced by the plot, but I am HERE for it. I’ve read every novel and novella Forest has published in this series, and I was not disappointed by this installment. If you’ve been loyal to it so far, there’s definitely no reason to stop here.

One of the strengths of the novel is the shifting POV between several old characters and a few new ones. Some authors shift POV every single chapter, and it gets dizzying. Forest does not fall into this trap and understands when we want to spend more time with Elloren or another character. It’s really clever, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness here.

Speaking of Elloren, girl, what happened?! Elloren was developing nicely into someone who could engage in critical thinking, cultural relativism, and fend for herself, but she is robbed of all agency in The Shadow Wand. She lets life happen to her and doesn’t put up much of a fuss, frequently being ferried from one location to another and getting beaten or bullied by those around her. It’s time for us to get an Elloren with agency! Consider this a petition to make Elloren a force to be reckoned with in book 4.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend The Shadow Wand to existing fans of the series, and I will continue recommending the entire series to fans of well-developed characters in a fantasy setting.
Anyone remember the debacle of reviews for book 1? I love that that as the series continues it just continues to prove them wrong! A great cast of characters with expanding story arcs, solid world building, strength in the diversity of characters, and excellent use of themes. Delightful series so far!
This book was fantastic!!!! It really messed with my emotions but Laurie sure has a way for making you want more even when it feels like your heart is breaking. I can't wait for the next book! Huge Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for this adventure!!!
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'll be honest, when I requested this book, I did not realize it was part of an established series/universe. (I think NetGalley should have done a better job at making that clear!) I ended up DNF this book, even though I really wanted to so I could give it a proper review.

I decided to do three stars for several reasons:
1. This book seems like it would be great if I knew what was going on and was already a fan of the universe in which it exists.
2. A lot of what I struggled to get through may have been because of my lack of understanding the already established world.
3. It is well-written despite it being lengthy and hard to digest.

My main complaint with this book is: There was so. much. of. it. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy long books. However, this book felt thick in a way that was not necessary. Sometimes, less is more. Cut to the chase. I don't need super lengthy descriptions all the time.
Although this was a great addition to the series, I was thinking that it was the finale and instead it felt like a lot f  set up for the next book. I still enjoyed it but it wasn't what I was expecting. All in all I like the new perspectives, though it shifted to much for my tastes. Then the stories goes back to just two perspectives which was nice, but also weird after having so many. I also felt like there was too much romance but that is a personal taste. Overall I would recommend this series.
A black witch is foretold to rise and meet the great winged one.Edwin and Vyvisn are in grief. Edwin wishes he could wash the family if it's cursed magic. Their wealth is secured by cruelity. Edwin does not want future generations to have the magic . There are people dead and children to protect. Edwin wants to hide any power the children may have . The message is carried that the black witch may be back. I couldn't get invested in the characters  .
It is best to begin with the first book.  One of the problems I had with The Shadow Wand is that the book begins with so many characters in so many different places--and it has been two years since I read  The Iron Flower.  I don't usually have a problem with multiple characters and subplots, but after two years, it took a while to get people and places in my head again, especially since everyone had separated by the end of book 2.

I loved the first two books and was eager for this one, and once I had wrapped my head around the various situations, I found myself engrossed once again.  Not as happy as I was with the previous books, but still eager to find out what would happen next.  Most of the story is with Elloren, but it seems to me she needed characters like Trystan, Tierney, Diana, Rafe, and Wynter to give her genuine substance, and although some of them are given a bit of space, it wasn't really enough to be satisfying.

It is a long book, and the pacing is erratic--not all sections really move the plot forward.  Elloren became a little annoying at times.  OK, more than a little and frequently.  I wanted things to move on.  I found the first two books compelling, but this one didn't feel as well-thought out.  In contrast, some readers like this one best.

Will I read the next one?  Oh, yes!  I do hope the pacing is better though.

The Black Witch
The Iron Flower
The Shadow Wand

NetGalley/Inkyard Press
YA Fantasy.  June 9, 2020.  Print length:  608 pages.