Cover Image: All Stirred Up

All Stirred Up

This was a cute second-chance romance. Light, funny and add in some serious moments and this was an easy read to get through.

A huge thank you to NetGalley, Brianne Moore and Alcove Press for providing me with an eARC of this publication which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.
I got this one from Netgalley quite a long time ago, now. And I was all excited to read this Persuasion retelling (as that's my favorite Austen) when I just got so behind on my reviews!

So, I was really pleased to get to start this one in the beginning of this year!

But, oh the disappointment! This one fell flat for me. I didn't hate, but, I definitely didn't love it, either.

This book was Persuasion's boring cousin. And, that sounds terrible, but it's true. If you are wanting a story like this, but better--please, just pick up the original.
Thank you so much to @NetGalley for giving me this eARC in exchange for my honest and unbiased review (Release Date | 08 September 2020)

SYNOPSIS | Susan is taking over her grandfathers restaurant in Edinburgh & with the goal of fixing it up & returning it to its former glory. The only problem is that Chris (who previously worked as a chef at her grandfathers London location) is opening up a competing restaurant in Edinburgh too.

WHAT I LIKED:
- the premise of a culinary romance

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
- the MC & love interest didn't even interact until after 50% way through the book
- I found myself bored by the vast descriptions of food, Edinburgh landmarks & the restaurant remodel
- there are A LOT of side characters
- this wasn't really a romance & instead should have been classified as a contemporary fiction
I got 20% into this book and I realized that this book just wasn't for me. I loved  second chance romances  and so I thought I would really enjoy this one one but I had a hard time following a lot with this story. I really want to start prioritizing books I actually want to read therefore I dnfed this book. Maybe i'll pick it up another time but right not it just isn't a priority.
I started reading the book, but was not drawn in & decided not to continue reading. Thank you for the opportunity to review this book, but it unfortunately just didn't work for me to continue with it.
Really cute romance! I read this one in a single sitting. I love any book centered around food, and of course adding a romance in the mix made this a great book for me. Definitely recommend!
This was an adorable book and I really enjoyed it. I like the romance aspects of it and the storyline was really great too.
Foodie fiction, with a bit of romance, and lots of lovely Scottish Edinburgh scenes. Susan has one last chance to rescue her family's restaurant. It's much worse than she thought and then it gets worse when her former boyfriend, Chris, opens a rival restaurant.
All Stirred Up was a fun read that I enjoyed for the most part.

What I liked:
-Susan’s passion and commitment to Elliot’s - and her grandfather’s legacy. Likewise, Chris’s passion and commitment to his own restaurant, and his desire to be known for more than his stint on reality TV.
-The descriptions of Edinburgh. Scotland is at the top of my travel wishlist, and I really enjoyed visiting vicariously.
-The eclectic and eccentric cast of characters. Susan and her two sisters were so different, and they were all believably flawed. Some of the characters and situations were over the top, but in an entertaining way.

What I didn’t like:
-The romance...or lack of it. As I was reading, I mentioned this to a friend who had read and enjoyed the book and she said it was because it’s a retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. Well, I’ve never read Persuasion, and while I’m all for a slow burn, it took way too long for Susan and Chris to get together. Then when they finally did, despite being a second-chance romance and their previous relationship being established, it felt way too insta-lovey. They knew each other ten years ago as early twenty-somethings and then they spent all that time apart with hard feelings between them. When they were reunited, they spent hardly any time together, most of their interactions were rife with misunderstandings, and they didn’t get to know each other for who they were now (I’m certainly not the same person I was ten years ago), but that didn’t stop them from falling in love. I wish we’d seen them together more - and with fewer misunderstandings - and had seen them getting to know each other and not just reminiscing about the past.
-The food talk bordered on too much. I’m a total foodie. I love to cook and I love to eat. I even enjoy reading about characters who are chefs or bakers. But these two spent far more time in the kitchen than they did together, and it was a bit much.

Overall, despite my issues, I did enjoy this book. I found it entertaining, I liked the characters, and I loved the setting.
I was so very excited to read this book, The blurb was absolutely adorable, it sounded just like everything I wanted it to be. It was overall cute and lighthearted. I did enjoy the characters but I found the overall plot to be quite boring. There was a lot less romance than I thought there would be, instead the focus was more so on the family drama, which would have been fine if the book had been pitched as such. I was left disappointed with what could have been a great story.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy of the ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Anyone who knows me knows that I love Jane Austen. In fact, one of my arms has given a large amount of space to a tattoo that is inspired by that love. Persuasion in particular is one of my two favourites, and I was really looking forward to reading another take on the story I love so much. I love a sweet, chill read like this.

That said, this one fell a bit flat for me. I was tempted to DNF but I knew it would be quick so I kept going, and frankly I have no strong feelings one way or the other about that decision. The characters were a little irritating at times which bothered me since I had been so long forward to them, and I found myself feeling like I was reading an early draft of a Sophie Kinsella book, one which could have done with another few rounds of edits.

That said, it's not that serious, and anyone looking for a cute, quick read that doesn't take up too much emotional real estate will enjoy this just fine. No major gripes, but not much to praise either.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
Felt very tempted to DNF within the first chapter - how annoying could those characters be? Then glad I pushed through because those same annoying characters become background noise after a while. And it's written in present tense, which is a huge pain for me personally.
Minus the First Person POV and the hero's POV, this read a lot like the 'recent years' Sophie Kinsella books in that it centered on a flawed heroine amid a chaotic family and she's coming to grips with love. I would not categorize this as a romance, though, because there isn't much romantic in there. More the chick-lit verging on women's fiction/family vibe, and if you approach it this way, then you'll enjoy this story.
The food descriptions were definitely there, which helped, and I commend the author for trying to make Edinburgh come alive, though the descriptions felt like they were parachuted in (and could be removed with no effect on the story)
It's a nice enough read...but don't expect romance, or love, or romantic angst and the like. This is a family's story first and for all, to be honest
It starts off slow and kind of dense, but once the action begins, it's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. It reads as a true epic, one that makes you feel the world really has been reshaped as you read it. Would recommend.
It sounded really good but fell flat for me. The characters were meh and not really interesting. They did capture me at the first few chapters but then it just got boring.
A very cute modern re-imagining of Jane Austen's Persuasion. Engaging characters, enchanting setting, entertaining story line. The focus of the story is really on the restoration of this family restaurant as well as the family dynamics. The second chance romance between Susan and Chris was sweet, but definitely not at the center of the story.
I'm a sucker for the enemies to lovers trope, add in some cooking and I am hooked. Then set it in one of my favorite counties and I couldn't put it down. Super adorable rom-com that I truly enjoyed reading. I hope there is more to come from this author.
I loved this! I stayed up super late Friday night finishing the audiobook. I had no idea that it was a modern day retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion - maybe because I’ve never read a Jane Austen novel?

Susan has moved to Edinburgh to save her grandfather’s flagship - and now only - restaurant. Her ex-boyfriend has also moved back to Edinburg to open a rival his restaurant (after spending spending time as TV host of a cooking competition). Their paths cross, and their past feelings resurface. I loved Susan and Chris’s relationship, and Susan’s family and her restaurant friends are great too.

The book is charming - the accents on the audiobook are so fun! I loved it!
This book really made me laugh and I really enjoyed reading it during the midst's of the first national lockdown. It was hilarious, emotional and totally loved up all in one book. I would read this again and recommend anyone to read it.
Thanks to #Netgalley for making this book available to me.
*****Disclaimer*****
It took me a very long time to actually get into the flow of this book and the characters. None of the characters did it for me. Individually not interesting and collectively no chemistry. The main characters who we were supposed to be rooting for just did not deliver for me. So I do have to state that I might be overly critical of this book because I really wanted to like it and I read it multiple times hoping that I was just missing something. It was too long and certain scenes were unnecessary and did not add to the progression of the story.

Skeleton Review
Susan broke up with her boyfriend Chris after something heartbreaking went down with her family. Little did she know that he was also going through a tough time. Years later, her family's business is sinking and the once successful Napier family was bankrupt. And the last line for her family was the struggling flagship restaurant they own in Edinburgh, Elliot. Once she arrives in Edinburgh she sees her ex-now-popular-boyfriend at the airport. He pretends not to see her because he is still hurt that she left him without an excuse. Chris is an extremely popular TV show star of a cooking show or something like that. He is in Edinburgh because he is also planning to open a new restaurant. You can basically see where this is going with the upcoming rivalry and media attention!

I gave this book a 2.5 out of 5 stars. It was just in the middle for me.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. I was originally turned on but the cover but that's the only thing that kept my attention. I didn't even finish this book because it was so unappealing that my mind would wander and I would have missed two chapters.