Cover Image: Tristan Strong Destroys the World (A Tristan Strong Novel, Book 2)

Tristan Strong Destroys the World (A Tristan Strong Novel, Book 2)

Tristan finds himself having to face his fears and return to the world of Alke when his Nana is taken by the Shamble Man.

The themes of PTSD in an individual and a community are present, as Tristan has to come to terms with what happened in book 1, and the people of Alke attempt to rebuild their world. Family, both of blood and found family, the power of stories, and the hope they bring, all play crucial parts in this story. With so many themes, and hard topics to cover in a middle grade novel many books would fall short because they are trying to do too much, Not Tristan Strong. Mbalia crafts a wonderful story full of so many lessons, themes, and packed full of history and culture. Any English major would find a sea of things to write about. But Mbalia also makes them so easily understandable to the intended audience without breaking the flow of the story. Every middle school library should have Tristan Strong on their shelves. Even with such a dire situation as Tristan finds himself in, the writing still made me laugh at times and let me be in awe of the world that was being explored. The balance was great!

Tristan Strong Destroys the World is a masterpiece of stories stitched together in just the right way.
This is a terrific sequel to Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky.  Tristan ends up retuning to Alke to try to rescue his grandmother.  There are familiar characters and new ones that make the story as compelling and as much fun as the first one.
Kwame Mbalia has done it again. I am all for as many Tristan books as he cares to write. It's a hard call, but I think Kwame is my favorite author in the Riordan imprint family. This story begins only a month after the last ends, and just as Tristan feels things are getting back to normal, they go sideways. The African mythology nods are amazing in this story, there are so many layers, and the fact that the meaning and importance of family in an action-packed kids book is paramount tells you just what a great series this is. This is middle-grade fantasy at it’s best. I can’t wait for book 3!
Tristan Strong Destroys the World is another excellent work from Kwame Mbalia! I will admit it was not quite as enjoyable as the first book, but that's really just middle-book syndrome and for all that it is the middle book in a trilogy, it's still superb! I will forever and always suggest this book to anyone and everyone. Also, I need a movie or  TV adaptation stat!
I am an avid reader of the Rick Riordan books, as well as his imprint, and was pleased last year to discover Kwame Mbalia's work in the first Tristan Strong novel. I have witnessed the power of the first book in capturing middle grades readers firsthand.

Both the first book and its now-released sequel invite the reader into a sprawling world of realistic youth concerns and supernatural elements. I love the way Mbalia weaves together lore and modern culture to create a fun experience. There is much to explore here, and the author presents this world in an entertaining way.

In Tristan Strong Destroys the World, Mbalia gives us another trip into this universe, this time upping the stakes for the young hero. There is an element of fright as the reader encounters new challenges in the storyline, but the ingredients of creativity and energy that made the first book such an engaging read prove to be present here again.

Having read both of these books, I'm ready for more in the series, and I'm happy to be part of spreading the word for young readers and those of us who are older but appreciate a good story, too. Highly recommended!
This book was great. I loved that I got to dive back into Tristan’s world. I always love everything I read by Rick Riordan but I have to admit Kwame definitely may be my new mythological/ YA Fantasy author.
Thanks to NetGalley and Disney Publishing Worldwide for a free digital copy in exchange for an honest review!

You guys. When I saw the email saying I had access to the ARC of Tristan Strong Destroys the World I started dancing in my classroom. Seriously. (I don’t have students in class yet, so it wasn’t super embarrassing.) I have been excited to read this for months and as you will read below, it didn’t disappoint! It was definitely a bright moment in the midst of a difficult teaching time.

In this sequel to Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia, a month has passed since Tristan has left Alke and his new friends after defeating an evil haint and fixing the tear between worlds. Things seem slightly back to normal under spirits show up at his grandparents’ farm and warn him of a new evil coming his way…which soon shows up, trashes the farm, and kidnaps Nana, taking her back to Alke. With the help of new and old friends, Tristan must return to Alke and use his powers as an Anansesem (storyteller) to try to save Nana and both of the worlds he loves from a terrible fate.

In the words of Tristan Strong, SWEET PEACHES. That is the exact phrase that went through my head after finishing this book. I loved it just as much as I loved the first one, and maybe even a tiny bit more. Mbalia has such a gift of communicating about tough subjects (trauma, in particular) in such eloquent and accessible ways. I read this for my myself, but also thinking about my 7th grade students and not only does Mbalia communicate about trauma, but he teaches his readers what that even means, the many ways it can manifest itself in those who have experienced it, and how one might try to start to heal. The storytelling element in this second book was stunning–in the stories themselves and in the way Tristan has to learn new aspects of his power. Tristan Strong Destroys the World was exciting and impactful and then end had me like WHOA. There was nothing I disliked about this book and I can’t wait to tell my students about it!

HIGHLY recommend. If you love middle-grade novels, or anything by Rick Riordan or the “Rick Riordan Presents” line, you will love this one. It is necessary to read these books in order–if you pick this one up first you might be a bit confused. I’m so excited to talk the ear off of everyone I know about this book (like I did with the first one).
I loved the first Tristan Strong, and I've loved everything that has come from this imprint thus far. I am not surprised to have loved this one as well, and to have learned more of these stories - I now have a deeper knowledge, but it was just fun to learn! These books are a must for a classroom library.
Listen... you can tell Kwame Mbalia was feeling himself when he wrote this book. From the start, we are once again carried away by Tristan's strong (no pun intended) and hilarious voice. One of my favourite things about this series is that Tristan regularly reacts exactly like how I would react in a similar situation - particularly thinking 'oh, absolutely not' when presented with an absurdly dangerous suggestion. I am grateful for a main character with a sarcastic will to survive.

You can sense Mbalia catching his stride in this book- new characters are dynamic, old characters are more charming than ever, the action is energetic, and the plot twists are succulent. What struck me is the mesmerizing worldbuilding - you can feel the joy oozing off the page (or, in my case, shining through the Kindle).

Importantly, at no point does the story lose sight of its rich emotional core - love, family, community. Grief, yes. And hope.

Overall, a fun follow-up to the first book! Looking forward to where the series goes.
An epic second part of the Tristan series. When you fall, get back up. The stories of folk heroes, combined with wisdom from the elders knit a quilt of saving grace. Trauma and grief are encountered in scenes that will have tears falling down your face. Get back up. When it seems the world is shattering, we can all band together and fix it but you have to get back up. An amazing story full of action, life lessons and hope. Part three will be even more daring and action packed as the heroes face old and new foes.
EEK! Alright, I rarely continue on with a series beyond book 1-there are just far too many books to read. But after the first 1 in this, how could you not keep going?!

I loved the story. I loved see all of these amazing characters again. Fantastic!

For librarians: Is book 1 checking out? Buy it. Have you not picked up book 1 yet? Buy it.
Review based on a digital ARC provided via NetGalley

Tristan Strong is back in this fast paced follow up to Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky.  Thrown into the realm of Alke to save someone important to him, Tristan must enlist the help of some friends from the first book, some very powerful friends who happen to be African American folk heroes and West African gods.  Not much time has passed since we last saw Tristan and he continues to deal with the grief of his friend’s death – on top of that, he has to contend with the fall out from his last adventures in Alke.  As his adventure unfolds, he begins to realize that trauma is at the center of his feelings – and he has to learn to come to terms with his own trauma while understanding the trauma with which others are faced.  It sounds dark, it sounds sad and it sounds heavy, but Kwame Mbalia is a master storyteller, and in his hands, it is not really any of those things.  He deftly handles all of the characters and their individual roles in this story, all the while acknowledging the importance of the stories from the African diaspora that contribute to the narrative.  The story is action packed and fun, with lots of danger, but Tristan and his friends are up the challenge.  There are some very powerful female characters in this story, but I won’t say too much about them so that I don’t give anything away.

This book ends neatly, but not like a present with a bow on top.  It ends with possibilities and hope – it ends with growth and acknowledgement.  If Kwame Mbalia were to write another book in this series, it would not go amiss, but it’s not necessary, as the reader is left feeling satisfied and empowered.

I listened to the first one on audio and it was fantastic!  I read this one, but I bet it would be a great listen, too!
Tristan Strong Destroys the World was my most anticipated Middle Grade novel of 2020. I had so much fun reading Kwame Mbalia's debut, Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky, last year. I fell in love with Tristan, as well as Mbalia's wit and compelling writing style.

I was blown away by the fact that it was a debut. The quality of the story, as well as the world-building, were top notch. The Tristan Strong series is published by the Rick Riordan Presents imprint. If you aren't aware, this imprint is focused on publishing novels that allow Middle Grade authors from underrepresented cultures and backgrounds tell stories inspired by the mythology and folklore of their heritage.

I have read many of the books published through this imprint and I must say, each and every one has been absolutely fantastic. If you are sleeping on the Rick Riordan Presents books, I highly encourage you to give one a try. There is truly something for every Reader among the releases.

My biggest observation of Mbalia's writing is that he writes with HEART. Tristan is such a well-imagined character. I absolutely adore his perspective, his humor and the many admirable qualities he is developing as he grows through the adventures held within these pages!

In this second installment, Tristan is forced back to Alke, the magical land of African Gods and African American folk heroes, after his beloved Nana is stolen away by a mysterious villain out for revenge. There he is reunited with many old friends from the first book, including my favorite, the dynamic Gum Baby.

As with the first book, this installment offers up nonstop action and humor. I was biting my nails in anticipation, while simultaneously laughing at Tristan's thoughts or witty dialogue.

This book ended with a lot still at stake. I am so excited for the third book. It honestly cannot come soon enough. If you haven't checked out this series yet, now is the perfect time to do so. Tristan Strong Destroys the World is releasing October 6th, so you have just enough time to get in the first book before its release!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney-Hyperion and Rick Riordan Presents, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I appreciate it so much and also appreciate the thought and dedication that goes into this entire imprint. I have been exposed to so many new myths and legends from cultures around the world through RRP and for that, I am truly grateful!
"A storm had already ripped through my life. What was a few more drops of water?"

At the beginning of summer, Tristan Strong accidentally punched a hole in the sky, sending him into Alke, a world filled with African folklore. After defeating the iron ships and fetterlings that plagued the people using his own unique gift as an Anansesem, Tristan returned home to his grandparents' farm, working to collect more stories. But Tristan hasn't felt right since he returned, getting lost in his own head; the trauma of what he has seen has shaken him deep to his core, causing him to doubt himself.

Then Tristan starts to have visions of a figure known only as the Shamble Man, wreaking havoc on the recovering Alke. And then the Shamble Man comes to Tristan's world, and steals Tristan's beloved Nana. Now, Tristan rushes back to Alke to team up with old friends--John Henry, Ayanna, Chestnut, and, of course, the one and only Gum Baby with her infamous Sap Attacks!--to stop the Shamble Man and save his grandmother. Can Tristan save the day again? Or will he destroy this world he cares so deeply for?

The second phenomenal book in Mbalia's "Tristan Strong" trilogy (!!!!!) returns to the magical world of Alke, full of goddesses, boo hags, tricksters, heroes, and legends from African and African-American folklore. Explore new places, meet new faces, and hear new tales while also seeing the return of old friends, having frank conversations about trauma in ways that young people (and old people) understand, pushing forward when all hope seems lost, and learning what it means to really be a hero.

Mbalia does an amazing job writing about Tristan's relationships with the adults/role-models/teachers in his life; in the first book, that focus was on John Henry. This book focuses on Tristan's relationship with Nana, who we learn has also been adventuring in Alke, and has been--in essence--the origin of Tristan's role as the Anasesm. She was the one who has taught Tristan about the stories and figures from folklore and mythology, and is the voice in his ear when faced with problems. But, ultimately, she is a source of love and comfort, of strength and resolve. Nana is the woman that Tristan will destroy worlds for, and I think that is beautiful.

Also, Gum Baby has managed to get even sassier since we last saw her. Consider yourself warned. (Seriously, you may strain muscles from laughing so hard.)
Thanks to @netgalley and @disneybooks for the advance Kindle copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5. If you haven’t started this series yet, get it together! It’s amazing. Book two of Tristan’s journey starts with a boxing match, with Mama’s kidnapping following. Tristan has to enlist the help of Anansi (stuck in his SBP) and the rest of the gang to find his grandmother and stop her captor from creating more devastation in Alke. Gum Baby is back with more zingers, and the story development is phenomenal. The ending leaves it open for book three. I can’t wait! #mglit #librarian #librariansofinstagram #middleschoollibrarian #weneediversebooks
This summer, I got the pleasure of reading the second in the Tristan Strong series, Tristan Strong Destroys the World, by Kwame Mbalia! When I tell you that this series is one of the most brilliantly written novels I've read...believe it! This book follows Tristan after the first book. He's trying to appease his grandfather by trying to follow in his footsteps and being the best boxer in the area. However, Tristan soon realizes he has more in common with his grandma. We again are taken to the land of Alke, but the world is in danger of being completely destroyed, and it's all Tristan's fault. Can he save both Alke and the "real" world? He'll need the help of some of our favorite characters: Gum Baby, John Henry, Anansi, and others!

Kwame Mbalia is the most brilliant writer I've come across in a while. The way in which he weaves his Tristan Strong character in with West African and African American folklore is magical. I really, truly believe this is a series that students would find fun because it's HILARIOUS and has all of the fantasy characteristics kids love, BUT adults can read it and really appreciate the nuances in the story that shed light on real world issues.

This book comes out on October 6, and I'm going to need all of you to read it, so we can fangirl out together!

#NetGalley #TristanStrongDestroystheWorldATristanStrongNovelBook2
Tristan Strong Destroys the World (A Tristan Strong Novel, Book 2)
by Kwame Mbalia
Disney Publishing Worldwide
 You Like Them
Rick Riordan Presents
Children's Fiction
Pub Date 06 Oct 2020   |   Archive Date 06 Oct 2020

We have a lot of young readers who will enjoy this book a lot. This is the 2nd in the series and was very well written.  Thanks to Disney Publishing Worldwide and Net Galley for the ARC. I listened to webinar on this Author and series.  It was very good.

5 star
If you read the reviews for the previous Tristan Strong, you will see it was right up my alley for middle grade fantasy literature that I cultivate for my fifth grade students. Especially those students that enjoy Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. Teachers if recommending the series, do so for those Rick Riordan fans of mythology, but even those students without a background in the stories reimagined by the author, will thoroughly enjoy this second installment.
On the part of author Kwame Mbalia once again, he shows mastery in exploring new ways for Tristan and other characters we love to change over the course of the novel. For example, in this time of pandemic, how much do school-aged children need to hear the message of perseverance? Nana's simple, but strong words to Tristan ring in my mind even after finishing the book. "Get up."
Many times this book had me laughing out loud with it's short and page-turning chapters. I really enjoyed the strong female representation that was amped up in this book with characters like Mami Wata, Keelboat Annie and Lady Night. I do hope another of these books is in the works as middle grade readers need a voice like Mbalia.
Honestly, I really enjoyed this book, and I think I liked it a lot more than the first one.  I already had an idea of all the characters we were re-encountering so seeing them again was really fun.  The stakes of this story were a lot higher, which was really interesting to explore.  You saw the direct effects of the previous story on the world of Alke, and you see Tristan struggle with his legacy and how things maybe weren't as simple when one is a hero as one might think.

I liked that we got a greater depth to Tristan's family and learned more about his Nana as a character.  The family legacy was a nice aspect to explore and I just really enjoyed the dynamics between Tristan and his grandmother.

The tension throughout the story was good, and there was enough action to keep you interested as a reader and keep you guessing about what hijinx Tristan is going to get into next.

Overall, I had a super fun time reading this and I highly recommend it and the first book in the series.  Be sure to check it out when it comes out on the 6th of October.
I received this e-ARC from Rick Riordan Presents and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
The events in the second Tristan Strong book occur a couple of weeks after Tristan’s return from Alke. He is still on his grandparents’ farm in Alabama, working and training, and trying to recover from the events in Alke. His grandfather volunteers him to a sparring match with another youth boxer who happens to be nearly twice Tristan’s size! It’s during this time that Tristan sees ghosts and spirits from Alke. Impossible, because the hole was supposedly sealed when he returned. One of the frightened water spirits, Ninah, warns him the Shamble Man is coming. And come he does, smashing his way into the Strong farmhouse and kidnapping Tristan’s grandmother. Tristan and Anansi (still locked in the Story Box Phone) travel back to Alke to rescue Nana. Tristan is reunited with old friends and we meet some new characters. Will Tristan, Ayanna, Anansi, Gum Baby, and the others be able to stop the Shamble Man before it’s too late?
I am thrilled Tristan is back in this second installment. Kwame Mbalia takes African and African American storytelling to a whole new level. Tristan, a reluctant hero, is still learning about his role as Anansesem. He is headstrong and vulnerable, doing everything he can to rescue his nana and stop the Shamble Man. This book is exciting, emotional, and will have you on the edge of your seat. I would definitely recommend book 2 for anyone who has read the first one.
#TristanStrongDestroysTheWorld #NetGalley