Cover Image: Three Treats Too Many

Three Treats Too Many

Princess Fuzzypants here:  While Sarah and her twin Emma and Emma’s husband Marcus are waiting for the inspection approval, their rival, Jane, opens her new eatery across the street from theirs.  As attendees to her opening, they are disheartened by the glowing reviews of Jane;s vegan dishes.  The creator of those dishes is Riley but her success is cut short as her body is discovered on the night of the grand opening.  Sarah’s friend Jacob is the prime suspect.  He has been obsessed with Riley and although she is a flirt and a user of the highest order, he cannot see it.

Sarah and Harlan, her boss, and Jacob’s sister Anne, are all trying to keep him out of jail and find the real killer.  As Sarah learns more and more about how both Riley and the second murder victim have misused so many people, the candidate list grows but the police chief can see no further than Jacob.  At Anne’s bequest, she delves further into the backgrounds and comes up with some surprising, nay shocking, connections.  One of them is going to turn deadly.  Can Sarah reveal the culprit without losing her life.  It is going to be a very close call.

Any story with vets and a cat named Rah Rah and a puppy named Fluffy is going to catch my interest.  It also happens to be a good mystery with some unexpected turns that provide tons of suspense until the killer is revealed.  Four purrs and two paws up.
This seemed like it would be a fun book, combining food and cats and mystery.  Turns out there's more to do with motorcycles and dogs, than cats.  And, I would strongly urge people to read this series in order.  I jumped in at this book, and there were all sorts of allusions to what happened in the previous books, but that were not immediately explained for the novice.  That made it difficult for me to follow at times.  And, this is one of those books that claims to be a cat mystery (in fact a cat graces the cover), yet the cat does nothing more than eat and exist.  I'd like to see more involvement, if a cat is going to be on the cover.  As for the mystery itself, it was quite well constructed, but I thought there a few too many characters to keep track of (again, this might be due to my jumping in at the third book).   I'd rate it average.
A sweet cozy mystery with an adorable cat.  I did find the  ending predictable and it was easy to guess the suspect.  But other cozy mystery fans will most likely enjoy this read.
This is the 3rd  release in the new cozy series" Sarah Blair" by  author Debra Goldstein.
Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley. My review opinion is my own.  This is a fun new cozy series with great charcters .

This is a charming series that I always enjoy returning to. In this next in series set in the Southern town of  Wheaton Alabama Sarah and her sister Emily are waiting for final approval  to open their restaurant while they deal with the red tape.  As their approval drags on they find out that a new restaurant owned by the ex mistresses of her dead ex husband is opening across the street.  When the new chef of restaurant is found dead with a friend of Sarah's near the body he is immediately taken in as prime suspect in her murder.  Sarah is sure  that he is not guilt and works to free her friend and find the read suspect.

I like Sarah as a likable protagnist who is very real.  This series has humor throughout and is always fast paced with a well crafted sleuth.  I look forward to the next in series.
In this 3rd book in the Sarah Blair Mystery series, Sarah and her sister are still struggling to open their restaurant. This time inspection woes have delayed their dream project.....long enough for weasel-y rival Jane to pop back up to cause trouble. Jane opens a competing restaurant quite close to Sarah & Emily's delayed upscale eatery. When Jane's talented chef turns up dead, Sarah and her pals land in the soup again....

I love this series! It's always an enjoyable mix of murder mystery and humor. RahRah the siamese cat is of course a favorite character of mine. And I enjoy hating the daylights out of annoying Jane, as I am sure is the author's intention. There are times I want to hop into the book and just punch Jane. I would gladly smack her....but killing her chef is a pretty low blow. :)

Great read! I needed some cozy goodness with everything going on in my life. This book gave me a nice spot of humor and entertainment! I read my review copy and then also checked out the audio book on Scribd. I love listening to cozies....it makes my commute to work more interesting and it's just enjoyable to have a cute story read to me. Even though I knew how the plot turned out already, I still enjoyed listening to the audio. Emily Beresford narrates. She reads at a nice, steady pace and has a pleasant voice. The audio is just over 7.5 hours. All in all, a great listening experience!

Can't wait for the next book in this series! Oh, and there are recipes in the book as well!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Kensington. All opinions expressed are completely my own.**
Sarah Blair has moved back to Wheaton, Alabama.
Her twin sister, Chef Emily and Marcus are
running the Southwind’s Pub. They are waiting
inspection for their white tablecloth Southwind
restaurant to open.
Meanwhile, Sarah’s nemesis, Jane has opened a
restaurant right across the street from where
Southwind is to open. Jane is “the bimbo” that
stole Jane’s ex-husband. Jane has hired a cook
named Riley Miller that specializes in vegan
cuisine. The vegan menu has their restaurant packed.
The night before the grand opening of Jane’s
Place, the vegan chef is found murdered!!!
When Sarah’s friend gets accused, she has to
prove his innocence. Especially when Anne, the
sister of the accused and up-coming politician,
requests Sarah to investigate.
As Sarah moves forward the plot thickens at
every turn. A slew of well defined, well written
characters keep Sarah rethinking the culprit.
But Sarah is determined to weed through all she
has discovered to find out who murdered the
vegan chef.
Besides well created humans, Sarah’s fur babies:
Siamese cat Rah, Rah and her dog Fluffy add to
the flavor of the story.
I could not put the book down from the first word
until the complex puzzle was solved. I enjoyed the
different angles thrown into the mix as it kept me
guessing up until the culprit was caught.
Although this is book # 3 in the Sarah Blair
Mystery series, the author provides enough
backstory that the past and present are presented
effortlessly.
I volunteered to read Three Treats Too Many.
My opinion is voluntary and my own.
Delicious recipes are included at the story’s end.
A Definite Book To Read!!
Thanks to Kensington Publishers via Net Gallery
for the opportunity.

This is the third book in the Sarah Blair mystery series by Debra H. Goldstein.

While Sarah and her sister are waiting for their new restaurant to be inspected, her late ex—husband’s mistress is already having a grand opening for her own restaurant. Lots of rivalry between these two as Jane even tries to steal one of Sarah’s employees after her popular vegan sous chef is found dead outside their establishment.

Sarah’s life is pretty full in this book. There is a whole secondary storyline featuring her two animals RahRah the cat and Fluffy the dog and the veteran run vet clinic.

Riley Miller, the late sous chef is also a pretty visible character even in death. She was a big fan of motor bikes and  made it her mission to ride with others who owned a bike every weekend. She dated and dumped quite a few guys in her young life and so the suspect pool was pretty large, to say the least.

This one was a hard one to figure out but I enjoyed the chase as Sarah stuck her nose into the investigation. Lots of great characters here and a rich community that just jumps off the page. Loving this new to me series. Definitely one I want to continue on with.

If you like cozy mysteries, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
Another good addition to this story, this book is as enjoyable and engrossing as usual.
It's was great to catch up with the characters and to live their small town live.
The mystery was solid even if it sometimes it took the backseat.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Three Treats Too Many by Debra H. Goldstein is the 3rd book in the Sarah Blair Mystery series, and another fun addition. Sarah and Emily are twins who are very different. Sarah is divorced, and is working at a law firm as a receptionist.  Emily is a chef, who is high achieving.  Due to an inheritance Sarah was able to invest in Emily's new restaurant.  When a restaurant opens across the street, Emily and Sarah are concerned, especially when their chef is murdered.  Once I started this book I could not stop reading it. It was a quick read that kept me guessing. I look forward to the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book for all cozy mystery book lovers.
I have not read the previous books in the series, so perhaps that colors my review. Also, I was interested in this book because of the description and the positive reviews on the first two books by others. With that said, I started reading with high hopes, but came away feeling this one was just a little too cozy for this cozy fan.

This book should appeal to those who like a steady hand at the writing wheel. There’s plenty of small-town ambience and small-town goings on. With that said, it felt like the small town goings on got in the way of the mystery. On the plus side, the plot did move at a steady pace and I didn’t know who the killer was until the end. Also, there were some twists that surprised me—and that’s always good.

The bottom line is that there were pluses and minuses to this book, but with clever cover art and plenty of food and pets, Three Treats Too Many is clearly targeted at pet and foodie mystery fans.
This was such a fun cozy mystery!

Sarah Blair and her sister Emily are ready to open their new restaurant. When her rival opens a restaurant right across the street, Sarah is determined to get the building inspector to come sooner rather than later. When the sou chef of the rival restaurant is found dead on the night of the grand opening, can Sarah help to find the killer before they strike again?

I really like this series. It's super fun and the characters are all enjoyable. I liked the story and truly had no idea who the killer was until it was revealed. I was a bit bothered by Cliff, the love interest. I adore the rest of the characters, though. I liked that Sarah has a fun personality. She is comically bad at cooking. I can't wait to see what's next in the series!
Sarah Blair has a big problem, bigger even then the major delay in opening her restaurant that she co-owns with her twin sister, Emily and Emily's boyfriend, all due to a slow moving inspector. This bigger problem has two legs, flaming red hair and is her "late ex-husband's bimbo" AKA Jane. Jane has just opened her restaurant, Jane's Place right across the street from the hopefully soon to open Sarah's business, Southwind. What could be worse? A whole lot, it soon turns out. Jane's vegan sous chef is bumped off and Sarah's friend Jacob lands in the hot sear as prime suspect as far as the police are concerned. Not if Sarah has anything to say about it and the investigation begins. Turns out Riley, the victim, had some secrets that added up to being a motive for murder but which one of the long list of possible suspects did the deed?
There are lots of characters in this mystery and there were a few times when something external distracted my reading and I had to reread a bit to get back on track but that was not enough to lessen my enjoyment of every page. The puzzle kept me guessing and yes, I guessed wrong - that's fine with me. Spending time in the company of Sarah, Emily and Marcus is always a treat. RahRah, Sarah's cat, a lovely alpha Siamese and her newly adopted dog, Fluffy, put their own mark on the case at hand.
If you are new to this series, by all means enjoy this one but make sure you have the previous two books in the series lined up to binge read. The first book, One Taste Too Many, sets the stage for the rivalry between Sarah and Jane and RahRah has a starring role.
My thanks to the publisher Kensington and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Three Treats Too Many by Debra H. Goldstein is a splendid tale of deceit and sorrow.

Will Sarah find the murderer before her friend is under arrest?

Sarah Blair
Sarah is our sleuth, a legal secretary, friend to many, and she is the human of RahRah (a siamese cat) and Fluffy (a cute white puppy). She is pulled into action as Anne's brother Jacob is the main suspect in the killing of his former girlfriend and chef, Riley. Although she doesn't want to be involved, her curiosity is peaked. But Sarah is leary of Anne's motives again.

Sarah is sweet. However, she is still dealing with some past issues, and sometimes those views cloud her judgment. I am glad that she is working on it and moving past some of them. This girl can't cook much, but she doesn't let that stop her from having luncheons for a house full. Oh, the way she shops with pictures is unique.

The Mystery
Riley, the vegan Chef of Jane's Place, is found murdered in the restaurant's dumpster area. It seems that everyone loves Riley, and there isn't anyone that would want to hurt her. However, that isn't what Sarah finds when investigating. Then the one person that could have done the deed other than Jacob is killed in a biking accident.  Coincidence? Only Sarah and the murderer know whodunit.

Four Stars
This story is a good mystery. The secret and motive were well hidden and played out well. I enjoy the parts with RahRah and Fluffy, but I wish there were a few more of them. Oh, and Maybelle is fabulous. My rating for Three Treats Too Many by Debra H. Goldstein is four stars. I do recommend this to all cozy cat readers out there.

And there are some lovely recipes at the back of the book.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Great Escapes Virtual Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Thank you for dropping by! I hope you enjoyed this review of Three Treats Too Many by Debra H. Goldstein.

This Guest Review is for Baroness' Book Trove.

Until the next time,
~Jen

If you would like to see other reviews like this one, check out BaronessBookTrove.com.
When a romantic rival opens a competing restaurant in small-town Wheaton, Alabama, Sarah Blair discovers murder is the specialty of the house.

For someone whose greatest culinary skill is ordering takeout, Sarah never expected to be co-owner of a restaurant. Even her Siamese cat, RahRah, seems to be looking at her differently. But while Sarah and her twin sister, Chef Emily, are tangled up in red tape waiting for the building inspector to get around to them, an attention-stealing new establishment—run by none other than Sarah’s late ex-husband’s mistress, Jane—is having its grand opening across the street.

Jane’s new sous chef, Riley Miller, is the talk of Wheaton with her delicious vegan specialties. When Riley is found dead outside the restaurant with Sarah’s friend, Jacob, kneeling over her, the former line cook—whose infatuation with Riley was no secret—becomes the prime suspect. Now Sarah must turn up the heat on the real culprit, who has no reservations about committing cold-blooded murder . . .

Debra Goldstein furthers the character development of protagonist Sarah Blair in Three Treats Too Many. Far from the naïve character in One Taste Too Many, Sarah is once again drawn into a case of murder. But it doesn’t have anything to do with her family or her ex. This time she’s defending a friend from a murder charge with the help of her cat, RahRah, and new puppy, Fluffy. Observing their behavior provides insight to human relationships.

Secondary characters from the first two books make appearances and enhance the cast of characters. Eloise, the older woman whose boss was killed at the bank in the last book, is now a strong councilwoman contending with the aggressive Anne Hightower, now a mayoral candidate.
Sarah’s mother, Maybelle, contrasts to Eloise. Jane, Sarah’s ex’s bimbo (her words not mine) finally gets a comeuppance, and yet, she’ll probably survive to be a pain for another day.

The Sarah Blair mystery series is a continuing pleasure to read. My interviews with Debra about her first two books can be found here and here. Stop by our comments page to leave Debra a message or ask a question.                                     E. B. Davis

In an effort to get commerce in from nearby Birmingham, AL, the Wheaton council rejected an Entertainment district in favor of mixed-use zoning. Jane’s Place restaurant is next to a veterinary clinic. Has the council traded one set of problems for another?

No question about that. In the earlier books in the Sarah Blair series, I promoted the concept of an Entertainment District to introduce the pros and cons of economic development and what might be the driving force behind different opinions on the subject. In Three Treats Too Many, by having the mixed-use zoning concept adopted, I was able to explore some of the problems that may occur when competing interests are involved.

When Jane’s Place opens before Southwind Restaurant, Sarah’s twin Emily and her partner Marcus’s establishment, everyone in the neighborhood goes to the opening. Sarah’s associates are checking out the competition. Have you known those in the restaurant business? Is there friendly competition between them? I’ve heard that it can be a cut-throat business due to low profit margins. So, I wonder if friendly is saying too much.

Birmingham, Alabama, where I live, has become known as a foodie city. Although there is some rivalry and dislike between some restaurant owners, that would probably be the case if these individuals owned similar businesses in another field.  Many of our chefs, at some point, trained under our James Beard winners and then went out on their own. My observation of those individuals, and their subsequent disciples, is that they respect and support each other. In Three Treats Too Many, the days of Sarah and Jane being friends is long gone, but it isn’t only because of the restaurant competition between Jane, Emily, Marcus, and now Sarah.

Because the veterinarians are also in a motorcycle club and they have a parking lot, many members of the club park their bikes there. Wouldn’t they have to get permission to do so from the council to do so?

I don’t think so. Although it appears that a lot of the town belongs to this social motorcycle club, there are only a limited number of bikes being parked on a pad on the side of the veterinary practice’s building. The riders aren’t congregating, demonstrating, holding meetings or rallies, or doing anything else that would require a permit. They aren’t even taking up space in the actual parking lot. Besides, Wheaton is a small town where the way it is sometimes takes precedence over the way it should be.

Is Birmingham a big biker area?

To my knowledge, Birmingham has its share of bikers, but no more than other urban areas. What it does have, according to Guinness World Records, is the world’s largest motorcycle collection housed at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Visits to the museum, a friend who also is a motorcycle collector, two teachers I met, who did not meet my stereotyped image of a biker, and a local group that does charity rides sparked me to write the motorcycle club into Three Treats Too Many.

Botts and the first murder victim, Riley Miller, a young chef, have a romantic relationship that seems to be floundering. Sarah sees similarities between them and her puppy, Fluffy, and her cat, RahRah’s relationship. What is it that Sarah sees?

RahRah, like Botts, demonstrates alpha male characteristics. They are both in control, not always kind, and put their own pleasure/desires ahead of the feelings of others. Riley and Fluffy are quite capable, but they become subservient in the hopes of pleasing Botts and RahRah. It is this behavior pattern that Sarah observes. Although she thinks it is amusing watching Fluffy be dominated by RahRah, she finds the same pattern in Riley and Botts disconcerting.

What Sarah sees contradicts what people have told her about Riley, who was a flirt and used men for her own gain. Is Botts more of a user than Riley?

They are users in different ways. Botts is showier and maybe even a little shady, but both are direct in going after what they want.

Sarah is no fan of Acting Chief Dwayne Gerard. She is surprised that her boss, Harlan Endicott, a lawyer, and Gerard act like friends. Is Harland “keeping his friends close and his enemies closer?” Or has Harlan developed a respect and friendship with Gerard?

Sometimes, people who don’t see eye to eye on things still find it is more politic to interact with each other. Harlan is a straight arrow who uses the law to help others. He also, except maybe with Jacob, is a good judge of character. Knowing that Chief Gerard can be a bit lazy or jump to conclusions before all the facts are in, he has learned that he can temper things by using honey rather than coming at Gerard in an attack mode. Harlan also is good at indirectly suggesting ideas that the chief carries out as if they are his own.

The vegan dishes that Riley makes take top honors at Jane’s Place and draws in customers. Is the vegan diet that popular?

Just as there are many people who follow the Keto diet or eat gluten free, a good segment of the population embraces the vegan diet. In this case, Riley’s dishes are a novelty on the menu, but once people sample them, they want more.

Because her friend Jacob is the top suspect in Riley’s murder, Sarah agrees to investigate. Why?

Throughout the Sarah Blair mystery series, the overarching theme is loyalty and caring for family and friends. Jacob is her friend and even though she isn’t sure, especially as different facts come to light, that he is innocent, she won’t allow him to be railroaded if Chief Gerard’s focus is only on Jacob. The other reason she agrees to investigate is because Anne and Eloise ask her to. Sarah feels a loyalty to Eloise and although she doesn’t trust Anne not to manipulate her, she respects Anne’s desire to protect her brother.

Does Sarah always count objects to divert her attention from something ghastly?

If she does, it isn’t a conscious thing. All she knows when she confronts something ghastly is that she must let her mind wander, or the situation will be too much for her to emotionally handle.

What is Rolling Thunder? Do motorcycle clubs still participate or has it been disbanded?

Rolling Thunder is an advocacy organization. It seeks full accountability for prisoners of war and individuals missing in action. The organization has chapters which carry out the group’s mission and do charitable events. In 1988, as a First Amendment protest, the Rolling Thunder event was created. Through 2019, at least two hundred thousand motorcyclists gathered each Memorial Day weekend to ride a designated path from the Pentagon parking lot around the D.C. Mall area. Problems with extra security needs and limitations imposed near the Pentagon led to the ride’s official demise; however, with a different sponsor, the event, or one similar, is planned for 2020.

Do military dogs often end up with PTSD? Is there treatment for them?

A 2011 New York Time article quoted Dr. Walter F. Burghardt Jr., chief of behavioral medicine at the Daniel E. Holland Military Working Dog Hospital at Lackland Air Force Base, as saying:
"By some estimates, more than 5 percent of the approximately 650 military dogs deployed by American combat forces are developing canine PTSD. Of those, about half are likely to be retired from service.” As canine post traumatic syndrome has become more recognized, treatment therapies used include vigorous play, love, downtime, and desensitization counterconditioning. If a dog cannot be rehabilitated at its home base within three months, the dog is assigned to other duties or discharged from the service.
Jacob’s sister Anne is on the Wheaton town council and is running for mayor. Sarah and Anne have never gotten on well. How does Anne manipulate Sarah? How will Sarah defend herself?

Anne manipulates by words and playing on Sarah’s emotions. Highly intelligent, Anne can whip out an idea that Sarah agrees with in principle and before Sarah knows it, Sarah is the one doing the behind the scenes work while Anne gets the glory. When readers meet Sarah in One Taste Too Many, she lacks confidence in herself. She was married at eighteen, divorced by twenty-eight, and the only thing she got out of the marriage was RahRah, her Siamese cat. Although never physically abused, Sarah’s ex-husband mentally abused her to a point that after the divorce Sarah questions the correctness of everything she does. Anne, demonstrating some of the same riding roughshod traits as Sarah’s ex-husband, is able to take advantage of Sarah’s instinctive docile reaction to box Sarah into doing things Sarah really doesn’t want to do, but as Sarah regains her sense of self-worth in Two Bites Too Many and Three Treats Too Many, she finds it in herself to  stand up to Anne or at least to mentally be ready for Anne – up to a point.

Sarah is going out with Cliff. She questions his relationship with Riley. He explains, but he makes a point of saying that he would only justify his actions in this one instance. Does that mean they aren’t in an exclusive relationship? Not sure if this is a good sign for Sarah.

Cliff has issues in his background that make acting in a trustworthy and honest manner important to him. Sarah, because of her treatment by her ex-husband, has problems trusting. Consequently, when she questions his relationship with Riley, her questions come from her inner fear that neither Cliff nor anyone is what they seem, while Cliff reacts as he does because he believes a relationship implies trust. Although both may want an exclusive relationship, their emotions may preclude it from being with each other.

After Riley’s death, Jane asks Grace, Emily’s younger chef, to become a chef at her restaurant. Grace refuses Jane’s offer. Why does Sarah think it could be Grace’s motive for murder?

Sarah tries to find a motive for everyone, other than Jacob, to have killed Riley. Sarah thinks Grace may be too guilty to take the job or have done it, but wants to demonstrate a loyalty to Emily and Marcus so that when she finally takes the job, no one will suspect her hands are dirty.

When Sarah and Harlan walk dogs at the shelter, Sarah finds out the Jacob lied to him. But Sarah lies to Harlan, too. She claims not to have known that Jacob and Riley dated in the past, but Mandy and Grace just told her that they did. Why did Sarah lie to Harlan?

That lie may have been an author mistake or that Sarah believes her conversation with Mandy and Grace had an element of confidentiality to it. She also may believe she can learn more, for her amateur sleuthing, by leaving the door open for Harlan to talk.

Most defense attorneys know that some of their clients are guilty. Why is Harlan so distraught about Jacob being possibly guilty?

Harlan is a small-town lawyer with a big firm brain. No matter what kind of case he is handling, he does the best job he can for his client. But, as I previously mentioned, he is a straight-shooter and he expects that when he deals with other people. It’s not Jacob’s innocence or guilt that upsets Harlan, but the fact that Jacob lied to him.

Is Sarah interested in Dr. Glenn? She seems relieved that Carole turns out to be his sister.

Yes. But Sarah is disturbed by her interest in him because of her relationship with Cliff. She can’t understand how she can be in a relationship with one person but feel excitement about another.

Is it the other’s smell that repels cats and dogs? I didn’t know that.

In doing research about the relationship between cats and dogs for Two Bites Too Many, I came upon that tidbit and it stuck in my head until it founds its way into Three Treats Too Many. Its true accuracy hasn’t been proven, but it is recommended that a dog and cat be introduced to each other very slowly to give them time to establish a relationship built on smell.

Why does Harlan second guess Sarah? Will she ever tell him off? Will he ever tell her he loves her?

Harlan doesn’t really second guess Sarah, he simply doesn’t want Sarah to get hurt. Consequently, he believes she should leave any investigating to the proper authorities – Chief Gerard or him. Harlan gave her an opportunity to work, recognizing her lack of skills and confidence. In his own way, he helped nurture her personal growth between books 1 and 3, but he doesn’t want to rush her or take advantage of their relationship – again, trust comes into play. When he tries to make the slightest move, she is torn, but her decision not to jeopardize her job overrides any interest in having a relationship while she works for him.

What’s next for Sarah, RahRah, and Fluffy?

I’m excited about Three Treats Too Many and the many opportunities for character growth that it leaves open. I enjoy introducing new scenes and new characters. Book 4 in the series, Four Cuts Too Many, has already been turned in and will be out in June 2021. Still set in Wheaton, it will take a wider look at the Carleton Junior College campus. There will be another book in the series out in 2022.
While Sarah Blair's sister's restaurant is having trouble opening due to a slow kitchen inspector, rival Jane's restaurant hosts a free open house for Wheaton, Alabama's "Who's Who." Her new sous chef Riley has prepared vegan dishes which are the hit of the party. But not everyone is pleased with Riley--after the event she is found dead by her ex-beau Jacob. He was on the scene screaming for help but Sarah is convinced that the Jacob she knows would never harm anyone. When another member of the motorcycle club also dies under mysterious circumstances, Sarah strongly believes the two are connected. But could trying to help a friend cost Sarah her life?

I really enjoyed this book. While it is helpful to have read the prior two in the series, it can be read as a standalone. It was very well-written, and I only put it down due to external factors. There were a lot of interconnections between characters which made the suspect list grow longer as the book progressed. However, I didn't feel overwhelmed as I sometimes do when other cozies seemingly "throw" names out to merely muddle the waters. I fell for one of the red-herrings and didn't guess the killer's identity until it was almost too late. Her relationship with Cliff continues to progress at a comfortable pace for her needs and I am happy that her self-confidence continues to grow after such a difficult divorce

Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington for an ARC of this book. My review is voluntary.
THREE TREATS TOO MANY
The Third Sarah Blair Mystery

While Sarah Blair and her sister, Emily, are frustrated with the delays in getting the final inspection completed so that they can open their restaurant, Marcus is furious. What's even more maddening is that the loathsome Jane appeared to have no problems opening her restaurant right across the street. Jane's fare remains mediocre, but her sous chef has created amazing vegan recipes that have people lining up for more. When the gifted chef is found dead by the dumpster during Jane's grand opening Sarah's friend Jacob, who was smitten with the young woman, becomes the prime suspect. As Sarah looks to prove Jacob's innocence, she soon learns that Riley had more people dislike her than not. Will looking into members of the town's motorcycle club prove helpful or will it be a recipe for disaster?

The third Sarah Blair Mystery introduces new characters as we learn more details about others. I enjoy seeing Eloise's rebel side and learning about the veteran veterinarians. Maybelle is always a hoot. Sarah's romantic relationships seem nebulous. While she admits that Harlan and she won't ever be a couple, her relationship with Cliff, her admitted boyfriend, seems strained. And now we have Dr. Glen. I'm pleased that Sarah's romantic relations remain on the back burner while her relationships with RahRah and Fluffy are more important...and intrinsic to both her character and the plot. I appreciate how Sarah is learning to stand up for herself.

THREE TREATS TOO MANY looks at unrequited love and shameless self-aggrandizement. It reveals the darker side of love while providing a complex mystery. Quick and easy recipes from Sarah prove that even someone dangerous in the kitchen has the ability to make some delightful fare.
While the main thread of "Three Treats Too Many" includes restaurant rivalry, several subplots keep the pot boiling for Sarah Blair and friends. When a new restaurant opens near Southwinds, of which Sarah is part owner, the town inhabitants fall in love with the new vegan dishes offered by Chef Riley. However, when the chef is found dead outside the building after the official restaurant opening, her admirer Jacob becomes the prime suspect. As the plot unfolds, shady dealings with building inspections and romantic entanglements cast suspicion on other characters. Throw in motorcycle riders and barking dogs for added excitement as the plot thickens
 and the killer is revealed.

This clean and cozy mystery is part of a series, although it can be read as a stand-alone novel. However, readers may experience some confusion with figuring out the different characters and their relationships to each other if they have not read the previous books. The characters were somewhat one-dimensional, although the animal characters were delightful.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
Three Treats Too Many is a character-centered Southern cozy mystery—with recipes!

In small town Wheaton outside Birmington Alabama, everyone is entwined in each other’s life. Sarah, her twin sister chef Emily, and Emily’s boyfriend chef Marcus are opening a restaurant called Southwinds. However, they are delayed at every turn by the city’s building inspector, Louis Botts. Louis is rumored to be dating Riley, the sous chef of another new restaurant across the street, Jane’s Place. The chef at Jane’s Place is none other than the bimbo Jane that broke up Sarah’s marriage to Bill shortly before his death. Cliff, the general contractor doing the remodeling of both restaurants, is the maybe boyfriend of Sarah. He is also best friend of Jacob, who worked at Emily and Marcus’ casual pub in town. Jacob, meanwhile, is enamored with Riley (Jane’s sous chef, in case you forgot). And don’t forget Grace, Emily’s sous chef at Southwinds, who is best friend to Riley (sous chef at Jane’s Place, girlfriend of Louis, target of Jacob’s affection, and murder victim by the end of the second chapter). Because of Jacob’s unrequited love for Riley, and his proximity to her when she is found dead, he is accused of the crime. Sarah is once again compelled to investigate. Wooohooo! The South really is different!

The interrelationships between the characters are complex and feel real. Many of the suspects have good motives for committing the crime. This makes the mystery much more interesting. So many red herrings make finding the solution a real challenge. Three Treats Too Many is a great third addition to the Sarah Blair Mystery Series. While it can be read as a standalone, I would highly recommend reading at least one of the previous books first. 4 stars!

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
Sarah Blair 3
  Sarah attends Jane's opening, even though it's the last place she wants to be, and witnesses a disagreement between Riley and Jason, followed by one between Riley and Louis Botts, the inspector stalling the opening of her sister Emily and Marcus' restaurant.
  When Jacob is found out back with Riley's body, the acting police chief isn't looking for other suspects, just to nail Jason for the crime.
  Harley takes the case and Sarah sets to snooping, her best talent. She finds out plenty of dirt, just not what she's focused on, until she accidentally gets caught up in it as the killer is ready to kill again. She keeps the murderer talking long enough for the officer she called just before entering the building and the Police Chief arrive.
  Ms. Goldstein gives us plenty of information, great descriptions, possible motives, but not enough til the end. I read this as I did the first two in one day, it was that intriguing. No sex, gore or profanity, just intrigue. Suitable for all.
  I requested and received a NetGalley ARC to peruse and offer my opinion freely.
I couldn’t really get into this one. Perhaps it’s my fault though as this is the third book in a series and I didn’t read the first two. That’s on me.
I couldn’t keep up with all the people in the story line and I have no clue what’s going and with whom.
I just couldn’t follow the story because of that.  I’m going to go back and read the first two books then try this one again. I can’t fairly  review this book without doing so.