Cover Image: A Fatal Fiction

A Fatal Fiction

This book was very fun to read. I loved the characters. They seemed so real. It caught my interest in the first chapter and then I did not want to put it down until I finished it. I really enjoyed this story. It was full of clever little clues and twists and turns. It really kept me wondering who did it. I loved it. I definitely recommend this book.
This is the first book in the “Deadly Edits” series.  But I don’t think that took away from my enjoyment of the book.  I believe this could be read as a standalone.

I really liked getting to know the main character, Mikki.  She is a feisty 70-year-old hoot!  I loved this cozy mystery that the author wrote with NO ROMANCE!  Thank you, Kaitlyn Dunnett!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishers for my advanced review copy.  All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Books, mystery, atmosphere, and plot twists all combine for an engaging and entertaining read.  This is an easy recommendation to friends and family.
Miki Lincoln is no shrinking violet, and this book proves it. Miki is a retired English teacher who returned to her hometown after her husband died. After purchasing the home she grew up in, she refurbished it to suit her tastes. Now she works from home as a copy editor. Currently she is working on Sunny Feldman’s novel covering the history of her family’s Feldman’s Catskill Resort Hotel. The hotel has passed its prime, and is no longer in business, but is being torn down. In addition, Sunny Feldman is a, 86-year old use to getting own way all the time and has lofty ideas about her family hotel/resort. In town, Miki encounters Greg, a real estate agent and developer, who is trying to develop the hotel property, who asks her not to publish the book as it will ruin his prospects. Sunny hopes the book will help get the site listed as a historical location. Pushed to her limits during the exchange with Greg, Miki loses her temper, and is filmed by people in the town who witness the incident.  The next day, Greg is found dead at the site. Miki has helped out in other murders, and thus now plunges right in to help police on this one.

The novel is well-done.  I enjoyed watching Miki work through clues and possible suspects, figuring out which ones were relevant, and which were not. I found the ending interesting, though I am not sure I would totally agree with it.  I also found some of Miki’s antics beyond belief, as I would never expect someone of her age to be able to do some of the things the author has her doing.  However, all in all, the book was a pretty good read.  I have not read anything else by the author, but will go back to look for others she has written. I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
Kind of nice to have a protagonist of a certain age, with a blend of both Jessica Fletcher and Miss Julia's wisdom at the ready. Mikki Lincoln is retired, but does freelance book editing after moving back to her childhood home in Lenape Hollow. Mikki can count on one hand the amount of times she has truly lost her temper. Unfortunately for Mikki, her blow up at the self serve gas station pump with developer Greg Onslow makes the rounds virtually before the dust settles. Her rant makes her an easy early suspect by the next morning, when Greg is found dead. The history of a local Catskills hotel and the memoir Mikki is working on brings some interesting flavor to the story. It was a good book.
I loved that Mikki is such a feisty heroine and that she isn't your typical cozy mystery protagonist. The novel is paced well and well-written with fun characters and a great mystery!
This is an old-fashioned mystery, of the best kind!  I thought of the old Mrs. Pollifax mysteries as I read this book, thoroughly enjoying the feisty main character Mikki.  Mikki is seventy years old and is not just sitting in her rocking chair waiting for the inevitable.  She is making ends meet during her retirement by editing books.  One of her clients is Sunny Feldman, a lady who used to own the inn that is now about to be demolished.  The demolition is headed by the town bad boy, Grant Onslow, and of course before he can go ahead with the work, he ends up dead.  The cast of characters is numerous, but they all add to the story and mean that the list of culprits that Mikki has to wade through is interesting and kept me guessing.  Mikki is a suspect herself, so she needs to solve the mystery herself before she is charged with Onslow’s murder.  I loved the fast pace, the humor and the whole character of Mikki and how independent she was.  Although this is a series and I have not read the other books, this one can definitely be read as a standalone.  The author did a fantastic job of weaving an entertaining tale that kept me engaged from beginning to end.  Fans of mystery told with humor will enjoy this book.
Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, “Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.”
This book is very enjoyable. I loved Mikki, there's something about a spunky retiree as a protagonist that hits all the right notes. The storyline moved along at a nice pace and the secondary characters are also well written. I definitely recommend this book.
Freelance editor Mikki Lincoln is working a new job, that of editing the memoir of Sunny Feldman, the last living relative of the owners of the Catskill Resort Hotel, which in its heyday was a popular place tourist destination. Now the hotel is being demolished.

While Mikki is working, though, a body is  at the demolition site and Mikki had a very public argument with the dead man the night before, and the video was posted online. That makes her the main suspect, and although she's determined not to get involved, she feels like she has little choice but to to try and get to the bottom of things to keep herself from being arrested.

I've really enjoyed this series. Mikki is a fun character, a retired widow who is making it on her own in her childhood home. She is strong, smart, and carries the book perfectly. The supporting characters are also well written, and are perfect additions to the book.

I was happy to see Mikki's nephew make an appearance in this book. It showed she had family that cared about her, although he tried to take over too much for my liking. But Mikki handled it well.

There is a plethora of suspects in this book, but I have to admit I figured out whodunit before the end. Still, getting there was entertaining. I look forward to more books in this series.

I read a digital copy of this book provided by the publisher through NetGalley.
I am a sucker for cozy mysteries, but cozies featuring spunky retirees are among my favorites.  I hope to be as active and sharp as Mikki in my old age, but maybe a little less sneaky.  This book kept me guessing until the end, with suspects running thr gamut of ages, connections and motives.  I look forward to reading Dunnetts backlist.
Really a fun cozy. Characters are the perfect age group though that might be prejudice on my part :)
Mikki is a retired schoolteacher who does copy-editing as an income supplement. For a person who is normally mild mannered, she still manages to get into an altercation at a gas station with a really nasty guy. As you can imagine in today’s world, someone gets it on their phone and the video goes viral. Of course, I bet you can also imagine that the really nasty guy happens to turn up dead the very next day.

Mikki’s nephew comes to be her bodyguard. A job he is ordered to do by her mother-in-law. Mikki’s husband has died but she still has a very loving family. While she loves her nephew, she did not ask for protection and does not accept having a babysitter very well. Makes for some fun conversation. The author’s dialog between characters is done well and paints a picture of some very feisty over seventy friends. Lots of fun and yet a good mystery too.

Kaitlyn Dunnett has several books published as well as another series. Fatal Fiction is Book 3 in a series titled “Deadly Edits”. All of her publications have good reviews.
A Fatal Fiction was an enjoyable read and the characters were very realistic.  The story moved along well it just felt like there should have been a few more clues sprinkled in.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review.
Don’t mess with Mikki Lincoln. She may be 70, she may be a freelance editor, she may be a retired teacher, but if you push her, she will use her words to tell you just what she thinks of you. That’s what happened to Greg Onslow, CEO of Mongaup Valley Ventures, when he confronted Mikki at the gas station. He accused her of blocking his construction project, and she told him in no uncertain words just what she thought of his unfounded accusations.

Mikki doesn’t lose her temper like that often, but when she does, it’s worthy of being recorded on a cell phone and uploaded to the internet. And when Onslow ends up murdered that next day, thanks to the popular internet clip of Mikki yelling at him, she becomes one of the top suspects.

This is not Mikki’s first rodeo. She’s helped out with an investigation or two already, so while the police don’t take her anger at Onslow too seriously, she takes her involvement seriously and wants to find any information she can to clear her name. Onslow wasn’t an ethical businessman, so there were plenty of other suspects.

There’s always the wife as a possibility, or the man she left for Onslow. There are those he bilked out of investments, including Mikki’s good friend Darlene and her husband. There is the woman that Onslow left for the woman he married. And there is Mikki’s client Sunny, whose memoir about her family’s hotel in the Catskill mountains has the potential to stop his current construction project. If the land where that hotel stood somehow becomes a historic landmark, his plans for the land crumble before him, possibly bankrupting him. Which is what brought on the argument with Mikki in the first place.

As Mikki makes her list and checks it twice, she finds more family and friends on there than she’s comfortable with. But with writing and with investigating murder, the truth matters more than blood, and Mikki is relentless with her red pencil and fact-checking. But will she be able to figure out the ending to this story before the killer decides to edit her?

Kaitlyn Dunnett is back with her third installment of the Deadly Edits mystery series, A Fatal Fiction. This is another tightly written cozy about freelance editor Mikki and her small New York town of Lenape Hollow. I admit that I am especially critical of a book about an editor, and with these I am not disappointed. A Fatal Fiction includes some of the information about the Borscht Belt, the resorts in the Catskills where the comedians and singers would come to perform every year, and I especially enjoyed that part of the book. But the book as a whole is a very satisfying story, a solid mystery with characters who are starting to feel like old friends.

Egalleys for A Fatal Fiction were provided by Kensington Books through NetGalley, with many thanks.
A Fatal Fiction is the third book in Kaitlyn Dunnett’s Deadly Edits mystery series. The books in this series can be read as standalones since good background information is provided, and each book contains its own solved mystery.  The characters are well developed, and there are some and twists and turns and no shortage of suspects to keep the reader guessing.

Mikki Lincoln is a widowed, retired English teacher, who, at seventy-years-old, is back in Lenape Hollow, New York, and living in her childhood home with her Calico cat, Calpurnia.  When she moved two years ago, she realized the repairs the house needed was extensive and decided to supplement her retirement income by becoming a freelance editor.  Sunny Feldman, who is writing a memoir of happenings at Feldman’s Catskill Resort Hotel, hires Mikki to edit the book.  Greg Onslow, the CEO of Mongaup Valley Ventures, the current owner of the now rundown property, believes the book will derange their project, which is scheduled for demolition.  When Greg Onslow’s body is found on the property, Mikki becomes Detective Brightwell’s prime suspect because of a recent public confrontation between her and the victim that was videotaped.  Mikki decides to investigate, and while she knew he’d spent most of his life swindling people, she discovers that there are a lot of suspects.  Mikki learns that her cousin, Luke Darbee, was romantically involved with Giselle Onslow, the victim’s widow, and is on Detective Brightwell’s radar as well.  Mikki is a confident woman, who doesn’t need anyone watching over her, but after seeing the video, her sister-in-law, Allie, she becomes worried about her and sends her nephew, Nick Carpenter, to check on her.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.
A Fatal Fiction was a really fun read! I found the main character, Mikki to be quite engaging.  Mikki is a retired school teacher who lives with her Calico cat, Calpurnia. Mikki  is serious about solving the murder in this mystery. However, I found myself chuckling over Mikki’s plans and  schemes. It’s how she physically carried them out that was both dangerous, yet hilarious!

I thoroughly enjoyed A Fatal Fiction which is the third book in the Deadly Edits mystery series written by Kaitlyn Dunnett.
Thank you NetGalley and Kensington Publishing Corp for a copy of A Fatal Fiction in exchange for an honest review.

This is book 3 of the Deadly Edits series. While a great stand alone book, there are many references to the previous books and if you didn't read them, they might be confusing.

The story revolves around 70 year old Mikki Lincoln who edits books to supplement her pension. This time she is editing the memoirs of Roberta "Sunny" Feldman. That is when she isn't defending herself from being a murder suspect after a very public fight with Greg Onslow went viral. She's also busy compiling lists of possible suspects on her own.

The best character in the book has to be Calpurnia (Cal) her cat who has a knack for being underfoot at all times.
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC.  The opinions are my own.

I enjoyed this story mainly because it is about a person my own age who does edits on manuscripts.  I, too, am doing that for friends.  So I felt a connection to the main character, Mikki.  The author gives hints throughout the book on who the murderer was, but I didn't guess who it was.  The book is an easy read with a few "big words" thrown in for good measure.  I especially enjoyed. the last section entitled "A Random Selection from 'The Write Right Wright's Language and Grammar Tips'" by Mikki Lincoln.  Mikki had written this book and it contains very interesting tips on grammar.
This was a cute cozy.  Mikki  freelances as an editor when she chooses to work.  She is a retired English teacher.  She has been hired to edit Sunny Feldman's book at a resort her family used to own.  Greg Onslow has purchased the property and he doesn't like the idea of Sunny's book.  He accosts Mikki at the gas station and starts an argument.  Mikki takes him down a notch and it is all caught on video.  Now the video has gone viral.

When Greg is found murdered, Mikki is suspect number 1.  It seems someone is trying to frame her.  This means Mikki must find the murderer before she or some other innocent is charged.

I enjoyed the story, Mikki is a hoot and sharp as well.  There were many suspects and some twists.  This was easy to read, but I didn't figure out the murderer until the end.  Great fun.
This is the 3rd release in the new "Deadly Edits" mystery series by cozy author Kaitlyn Dunnett.  I have read the previous books in the series and highly recommend this series. My review opinions are my own. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity.

In this third in series our intrepid protagonist freelance book editor Mikki Lincoln who has been hired to help edit a memoir by a last living owner of a once popular historic Catskill resort.  The resort is scheduled for demolition.  After Mikki arrives  she is seen arguing with a man who is then found dead on the site. As primary suspect number one she must work to clear her name and get to the bottom of why he was murdered and by whom.  As she finds clues amid red herrings she soon finds that much simmers beneath the surface and history of the old resort .

I enjoy this series for our smart savvy Mikki and the well crafted sleuthing. The supporting characters are likable and all add to the plot. The location of a Catskill resort was perfect for this next in series for a summer read I look forward to the next in series.
On The Wrong Side Of The Law.....
The third in the Deadly Edits Mystery series and Mikki, freelance editor and sometime amateur sleuth, finds herself on the wrong side of the law for all the wrong reasons. Entertaining and enjoyable, this is a fun cosy mystery with a likeable protagonist, a colourful cast of supporting characters and a delightful backdrop. Engaging escapism.