Cover Image: The Girl and the Stars

The Girl and the Stars

Mark Lawrence's previous trilogy, Book of the Ancestors, were some of the best books I've read over the last year. So I was delighted to get a copy via NetGalley, many thanks to the publishers!

The Girl and the Stars is set in the same world in which Nona Grey lived, Abeth. This has to be one of the most interesting and unusual fantasy world settings I've encountered. Abeth is a planet circling a dying sun with the ice from the poles relentlessly encroaching on the central green belt. The previous series takes place in this belt, however, the Girl and the Stars takes us to the ice. I felt cold the entire book. This is the story of Yaz, an incredibly determined woman from one of the hardest ice tribes. When she loses her brother, she descends under the ice to save him.

This book is great. Like the previous serious, the setting is so interesting. You can understand how bizarre it must be for people who have never seen the colour green before. The world both above and below the ice is so harsh in different ways and you can really feel the myriad of challenges facing these people in just surviving every day. One thing though, I became a bit obsessed while reading this with how people living on the ice go to the toilet. Do they dig holes? How do the wash their hands? Not knowing this really got to me, I woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night wondering.

While you don't have to have read the previous serious, I think it might help fully appreciate the complexity of the world and the magic. Also, the previous serious is so good, why haven't you read it yet? Go do that, you won't regret it.
A thoroughly enjoyable read! Ashamed to admit it's my first Mark Lawrence's and keen to explore more of his works.

The novel opens with the Girl, Yaz, as she and her clan, the Ichta, made their way to a congregation of clans. One which determines a child's fate: to become an adult of their clan or if deemed weak/broken, thrown into the abyss. Yaz always thought that this is the end of her life, that she's a weakling and does not deserve her place in her clan. While the judgement turned her life upside down but her brother's fate, spun her world unrecognisable.

I think in a normal climate, I would not be able to put this book down but in the current climate, I have been finding it hard to read especially digitally. There were parts of the book which were kinda philosophical and I struggled with that - again, I'm blaming it on the current climate because it's hard to focus these days. Overall though I really love Yaz's adventure and discovery of the secrets of her cruel dark world and it was so full of twists and turns (totally unexpected) all the way to the last sentence. Highly recommended for fantasy lovers who are looking to disappear into another world for a few hours.

Thanks to HarperVoyager via Netgalley for ecopy of book in exchange of honest review
Thankyou to NetGalley,  HarperCollins Publishers Australia and the author,  Mark Lawrence,  for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Girl and the Stars in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
What can I say but I loved reading this book.
The storyline was well thought out and written.  While all the characters are well drawn and compelling,  Yaz is incredible.  I can't wait for more in this series.
Well worth a read.
This was a really interesting premise, but I’m not sure I really liked the writing that much. I haven’t read any other books by the author, I know he’s super popular. I liked the characters and the storyline, but I didn’t really enjoy the writing that much.
The Girl and the Stars was a captivating read from start to finish. Lawrence's world building is excellent, giving the reader just the right amount of information for them to get a sense of the setting and background, without info dumping. Yaz is a delightful character I really came to care about, while the supporting players are also memorable and well drawn. There is a nice balance of drama/emotion and action/adventure, and the epic cliff-hanger ending left me eager to get hold of book two to find out what will happen next. Recommended for fantasy fans. A solid 4 stars from me.