Cover Image: Jesse Owens

Jesse Owens

This is such a remarkable series. I already purchased some of the volumes for my library.
And I am sure going to buy more.
With this books you got that chance to get to communicate even with small children about some real and special people.

And in times likes these it is so important to teach our kids that there have been people, with ideas and dreams who worked hard and get the job done, no matter what.

I really, really love those books and I love working with them and bring some kids to dream of what they can accomplish if the only try.

So thank you for letting me read those.
This book was archived before I was able to download and share my review. Thank you for the opportunity, hopefully I will be able to revisit it again someday.
Wonderful addition to my favourite series of Little People, Big Dreams.
It is important for children to continue learning about Jesse Owens, his amazing talent and his courage in defying Hitler's horrendous ideology. The book doesn't gloss over segregation, prejudice and racism Jesse Owens faced in his life, despite being one of the most famous athletes in the world.
 Thank you to NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
This was a great one - it introduced me to a new athlete I did not know, but it's especially great for children as it handles the themes of racism and segregation and it's a good book to start teaching kids about these subjects. Plus, it's about a great athlete!
'Jesse Owens' by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara with illustrations by Anna Katharina Jansen is a picture book about the famous athlete written for young readers.

Jesse Owens was born in Alabama to a family of farmers.  He was fast at running and got asked to join his school's track team.  This led him to the Olympics in Berlin in 1936.  In spite of all he accomplished, he faced discrimination even at his own celebration dinner.

I loved this celebration of a courageous life.  The illustrations are really great.  This is another great book in this series.

I received a review copy of this ebook from The Quarto Group - Frances Lincoln Children's Books, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
I enjoyed this book. I knew who Jesse Owens was and I feel like he's a household name, but I didn't  know much about him at all. I distinctly remember a picture of him in my history book in school but don't remember much other than his name. This book is a great introduction to his life and I look forward to reading more about him. The Little People, Big Dreams series of books is quickly becoming one of my favorites for little ones.
I like that each of these Little People Big Dreams books teaches a different life skill, something young readers can apply to their lives. This one teaches persistence and self confidence. In Owens we see a figure who was driven to reach his goals regardless of barriers that were put in front of him. We see the value of hard work. We also see how even an heroic figure can be devalued by an ignorant society.
Great book. I love this biographies for children. They are especially useful when teaching about biographies. Kids need more biographies on their reading levels.
I am so glad this book series exists. The illustrations are gorgeous and they are such an easy and fun way to get very young children interested in history early on while inspiring them with stories of little people who have changed the world in their own ways.
I was happy to learn so much about Jesse Owens that I had not known. I don't love the illustrations in this edition of Little People, Big Dreams compared to others. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this digital review copy.
First, I adore this series. This series is great for kids of all ages, but also informational for adults. Every book in this series that I read with the kids, I learn as well. The illustrations and words are informational without being overwhelming. The language used is appropriate for kids of all ages and easy to comprehend without being over simplistic. This, and all others in the series are fantastic!
This is yet another fantastic addition to the “Little People, Big Dreams” series, which is always popular in my house. Jesse’s story is truly inspirational, and is told in a way that is meaningful and accessible to both my young daughter and myself. There is enough detail to keep my daughter interested, but not overwhelmed. The artwork is stunning, as is always the case with this series, and we found much to talk about on each page.

I know that this is one that we’ll be revisiting over time, and I’m sure my daughter will get more from it with every read.

My thanks to the author, NetGalley, and Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Children’s Books for the arc to review.
This biography for kids is about Jesse Owens, a world class runner who overcame extreme prejudice to become an Olympic gold medalist.

The Little People, Big Dreams series is a great series for young children to learn about the great people who came before them.  If you have children or grandchildren who want to learn about the past, you will like this series.

I received a free copy of this book from Frances Lincoln Children's Books and the authors via Netgalley.  My review is voluntary.
Jesse Owens is a new biography for young readers in the Little People, Big Dreams series. I've reviewed a number of these titles and all of them are delightful and exuberant little books which cover the lives of famous cultural, science, arts, and innovative icons while maintaining an age-appropriate level of detail.

Due out 2nd June 2020 from Quarto on their Frances Lincoln imprint, it'll be 32 pages and will be available in hardcover format.

Written by Isabel Sánchez Vegara it's presented in clear, accessible, age-appropriate language. The gentle and sweetly humorous illustrations were well done. The art by Anna Katharina Jansen is appealing and colorful and supports the text very well. Both the illustrations and text are rich in small subtle details which bear a closer look (like the illustrations based on historical photos, of him being a gracious winner at the olympics, and receiving the medal of freedom).

Well written and appealing, I am really enjoying all of these little books. This one is a worthy addition.

Five stars. This would make a superlative reading circle book, classroom library book, or gift. Jesse Owens was an incredibly important sports and cultural icon under incredibly difficult conditions. It's vital for youngsters to learn about racial history and for their caregivers to never forget (lest we be doomed to revisit those awful times). For completeness (mostly for children's school and public library info): there's one illustration showing Jesse waiting his turn to shower while all the white athletes were showering and obviously there are strategically placed bubbles everywhere, but there is one, single, unoffensive, caucasian butt shown.

A truly inspiring book.
I was born in the 1950’s and knew of his exploits at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin. I didn’t appreciate how this political capital for the Allies against Hitler was a touch hypocritical given his struggles at home as a Black American.
This story may surprise a younger generation but this road to equality and racial segregation must never be forgotten. I am pleased to see that Jesse was a humble man and despite being the youngest of 10 siblings worked hard and loved athletics.
He deserves his place in this wonderful collection of titles that covers so many people across many disciplines.
We may not be able to run like the wind but our hearts must be stirred up to confront and overcome any forms of prejudice and discrimination.
I hope others will love and enjoy sharing Owen’s life story with their children. The colours lend to the time and life pre-war. These booklets never disappoint and are worth collecting as these stories stand the test of time.
I love this series: Little People Big Dreams, short, kid friendly biographies, of people they study! This one chronicles the life of Jesse Owens, and shares the racism and prejudice he faced, even when he was one of the fastest runners alive. The soft illustrations add to the text and help children understand on their level who Jesse Owens was, why he was important, and some of the adversity he faced.
This was a short book about an athlete I didn’t know a whole lot about. The bright illustrations are eye catching and were a great addition to the story. This book tackles difficult topics like racism gracefully, and would be a good way to teach children about mistakes that have happened in the past that we don’t want to repeat in the future.
I requested and received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and the Quatro Group in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was a great book about Jesse Owens highlighting his amazing work ethic, his athletic abilities, and his achievements.  I am glad that this series of books is introducing children to people they may not hear about through other learning avenues.
This series is defect fo children, especially those in the ks1/2 age bracket. Well written  and illustrated, this book is perfect for the classroom or library.
I am totally digging this series, so it was only natural to pick up yet another great biographical picture book! And to top it off, a book about sports!!

This time around Jesse Owens is the star. This young boy grew up to be an Olympic runner! From a small town start, to the big leagues, this guy is truly incredible!

I had heard of Jesse Owens but didn't know his background, so this was yet another great book to read. I find that this series makes non-fiction and learning so easy and fun, and as an adult I love them!

Overall, this is another great book! I'd highly recommend picking up this book for your youngsters!

Four out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Group for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.