Cover Image: The Mirror Broken Wish

The Mirror Broken Wish

Changed up fairytales are always a win for me and this was no exception! I can not wait to tackle the other books in the series!
This book was good, but really dragged on. Now I know why, it's the beginning of a series. The story developed wonderfully, the story building was there, but it didn't keep me as interested to keep moving forward with the rest of the installments in this series. I would still recommend this book to others as it's just not one to my tastes.  But an overall great story.
I wasn't really a fan of this one. The concept was great so I was intrigued, but I wasn't really invested in the characters. I'm still curious about this concept so perhaps I'll try another volume in this series.
I always mesmerize with the magical, lyrical world of Disney works which brings out singing, dancing inner child of me! I read this book at one sit and I cannot wait to read the other books in near future.
Actually 2.5 stars
Agnes and Mathilda are friends. Because Mathilda is a witch the whole town is against her, and Agnes begins to be swayed by the town’s prejudices of Mathilda. One day Agnes decides to use and betray Mathilda for her own ends. Seventeen years later, Agnes' daughter, Elva is gifted with magic. Elva asks Mathilda to be her teacher. Mathilda instructs Elva on how to control her magic.

In Broken Wish, Elva is the main character in the story. However, I was disappointed with Elva’s development in the story. Elva is optimistic and believes in the goodness of everyone. She loves her friends and her family. Throughout the novel, Elva seemed very perfect and did not have any flaws in the novel. She was a Mary Sue throughout the book. I did not find her a compelling figure.

Mathilda was the most interesting, but she too had very little development. The reader knows that she has been ostracized and misunderstood. However, I found it a little odd that she very quickly takes Agnes’s daughter as an apprenticeship despite her friend’s betrayal. Her actions did not make any sense. I did like that she had an aura of mystery about her. Thus, Mathilda had the most potential in the novel but failed.

Agnes also had little personality. I never understood why Agnes is afraid of her daughter having magic since she uses it to benefit herself. The story also keeps constantly mentioning that Agnes regrets her betrayal but there are no scenes to show that she does regret it. I also did not understand why Agnes is described as kind, but she seemed to be selfish and mean. She used others for her own ends and did not seem to regret it. Thus, Agnes was a character who did not match the novel’s description of her.

Overall, this story is about friendship, family, and forgiveness. The message of the story is to not be afraid to let others into your lives and to accept help when it is needed. The characters are one-dimensional. The stereotypical villains seem to have no relevance in the plot and could have been deleted from the story. There were no vivid descriptions of the setting of the German town of Hanau. If it wasn’t for the name, I kept forgetting it was set in Germany because it could have been set in any European country with its vague details of the setting. The historical details of Germany in the 1860s were also touched upon, and I felt that the author did not do much research on the era or town she was writing about. The story moved at a slow pace. It was not until the last few pages that anything happened. Still, I like the fairytale elements in the story. Broken Wish had a lot of potential, but it just fell flat. It would have worked better as a short story or a novella. I recommend Broken Wish for fans of Allerleirauh, The Healer’s Apprentice, and The Fairytale Keeper!
I have elected not to read and review this book due to time constraints. Thank you for the opportunity.
I enjoyed the concept of this new series by Disney-Hyperion a lot. I look forward to the rest of the books in this series.
Loved this fairy tale twist! Readers will be lined up for the next in the series to visit this magical world again!
This story does not live up to expectations—and I mean that in the best possible way. People make bad choices, and they have to reap the consequences of those choices. A promising romance goes sour. And the character who tries so hard to heal those who have been damaged…doesn’t get the reward she deserves.

Because Dao keeps things unpredictable, the book is hard to put down. I was sneaking pages during class, during my lunch, passing period…you get the idea.

Characters are very human—which makes them wonderful, relatable, and flawed. Dao is able to help us empathize with them, even when we’re mad at them. Even Elva, who could easily be too good to be true, makes mistakes and second guesses herself.

The first part of the book is a little slow, but it’s crucial setup for when Elva comes into the story.

Possible Objectionable Material:
Magic. Threats and mild violence. Social isolation.

Who Might Like This Book:
Those who like flawed characters. It has a fairytale feel to it, so if you like fairytales, you will probably enjoy this. Those who don’t have to be given a happy ending.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

This book also reviewed at https://biblioquacious.blogspot.com/2022/01/for-fans-of-less-than-happy-endings.html
This novel gave me such a sense of nostalgia. It was an interesting ride and I can't really put into words how much I loved it. I cannot wait to see where the other books go.
This one seems super interesting. It’s a rendition of Snow White and the mirror. This is one you will not want to miss. Amazing first book.
At the beginning of this book I wasn’t sure what was going on as it begins with Elva’s mother; however as the book progressed it made sense and added to the complexity of the story. I enjoyed the layers the author created in this story. I’m am very character driven and I felt that Elva was a very basic character. She didn’t have the depth I was hoping for.
I can’t wait to read the rest of this installment! The start of a series following a cursed family and how our actions affect more than just us. This book teaches of the values of loyalty, friendship, and acceptance.
Compelling and captivating writing make this fairytale come alive on the pages. While I found this somewhat predictable, it was still a really good read. It is also a wonderful set up for the next three in "The Mirror" series of which this is book 1. There is quite a bit of material for the next three authors to work with and I'm very excited to see what comes next.
This was my first Julie C Dao book but it definitely won't be my last! I loved the vibes of this one and how magical it felt and I can't wait to continue reading her books!
When Elva witnesses a devastating vision of the future, she makes it her mission to make sure that nothing like it can ever happen. This leads Elva into tapping into her magical powers for the first time and readers are sent on an amazing adventure with magic and more.

The book explores themes of friendship, how power can be isolating and of course, what can happen when promises are broken. Well-written and fast-paced with exceptional world-building, Julie C. Dao's Broken Wish (The Mirror #1) is a dark fairytale that I couldn't get enough of.
Magic. Evil. Magic Mirrors. Witches. This book has all the perfect ingredients for a lovely, dark fairy tale! I loved the story!
The Broken Wish is a story of a family dealing with a multi-generational curse that stems from a broken promise.

I really enjoyed this fairy tale-esq type of story. It was very easy to read, but didn’t have the usual feel of a middle grade novel. The story was complex, sad, and told a wonderful tale of what happens to those that get “othered” and what some good people will do to fit in. The ending was slightly unsatisfying (I wanted more!!) but I understand this is the first in a new series.

Highly recommend especially for kids in the higher middle grade reading levels.
I love retellings and Julie’s other series so I honestly enjoyed this so much! The characters, the lore, everything. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would
I absolutely LOVED this book! I dove in not really knowing what to expect as I have not yet read any of Julie Dao's previous works. I was hooked from page 1 and could not put the book down.

The story takes place in the late 1800’s Germany and centers around Mathilda the Witch of the North Woods and 16-year-old Elva who has discovered that she may have magical powers. There may, just may, be a family curse involved. Please just pick this book up and give it a read for yourself. I have purchased two copies to gift to both of my nieces.

I now plan to read all of Julie Dao’s backlist titles. I also cannot wait for book #2 in this series to be released in 2021.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hyperion for allowing me to read a copy of this deeply engaging tale.