Cover Image: Lore

Lore

This is just a sample, so this is not a review for the entire book. However, I can say that I am already in love with this book but devastated it is only a sample. Lore is such a unique take on Greek mythology. This book is a mix of Greek mythology and the Hunger Games. I found it very difficult to put this down, and I cannot wait for the entire book.
This sampler has me so excited to read the full book!
The Agon sounds brutal and exciting and I wonder how Lore will handle it. She's run away from the competition, but now she has an alliance with a powerful god to end everything once and for all. This starts out a bit gory, we see a god come back to earth and immediately kill another god. The games begin immediately.

These first few chapters already have me sucked in and I can't wait to see how the games play out!
๐˜™๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜บ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜“๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ (6 ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด) ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ ๐˜•๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜บ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ.

I am definitely hooked with this Greek Mythology book after digesting the first 6 chapters of the unedited version of the book (thanks to Netgally โค).

This book is definitely going to be an epic book (I AM EXPECTING IT TO BE) judging from how interesting the story concept is well written and well organised, the suspense and just how everything was actually done well so far. From the prologue and introduction of characters were presented and I am already hooked after they just got introduced and also the names. THE NAMES. THEY ARE WELL MADE MY GREEK MYTHOLOGY FANS.

The characters my dear greek mythology fans, I can really feel how good they were written and I am so excited to accompany them to their hunting festival (I am also obviously nervous thinking the about the hunt for immortaly-I mean immortal greek gods and goddessess both old and new).

The author is doing a good job with the suspense and the slow-burn especially with the concept that the cover had which is Medusa and technically Medusa is nowhere to find yet and I can't seem to guess or theorize well on exactly where will we get to see that or where and when will the transformation or the appearance enter the story and I AM LOVING IT.

This is really a must read and I will definitely get a copy of this book (and hopefully my request for the actual book will be approved ๐Ÿ™ˆ).
This was just a little sampler but I am so excited to get to read the rest of this book! I love the whole idea for this book and the cover is everything!
LORE is a tale worth witnessing.

In New York, the hunters are converging to hunt the Greek gods of old. Thousands of years ago, nine have staged a failed revolution against Zeus. As punishment, Zeus created the Agon, a hunt. Every seven years, these gods will fight in their mortal vessels and hunted down as prey to any ancient heroโ€™s descendant. The successful hunter will ascend to immortality, gaining the slain godโ€™s power.

Lore, orphaned, and hurting, was sought out by a wounded Athena to face her destiny. She spent years trying to avoid the hunt. She wants out. But Lore also wants revenge.

Okay, it sounds like the Hunger Games for the gods. Yes and no. Winning the hunt and gaining power is not the end. There are more at stake. Alexandra Bracken cleverly created new mythology from the backbone of ancient Greek and carefully slipped in issues that affect the world today โ€“capitalism, social injustices, and morality. I feel a current moving thru these pages, pivoting on a complex plot and intriguing characters. Readers will want answers, and I cannot wait to start my 2021 reading year witnessing this bookโ€™s ascent.

Review live on: https://www.thepagewalker.com/2020/11/sample-review-lore-by-alexandra-bracken.html
November 30, 2020; 7:30AM CST
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this excerpt!

I am often tired of books in which the mortals fight the gods...its been done and I generally do not enjoy it. But I was curious enough about this one to try an excerpt.

I liked the writing and the concept seems solid. Lore is interesting enough as a character and the gods have me curious as well.

I'm holding judgment until I can read further. But so far I am intrigued.
I received a chapter sample from net galley before the release of this book.  I didn't realize it was only a sample, so now I just can't wait for Jan 2021 to come so I can get a copy of the full book!  Love Greek mythology, and can't wait to see how this one plays out.
The Agon is a punishment that occurs on a seven-year cycle.  This is when nine Greek gods are forced to return to earth as mortals and be hunted.  If they are killed, the person will take the divine power and the immortality that comes with it.  Lore decided not to participate in the ritual because her family had been brutally murdered by another bloodline.  As the next cycle begins, though, Caster (a childhood friend) and Athena (one of the last original gods) both ask Lore for help.  Will Lore take the chance to leave the Agon for good?  What costs will Lore need to pay to reenter the contest?

Lore is a stand-alone fantasy novel that is full of action and backstabbing.   Readers who are not familiar with the Greek gods can still enjoy this story because Bracken gives all the basic information needed to enjoy the storyline.  Events transpire primarily across New York City and those who have visited or watched movies about NYC will recognize many locations.  It is nice to read a good fantasy that isnโ€™t part of a series.  I recommend Lore to all fans of Riordan and Hamilton.
From the few chapters that I got to read. It was absolutely incredible! The storyline was real gripped your attention right away!  The characters seemed detailed and well thought out! I canโ€™t wait to read more of this book when it comes out!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a expert in exchange for an honest review.
Oh. My. Gosh. I can't wait until I can get a full copy of this book because this was AMAZING. Even in these first few chapters, this book drew you in, and I am so ready to read the rest! I am obsessed with this book! The author did a great job with the setting and characters for this book! However, I do hope that they go more in-depth with the main character, Lore's backstory later on in the book because I have a couple of questions about that, but otherwise, the author has done a stunning job with this book, or at least what I was able to read in the sample. I recommend this book to people who love twisted Greek mythology!
This was a chapter sampler when I requested I thought it was the actual book I donโ€™t like reading chapter samples because Iโ€™d rather wait for the book
Whoo, I can't wait til this comes out in January! The sample contained the first 6 chapters and I'm hooked - it seems like the type of book that will fill the Percy Jackson hole in my heart. I got serious Hunger Games vibes too. Highly recommend that you add it to your TBR list!
Hell.. This would be already a 5 stars from me just from the chapter sample alone. It has already drawn me in; the story is promising and I already loved the characters. Lore and Caster!! I can feel it, I can feel something brewing between them and I want it! From their first meet-up, I was already hyperventilating, what more on their upcoming scenes. Also, I loved that the background histories of the families and the Agon were presented well, I was able to understand everything quickly and got absorbed into it. I want more, January please come quick.
So glad I got to have a preview of this book.  It just makes me realize how badly I'll need it come January.  It pulled me in immediately and was like a instantaneous fire.  LOVED IT.

5/5 stars
Lore starts off strong, with a compelling concept and writing that supports it well. I love mythological elements of all sorts, and that's definitely something present in Lore. It's been compared to Percy Jackson, and I can see the similarities there, but the approach taken is different. In Lore, gods and mortals are at odds over power, and there's conflict being set up there. The prologue does a good job of laying this scene, a world where gods are punished and hunters vye for their power. The characters introduced have a place in this world whether they want it or not, and the journey that they are being put on feels like it could be impressive.

Because this review is for a sampler, I can't say whether or not I recommend the book as a whole, but I can say that I look forward to being able to read this in full and I will certainly be keeping it in mind for when I give recommendations.
Lore looks amazing!  I feel like my high school students, especially the fans of mythology and Percy Jackson, will have an instant attraction to this book.  I only read a small sample of the title, but from what I read I know that I will be preordering this for my library.

Pros: Would be easy to promote to students through read-a-likes, book talks, and that amazing cover!

Cons:  The beginning was somewhat hard to follow.  I felt like I was dropped into the middle of the story.  That being said, even though I was confused, the beginning stole my interest.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this stunning book!
I read a chapter preview of Lore by Alexandra Bracken via NetGallery, a story about a young woman brought back into a world full of Greek myth that she tried to leave, caught in an alliance with the Goddess Athena. The first few chapters of this sampler were wonderful, introducing Lore and the urban fantastical world in a fast-paced fashion that had me hooked. This take on Greek mythos combined with Bracken's own take on new gods in a modern setting captured my love for similar modern takes on mythology while creating something completely new. The character I am particularly interested in following is Athena, her cold personality and how she will develop. I am curious to see if the rest of the book will continue the same standard and keep me addicted. I have high hopes for Alexandra Bracken's new book and can't wait for January 5th to roll around.
This chapter sample has me excited for this book and I can't wait to read the full book.I absolutely love Greek mythology so when I heard about this book I knew I would enjoy it.
This chapter sample made me so excited for this book, and I cannot wait to read the full thing in January! Greek mythology is one of my favorite subjects, and when I found out that this book was happening, I was beyond excited, especially since Alex Bracken is one of my favorite authors. I thought the writing was wonderful and the sample definitely built suspense and left me hanging on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. Will definitely be pre-ordering this one!
I was only able to access a sampler, so I can't give feedback on the novel as a whole, but honestly ... 5/5 for that cover alone?

From what I WAS able to read, LORE promises an exciting new entry from Alexandra Bracken, with everything I've come to expect from her novels. It's incredibly well-written, combining familiar classical elements with an adrenaline-rushing storyline involving mortal gods, vengeance, and shifty alliances. From this little taster, I'll certainly keep an eye out once LORE hits the shelves in January!