Cover Image: Lore

Lore

The idea of a Medusa retelling was what initially caught my attention, but it’s more a Athena retelling mixed with hunger games and that’s fine. Although Medusa wasn’t the main character  “Lore” was amazing.
The story came together towards the end and all the questions I had were answered.
Thank you to Disney-Hyperion and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this copy.
This book was awesome! I loved how the author portrayed greek mythology and it kept me fascinated on every page.
Reading the excerpt of this book has let me amazed. Cant wait for the complete version. Alexandra Bracken once again demonstrates that she is a fantastical author with this retelling of the greek myth
Lore has been receiving mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it! I loved the twist on Greek Mythology and the characters truly shined in this story. I also really appreciated that it was a standalone and the ending was satisfying. So much happens in this book and I enjoyed every second of it!
I received sample chapters and i have to say that it has definitely peaked my interest to read the book.
Lore was fast-paced and engaging! I got a bit lost in the background of the premise, and it took a while for the alliances and motives of each character to become clear. This book would have been much better served as a duology in order to flesh out some of those details; in addition, that would give the reader a moment to figure out these complicated histories and get to know the characters better. By the last quarter of the book, I felt like I was on a roller coaster and not necessarily in a good way.
This is just a chapter sampler, but it made me want to pick up the book for sure, and I'm excited to see where it goes!
This was just a preview of Lore, but I very much enjoyed what I saw so far. I don't have that much to say, other than that I'm looking forward to getting to know these characters more as I get to read the entire book!
This chapter sampler definitely whetted my appetite to read the whole book.  I am very intrigued and can't wait to read more!
i love greek mythology and i thought this book was excellent and left me wishing it wasn’t a standalone. i definitely didn’t see the plot twist coming
An interesting peek into the full book and I'm super excited to see where this goes. Still haven't had a chance to grab a finished copy but very excited about this one and heard some good things.
“By the gods-- Sea, fire, and women are the three evils."
"I've got another proverb for you," Lore said. "Go fuck yourself."

"The eyes of the gods are upon you."

2.5 Stars

Here is the thing. This happens in a week. Although there are CENTURIES of stories/legends/prophecies jammed into this book which makes it extremely confusing. I didn’t mind the friends to lovers. I did mind the gap years and the flashbacks. Don’t get me wrong I love her writing. I didn’t like the structure of the book. Great cover. I really loved the side characters (CASTOR, MILES, and IRO :) ) and houses more than the main character’s own house. Miles and van are endgame. Finally, I hope Iro finds her mother someday.
Very anticipating read; although I could not actually get through my copy due to time, it got good reviews and is a book that we bought for my library. Mythology revisited is always a read I want to do, and I am excited for this read when I have time to go through it.
Thank you to NetGalley for a preview of this novel in exchange for a review.
The first few chapters of this novel give a really good taste of the characters and the premise. Immediately after finishing what was provided, I knew I had to read the rest of it as soon as possible. After finishing the novel, I can say that it is truly a gem and that the bit provided in the sample was what really got me hooked.
I've realized that YA is a hit or miss for me and I don't think I'll continue on with this book. I wanted to love it but I couldn't mesh with the writing style.
I really liked the sample of this that I got! The sample was highly intriguing, and I'm very excited to read the rest of the book.
Disclaimer: This story includes bloodshed and mentions of rape.

Set in modern day Manhattan, Lore must participate in the Argon- a hunt designed by Zeus a thousand years ago. Drawn into the world she thought she'd left long ago, Lore must face her past to stop a monster in the form of a new god.

This was a beautiful way to bring Greek mythos into our modern world. Nine Gods and Goddesses are mortal for seven days every seven years, hunted by descendants of Greek heroes. Readers are shown how these families have adapted to the world we mere Unblooded know while also ingratiating themselves into positions to help cover up the bloodshed of the Argon.

We follow Lore, a young women that escaped the Argon and the families. At least until Athena shows up half dead and wanting to ally herself with Lore to kill the new god with Ares's powers. Diving back into the world of war and death, Lore runs into Castor, her old friend and training partner that she believed had died during the last Argon.

As we follow Lore and her allies, loyalties are tested and new enemies arise. This story will keep readers on their toes until the last page. It's a story that you will never forget.
Lore by Alexandra Bracken was a creative new take on Greek mythology. I loved the slow, quiet romance of Bracken’s Passenger and Wayfarer, and in comparison Lore was a whirlwind. The pacing was great and I appreciated that the author did a lot of research on Greek mythology and the culture of ancient Greece. The book had the same urban fantasy vibe that I got reading the Mortal Instruments for the first time. While I enjoyed the story I felt like something was missing.
I am not typically a huge fantasy reader, but this one caught my attention and I am SO glad I finally took the time to read it!

My teen and I both love Greek mythology, so this was a captivating read for us both, we really enjoyed the characters. My only struggle was that it would be easy to be lost with ALL the details if you weren’t familiar with the Gods.

For me, it was fast-paced and full of action, it captured my attention and made me want to keep turning those pages!

Thank you to NetGalley + Disney Publishing Worldwide for providing me an advance reader copy of this sampler in exchange for my personal review! I was able to read the full book & it was a great read.
I was afraid from other reviews I might not understand this because I am intrigued by Greek mythology but have not gotten to read up on it I was very lost for a good bit of the book but towards the end I got it. Would like to give it a re read to grasp it better. As I do everytime I read a book a second time. This book was about    Following gods and mortals in the mortal world, Lore follows our main character who does not want anything to do with the gods who murdered her family. But when a childhood friend and wounded goddess shows up on Lore's doorsteps, she needs to put her feelings aside and help her friends. Recommended for fans of Greek mythology if you have a good understanding of it.