Cover Image: Lore

Lore

Thank you, Netgalley, for an eArc chapter sampler of this!

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Alexandra Bracken stories! The story kicks off immediately. Who is Castor Achilleos? What exactly is the Agon and what are the rules? Why was Lore's family killed? How will Lore navigate these death traps.

The world and its rules are a lot to take in though. If you persevere through to Chapter 7 though you'll be rewarded with info that'll help you get your bearings and enjoy the story more.

It's a classic "I've left the [mob, gang, team, etc.] and I don't want to be part of it again, but something's happened and it looks like I'll have to be part of it one last time." Which is the kind of story I love. Definitely made me want to buy the book, but I settled for putting a hold on it at the library.
Sign me up for anything greek mythology!

I recieved an excerpt for this book only but what I read was very intruiging and I am interested in ready more. The storyline seems compelling and the story well-written.
*disclaimer: I won an arc from YallStayHome*

If The Hunger Games was for Shadowhunters but also Greek Mythology.
Lore is a thrilling new standalone fantasy from the author of The Darkest Minds.

It takes a good 100 pages to gain enough background knowledge needed to understand/enjoy the book, and a great many pages beyond that to understand all of the twists and secrets going on in the Agon. Even at the end, a few things are left unresolved (or at least unknown to the reader). This is the one downside to the book, but the reader is finding out the information at the same time as the characters, so at least we are not the only ones confused, even they don't know what's going on.

Something helpful for keeping track of characters is the lists of hunter houses in the beginning and the lists of gods/characters at the end (at least in the ARC). If you find yourself overwhelmed with names, look to those.

I did enjoy reading Lore though!

Warnings: There is a lot of violence and bloodshed (it is a killing game), mentions of attempted sexual assault
Compulsively readable and interesting twist on the Greek Myths we all think we know, and kudos on a strong female character with common sense. Can’t wait to read more from this author!
I'm intrigued by the premise of this story and loved the scrappiness and determination of the characters.  They felt very realistic and the language was gorgeous, especially in the beginning when Lore was describing the fight.  There's a level of grittiness to this story, about a girl who keeps getting pulled back into this world where she can't leave well enough alone.  I'd definitely consider continuing with the rest of the book.  Thanks for the opportunity to read this sample of Lore and I look forward to working with you again soon!
This sampler was incredibly interesting and hooked me right into the story. I’m already invested in the characters and the situation at hand.

I also think it’s done a great job of establishing the world. I already have a pretty good idea of what is going on and the intricacies of the Agon and all the gods! Definitely an amazing beginning!
Thank you, NetGalley for letting me read the chapter sampler in exchange for my honest review.

The chapter sampler is a great read. I got to read the first six chapters, and I was hooked. The beginning was confusing, but later it all came together. The storyline is fantastic, and since I love anything that has to do with Greek mythology, I fell in love with the story even more. The plot is intriguing. I just got the physical copy, and let me tell you, it's a beauty!! All in all, it looks like it is a pretty solid page-turner of a YA urban fantasy book. However, I will give an in-depth review once I read the complete book.
As a result of my various committee appointments and commitments I am unable to disclose my personal thoughts on this title at this time. Please see my star rating for a general overview of how I felt about this title. Additionally, you may check my GoodReads for additional information on what thoughts I’m able to share publicly. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this and any other titles you are in charge of.
Action packed, gritty, high stakes beginning of this Greek mythology inspired tale intrigued me. I followed by reading the entire book and ordering for my college-aged daughter.

This is for older fans of all things Percy Jackson and want a more mature, romantic world to escape to.
LORE
By Alexandra Bracken
Pub date 1/5 /21.    4 out of 5 stars
SYNOPSIS:
 Every seven years, the Agon begins. As punishment for a past rebellion, nine Greek gods are forced to walk the earth as mortals, hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines, all eager to kill a god and seize their divine power and immortality. Long ago, Lore Perseous fled that brutal world in the wake of her family's sadistic murder by a rival line, turning her back on the hunt's promises of eternal glory. For years she's pushed away any thought of revenge against the man--now a god--responsible for their deaths. Yet as the next hunt dawns over New York City, two participants seek out her help: Castor, a childhood friend of Lore believed long dead, and a gravely wounded Athena, among the last of the original gods. The goddess offers an alliance against their mutual enemy and, at last, a way for Lore to leave the Agon behind forever. But Lore's decision to bind her fate to Athena's and rejoin the hunt will come at a deadly cost--and still may not be enough to stop the rise of a new god with the power to bring humanity to its knees.

I was so excited to get this book as an ARC from #Netgalley  and #Disneybooks ,  The character Lore  was vivid and vibrant , I can easily see this becoming a movie for Disney plus, and please cast her with Miley Cyrus! Remember the Don't Call Me Angel video? Well there is super fighting..super hero girl that easily would fit her . The book is non stop action,..and the blood and death would be loved by anyone fond of DC or Marvel Universes. I liked Miles character..and can't help wishing Dan Levy would get this lovable role.

I wish Bracken would have taken a little more time with back stories of some of the characters: Van was a little murky for me.   I wanted to be as invested in the side characters as I was Lore and I just wasn't there. I liked that there was LGBTQ  representation  with Miles and Van, although she could have written more of them into the story, I felt it was a little by the way.. VAN has "feelings" . The cover is gorgeous.. ..and the world building was creative,  however it would have been better if the gods and goddesses  had a more defined space , " ascending" was that heaven or are we to believe they went back to chariots and Greek columns?

All in all this one of my top five fave books in January and I will be keeping this in mind  for my Good Reads faves of 2021!
**I received the first 6 chapters of Lore through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.**

According to Booktube, Lore is one of the most highly anticipated fantasy books of 2021. Curious, I requested Lore through NetGalley, not realizing I had only requested the first 6 chapters and not the entire book. However, these chapters captivated me. I didn’t like the beginning, as I have read so many books recently where the main character is in the fighting ring. However, once I read past that part, the complicated storyline sucked me in. Lore (from what I could tell in these first chapters), is a sensitive, kindhearted and loyal woman who does not want her friend Miles embroiled in her complicated life. I enjoyed the banter between Miles and Lore, and their easy relationship. Even though I caught only a glimpse of Castor, I was intrigued enough to be curious about how he is involved in Lore’s past.

Athena is well-developed, even in the few scenes in which she appeared. She is fierce, haughty, and comes with a “mortals-owe-me-everything” attitude. I liked her, Miles, and especially Lore and am excited to get my hands on the rest of the book.
Thanks to NetGalley for the free copy!
This was the first piece of work I have read from Alexandra and I can say that I really liked what I read! Being Greek myself, I really appreciated the ancient Greek in there! The whole story (or rather the part of the story which I was given) reminded me of my first-second grade; studying mythology and learning about the Olympian gods, it really brought back very nice memories! Melora is really likeable as a character, very well built to be honest. Athena is, well, Athena. Exactly how we knew she would be haha. The idea of the Agon is really unique in my opinion (someone said it's an Olympian Hunger Games, which I totally agree with lol) I liked the story that much that I went ahead and bought the full book (now published) which I will read as soon as possible. Overall, a really promising start; looking ahead to reading the full story!
In this book we followed Lore who is our main protagonist and she is the last of her family line. Set in New York City where anyone can become a Greek God. 7 days every 7 years the Agon begins which Zeus  creates to punish the 9 Greek Gods who rebelled which is ( Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Aphrodite, Ares, Hermes, Hephaestus, Dionyus, Poseidon) any of the nine families, which only five families left (which is not a spoiler) can killed a god and take that God power. The catch is they have to survive for 7 days and will become immortal throughout the 7 years until the next Agon begins. LORE wants nothing to do with the Agon and wants to avoid this with all cost until her childhood friend Castor(💕) who she believes was dead and a wounded Athena who is the original gods wants alliance with Lore. LORE who has no choice must bind her fate with Athena and survive the next 7 days.
  Greek Mythology meets Hunger Games in this standalone. I enjoy this book and really love Lore but Castor is by far my favorite in this book. Love the action and friendship in this story. Overall, I felt the ending was rush and wish for more
I've been very excited for this book and was happy to be able to read a sample. I'm excited to read the rest!
It was a nice and smart read, but I think people who know nothing about greek mythology would be lost. Also it was action packed, which is good, but I wish the story stopped from time to time to explain what was going on. I also guessed all the plot twists, but that's okay. Overall a nice read!
A little confusing in the beginning but I quickly became entranced by Lore and her story. I would like to see some kind of background story on the Agon to better flesh out this competition.
After reading this preview, I was SO LUCKY to get the chance to read the ARC of this book! I don't think I could have lasted until January 5th!
Fabulous story of the Greek Gods!

Mythology meets the Hunger Games... The hunt of the gods for 7 days every 7 years is an interesting and sometimes gory tale.

This book kept me up late into the night reading.

The ages on it may be a little low for some kids, but all in all middle schoolers should enjoy this book.

Lots of blood and a bit of gore but nothing too over the top.  Fits right in with most kids gaming lives.

Give it a go! I'm sure not only your child but you will enjoy it!

And Lore.... wow is she a wonderful character!
Hunger Games meets the purge in this exciting story of truth justice and lots of death. Lord must go back to the Avon even after the murder of her family. But when an person of her past returns she’ll do whatever it takes to survive. Even if it means facing the truth of her involvement with her family’s murder!
The sneak peak that I have read (15% of the book or about 70 pages) was wonderful.  I loved the mythology background and the fight scenes and am looking forward to the rest of the book.  I will post a full review on social media sites once I read the entire book but I have been talking about the book on Discord channels and Facebook.