Cover Image: A Rogue of One's Own

A Rogue of One's Own

I adore this author. Infact, her first book was my fav read last year. I recommended it over and over, so I am very pleased she has written another, with more to come...hint hint.
This novel starts a bit slow, and awkward not unlike the main female character. I believe it is intentionally written that way just like the "Midwives Apprentice" by Cushman, at least I hope it is...
I relished how the characters evolved as the book progressed.
We got to experience mellowing, them learning to trust and love, and development for passion!
I loved it. I didn't want it to end. 😍
The level of detail in this book, about the daily life of the heroine, who is very involved in the women's suffrage movement, will appeal to fans of historical fiction.  Even more than book 1 in the series ([book:Bringing Down the Duke|43521785], how the movement operates is a major part of the story.

The HEA makes sense for the heroine and is an unconventional but fitting choice.

Two stars from me personally, though, because I could not get behind the hero or the romance.  I never really buy the enemies-to-lovers trope, which in this case was one-sided anyway.  I also cannot get behind redemption story lines, where the hero is a willful drunken fuckboy until love spangles in his heart.  In this case, although he encourages exaggerated gossip about himself, the love interest does an assortment of distasteful things for no other reason than because he's bored.  That makes a pretty petty and uninteresting character, for me.  If he drank to excess and visited orgies as a distraction from his memories of the war, that's maaaaybe a backstory I could get behind.  But just because he can't think of anything else to do with himself or his money?  Not someone worth redeming.
I was fearful Evie Dunmore's second book in her A League of Extraordinary Women series wouldn't live up to her amazing debut novel, but I was happily proved wrong.
I didn’t know how I’d feel about this one given how the love interest was portrayed in book one but I must say I do think this is my favorite so far in the series!

“A Rogue of One’s Own” finds Lucie eager to manage her role in the cause to help her fellow women when her plans go awry at the hands of Lord Ballantine her longtime foe who is recently back from India and not shy about living up to his scandalous reputation and with a bargain struck to have sole control over the publishing company it is unclear which of the two will come out on top.

This book has every kind of trope I adore and I loved every second.

Lucie is headstrong and not shy about fighting for the right for women to have a voice and embracing the “spinster” title she has been given by abandoning all roles women are expected to fall in to as wife and mothers and I saw a lot of myself in her as the plot moved along and I think that’s another reason I loved her so much. She talks a big game and is very much the warrior she needs to be when taking on this fight and at the same time she is very awkward and shy but that doesn’t stop her from going after what she wants even if the circumstance is less than ideal.

Ballantine is another character who is easy to love and it was no surprise they allude to him being the inspiration for another character I adore from classic literature. With all the makings of a swoon worthy love interest I never felt like I was seeing a repeat of a character design though the similarities were certainly there. Where this book works best is the back and forth between these two who manage to harmonize and their soft moments are some of my favorite especially when you start to piece together the smaller details that lay in their shared histories and the resolution to those feelings that have been buried behind war and a duty to women’s suffrage and I couldn’t think of a better ally for Lucie.

If each book follows this pattern of being better than the last I dare say I may have a new favorite series and the fact that it is a contemporary is a shock to us all!

**special thanks to the publishers and netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for a fair and honest review**
As much as I liked Bringing Down the Duke, I was more quickly engaged when reading A Rogue of One’s Own.  Perhaps it is Evie Dunmore’s growth as a writer or that Tristan and Lucie’s characters, with their past history, grabbed me from the start.

Tristan is a world weary rogue with a poetic heart.
Lucie is determined and brave, she not only talks the talk of women’s rights but she walks the walk.  She wants to create a big “mic drop” moment to tell the world about her research into women’s lives of quiet desperation, but comes to realize she needs to be more subtle, if she is going to be able to make real changes to the Married Women’s Property Act.

Tristan and Lucie are both seeking freedom from societal expectations and constraints.     He wishes to get out from under a tyrannical father and she wants to have power over herself, like men are able to in 1880’s England.

As the “London Lothario” and the “Suffragist Shrew” begin to fall in love during their clandestine meetings, both begin to trust each other both emotionally and politically.

This Victorian Age romance reminds us of just how much things have changed for women in almost 150 years…and just how much things are still the same.

I liked this quote from the author’s notes attributed to Anne Brown Adams, “The struggle for {married} women’s rights will be a longer and a harder fought battle than any other that the world has known.”

There is an idea floated to Lucie about wearing prettier and more fashionable dresses that suggest a woman "grasping for power" needs to be attractive while doing it.  That will sound familiar to any woman who wants to move up any ladder toward any ceiling.

Thank you NetGalley and Berkley Publishing for the ARC
*Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing for this E-Arc in exchange for an honest review*

I don't even read that much historical fiction much less historical romance but Evie Dunmore has capture me with this series.

I absolutely loved Bringing Down the Duke so I was ecstatic to be approved for this arc and I was not disappointed. The tension between Tristen and Lucie was incredible and it had every trope I love: childhood pining, witty arguments, and enemies to lovers. Plus, Tristan was an absolutely dreamy male lead.

It lost a star because the beginning felt slow and a little like the plot twists were being set up like dominos but oh man, once they all started to fall in the second half of the book I was hooked. I loved the turns, twists, and obstacles that these two had to get through. And I cannot wait until the next installment of these amazing ladies.
Wonderful sequel filled with chemistry! A unique look at the politics of the time and the amount of sacrifice some are willing to give in order to support their passions. Would recommend.
I'm sorry to say, but I just didn't like this book. Even though I loved the progressive back story, I just never liked the main characters.  Although, I can see why they'd be unlikable with their horrible parents. I loved the first book, but this one was just disappointing.
Homerun! This author has done what no one as could, made me fall in love with a historical romance. I thought that I loved Bringing Down the Duke but I was so, so wrong. A Rogue of One's Own built upon what I loved in that book and made it five times better. There is so much to love here, independent women, found family, diverse characters, enemies to lovers, adorable pets, fighting against The Man, etc. Just wow. One of the things that turns me off as a modern reader to  historical romances is that too many times authors gloss over the burdens and consequences that independent woman in the past would have faced. I'll read a synopsis that claims the main character is an outspoken  independent woman but completely fails to deliver on that promise. Evie Dunmore absolutely delivers on that promise and shows in her work the grim and dark realities that women in this era would have faced without dragging you down and making you depressed. Such a deft hand to make it realistic while still keeping your spirits high. I also absolutely adored that the happy ever after, that is requisite of all romance novels, is unique to the main character. Lucie's version of HEA is unique to her and is not the same as Annabelle's (from Bringing Down the  Duke). Congrats Evie Dunmore you have made me a fan of a historical romance series. I highly recommend this work to anyone who is looking for a fresh take on historical romance, this one will not leave you disappointed. Also hats off to the cover artist, its amazingly well done.
I love Lucie.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But there's nothing I love more than the enemies to lovers trope and mixed with a super strong, bad ass, but secretly sensitive female lead. Lucie leads the women's suffrage movement in Oxford. Her group has decided to purchase a publishing house in order to get more of their materials to the public. But a few unfortunate encounters with recently returned from war, childhood antagonist, Tristan, remind her of her goal, but also of her desires. His rogue-ish ways get under her skin in more than one way.

Their chemistry is *chef's kiss* and Dunmore's ability to make characters multi-faceted is my favorite. I will read whatever she writes!
Evie Dunmore has made me a fan. While this one took a little longer to get into than Bringing Down the Duke, I felt like Lucie and Tristan became fully developed characters--with flaws and all. The ending seemed a bit rushed, but everyone got the ending they deserved. I cannot wait for the next  one.
I enjoyed this sequel even more than the charming first book. Lady Lucie and her rogue, Tristan, are clever, independent, strong willed, and have steamy chemistry. The feels really picked up in the second half of the book. Recommended for fans of historical romance and this series would be a great fit for someone new to the genre.
I adored every moment I spent reading A Rogue of One's Own! Evie Dunmore crafts emotionally complex characters grappling with oppressive Victorian expectations in such a compelling, unputdownable way. A Rogue of One's Own tells the story of a banished aristocratic daughter, Lady Lucie "the Termagant" Tedbury, who has devoted her life to the suffragette movement and women's rights, and Lord Tristan Ballentine, Lucie's childhood frenemy/returned war hero rake/soft boy cinnamon roll, who needs to secure his financial situation if he's ever going to get out from under his horrible father's thumb. Sparks fly when Tristan and Lucy become joint owners of a the London Press, each wholly devoted their singular missions and goals...

A Rogue of One's features not just delightfully cozy moments with sassy kittens, friendship (Hattie, Catriona and Annabelle are all back!), chemistry-laced banter, and SERIOUS SWOON, but also many heartfelt, necessary observations on sexism and the toxic impacts of the patriarchy. I'd highly recommend this title for not just fans of romance, but also fans of wonderful stories!
Evie Dunmore has become an author I'm watching, waiting for her next book. A Rogue of One's Own is historical romance fiction at its best. The wonderful characters and brisk plot make this a story you cannot put down until you've turned the last page, and Lucie's feminist crusade ties it all together and adds depth and interest. I imagine this will turn into a four book series -- one for each main character, and I love the way she weaves the four women through the first two books. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to Catriona and Hattie.
Evie Dunmore is unequaled in her ability to make you live and breathe the characters' romantic connection . She absolutely won my heart over with this classic rendition of an enemies to lovers romance. Lucie is the fiery leader of the suffragist movement in Oxford. She certainly does not need or want a man. Enter Lord Tristan Ballentine, most attractive libertine in the realm who also happens to be a childhood nuisance to Lucie. She would have been perfectly fine with his annoying existence if he didn't find a way to insert himself into the one thing she wants to herself- a London Publishing house. But alas, he can't seem to stay out of that affair nor the affairs of her heart. Lucie and Tristan's story is absolutely captivating and with this novel, Evie cements herself as one of my favorite romance writers!
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy of this book.

Evie Dunmore is a new auto-buy author for me. I love the research and love for history that shines through her books, so a whole series dedicated to the Women's Suffrage movement is dreamy. That and Dunmore is a wizard at creating fleshed out characters and strong, believable, I-can't-book-this-book-down conflict. That's hard.

I enjoyed this one even more than the first of the series, so I can only imagine what's to come next.
Lucie, a seemingly fearless suffragette leader, has always been one to shout against whatever tide comes. When she encounters her childhood enemy and notorious rake Tristan, her immediate inclination to scare him off has no effect and she must imply subtler tactics. Unknown to Lucie, this is the opportunity Tristan has longed for. As the two banter and battle against a backdrop rich in historical detail, they have to face more than their personal politics to come together. Evie Dunmore's stubborn suffragettes are quickly becoming some of my favorite heroines and A Rogue of One's Own is a thoroughly entertaining delight.
In the name literature Gods: I truly deeply hardly fell in with this book! What a sizzling, tempting chemistry! I pour down cups of water several times on my Ipad during my read because Lucie and Tristan’s extremely passionate, scandalous love story and growing intimacy can put any ereaders into fire. ( I cannot imagine how I survive if I read the hardcopy. The pages may turn into ashes after several chapters later and I could give my ugliest cries not to read the rest of the story!)

So we have impeccably told historical story-line about women rights, feminism movement, class differences, rights of equality.

We have gutsy, brave, fiery, doer, risk taker, independent, smart heroine and observant, great thinker and strategist, planner, logical, flirty, seducer hero. Everybody needs to wear something fire-proof before getting them closer because from the beginning of the book: their sexy and hilarious banters, their opposites and undeniable attraction definitely makes your heart pumping harder. Turn on your AC and drink something ice cold when you read their dialogues. But I cannot make any suggestions about panties you wear because I’m so sure their killing chemistry will melt them in any second and you may find yourself surfing at Victoria Secret’s homepage to get 6 panties for $35 deal!

And we have unputdownable, exciting, heart stealing, gripping pacing! You want to read more and get lost in their world: breathing hard as if you have already finished 5K marathon, sweaty, hands clenching because some of the characters make you so furious especially a woman character starring with “C” ( small spoiler)!
And you want to start crying so hard at the ending because you want to read more about this amazing couple and you wish the author may write entire series dedicated them. (They deserve at least 2 more books)

Let’s a take a quick look to the plot: Lucie is ready to buy shares of London’s major publishing house, thanks to her financial support of Oxford suffragists group. So she may orchestrate a coup in Parliament for Women’s Property Act by using the resources of publishing company. But her long-time nemesis Tristan Ballentine has other plans. He just bought the half shares of the company which makes them reluctant partners and which puts Lucie into Daenerys Targaryen’s mental situation at the last episodes of GOT! (she turns into fuming mad dragon lady!)

Tristan bought shares with financial support of very dangerous man for using the company as a get-away plan to help himself and his mother who is threatened to be institutionalized by his father. His callous father demands him to make a proper marriage in three months and give him the heir his family needs.
But Tristan is ready to kill two birds with one stone and offers a tempting offer to Lucie, the woman he desires for nearly two decades. He offers her to give the control of publishing company shares in expanse of an indecent proposal. (At least is not married like Demi Moore’s character and Tristan is way too much hotter than Mr. Redford- at least I visualized him hotter after Mr. Wilde’s highly praising-) He wants to spend one night with her. But will one night be enough to distinguish their burning desire! Nope, I’m not so sure!

Overall: I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! So far Beach Read and this book are my favorite romance reads of the year!

Special thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing for sharing this AMAZING ARC in exchange my honest review.
This series continues to surprise and delight me. The writing is beautiful and the story-telling top notch. Evie Dunmore is the new queen of historical romance. I can't wait to see what she does next.
I am not sure I'm at all okay with this strain of anti-hero hero that's popping up in romance novels.

Like, the story in this is very cute and I love the heroine so much and the ending was just...le sigh of dreaminess.

But at the beginning of the book, the hero is just repulsive. There's nothing about him that's likable in any way. He treats people like shit, and while I think the author had reasons for that, I don't care. And I don't buy them. There were ways to accomplish the major plot points in this book without making the hero an absolute wanker. She could have pulled back 33% and he'd be better.

Can't give this any more than 3 stars, and further, I don't know if I want to recommend this to my romance patrons, which is frustrating, because I *adored* the first book.

Thanks to NetGalley and to the publisher for the digital ARC.