Cover Image: A Rogue of One's Own

A Rogue of One's Own

I great follow up to Bringing Down The Duke! If you love historical with a feminist twist you will eat this up. Lucie really grabbed my attention in the first book and I was delighted to read a story that focused on her. Childhood rivals are all grown up and playing adult games in A Rogue of One's Own.
I enjoyed this second book in the world of suffragettes.  It was fun to see the relationship between Lucie and Tristan grow from a battle of wills to more.

This story is historical romance but feels very modern, just like the first. I would definitely recommend to those who enjoy that genre.
“You…you could have had everything. Everything.” Her little shrug was almost helpless. “And yet here you stand, wasting your life—and for what? For what?”

For something you will never understand.
For something she, Lucie, could never go without again.
She looked her mother in the eye. “For freedom.”

A Rogue of One’s Own was an excellent follow up to Bringing Down the Duke. Lucie and Tristan were both equally interesting characters and had some complexities to their character that I enjoyed. At first I was a little unsure how much I’d like Lucie as the main character after reading Bringing Down the Duke, but I actually really grew to like her prickly character.

The chemistry was definitely there with these two. Dunmore definitely has a gift for crafting hate to love romances, and I am here for it. Tristan and Lucie were well paired, and I loved how important equality was for them in their relationship.

This was such a fun read, and I can’t wait to read what Dunmore has in store for us next.
I'm torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars. I really, really enjoyed reading it. It's a fun, fast paced story and Lucie and Tristan are great main characters but there was also a lot that didn't sit well with me (some of these may be considered mild spoilers so tread carefully, dear reader): a villainous and spiteful gay character (though this character does sort of get redemption in the end), using Lucie's "maidenhood" as a bartering chip, the implications of colonialism in Tristan's tattoo, the one person of color being a dull side character, and some of Tristan's predatory behavior.

All of that being said, I still really enjoyed the book and I will absolutely read the next book in the series, though I do hope the author sees some of these criticisms and incorporates better representation into future books.

See this great review for more on the tattoo and colonialism: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3299721565?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Many thanks to NetGalley for a free e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
DNF at 30% in the audiobook. I might try to pick this up later? But the plot is moving SOOOOOOO slowly and I still had so much more to go in the book. At 450 pages, it shouldn't take that long to pick up. I liked the idea of the heroine trying to buy a publishing house for her suffrage activism, but I felt no romance between her and the hero. I also wasn't a fan of the hero at all. Nothing he does is likable and I'm not sure if he ends up redeeming himself, but if I can't get behind the love interest, I have a hard time enjoying a book. I just didn't feel connected to ether of them and having read so much already, I felt like I was forcing myself to read and not enjoying any of it, so I'm putting this down for now.
I had high hopes for this book. Bringing Down the Duke was just okay, but I was excited for the focus to be on Lucie and the women’s suffrage movement. However, there was a  handful of problematic issues which quickly put this one onto my ever growing DNF list.
I say this very often I feel, but I absolutely loved this book!

While I am not the biggest fan of historical fiction, this only being my third one, I really enjoyed being taken back to Oxford and seeing the League of Extraordinary Women still kicking ass and trying to change the law. Dunmore did it again with this book because the chemistry between Lord Ballentine and Lady Lucie was amazing.

From the moment both of these characters were introduced in Bringing Down the Duke I was excited to see what would happen between them! And let me tell you Dunmore did not disappoint.

I enjoyed the enemies to lovers aspect of this story as well as know that Lucie and Tristian were childhood friends.

While Lord Ballentine he was a surprise to me because of how he was first portrayed in BDTD. I am glad that he changed my mind and made me love him that much more!

Thank you to Berkely Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Review excerpted from my blog post over at The Titillated Termagant (https://titillatedtermagant.wordpress.com/2020/10/05/a-rogue-of-ones-own-by-evie-dunmore/)

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Library recommendation: Recommended for public library historical romance collections.

Warning: Hereafter, you chance spoilers. I will try never to reveal major plot points, but to review any book, you must reveal some parts of the story.

______________

Number of titles I have read by this author: 2

Love story speed: Medium burn

Relationship dynamics: The Rakehell Veteran (H) / The Spinster Suffragette (h)

Physical descriptions: Lucie: ice blonde hair, grey eyes; “height, notably short; waist, notably small; bosom, largely absent” ; Tristan: Ginger hair, amber eyes (at times described like they could be hazel), very tall, broad, and muscular, “beautiful”

Sexual content: Some, on-page and explicit

Triggers: Recounted physical and emotional child abuse; recounted animal killing (not by h or H)

Grammar/Editing: My ARC had some typos, hopefully to be corrected in the final version.

Review: This medium-paced novel is set in Victorian Oxford and London. It continues with the same locales as seen in the first book of the series (see my review here). The book features meticulous research, with the inclusion of historical documents and events) with acknowledged artistic license), and significant commentary on women’s social issues of the time.

Lucie and Tristan are the main characters of this installment. Theirs is a relationship that not only needs to navigate a charged quid pro quo arrangement, but also has to overcome long held preconceptions and bad habits in a world of social constraints and familial obligations that both characters fight against in their own ways. One of the things I enjoyed most about their story was seeing at least one historical romance trope flipped on its head with very satisfying results for those of us who enjoy a strong female lead. I also have a soft spot for a hero like Tristan, who likes an intelligent, firecracker heroine, which Lucie certainly is. In terms of supporting characters, Boudicca (Lucie’s cat) is my favourite. I find that animals often are. It was also interesting to view other characters introduced in the first novel through the lens of a different character – especially one who doesn’t like the previous hero, or inspire fuzzy feelings from him, either.

Overall, an enjoyable follow-up to the first book in the series.

Full disclosure: I received a free advance review copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Wonderfully written with a rich vocabulary, A Rogue of One's Own will totally quinch a person's historical romance appetite. Too short and I would loved if it a little longer.
Thanks to Berkley and Netgalley for my free review copy. All opinions are my own. I didn’t love A Rogue of One’s own as much as I loved the first book in the series, Bringing Down the Duke, but it was still an enjoyable read. The fact that this series focuses on heroines that are fighting for the suffragette movement in the 1880s is really ground-breaking in my mind. It’s so nice to see women with a backbone and not simpering damsels in distress. I didn’t love this story of the newspaper owner as much, but I’m looking forward to the next book in the series. 3 stars.
A Rogue of One's Own is a perfect sequel to Bringing Down the Duke. I found the character development to be amazing and it's quite evident that the author conducted a lot of research before writing this novel. I was inspired by all of the work performed by suffragists like Lady Lucie on behalf of women. I found this novel to be even better than the first!
I liked the first book in the series, but I had some serious problems with it, so I was willing to give the sequel a try. Unfortunately it just wasn't good. It started out fine but I didn't really like Tristan and I hated the fact that the only LGBTQ character in the book was the villain. Not to mention the blatant cultural appropriation with Tristan's tattoo. I won't be picking up the next book in the series.
Unfortunately this book is just not for me. I was hoping I didn’t need to read the first book but you definitely do. I felt lost much of the time due to this.
This was quite the ride. It took me quite a while to get into. Once I did, I really enjoyed the middle of the book. Then the end seemed to drag on forever. Overall, I think this book was just way too long. I didn't feel like the woman's suffrage storyline and the romance storyline were intertwined well. Parts of them were, but overall they felt like separated stories. I loved the first book, so I was a little disappointed that this one didn't live up to it. I am hoping Hattie's book will be better.

I received this book for free in return for an honest review.
DNF

The opening of this failed to capture me. The hero is a rather stereotypical rake, but he came off as smarmy more than anything, and I really did not want him with the heroine. Worse, the gay villain with a crush on him offended me. I quit also due to the feedback about the way Indian culture is used in the story.
This is the sequel to Bringing Down the Duke, and I thought it was a long but entertaining read.  It started out with Tristan being quite scandalous, which I was SO excited about.  However he tamed down really quick (womp womp).  I loved Lucie's story and with how tough and serious she is reading her soften up and find the balance of love with fighting for women's rights.  The ending was amazing -- I just wish it was about 100 pages shorter! lol!
Well Evie Dunmore fans - the first book was good, but this book is better! I loved this one and will be featuring it on my recommendation shelf over and over again. The chemistry between Lucie and Tristan is steamy and the character development and the plot will keep even the pickiest of readers satisfied.
A good solid romance that flowed beautifully by the utterly lovely Evie Dunmore. I do think for more enjoyment, readers should read the previous installment with this series!
A Rogue of One’s Own was as amazing, salacious and enjoyable as I anticipated after reading the first of the series. A Rogue of One’s Own is about Lady Lucie, who i had so many questions about after the first book, so I was very excited to read it. I didn’t know what her deal was other than what she did for her band of suffragists. But this book really paints her in a different way as she battles Tristan in the boardroom and the bedroom! A must read!!!
This book was pretty good. I think I enjoyed the first novel of the series a little more, but this was still interesting. The first half felt a little slow, but it picked up!