Cover Image: A Rogue of One's Own

A Rogue of One's Own

This was not as good as the first book of the series and it was way too long. It was a struggle to get through and I really wish I had DNFd it.
I was super excited to receive this ARC for Evie’s newest novel in her A League of Extraordinary Women series! I loved the first one and I was not disappointed in this one! It basically leaves off from where the first one ended, but we are introduced to a new love story that is happening. I really liked that you still got to see some of the characters from the first one and also that you got to meet new ones as well.

It was really cool that with this being a historical romance you are also getting to learn about the times back then and how hard it was for women. The author you can tell researched and used that as she wrote this book. It is just interesting to think about how back then women couldn’t even ride a bike! I like that Lucie is at the forefront of the women’s suffragist movement and it was great getting to see how passionate she was about that, but also how she grew and realized she could also still have a love life on top of it.

I thought the plot was well written, it did take me a little longer to get invested in the story than the first book, but once I got into it I was hooked and rooting for Tristan and Lucie. I liked the banter that would go back and forth between them, they really tested each other and brought out different sides that helped both of them grow and find out more of what they want in life. I liked that they are both unconventional and they work well on that. The writing was clear and flowed nicely.

The characters were well written and it was again nice to see some of the people back from the first book. You got to see how things are with Annabelle now that she is married and then you get to also see the other girls from the first book. I like that you get a glimpse at the end of whose story we are going to get to read next and I can’t wait!
Lady Lucinda “Lucie” Tedbury is a staunch supporter of the suffrage movement, and her current goal is to have the Married Women’s Property Act be amended to be more fair and equitable to women.  Lucie’s passion for her cause and her outspokenness caused her father, Earl Wycliffe, to banish her from their home ten years ago when she was just eighteen.  Thanks to a small legacy from an aunt, she’s been able to afford a place to live and the necessities.  Lucie, along with her friends and fellow suffragettes, have formed an investment group with the intention of becoming controlling owners of London Print, a successful publishing company which will give them the avenue they need to further their cause.  When the deal is finally done, Lucie is shocked to learn that her group is now an equal partner with someone who has been her tormentor for fifteen years.

Tristan Ballentine is a returning war hero, a rake, and a scoundrel.  He was also formerly a friend of Lucie’s brother, and he spent much time at their home, where he showed his affection for, and fascination with, Lucie by pulling pranks on her, and generally being a nuisance.  Now the darling of the ton, Tristan longs to be financially free of his controlling and abusive father.  Unbeknownst to Lucie, he actually owned twenty-five percent of London Print for years, and has just purchased another twenty-five percent.  He’s aware of how Lucie intends to use the company, and he knows that its success will dramatically drop if she does, thus ruining his own financial goals.  He suggests that they forget their childhood antagonism, and try to work together, only to have his character, his person, and his actions denigrated by Lucie. Though her words deeply wound Tristan, they also anger him, as he still seems to have that same fascination for Lucie.  He counters with an outrageous proposal of an exchange of one percent interest in the company for one night in bed with her.

Tristan has sufficient sexual experience to realize that while Lucie may hate him, she also feels a strong desire for him.  Lucie despises her own weakness, which she’s determined to fight, so she refuses his offer.  At least, for a while….

After their night together, Lucie boldly tells Tristan that she wants another.  One more night soon turns into almost every night, and their passion soon becomes affection, then caring, then genuine love, though neither has admitted it as such.  Lucie has begun to trust Tristan, something she doesn’t give lightly, but he still has secrets that he hasn’t shared with her, secrets that will be disastrous to their relationship if she learns about them.

The first thing I have to say about A ROGUE OF ONE’S OWN, is that it’s totally immersive and encompassing.  I got lost in the world of Tristan and Lucie, who are two very flawed and imperfect people, yet were characters I loved.  Tristan is described as being physically beautiful, a gift that he uses to his own advantage.  He has indulged in some debauched activities, as well as many unscrupulous ones, in order to benefit his own interests.  Yet, at the same time, he shows tremendous love and caring for both Lucie, and his mother, doing many things behind the scene, without any thought of recognition.  He endured a lot as a child from his sleazy father, who still attempts to control him to this day.  Lucie, on the other hand, lacks all the charm that Tristan has in abundance.  She is brash, bold, impulsive, and seemingly uncaring of the hurt she can inflict with her vicious words.  She’s also intelligent, dedicated, and willing to listen to reason when her emotions settle.  She took her banishment from her home while still a teenager with strength and a lack of self pity.

I am in awe of Evie Dunmore’s writing.  A ROGUE OF ONE’S OWN has the same captivating quality as her first book, BRINGING DOWN THE DUKE, which was also a five star read for me.  That book does not have to be read in order to enjoy this one, though I do recommend it purely on its own merit.  The struggles of women in that time period are vividly and sympathetically portrayed, along with how Lucie’s own trust issues were affected.  The romance between this couple is outstanding and honest, sometimes painfully so.  I wholeheartedly recommend A ROGUE OF ONE’S OWN to all readers, particularly those who enjoy depth, history, strong characters, family drama, and deception, along with an emotional romance and most excellent writing.
I enjoyed this book so much - informative, educational, and steamy. I would recommend this book to others and the first book in this series.
I really wanted to enjoy this book. I absolutely adored Bringing Down the duke , but had a hard time getting into this one. I would never deny that Evie Dunmore is excellent at writing witty dialogue and interesting, dynamic characters.

Now I will safely admit that I take issue with things that are problematic for a group of people, but I will also acknowledge that none of us are perfect, and no one should expect someone to be constantly up to date on terminology, philosophies, etc. However, when you put something out into the world, it is a responsibility to analyze and question things first.

Would I know that some of the problematic parts of this book were problematic without reading some reviews first? No. Yet, when arc's are available, and editors and publishers read through the book, surely, these things would pop out at you, right? It's a completely personal opinion, but I feel that someone along the way should pick up on these things and point them out... and maybe someone did but the edits were never made. We can only know what the finished product is, not the conversations that happen before publishing.

The first thing that is problematic in the book, is the use of a tattoo on our love interest, Tristan, that is of a southeast naked Asian woman with four arms dancing. Two problems lie with this - one being that it is of offense to the Hindu religion as this is diety that is sacred. Now, we can't deny the history that exists. A white man in that time, even now, can have a tattoo that is obviously racist and culturally appropriating, but with ignorance not understand that. That can be a characteristic of a character, but it was given more importance. In fact, the plot lies solely in this detail. Again, it can be a part of the character but was it really necessary that it was of a sacred religious diety? I will continue to listen to #ownvoices readers and their reviews.

The second issue I had was with the love interest, Tristan, himself. I found a lot of the dialogue was verging on predatory and I was actually sickened by their relationship and how it played out. This is frustrating because that is exactly the thing I want when reading a romance novel. I want to love the dynamic of the two characters that have a love interest.

The third issue I have of this book is the use of the antagonist and the reasoning behind his crusade to destroy the blooming romance between Tristan and Lucie. The whole arc is of a gay man being crushed by the rejection by Tristan, and out of spite and jealousy tries to destroy their relationship with manipulation and lies. I HATE this. I think it is a good motivator for a character because no one can deny that some people do malicious things out of jealousy, but the fact that this showed the only gay character in this light can certainly be seen as problematic.

People in these communities agree, and others in the community disagree. I just think we need to listen and learn.

Now, I did not rate this book so low solely on these problematic parts of the book, but also because of the lack of feelings for the romantic relationship and plot. However, as I said before - I LOVED the dialogue, especially of Lucie. I feel Dunmore has a masterful talent at writing dialogue and tone. Her words flow effortlessly.
Evie Dunmore does it again! I loved Bringing Down the Duke so when I saw A Rogue of One's Own available for request I hit that button!! Thank you Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this one!

Lady Lucie controls one of London's major publishing houses but in order to get a leg up (pun intended) on Parliament she finds herself making a deal with her nemesis Lord Ballentine. I love how passionate Lady Lucie is about her work and women's suffrage. She's a strong independent woman who doesn't let men dictate her life, even her family.

Lord Ballentine is definitely swoony! He's returned from the war and has placed himself in the middle of Lady Lucie's publishing house. The two of them grew up together and they often played pranks on each other. Over time they became enemies but the more time he spends with her the more he realizes that he may have loved her even then.

This book was fantastic. I love getting both steamy romance and historical all in one book. It was a bit slow to start but I think it was more due to my mood than it was to the story itself. I'm so glad I picked up the audio in order to finish it and it was so well done.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a swoony romance read set in 19th century England!
I’m kinda embarrassed to try and write a review about a sequel to a series that, since I never wrote a review for the first book, I now can’t recall the thread, other than a women’s suffrage movement. It is quite funny in spots, and I understand how one moment can create a dynamic that’s hard to shake. Lucie thinks Tristan is spying on her in a moment of privacy when they were children and she grows livid; Tristan, still smitten with her, figures if she’s going to be pissed with him, he might as well rile her up for fun. This begins years of Lucie's torment, as she grows to despise him for his teasing, as well as his reputation as a rake. The sexism of the times is always appalling; the struggles women must go through to survive sobering. While Annabelle and Sebastian deal with both class prejudice and sexism in the first book, this book is entirely about sexism, with greater emphasis on what a single woman must do to survive.
I’m not sure how to compare this relationship—steaminess and all—to the first book in the series. I just have a feeling the punch of the first book doesn’t quite make it here. But I’ll keep reading the series as it progresses.
DNF @ 49% - This book just wasn't for me at the moment. It's not that it's a bad book by any means, but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't care the characters, maybe because there wasn't that much background information on them besides the first chapter? I don't know.. Maybe it has to do with that I haven't read the first book. So I'm going to read the first book at a later time and then get back to this to see how I like it then :) But for now, this just isn't for me. The concept is cool though because I adore historical fiction!
Thanks for the free book, @PRHGlobal/@prhinternational  #partner

4,5 stars

What does it say about a book when you order the prequel the second you finished it? It says that you had an amazing time!

I had seen Bringing Down the Duke everywhere months ago but had not read it. When PRH International offered me the opportunity to read A Rogue of One’s Own, a standalone book in what seems a series of interconnected books, I leaped on the occasion.

And how pleased I am that I did!

That’s what I am looking for as a romance reader!

-Good banter;

-Fiery heroine;

-Roguish male character;

-Past flaws and pains;

-Enemies to lover to have sparkles flying;

-Beautiful words of old that sends thrills to my romantic heart like: rake, ripped bodice, unbridled attractiveness …;

-Historical facts making me ponder my current situation under another light;

-Great friends;

-A cause to fight for;

….

This is one of these reads where everything works together and is calling to me. I read it nearly in one sitting, delighted by Tristan Ballentine and Lady Lucie love/hate relationship played on a background of suffragette’s history.

Prepare thee for several quotes below!

This book follows lady Lucie, from noble birth but cast aside by her family once she decided to openly side for the suffragette’s cause.

Truly Lucie’s dedication and passion for that cause was admirable and awe inspiring.

I never realized how these women had to fight for what I consider my normality today: the right to vote, the right to retain my inheritance and income, the ….

In a ploy to advance the women’s cause and reach more women, Lady Lucie has created a consortium of wealthy women. With their funds, she is preparing a coup to acquire the majority ownership of a publishing company whose lectorate is feminine.

But of course, she never imagined being trifled by her childhood nemesis, the roguish, debauched and alluring Lord Tristan Ballentine!

Friend with her brother, he spent his summers playing pranks on her. Now he has returned as a war hero. Already a real Don Juan he has even more women falling at his feet.

And he happens to have silently bought the other half of the publishing house.

Now Lucie will have to deal with him on a regular basis.

Heated arguments and sizzling attraction ensue. The gauntlet was thrown down and war would begin

« If his lordship wanted war, he’d better batten down the hatches.”

I loved Lucie’s character.

She was loud and brash. Passionate and never afraid to speak her mind. More a fan of plowing through enemy’s lines than to try for subtlety, she’ll be forced to reconsider her strategy and aim for: “Pandemonium by stealth.”

She had lived alone for so long that she became …rigid in her mind and when one of the lady advised her to take a lover to unwind, well it will have a very passionate outcome.

“She had taken a rogue into her bed, into her life, so a mad last tumble in a ripped bodice was a befitting good-bye.”

What was also remarkable was that Lucie truly was dedicated in helping all women, from noble women to whores in need of saving.

She did many acts of kindness but what had me arrested was this quote:

“She could change a fate here and there immediately by going without, but what was truly needed were better circumstances for every woman, every child, independently of random acts of charity. And this was a matter of making just policies in Westminster.”

Because this whole book was about women’s condition at these times and how men held so much power over them. This was truly enlightening.

Tristan was also a vey interesting character and had a real growth in this story. Just focused on debauchery at the beginning of the book, he will show a true concern for women’s condition once he became aware of what they had to go through. His passionate nature and clever mind will fixate on furthering the cause.

And did I mention the sass????

“Avi,” she said. “Lord Ballentine and I have a business matter to discuss. Unless you think his lordship wants the entire street to partake in it, step aside. My voice carries, I have been told.” The brows swooped. “It does,” Avi said. “Carry. You are not armed with anything sharp, milady?” “Other than my tongue?”

I am currently listening to Bringing Down the Duke and having an equally great time so, go read that book!
This was such a good book! It was a bit slow to get into for me but already knowing most of the characters from Bringing Down the Duke really helped. Lucie and Tristan had amazing chemistry and I loved their characters and how they came together. I can't wait for the next book!
I loved Bringing Down the Duke and was excited to continue on this next book in the series. I am always hesitant when it comes to the second book in the series because how can you top the first? Well, mission accomplished, Evie Dunmore. You managed to make me like this book EVEN MORE!

Lady Lucie and her band of suffragettes have come up with a plan to buyout prominent London newspapers to spread awareness for this cause. Trouble is, the rakish Lord Ballantine has got in the way of those plans. They have battles of wills and words. Can she resist his charms and succeed in her plans?

I loved this character of so much. She was unique! Deemed a spinster, she is more interested in the suffragist cause than in her looks and society. She also is unafraid of being different and going against norms. Lord Ballentine came off as a bad boy at first, but he definitely was more than that.

You know I adore my hate to love trope and this one did not disappoint. This will be up there when I think of my favorite romance books!
It falls short of the first book in terms of characterization and gut wrenching emotion, but still a decent read. I don't think I could ever quite put my finger on what Lucie's motivations and desires were in the same way I could for Arabella- perhaps because Lucie's goals are so broad and varied, while Arabella had a comparatively narrow goal. This unfortunately lent Lucie's characterization a nebulous quality. In comparison, Tristan's character growth seemed more developed. For a book about suffragists and female empowerment, I do wish there was less pitting women against other women for the sake of a man. Lucie also felt removed from the suffragist movement, in that I couldn't place her involvement in the context of the wider movement. It sometimes felt like she was leading a small cadre of wealthy, white suffragists within a silo. The parts about Tristan's tattoo could probably have been improved with a sensitivity reader. I will absolutely seek out the third book in the series however, and this is a solid escapist read.
Terrific follow-on to Bringing Down the Duke. Once again, the setting is London, late Victorian period, as the Suffragist movement gains steam. The challenges facing women, such as property ownership, voting, and marital abuse, are an excellent backdrop for the romance between Lucie and Tristan.

We met Lucie in the last book, as head of the Oxford chapter of the suffragists. She is stubborn, determined, and focused on seeing the dream come true. Disowned by her family, she lives on her own with her cat, Boudica, embracing the title of "spinster." She refuses to give up what little autonomy she has by marrying. In this book, which takes place a few months after the previous one, the ladies need a way to publish a report they have compiled. Lucie plans to purchase a publishing house and use that. As the story opens, she has just purchased one-half of a publishing house, where the other two owners are absentees, leaving her free to run it as she likes. Unfortunately for her, the man she buys from informs her that the other two men have just sold their shares also. Lucie's new partner is her childhood nemesis, Tristan Ballentine.

Tristan is an unexpectedly complex man. He has the reputation of a rake, but also a secret identity as a fantastic poet. Tristan has recently returned from the wars in India and Afghanistan. He appeared briefly in the previous book as an unmitigated rake who danced with Annabelle. He is handsome and has quite a reputation with women. His older brother died, leaving Tristan as the heir, something that displeases his father. Dear old dad has arranged a marriage for Tristan but requires a cleaned-up reputation. Tristan has no intention of cooperating until Rochester threatens to put Tristan's mother in an asylum if he doesn't. Caught in a trap, Tristan decides to play along until he can find a way to rescue his mother. He comes up with the idea of republishing his poems under his own name to raise the needed funds. Buying half of a publishing house is the quickest way to do so.

The sparks between Lucie and Tristan are off the charts from the start. The two of them have a history from when they were children, and Tristan took great delight in playing pranks on Lucie. What she never knew was that there were elements of a serious crush involved. As an adult, Lucie played a part in many of Tristan's fantasies. Thrown together as they are, Lucie continues to plague Tristan's thoughts. It isn't too long until Tristan works his way into hers, also. I loved the back and forth between them. At first, it is very antagonistic, especially on Lucie's side. Tristan just wants a chance to live out his fantasies and offers an unexpected bargain. The more time they spend together, the more they realize that they have much in common. I loved watching Lucie open Tristan's eyes to the truths of her cause, and how Tristan found himself sharing more of the real him with her.

The fire between Lucie and Tristan was intense when they finally gave in to it. Neither of them expected that deep of a connection, and both tried to resist it. It takes a long time for each of them to realize their feelings. It was fun to see Tristan demonstrate those feelings without knowing it, by merely being himself. From being there to support her during the ball to his final demonstration of his belief in her, he finally saw that he'd always loved her. There were still some obstacles standing between them, not the least of which was the secret he kept from her. I ached for Lucie when that came out. Tristan impressed me with how he handled it. Fate wasn't entirely done with them, though, and there was one more hurdle. I loved how Lucie dealt with all the parties concerned. I was a little surprised by their plan for the future, but I loved how Tristan was so supportive of what was essential to Lucie.

I liked seeing more of Annabelle and Sebastian and how their life together is going. The house party at Claremont was interesting with all of the undercurrents. Hattie and Catriona also had their parts to play, especially in helping Lucie carry out her plans. I appreciate the strength of the friendship among the four women and how they support each other. There are a few rough spots, but the friendships are solid enough to weather them. Lucie's cousin Cecily irritated me from the beginning, and I wasn't at all surprised at her part in the book. Lucie's mother was pretty bad, too, but she did redeem herself somewhat at the end. I detested Tristan's father.
This series is excellent. The history is so rich and the romance will sweep you away. I’m am already partial to  Historical Romance as a genre, but Evie  Dunmore has hit on something altogether extraordinary. Each book is unique and edgy and will keep you coming back for more. And I need more. I need Hattie and Catriona’s stories and I’m glad to see it looks like we will get them.
The second in the A League of Extraordinary Women series, A Rogue of One’s Own follows Lady Lucie, one of the suffragists, who has her eye set on taking over one of London’s major publishing houses for the cause. There’s just one problem and his name is Lord Ballentine. Will Lady Lucie’s hard work pay off or has she met her match in Lord Ballentine?

This one was a bit slow to star off with and I had trouble getting into the story at first. Once the story did pick up though, I had issues putting this one down. I really enjoyed the banter and chemistry between Lady Lucie and Lord Ballentine and I loved some of the surprises throughout the book. Overall this was a good read with some great steam and gets 4 stars!
I'm always wary when we have our hero portrayed as a rogue, a womanizer, whatever you want to call it. We had already met Tristan Ballantine in the previous book when he tried to charm Annabelle before sweet, possessive Sebastian intervened. I'm glad to say Ballantine redeemed himself. We got to know him and see where he was coming from. Behind the smiles and the flirtation, he is his mother's son who wants to protect her from his abusive father. Growing up, he's had an eye for our heroine Lucie but their first meeting wasn't the best and it started some kind of rivalry where Tristan kept playing pranks on her. And years later, when Lucie tries to have control over a press for the suffragists, Tristan offers it to her one one condition : that she spends the night with him when she desires him for him. Other than his seductive nature, Tristan does have a sweet and protective side, one Lucie will find out with time and experience.

A Rogue of One's Own was another win in my book. It was lovely to listen to and I just adored the ending and seeing them together was so good. They deserve to be happy and I'm so glad they (and their cat) get to have their HEA ;) I can't wait to read the next story in this series. I don't know who will be the main characters but I'm excited no matter who it's going to be.

(Thank you for letting me read and review an ARC via Netgalley)
The author's second novel does not shy away from the problems of Victorian England, while still creating a fun and engaging romance.
4.5 STARS!

"I do not wish women to have power over men, but over themselves." - Mary Wollstonecraft

Evie Dunmore has once again bewitched my heart with her writing! A Rogue of One's Own was passionate, heartfelt, and truly empowering. It had just the right amount of longing and angst that I crave in romance!

Lady Lucinda "Lucie" Tedbury has known Tristian since they were in their teens. She is irritated by his mere presence but she can't help feel attracted to the carrot-head (her words not mine). Everyone thinks of her as a spinster and a shrew but she's a free thinker, and someone who wants to give women a voice in a world dominated by men.

Tristian enjoys watching her squirm... Anything to provoke a reaction. Lord Tristian Ballestine was instantly smitten with the girl riding a horse and he would never forget the time she slapped him. Presently, they're older. Tristian is a veteran and a known rake and rogue. His main goal is to get away from his father's control, and Tristian will stop at nothing to gain his financial freedom. In doing so, he becomes co-owner of the publishing house Lucie has been fighting for.

Their back and forth banter was a definite highlight in this novel and had me giddy like a kid in a candy store! You can practically feel Lucie's attraction through the pages but she fights it every step of the way. Not only was the chemistry between Tristian and Lucie palpable but I loved being front and center of the formidable suffragist movement. It was an empowering time in history to say the least. I was also swept away by the beautiful country sides and the rich details of that time period; really makes me wish I could experience that era just once.

A Rogue of One's Own is just the story you want to read if you're a fan of historical romance. It has the love story, but because of the issues this novel covers it can easily be classified as women's fiction, too.

Once I reached the end of this book I just knew which character would get the spotlight next and I'm so excited for her story to unfold!!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkley through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*
EEEk! Thank you so much to Berkley Pub for this ARC of A Rogue of One's Own, book two in Evie Dunmore's series, A League of Extraordinary Women.
I really enjoyed Bringing Down the Duke, so it was a no-brainer to read A Rogue of One's Own. And actually, color me surprised that I enjoyed book two even more! The characters were likable and endearing (I felt there was much more character development in Rogue than in Duke!), the writing was lovely and rich, the plot moved at a steady pace, and OSCAR WILDE MAKES A CAMEO. (My favorite classic author - yes, Evie had me at Oscar!)
While book one was about Annabelle, Rogue is about Lucie, a strong suffragist who has dedicated her life to The Cause. This alone makes Lucie an admirable character. She is strong in her convictions and dedicated to her life's purpose - she wants equality folks.
Tristan and Lucie have known each other much of their lives and are very much opposites. Lucie considers Tristan a scandalous rogue, and Lucie has her own reputation as being just a few years from an old maid. So what will happen when suddenly Tristan buys half the shares of the publishing house where Lucie owns the other half? Guess you will have to read to find out :).
For fans of:
- Bringing Down the Duke
- Historical fiction and the suffragist movement
- Enemies to loves trope
- English history
- Hottie hot hot lords like Tristan Ballentine *swooooooon*
A wonderful follow-up to Bringing Down the Duke! The enemies-to-lovers trope was used expertly and it was unputdownable!! Eagerly awaiting the next in the series!