Cover Image: Knot of This World

Knot of This World

Martha is worried about her friends Birdie and Denver who are determined to give up their worldly goods (to a large extent) in order to move to a commune in Ojai run by Royal St. Germain.  You would be too!  The Mystical Feather Society my foot!  Off she goes, along with her sister Giselle, Paulina, and Michael, with the support of her honey Yossi, to investigate what's really going on.  And what she finds is murder- the murder of St Germain to be specific.  AND,  he's in Birdie's RV.  Cozy fans know that Martha's going to solve this case but what new readers might not realize is what a wonderful sleuth she is.  A "mature" woman with a wicked ability to quilt (which doesn't figure as much in this installment as in some of the earlier books), she's got great friends who make a family. Don't worry if you haven't read those - this is fine as a standalone.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  One of my favorite cozys and a great read for a hot pandemic day (or anytime!).
Martha Rose finds out that her dear friend Birdie is going to sell everything she owns and give the money to a cult. Then Birdie and her husband will live the rest of their lives under the care of the cult leader. Martha and her friends will do anything to stop this from happening.  Martha organizes a surprise visit to check out the cult/commune. Unfortunately the cult leader is murdered while they are waiting to meet him.
Sadly, the mystery is a very minor part of this story. The author spends a great deal of time explaining how to make a quilt, how to read tarot cards and details about Jewish tradition. This would be a good book to read if those are your interests, unfortunately they're not mine.
Knot of this World is the eighth book in the Quilting Mystery series by Mary Marks.

Calling all older cozy readers - Martha Rose is not your typical twenty to thirty-something cozy sleuth. She and her friends show that sixty to seventy somethings get into as much trouble as younger generations do.  In Knot of this World, Martha's friend Birdie is considering giving up all of her possessions and moving to the Mystical Feather Society,  a spiritual retreat/commune. Martha is afraid it could be a cult, so she and her senior friends embark on an RV trip to visit Birdie's future home. When the commune's leader is found dead in their RV, their spiritual journey takes an alarming  turn.

I really enjoyed that this book was set in Ojai, California - a beautiful setting to contrast with the grim realities of murder.

There are definitely a lot of quilting references. I liked reading about  the description of the Sunbonnet Sue quilt Martha was making her granddaughter. I also liked the contradiction between Martha and her sister Giselle - polar opposites who still like to have each other in their lives.

Martha and her friends may be older, but they are a modern bunch. Their shenanigans include a nudist colony, psychics, tarot card readings, and hikes for dead bodies. The story is very descriptive and knowledgeable in its facts. The killer was easily guessed, but the journey to that discovery was entertaining. It is a fun read for any age.

I received this book as an advanced copy from the publisher through NetGalley, but all opinions are my own.
Martha, Martha, Martha. Just when you think this series can't get any better Mary Marks surprises you and out shines even herself.
This page turner made me lose some sleep while turning the pages to see what happened next.
A FANTASTIC addition to an already great series.
This is the eighth book in A Quilting Mystery Series

Martha Rose is hosting her quilting circle with her friends when Birdie says that she and her husband Denver are thinking of joining a commune.  Martha is of course very concerned that this society is some kind of cult.  Birdie knows that Martha Rose is concerned and tells her to come check it out. So when Martha and Lucy go up to the commune to check it out Birdie tries to find Royal St. Germain but she is nowhere to be found.  As they are about to leave in Birdie's camper they find her dead body.  Martha along with her friends have to catch a killer with Lots of clues and suspects it turns outs. It doesn't take anything mystical to catch a killer it only takes Martha and her friends.

This book had some fun aspects with the tarot cards and paranormal community. I can't wait for the next adventure in this series.
This was another wonderful Quilting Mystery. The protagonist is wonderfully made. She's intelligent, resourceful, articulate and sneaky when she needs to be. Her friends and cohorts are quirky and fun to read about. The plot was intriguing with a whodunnit that was impossible for me to figure out until the very end. I loved reading this mystery and can't wait until the next one. I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.
I enjoyed this book and love cozies dealing with crafts. I will look for more in the series. I will recommend it to others.
Martha Rose is back at it again. She innocently plans a trip to keep her friends from giving away all their possessions and joining a cult. Murder ensues and Martha decides to find a killer. Good, fast-paced read. Would recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
I've read this series off and on, but cults and quilts are things I'd normally expect to find together. However, it made for a very interesting and captivating read.
I enjoyed this book. It has an unusual story and the characters are well done. Martha gets involved when some of her friends want to join a cult. They go to the cult and while there they find the leader shot dead. Martha investigates with some other friends and eventually finds the killers. I was surprised by who the killers were. #KnotofThisWorld #NetGalley
What a fun read! I originally purchased this series for my mom who is an avid quilter and she loves it, so I decided to check it out. Martha and her quilting group are drawn into a mystery surrounding a mystical commune that her friends are thinking of joining.  There is concern that it could be a dangerous cult, which is validated when they discover a murder!
I loved the added mystical elements of this particular installment and even though this was not the first book in the series I quickly caught onto the characters. The only criticism I had was with the character of Giselle, I found her tackless comments more mean than funny and they didn't add anything to the story for me. Other then that I enjoyed the book very much and would read more from the series. i can see why my mom likes it and so many others as well.
This continues to be one of my most favorite cozy mystery series. Martha is alarmed when one of her best friends is determined to join a spiritual cult. She contrives a visit to the compound and the guru ends up dead in her friend's RV. Martha continues to investigate and discovers long lost relatives, extorted money, and a new purpose to her life. I'm growing more fond of outspoken Giselle, who adds comic relief with her barbed comments.
Martha and her diverse band of fellow quilters, friends, and family are all concerned when they hear that old friends are planning to sell up their property and donate it all to a community called the Mystical Feather. In exchange for all their worldly goods, the community promises to care for the couple for the rest of their lives.

The trouble is, it seems as though the rest of their lives may not be that long. Martha and her crew are not in complete agreement as to whether the paranormal-focused community is a complete hoax or not, but they all see evidence that things are not as they should be, including convenient deaths at the rural retreat.

Martha never shies away from a challenge, so she gathers a group to infiltrate the commune and learn the truth.

Things get more complicated and more dangerous from there.

Martha and her friends are interesting, and Martha shares her interesting life with readers through her down-to-earth interactions. This series is definitely about the relationships, but the mystery is presented with clues and supporting facts, so it also sustains interest.

I liked the way the author brings in information about things like tarot cards naturally, so we can appreciate the related plot points even if we don't know much about it. Quilting is very much in the background in this installment of the series, but the continuing characters are there for us to enjoy. It's a cozy story with plenty of twists and turns to keep readers guessing.
I received this ebook from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I saw this book and quickly wanted to read it as quilting has been a part of my life for a very long time. I didn’t realize when I requested it that it was 8th in a series by this author. That being said, I was easily able to get into this book as the author did a wonderful job of character development and world building. This book worked very well as a stand alone.

This book worked for me in so many ways. I was so invested that I truly didn’t want to set it down. I read it in one day. There were many twists and turns that kept me on my toes. I don’t necessarily agree with all of the beliefs in the book but it was tastefully written.

I will now read the first 7 books and will look forward to reading more from this author.
I love Martha Rose and the Tuesday Quilters.  The subject of this episode in the series is one I would rather skip but then I  would miss some great quilting tips.  I do not enjoy 'mystic' activities.

Birdie & Denver announce their intention to sell everything and move to Ojai to join a commune started by a famous psychic and now run by her charismatic son.  Martha & June have serious concerns so the group take a trip to check out the place.  While there, the leader is murdered in Denver's RV.  Rumors fly and Martha finds herself investigating Mystical Feather commune.

Seance, tarot cards, aura reading are all covered in this book.  We learn more Jewish life style activities and quilting tips.   The first parts I did not enjoy, the second parts were what made this so enjoyable.

A well-written cozy mystery.   I am looking forward to Martha & Yossi's wedding.

I give this a 4 /12 out of 5 rating.
Another wonderful story!  The story draws you in and keeps you engaged with thinking of motives and 'what-ifs'.  Martha Rose's group of friends and family add to the story for a truly great read.  I love the knitting tips and depth of information provided.  It makes me wish I had the time to take up knitting.   The only downside of reading this great story is that now I have to be patient for the next novel.
This is the 8th in the Quilting Mystery Series.  Martha Rose is hosting her quilting circle when one of her friends Birdie says that she and her husband and going to sell everything and move to a commune.  Martha and her friends are concerned that this mystical feather society is some sort of cult and they are just after Birdie’s money.  Birdie sees how concerned Martha is, she says it is ok for them to come and check things out.  So, Martha and Lucy go up to the commune to check things out and when Birdie tries to find the leader Royal St. Germain is nowhere to be found.  The group decides to give up for now and pick up some lunch and unfortunately, they find the dead body of the group in Birdie’s Winnebago.  Martha and her friends must now figure who the murderer is to save her friends.  Another good mystery in this series.
One of my favorite cozy series. Martha Rose and her quilting friends are a delight to spend time with. The mysteries are always satisfying and the writing is top-notch. If you are a quilter, you will love the descriptions and tips included, but they do not dominate the book. This installment is as good as always, if a little too heavy on the murder. I love to read about her everyday life more. Marks has created a diverse and engaging world.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book.
Great book
Great characters, they make you laugh
Great mystery, keep you on the edge
Quilter Martha Rose must patch the clues together to solve a murder of a cult leader.
A mystery combined with humor
One of Martha’s friends decides to join the
Mystical feather society,
Martha thinks it is a bad idea, so she goes to check out the commune and discover a murder.
Now Martha must track down killer and debunk the cult.
Loved this book
This is one cozy mystery series that I get excited about when the next book comes out.  It never lets me down and this was no exception.  I just love the main female character.  She is so down to earth and smart.  The supporting characters are great as well.  I never get tired of hearing what they are up to.  I enjoy learning more about the Jewish religion as well.  This is a great series.