Cover Image: Airborne

Airborne

AUDIO BOOK / PRINT COPY COMBO REVIEW. AIRBORNE is the first DiAnn Mills novel I have read, and WOW! I'm impressed. I read this one with my ears and was fully involved in the story, start to finish. We spend a lot of time inside characters' heads, and it's a fascinating place to be. Whether it's our main character's thoughts we're hearing or the mind of the mysterious "The Shield," these insights really move the story forward.

“Quarantine can alter the mood of the strongest of people.”

This is not just a passive story; there's plenty of action, too, and that kept me listening. I got cold chills as the passengers on the plane were realizing that a virus is on board. So many parallels to what is happening right now...it's really amazing Mills wrote AIRBORNE before COVID-19 was even on our radar.

While this is called "romantic suspense," I wouldn't agree with that categorization. There's very little romance (which is my preference) and instead a couple who is working on their relationship, but mostly separately. This is Christian fiction, and Mills does a great job of presenting struggles many of us have in our faith journey. Particularly, she has characters who are reconciling the loving and benevolent God they believe in with allowing the pain, horror, and tragedies that plague our world.

Narrator Charity Spencer does a fabulous job performing the various voices, especially “The Shield” – cocky, confident, cold, and including the chapters told from that perspective worked as a great vehicle to give additional details about the virus and its origins. The performance is thoroughly professional with Spencer’s pacing perfect, and the audio is glitch free.

Suffice it to say, YES, YES, YES. I'll be reading more books by DiAnn Mills, and y'all, read AIRBORNE now.
So I want to say as most readers know it doesn't take an author over night to write a book but having this book release during a world wide pandemic just about did me in. I felt like I was there she could have ripped this from the headlines, it was super crazy. I like to guess who done it earlier on and write it down just to see if I was write in the end. Well in the case I was but it was totally touch and go for a while the author literally keeps you guessing what was around the next corner. I really liked this book I really like Heather and all her friends she made they each had a strength about them that just popped off the pages. Over all this was clean read book and so well worth it.
It's hard to believe that there are people in this world full of so much hatred that they would release a virus to kill innocent people. With the current pandemic that we are living through this story could be from today's headlines. Heather Lawrence an FBI agent is on a flight to Germany when people start getting sick, her estranged husband Chad owns and operates Lawrence Laboratories in Houston. He soon becomes the number one suspect in a virus that has been released on the plane that has infected several and killed a few. A very fast paced and suspenseful story.
This was my first DiAnn Mills book, and I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately it didn't catch or hold my interest, and I set it aside after the 10th chapter. I had believability issues from the beginning. First, I like a fast-paced novel, but I couldn't believe people could go from healthy to dead in 2 hours. That people could catch and die from a disease in 2 hours?

I found it hard to believe that a passenger would take another hostage during a major viral outbreak on a plane because he had to get to Germany on time. Really?

I also found it hard to believe that the powers that be wouldn't get the plane on the ground immediately. I've heard of them dropping a plane into the nearest airport when one passenger has a heart attack, so why would they take hours to decide where to send it when people's lives were at stake?

The dialogue between the main character and her seatmate was a stretch, too. In the middle of a viral outbreak with people throwing up, bleeding, and dying all around them, they're talking about her struggling marriage and the seatmate's dispensing marital advice? Again, so not what I'd be talking about in the middle of all that.

I struggled to connect with the main character. There was a lot of telling vs. showing in the character development, which made her seem very one dimensional.

A tip for future topics -- no one likes to read so much about vomit. Eeeew. Way too much wiping of vomit off of people's clothing, faces, etc. Yuck. Next time pick a virus with less nauseating symptoms. For the gross factor alone, I' don't think I could have made it through.

Again, I planned to like this book, but I just couldn't.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Airborne. It is probably my favorite I have read by DiAnn Mills to date. I am giving it five stars.
Wow this was super interesting, but let's be honest: It hit a little too close to home for 2020. 😂 Regardless, it was still a fascinating read and I loved both main characters! Usually stories with marital struggles\divorce are hard for me to read because I feel like both characters are being so irrational, but this one was really well done and felt very realistic! Really interesting read, but maybe pass on it if you're still dealing with some trauma from this year lol!
I enjoyed this book by DiAnn Mills. It is very applicable for the times we are living in right now. An airborne disease that has been unleashed on a plane and a rush to find treatments and or a cure. Also the need to find out who released it and how it was done. This is a fast paced book with great characters and complex relationships. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy great writing and complex characters.
Airborne by DiAnn Mills

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
_________________________________________________________________________
Story Notes

DiAnn Mills latest is very apt for this day and age and will give you plenty of chills as you race your way through this story with the characters in a fight to save as many lives as possible when a deadly virus hits.

We all know what it feels like to be quarantined, given the year we have had in 2020. The irony of DiAnn Mills writing just such a story at this precise moment in time definitely feels like a God thing to show us that there are plenty of good things that come from tragic situations. This story begins with a FBI agent named Heather who is boarding a plane to Salzburg for a much needed getaway. Her marriage has recently come apart at the seams and her husband doesn’t seem to want to fix things back. There have been many things that tested them through the years but as Heather has done most of the sacrificing, she is near the point where she just wants out. Little does she know that the biggest test of all is about to come. A potent virus released onboard her plane brings death, destruction and fear to all aboard and puts the US on high alert for the fall out. Bringing the plane in for quarantine will be only the beginning of the nightmare before them but Heather has to keep her head. She is scared for herself and the baby she has recently found out she is carrying but with no other law enforcement allowed near the passengers, she becomes the lead investigator among them. Her team will work from the outside but all clues seem to be pointing at her husband as the one responsible for everything. Chad has no motive that she can see besides trying to get rid of her so Heather is hard pressed to figure out what, if anything, he has to do with it all. But they will have to work together to figure everything out before the person responsible tries again, even if it means they have to work through their differences. This story was a great read and very well written. I loved the brokenness of the main characters and how real they were but they also kept doing what they needed to care for others. Chad was a fascinating character as he was so science minded and against anything to do with God. He discovered more than just faith within the pages of the story and it was he that really drew me in the most. I liked Heather pretty well too as she was willing to ask herself the hard questions to get to the truth about the case and her marriage. It definitely wasn’t a fluff piece nor one that could be read without concentration. The procedures of everything was excellently written and the plot was tightly woven together. No part of the story was left hanging and there were plenty of surprises added in. The slow reveal of the culprit was very good and I was glad I wasn’t able to guess them right off. I will certainly be recommending this story to others in the hope that they will enjoy it too. Looking forward to Ms. Mills next very soon!

I received this temporary complimentary E-Book from Tyndale House Publishers via NetGalley in order to provide a fair and honest review. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
Airborne by DiAnn Mills is a very timely suspense novel. Featuring a deadly flu virus targeting airplane passengers on their way to Europe, this book is chillingly real. So real in fact that it was sometimes a bit hard to read. I had to remind myself that it was fiction and not a new twist to the Covid pandemic. All that to say that it was certainly unputdownable! A recommended read if it’s not too soon for you.

Heather Lawrence, an FBI Special Agent, is on her way to Austria for more than a vacation. Her personal life is in shambles and she is endeavoring to gain control after her estrangement with her virologist husband, Chad. But soon after takeoff, people start getting sick — really sick. The terror of an unknown illness is front and center for the reader. Airborne gets a lot of things right — PPE, quarantine protocols, and the race for answers and a cure. There is also the element of social media panic, fake news, and the blame game that eerily parallels what has happened around the world since March 2020. Mills wrote this book way before that, proving what a great researcher she is. A combo of medical thriller and legal suspense, Airborne is a novel that will keep you up late turning the pages. There are lots of surprising twists and turns that keep the characters and the reader guessing. A great faith element is also woven throughout the book as Heather and Chad undergo a lot of changes. Chad is a very unlikable character, and I loved how many stuck with him even as most would have written him off.

I liked Airborne a lot, but understand that in light of all that is still going on with Covid 19, many may be put off by it. If that is you, put it on your maybe list — in a few months you may be ready for a well-written suspense that gives great perspective on what we are going through now.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.
I give this book 3.5 stars.  It was enjoyable yet slightly unnerving to read during a pandemic!
Heather is on route for a holiday when passengers on her plane start getting sick.  The book divulges into the investigation of finding out who was responsible.
I think what let this book down was Heathers relationship with her husband.  It was odd and a little too predictable towards the end.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An estranged couple work from opposite sides of the country to stop a vicious contagion before time runs out.

FBI Agent Heather Lawrence is headed for a well deserved vacation to escape the stress of work and her disintegrating marriage. While on board her flight the passengers began falling ill at an alarming rate, it seems to be an intentional act of biological terror, and her husband is a prime suspect.

A different kind of suspense, because the killer is silent and unseen. A riveting mystery with high stakes, that kept me guessing. I liked how Heather was honest with herself about how she had made compromises on her faith in the past. She is very alert and aware of her surrounding, always observing. I loved how she was able to befriend other members of the flight as well as her compassion for others.

Dr. Chad Lawrence is almost completely absorbed in his job, working towards finding a cure for deadly diseases, to the point where he can't be bothered to be an present husband. Suddenly he is a main suspect in an incident of biological terror, he is put in lockdown and he must find a way to clear his name. I really liked how one of the investigators challenges Chad to consider different possibilities and rethink his life.

Overall, this was a highly engaging read, with a different pace than your average suspense read, but no less riveting. I liked the unique angle that it takes, with strong protagonists and solid themes of faith. A satisfying read that I didn't want to put down!

Excellent read! Very fitting for our times. An airborne virus is released in a plane full of passengers. The virus isn't known and the health community scrambles to find a solution for this deadly virus. Not a pandemic like we're facing but eerily similar.
Airborne by DiAnn Mills feels more like real life as it describes an influenza virus attack on an airplane and the resulting quarantine of all the passengers. I was leary about reading a book like this during a pandemic, but instead of it inducing fear, it helped reassure me that God is in control. FBI agent Heather Lawrence is on this flight and trying to put behind a painful separation from her husband scientist Chad Lawrence. When Chad becomes the chief suspect because of its virus research, Heather seeks to discover the truth and find out who is behind the attack. Time is running out both for a cure and catching a killer.  Mills will have you reading this one setting.
In Airborne, author DiAnn Mills transports the reader to Houston and New York City for an intriguing Romantic Suspense story that will keep the reader guessing and turning the pages.

While on a transatlantic flight from Houston to Frankfurt, Germany, someone releases an airborne virus on board the plane. Houston FBI Agent Heather Lawrence is a passenger on the flight, and she immediately goes into action to figure out what is going on as passengers start exhibiting symptoms of a medical infection. The plane is diverted to JFK International Airport in Queens, New York, with passengers affected transported to Jamaica Hospital in Queens, while the remaining passengers who did not exhibit health issues were held in quarantine on Adams Island in Jamaica Bay. Heather utilizes her role as a behavioral analyst to assist the various state and federal agencies to find the person who released the virus during the flight, but there's just one problem, Heather's estranged husband, Dr. Chad Lawrence, a prominent scientist who studies viruses, has become a person of interest in the case. Can Heather help find the source of the virus among the quarantined passengers before the virus spreads? Can Heather help Chad clear his name and fight for their marriage, or will he fall prey to a setup that will wreck his promising career, and send him to federal prison?

Author DiAnn Mills weaves a fast-paced and suspenseful tale written in the third person narrative that follows FBI Agent Heather Lawrence and her husband Dr. Chad Lawrence on their investigative mission to find the source of the virus, and bring them to justice before the virus becomes airborne and spreads to other areas.

I loved reading this action-packed story. Heather and Chad kept me intrigued as their individual investigative techniques slowly revealed the source of the virus. The reader will be easily drawn into this well written story with its richly descriptive plot that will keep them guessing as secrets, possible motives, and clues are uncovered during the investigation. Halfway through the story I thought I knew who the source of the virus was, but the author does a wonderful job of providing a growing list of suspects to divert you, but by the last few chapters I knew my initial suspect was right, and it felt like I was part of the investigation. I was also intrigued by Heather and Chad's estranged marriage, and how the reason for the estrangement was slowly revealed, but I have to admit that I did not like Chad at all!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how eerie this story is considering what our world has been going through with the Covid-19 pandemic. While the story was written long before this pandemic, it does make you wonder what if ... hmmm ...

Airborne has enough drama, tension, action, dark secrets, and unexpected twists and turns that will take the reader on one heck of a thrilling roller coaster ride.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours.

"Hold on to a glimpse of tomorrow, no matter how thin or fragile."

Airborne by DiAnn Mills is a chilling adventure into the world of a deadly virus unleashed on a plane full of innocent people traveling from the United States to Germany. When symptoms erupt a few hours into the transatlantic flight, chaos, confusion, and fear ensue.

FBI Agent Heather Lawrence is on that fateful flight, taking the vacation meant for her and her estranged husband, Chad. While Heather is one of the fortunate few who is seemingly immune to the virus, she is not completely free from danger. Who would do such a dastardly deed and why? Heather embarks on a journey that turns out to be a bit more thrilling than a European vacation. Quarantined in a facility on an island in Jamaica Bay near New York, Heather and the other survivors are frustrated and scared and mourning the loss of family and newfound friends from the flight. Back in Houston, Texas, Heather’s husband, Chad, is facing his own frustration as he is a prime suspect for developing the deadly virus. Is he as innocent as he claims? Will Heather and Chad follow through with their divorce since Chad refuses to share Heather’s belief in God because it does not align with his beliefs as a scientist? Will the mastermind behind the virus strike again? So many questions, and watching the answers unfold across the chapters is pure entertainment.

DiAnn Mills has the Christian Romantic Suspense genre down, no doubt about that. Airborne is a race against the clock to find an antiviral and an eventual vaccine and to find the evil person behind it all. A few suspects pop up as Heather conducts her own undercover search while in quarantine, even as Chad struggles to keep his temper under control, convince the FBI of his innocence, and restore his career. The entire story is well researched and well developed, with a strong Christian theme throughout and a specific emphasis on the effects of bullying during childhood and subsequent mental illness.

Mills expertly captures the grief and isolation and fear during quarantine and the irritation among all parties involved as the culprit continues to elude detection. The details of Heather’s quarantine are interesting yet mundane, but several exciting events catch the reader off guard and send the story into overdrive. For authors, achieving a balance between the everyday life and highly dramatic moments can be tricky, but Mills has the talent for it and for keeping the reader engaged all the way through to the last page. What a thrill ride!

Airborne is a timely novel during 2020 as our world struggles with an all-too-real viral outbreak. In Airborne, the virus may or may not be contagious, but woe to anyone who breathes it in and cannot fight it, and woe to the world if the evil mastermind is not caught in time.

I received a free copy of this book from Lone Star Book Blog Tours in exchange for my honest review.
Wow this book hooked me from the first page and I couldn't put it down.
I loved these characters and the way they interacted with either.
I would recommend this book to anyone.
Right out of the gate we’re given the mystery of figuring out how an airborne virus made its way onto an airplane 30,000 feet in the air. Author DiAnn Mills definitely gained my attention, as well as many other readers, with her timely latest read, Airborne. I enjoyed Mills’ story from the start as it was simply a good read to the finish. The story offers us honest characters with three leads that work together to weave the story of who and why. Even with well-written stories, there are sometimes road bumps. I felt that the reading began to drag during the back-half of the book resulting in me losing some interest, but I stuck with it as I wanted to understand the why.

I received a copy of Airborne by DiAnn Mills via the Publisher and Partners in Crime Virtual Book Tours for an honest review. Please read my full review here: http://bit.ly/RAPTReviewAirborne.
Sure, it’s a clean read, and I do appreciate that, but I just can’t get to the five stars so many others can. Feel free to read my reasoning below. I know it seems like I’m writing spoilers, but I’m really not.

Mills doesn’t waste any time getting into it. We immediately find out a virus has been unleashed on passengers of an airborne flight. Considering our current Covid situation, I was intrigued by this premise and wanted to give this book a chance, even though I’m fairly picky about my Christian authors (due to hokey-ness or preachy-ness).

And here is Mills’ first major mistake: the FBI’s first major suspect in this act of bioterrorism. The main character, FBI agent Heather Lawrence, is on the plane. By herself- because her husband has been begging her for a divorce. Her husband also happens to work for the CDC researching and studying viruses and is passionate about helping people and finding cures. Which this all apparently makes the perfect storm. Clearly he MUST have released the virus to kill his wife so he can finally be free from her. And even though there is no other evidence linking him to the crime, and even though his life work is stopping viruses, it makes perfect sense that he has turned so evil that he is willing to kill hundreds of people (no, not the thousands that Covid has, just hundreds because we’re going BIG on this story) just to kill his wife who won’t sign divorce papers. I mean if that’s not 0 to 100 in 2.5 seconds I don’t know what is.

And not only does the FBI strongly believe they have the culprit, and all the media, and every person who watched the news, but his own Christian wife who knows him better than anyone is wondering if he did it too. People fall out of love (unfortunately) all the time. But they either divorce or one of them kills the other in a far more normal and accessible way- not releasing a never before seen virus on an international plane with the potential for a global pandemic. Someone doesn’t ‘just become’ that evil.

And then! We are told Heather has a secret! Suspense! What could it be?! Well, all we have to do is read one more page to find out what it is! She’s pregnant! Exit suspense. And then she tells everyone. I guess she doesn’t need it to be a secret anymore. And also her evil terrorist husband doesn’t even care.

And then! Her husband claims innocence and seeks to clear his name. He uncovers way more convincing and practical evidence on another suspect than what they have on him, gives it to the FBI and they say, ‘That’s pretty far-fetched, man. We’re going to need more evidence than that that will stand up in court. Why don’t you let the professionals do their job?’

And then! Heather decides she was wrong about him and decides he could not have been so evil and actually maybe they should get back together. Oh, shoot, he hates God, though. Never mind, not an option.

And then! In the middle of all this terrible chaos, Heather has the NERVE to eat ice cream. And I quote:

“Had she lost her mind? People were dying. A virus had the potential to kill people around the world. And she was hungry? Embarrassing. Shameful. And true.”

And then! Heather is talking to her husband and lists off the three suspects who have died over the course of the investigation. Then says, ‘And a woman was murdered here but no one is investigating.’ Suspense! Just kidding. That’s the first and last time we hear of this murdered woman. She matters for nothing. Move along. No one wants to hear about an unidentified woman being murdered.

Let’s also mention Mills’ sentence structure. Way too many sentences structured like this one. Can’t stand these. Don’t have a subject. Or her sentences just don’t make sense, several times I had to reread things to understand. And so much of her dialogue was stilted. Vocabulary that was unnatural in normal conversations. People jumping from one topic to something completely different in content or tone one sentence later. Back and forth.

Sooo.... I’m landing on 2 stars, because clearly some people love this book, and if you’re one of them, more power to ya. I’m not going to say ‘no one read this.’ *shrugs*

But in the words of Randy Jackson, “It’s a no for me dawg.”
I used to read a lot of DiAnn's books but I started to not really enjoy her style so I stopped. But when I saw this book come out I had to read it because of everything going on in our world today and how close to home it hit.

It really is a good idea but I still struggle with DiAnn's writing style. I can't even pinpoint why. I know many people love her. It think she doesn't get into the characters mind enough. There were things the characters did that I didn't see any motivation for in their thoughts or feelings. I guess it seemed superficial.

Even though the story was interesting, I wasn't really surprised buy who released the virus, I got that almost immediately, yet I did read until the end, but I think if it wasn't for living through our pandemic I might not have finished this one.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
While we are in the midst of a Coronavirus outbreak, this book was a read I was intrigued by. On board an airplane when people start becoming sick, ok.. Now, they are dying too! She recognizes what is going on and immediately joins in helping the crew where she can with advise and safety protocols. A lot of action from start to finish, suspense and yes...  I was certainly quickly turning the pages to see how this was going to end. Definitely one for my favorites list.  I requested a copy and was gifted one through NetGalley, no review was required. My opinion and review is voluntary.