Cover Image: The Second Chance Hotel

The Second Chance Hotel

I find myself in a quandary as I can't relate to the main character in this book. She is somehow vague. Just as I think I know her, she floats away.

I get the divorce and the running away. But for a person who keeps saying she is broke, she buys a lot of Stuff.
And Cillian- well - the hot handyman is just too cliched and his temper is problematic. He is so reminiscent of the Gamekeeper that I can't see him any other way. Even his relationships with April and Madge slips away in my reader's mind.
And then 'Hotel'. This is a Chalet Park. No hotel in sight.
And just what hotel job did April do? Again hints but nothing clear.

And then adding... into the mix as an excuse for an inability to conceive, when most medical texts say that properly treated it isn't. Or if hers was so bad that it was, why not a hysterectomy and get rid of the symptoms?

So the storyline slips away from me too.
A lovely story that keeps you interested right through until the end. Definitely recommended to those readers who enjoy reading this type of book.
This book is what is usually described as chick-lit.  It is set on the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall, where a disparate group of people all end up at a chalet park.  The characters are the new owner, the handyman and his young daughter, and a long-term resident.  The story is about them finding themselves, and love, again.  Very readable.
Sweet, charming, and fun lighthearted book. April desperately needs a do-over in her life so she buys the Shady Pines Chalet, a place that reminds her of happier times, with the goal of fixing it up and making it profitable. She meets several new people who eventually become fixtures in her life, including Cillian, a man who has his own issues to contend with. I adored the setting and the characters and the hopeful, can-do attitude and spirit of this book. I love a book that says it's never too late to seek out your happiness.
This book was perfection from start to finish.
April has fled from her old life to Lizard point, somewhere that has always brought her comfort...but as she embarks on her new life and getting her holiday park up and running, she can't begin to imagine how quickly her life can change. She soon meets Cillian, Martha and Judith, all of whom quickly become ingrained into her new life.

The main character April is so likeable and relatable, it is actually refreshing to read the tale from a woman who is struggling with insecurities as many of us do I'm sure.
And Cillian... well, what is there not to love about him? He too has his demons to conquer, but he is a gentleman through and through, and the love he shows for his daughter Orla is heartwarming.

This book is refreshing, heartwarming... just beautiful, I didn't want the story to end!.
Shady Pines Chalet Park may be a dump, but it’s a dump far away from April’s ex and his new fiancee. Best of all, the deal includes, Cillian, a handyman determined to help restore the park> The fact that he’s easy on the eyes is just a plus. But is April looking for love on the rebound or do she and Cillian have the chance to form something lasting?
What can I say about this book. It is about love ,starting over and second chances. I liked the chemistry between the two Main characters. But I expected more and I cannot describe what more is.  Thank you to netgalley for letting me read this e arc in exchange for an honest review
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for the chance to read om netgalley. Despite years of interacting with Rachel this is her first book ive read…shocker!

I have sat on the sofa wrapped up as clearly our summer has been and gone and devoured this book. I loved it.

Charming,sweet,heartwarming and uplifting.

Loved Cillian…can i have one of him please? I could relate to him as a single parent. But also to April as someone whos been hurt and needing a new chapter in her life

A tale of new beginnings,fresh starts,hope and love.

This is the perfect antidote to rainy days in lockdown.

I look forward to reading more of her books .
After a disastrous marriage breakup, April Statham returns to Cornwall, having hastily purchased the now dilapidated Shady Pines Chalet Park, where she once spent an idyllic summer as a child. The reality of the purchase is far removed from April's dreams and much work is needed before the holiday park can reopen for the summer. When Cillian O'Leary, and his small daughter, Orla, need a more secure home, April is happy to give over one of the chalets in return for Cillian's handyman skills around the park.

What then follows is a delightful story about the trials and tribulations of preparing to open a new business, and April's constant worry about her stretched finances, and whether the enterprise will be successful. The added inclusion of Cillian and Orla, with all their problems, adds an interesting dimension, and I enjoyed watching how the friendship between Cillian, Orla and April developed as the story progressed. The 'will they, won't they aspect of April and Cillian's burgeoning relationship adds a little bit of romantic interest to the story. However, it's not all about romance, I especially enjoyed meeting Maggie, a feisty octogenarian, who lives at the Chalet Park all year round and who fiercely guards her own sad secrets.

With an idyllic Cornish setting, interesting characters who very soon feel as comfortable as friends, a smattering of sweet romance, The Second Chance Hotel is a light and easy summer read.
April is the new owner of Shady Pines - perfect holiday retreat. New business, new her, what could possibly go wrong an what are the odds of her old problems catching up with her.

If you haven't been in the position of being a woman who can't conceive and are unable to have the child you want, I think it may be difficult to comprehend just how much it influences their emotional well-being and responses to certain situations. It's easy to put April aside and label her as dramatic, highly-strung and too invested. Unfortunately it also means, especially in this case, that the people around her are unable to feel empathy, thereby making her feel as if she has failed in some way.

Running away and starting a completely new life is a scary thing to do, but it also saves her from the constant criticism she is experiencing. The worn down chalet park she decided to buy was an attempt to grab a piece of nostalgia. Apparently it comes with a grumpy old woman and an odd-jobs man with more baggage than the lost and found department at an airport.

It's a romance, which has amusing moments at times, but is overall a story about realising when one door closes another one will always open somewhere for you.

Dove very much combines the serious with the fun with this read. Her characters are dealing with the kinds of issues that can break hearts, break up relationships and sometimes bring people to the brink. It's that element of realism that gives this story something readers they can relate to, whilst simultaneously giving them some escapism.
This was a delightful, feel good story, based in Cornwall my favourite County. Lovely characters with believable storylines that made this a book for optimists. Brilliant conclusion.
Wonderful escape read whilst I enjoyed the sunshine in the garden. Three storylines delicately woven into the plot. The three main characters have all had their hearts bashed around in various ways and I don’t want to spoil it but it will want to make you go to stay at the Second Chance Hotel and see the two trolls on the slide!

For anyone who ever went on holiday in a chalet as a child, this will bring back lovely memories
A light and easy read. The setting is magical. This was a wonderful way to escape for a few hours.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
An easy escaping read with engaging characters.  I couldn't put the book down. This is the ideal holiday read if only we could go on holiday, but it certainly brightened up my lockdown! Only one thing really mystified me - how could April share a bed with a gorgeous hunk for a month without actually having sex (and vice versa!)?
A gorgeous read ideal for this summer weather we're having. I read this in a couple of sittings and loved every word. There's depth too. It's not just the boy meets girl thing. Cillian is no lad and April has been through such a bad divorce as to gamble her future on a childhood whim. Then there's the mystery of the old lady next door...
To be honest I was expecting more from this book.  The premise was good for both parts of the storyline, but neither felt properly developed and in particular the April/Cillian storyline felt rushed and without enough depth.  Their constant arguing like teenagers was, to be honest quite annoying.

Oh and there is no hotel in the book - it's a seaside chalet park, that goes from rundown and neglected to ready to open in the space of about a fortnight!

Thank you to Netgalley for an early review copy.
You know when you see a pretty book cover and get all these hopes that it’ll be a romance that’ll sweep you off your feet? You start believing that this will be some sort of Hallmark feel good romance that you’ll love and read in one sitting. The second I saw the cover of this book it made me wish for a vacation to a B&B by the beach in Maine but from the first page.. for the life of me I could not get into it.

Though the main character had pretty good reasons for leaving her previous life and making a drastic life change, I felt that the romance between her and the “main man” was a bit forced which quickly put me off it. This was my first book from this author and I certainly won’t let that cloud my judgment of reading other books from her but this one just wasn’t for me.
Thank you NetGalley, HQ Digital and the author for providing a review copy!

(3 out of 5 stars)

April Statham had just left her husband and moved to Shady Pines where she bought a hotel property. The property needs some fixer upper before she can be able to accommodate guest for the upcoming season but she has limited funds since she’s starting a new life.

Cillian is a single father who is broke and (could be described as) flat out miserable if it wasn’t for the angel daughter he was blessed with. His life isn’t exactly a happy one either. He crossed paths with April at the hotel in Shady Pines when Martha, the old lady in town, called him up.

They didn’t exactly had a good relationship in the beginning but it went okay somehow. This story could have been inspiring because the real lesson was how a person can move on or get back up from a huge setback and use that setback as a motivation to be better and stronger. However, i didn’t like it when the narration was about April, the lines were kind of repetitive. For instance, in the earlier chapters it was already stated that April grew up with her mother only. Then on the next few chapters, the same statement was written but para-phrased. April’s side of the story was redundant and dragging. Cillian’s story on the other hand, was intriguing and at a normal pace. You would actually feel progress when reading his chapters.

I just felt like the book was unbalanced and could have been improved if given the time. I would have loved the story if it wasn’t for April’s chapters. It’s just weird that the main character’s story is what made it somehow dragging to read, at least in my opinion.

Could still recommend if you wan’t a book about hope and life! Give this a try if you want. Happy reading!
This story is packed with second chances - but without a hotel, despite the title! Actually, that reference comes from April's Mum but it had me pondering to start with as the story is largely set in a Cornish chalet park. April Statham has left behind her cheating ex-husband and her life in Yorkshire to make a fresh start as the owner of the Shady Pines Chalet Park which she has fond memories of visiting as a child. Unfortunately, it is now rather dilapidated and run down but, after a close encounter with a bat wielding resident and a hunky handyman, she's determined to make the best of her new life, but there are plenty more surprises in store for her and even a possible HEA, if only she can be brave again!

This is an engaging story of adventure, friendships, letters and romance in a seaside setting. There's more than one potential romance involved as well as a traumatised four year old, lots of hard work and plenty of new opportunities. It is a lovely story to escape into, a feel-good read to put a smile on your face ☺ It is a story of family as well as liking yourself and being ready to move on.

I requested and was gifted a copy of this book and this is my honest review after choosing to read it and enjoying doing so.
Such a heartwarming novel, a great read in these uncertain times. Cute and relatable characters, a lovely story and wonderful writing. There isn’t anything to dislike about this book. I liked April, but Cillian and Orla held my heart the most, just so cute. It’s set in Cornwall so that’s a big win for me because it’s my joint favourite setting with Scotland, so I’m going to love a book if it’s set where I love. Just perfection, cute, romantic with lots of feels.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion