Cover Image: No Offense

No Offense

Meg Cabot is one of my very favorite authors. I have been a devoted fan ever since The Princess Diaries with Mia Thermopolis. Cabot has written pretty prolifically since then. She has a whole line of princess themed juvenile fiction books and has branched out into every age group. Her adult fiction romantic comedies are pretty dependable for an easy, fun read.

No Offense tells the story of a newbie local librarian, Molly, trying to find her place on Little Bridge Island. (Little Bridge Island is the setting of one other book by Cabot, No Judgments. A third installment is due out September 2021.) Molly has her dream job as the Children's Librarian and doesn't anticipate anything more difficult than winning over a surly teen who hangs out way too much at the library. Unfortunately, everything is thrown into disarray when Molly finds an abandoned newborn in the library restroom. She and the local sheriff John are forced to work together to figure out who abandoned the baby and why. Initially they don't get along but it turns out they complement one another quite well. It's a cute, quick read.
I found the beginning of this book quite slow and difficult to get through and I couldn't read any further. The plot with the entire intrigue about the baby just seemed contrived and a little boring. I wouldn't recommend this book.

I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review*
I cannot stop laughing! I absolutely loved reading about a job, MY JOB, that hardly ever gets written about: a children's librarian. Cabot perfectly wrote about the ins and outs of a library and what we deal with in the children's section. Growing up loving Princess Diaries, it was fun to turn to her adult books, now that I'm an adult, and find that they're still something that I love.
No Offense is the second book in the Little Bridge Island series. This book could be read as a standalone. This book was ok for me. This book is told from dual points of view from Molly Montgomery and John Hartwell.

Molly is a librarian and John is a sheriff. Molly finds an infant in the libraries bathroom and John meets her when he's doing the investigation. They start to have feelings for each other while find the missing mother. There is also someone breaking into houses and stealing stuff. This person is known as "The Highschool Thief."

John is looking for the culprit, and Molly does her own investigating. During the investigations some things happen and they end up arguing over what the other did.

Can the find the baby's mother and the Highschool Thief? Can they get back together or will it tear them apart for good.
This was an ok book. Very predictable. You can tell Cabot is typically a writer for YA. If not for the on-page sex and the age of the main characters, I would say it was a book for teens. The characters are likable but the story is very predictable. As a librarian, I found the constant reference to her role as a librarian annoying. If the town is that small, everyone knows her job. Plus, she doesn't have to keep saying how she needs to keep her patrons privacy, or some of her other references to being a librarian. I would say it's a good, quick, mindless spring break or beach read.
I enjoyed this book.  I love anything by Meg Cabot. I enjoyed the small town vibe of this book and being a librarian, I loved that the main character was a a children's librarian. I also really like the relationship between the father and daughter,
Thank you, Netgalley, for allowing me a chance to read No Offense by Meg Cabot.

I really wanted to like this book because the main character, Molly, is a librarian and I happen to work at a library, but sadly I did not like this book. I was enjoying the library atmosphere in the beginning, but the drama with finding the baby and the mother, and then the break-ins all felt a little forced. The main character ended up annoying me with her 'I'm a librarian and I also can be a detective because I've read all the Nancy Drew books' attitude. No, Just, no. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love being an armchair detective reading or watching a good mystery, but I do not imagine myself being capable of stepping in the shoes of a police officer.
This book was the perfect read on this snowy Valentine's Day. I've been a fan of Meg Cabot's since the beginning and I have yet to be disappointed. And the sheriff and librarian characters made this librarian's heart go pitter-patter. Well done!
This was my first read from author Meg Cabot, so I wasn't expecting anything going in. I love a good librarian story, but find that most librarian stories are dry. This was not the case with No Offense. I liked the back and forth relationship between the children's librarian and town sheriff- their chemistry was undeniable. The  incident that brought them together was out of the ordinary (a baby left in the library bathroom?!) but I enjoyed the mystery/detective style of the plot. I found that the sheriff was not my favorite character as he was often condescending toward the librarian and I also did not enjoy that she had a difficult time sticking up for herself. This could have been because of her father's inherent misogynistic attitude toward her and others in the town. Overall, I thought this story was ok, but I'm not sure I would read the rest of the series.
Sometimes you start a book and you can tell right away it is not worth your time. It's not well written or the characters are terrible people you can't possibly invest the time in to see if they will have any kind of redemption at all. That was what happened to me a week ago and I find that a bad book can sometimes sour me for reading for a little bit. Fortunately, I the picked up Meg Cabot's No Offense and it was like a breath of fresh air!

Molly Montgomery is the new children's librarian on Little Bridge, a small island in the Florida Keys. She is still smarting from a difficult break up and obsessed with true crime shows on TV when a real mystery drops into her lap, er, library. As she gets to know the sheriff, with whom she butts heads on more than one occasion, she tries to solve the crime and also uncover a little romance as well.

I don't normally read cheesy romance, but when the time is right, it's right. This light, fluffy, sweet novel was exactly what I needed to get the yucky taste of that DNF out of my mouth while also serving as a distraction from the world. It was also very good writing with darling characters. This was cute and would make for perfect vacation reading.
DNF

Meg Cabot has long been a favorite author of mine. Her books, at their best, are unbeatably fun and romantic, but this one feels flat, as have the prior Little Bridge Island books. The MC annoys me, and the love interest is a cop and single father. The mystery resolves around an abandoned baby. This so isn't for me. Still a big Meg Cabot fan, but not for this series.
The "drama" of it felt a little forced. The two MC's distrust to love seemed a little quick but was enjoyable to read regardless.
I just adore Meg Cabot. She can do no wrong and her latest is no exception. Light, fun, and a pleasure to read.
Molly Montgomery's life is about to change!  Following her broken engagement, she decided to pursue her dream job as a children's librarian.  Little Bridge Island is a quaint and whimsical town, that is rocked by a baby being abandoned at the library.  Of course, Molly is the one who finds the small baby and contacts the sheriff.

Meet John Hartwell, all six-feet-three, handsome sheriff of Little Bridge Island.  John believes vehemently that a criminal has left the baby, but could the opposite be true?

Molly is everything John isn't, messy, creative and loves being around kids and books.  John is orderly, organized and upholds the law.  John is recently divorced, struggling to take care of his teenage daughter.  When Molly and John meet, will this turn out to be a true fairy tale?  Or utter disaster?  Read this charming book to find out!
Meg Cabot is a beloved author to me, and I was excited to read No Offense, the second book in the Little Bridge Island series.

It was a light, enjoyable read just like the first book, and thought the characters were fun and well written.

I always enjoy revisiting characters and setting from previous books, and it was good to be back in Little Bridge Island.

*many thanks to William Morrow and Netgalley for the gifted copy.
2 stars

You can read all of my reviews at Nerd Girl Loves Books.

My overall feeling about this contemporary romance book is a solid "meh". It's not the worst I've read, but I won't remember what this book is about in a week. The writing is fine, but the two characters aren't interesting, the romance is very clunky and the side plots kind of ridiculous.

Molly moves from Colorado after she breaks up with her finance to be the new children's librarian at the Little Bridges Library in the Florida Keys. One day she discovers an abandoned newborn in the bathroom of the library and is met by newly divorced Sheriff John. Per romantic book formula, their initial encounter is fraught with miscommunication and both sides are left thinking the other person is hot but insufferable. The duo are then shoved together over and over again until they fall into each other's arms, and then into bed. That's it. Other than a goofy cold case about a string of burglaries which the Sheriff has been unable to solve (and for which he is reminded of by all of the island's "quirky" characters), not much else happens.

I didn't feel any chemistry between the main characters and felt the story both dragged on and was rushed at the same time. Yeah, I don't know. The corny ending had me *literally* rolling my eyes. I've read books from this author before and enjoyed them, so hope this is just a one-off that didn't resonate with me.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers for the free digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was my first Meg Cabot and while I was very aware that there is a book prior to this one, I jumped in anyway. I didn't get any vibes that I needed to read the previous book which was cool. Being that this is my first read by her, I didn't really know what to expect. It felt very chick-lit'ish with a dash of romance and a dash of cozy mystery. I think she handled all three elements very well and it was a really good story. I love that our main character is a librarian and it was so fun seeing some of the behind the scenes, day to day of librarian life.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was not the book for me, I found it forgettable.
I didn’t love this one. I had a hard time connecting to the characters and ultimately wasn’t invested in their relationship. There were some cute moments, and who doesn’t love a librarian character in a book, right?
Molly and John are a cute couple, and I love how cute and quirky this title is. But Molly is a terrible children's librarian (with her heart in the right place, but still) and she comes across as naive and dumb much of the time. Their relationship dynamic sometimes came off like a gender cliche. Meg Cabot can do better.