Cover Image: No Offense

No Offense

No Offense is the second book in the Little Bridge Island series. The writing is light and predictable. I had high hopes since it was about a librarian and it sounded so cute, but she was very self righteous and not at all pleasant. For me, this book fell flat.  The romance was almost non-existent. There was very little spark between the characters. This book just didn't do it for me.
An adorable book in a wonderful series. I loved Meg Cabot’s first book, “no judgements” so I was looking forward to the second in this series. I was not let don’t! It was easy and breezy and the perfect covid beach read. I hope she continues this series a further!
Meg Cabot once again impresses with her newest book "No Offense." As a librarian, I enjoyed reading her take on how libraries work and fell in love with Little Bridge again.
Meg Cabot has written another great book!

Molly Montgomery is the new children's librarian at Little Bridge Island Public Library, and she's quite content leading children's programming and watching her true crime shows. That is, until the crime is brought to her when she finds an abandoned newborn in the library's bathroom. Enter John Hartwell, the island's tall, handsome, and tidy Sheriff. As a single father, John doesn't have time for romance until Molly arrives on the scene. Now John must wrestle with his feelings for Molly, all while solving a crime that's years in the making.
This is a review of the advanced reader copy of No Offense by Meg Cabot. I was given an e-book copy from NetGalley for my honest review:

After breaking up with her ex-fiance, Molly Montgomery moves to the Florida Keys to become the head children’s librarian. Molly loves her job and community. So when she finds an abandoned baby in the library, she is invested in the mystery of who the parents are.

When Sheriff John Hartwell (a divorced single dad) shows up to investigate, sparks fly as the pair bump heads over the case and discover a powerful attraction to each other.

What I loved about this book was a strong community feel. While the town has its issues with crime and lots of gossip, Meg Cabot describes a welcoming and caring community. I thought John and his daughters’ relationship was a bunch of wholesome goodness with a cherry on top.

I loved the bookish vibe. Molly and all the primary characters have a love of books and a reverence towards the library. I appreciated how Molly describes the library as a safe place for various community members such as the homeless community.

Molly is passionate about the library being a haven. As a result, she questions John on his approach to finding the girl’s mom. She also subtly calls in to question policing culture around the treatment of oppressed people like the mentally ill. With the police brutality protests in mind, I enjoyed this part of Molly’s characterization. With that said, there is an element of romanticizing the police, especially since a principal character is an officer. For people not in the mood for police stories during the current climate, they might want to pass on this novel for the time being. This isn’t a criticism of the book for me since its description stated that one of the lead characters is a cop. So, I was prepared to separate fictional cop story from the reality of policing culture.

There were a few things that could have been better. The romance felt rushed. There wasn’t enough of a build-up with John and Molly’s romance. The “mystery” elements sidetracked the romance.  If the book was longer, with the readers getting to see John and Molly spend more time together, separate from the crime subplot, this would have better romance novel with a cool mystery angle.

This is a sweet story with a happy ending. Even the crime somehow wasn’t too dark. But since I didn’t completely buy into the romance, I am giving No Offense by Meg Cabot a 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. I recommend this to those looking for a light, feel-delightful story with a bookish theme.
Author Meg Cabot is most famous for the Princess Diaries series. Last year Cabot started a new series, the Little Bridge Island series. The first in the series, No Judgements, received moderate reviews averaging between 3 and 4 stars.

The next installment, No Offense, returns to the beautiful Florida Keys backdrop that is Little Bridge Island. This time, a newcomer enters the picture. Molly Montgomery, a transplant from the mountains of Colorado, is the new Little Bridge Island Public Library's head of the children's department. A dream job for Molly, she is eagerly settling in and find a place for herself within the islands inhabitants. Just as things start to normalize her world is turned upside down by an abandoned newborn she finds in the restroom and the handsome Sheriff that comes to investigate the discovery.

Molly and Sheriff John Hartwell get off on a rough start after the abandoned baby incident. And they seem to remain at odds moving forward. Does that mean Molly has set herself as an outsider by alienating the Sheriff? Or is there something else happening between them that has them butting heads?

No Offense explores the intimacies of a small town while also exploring the even closer knit circle of those in a small island town where tourists are constantly in circulation. Cabot creates the perfect setting and plot for a beach read: a beautiful setting, classic characters, a budding romance that takes its time with no shortage of slip ups, and a few quirky side characters that help nudge things into place along the way.

No Offense is the perfect guilty pleasure read. This book may be part of a series but it reads as a standalone novel. This book is best enjoyed with sunshine, witty humor, and a tall glass of sweet tea.
I adore this series: it’s fun, surprisingly deep with a summery island feel, full of friendship, beaches, laughter and small-town hiccups.  In this story we are meeting newcomer and children’s librarian Molly. After leaving Denver for Little Bridge, she was excited for a new start – she just didn’t expect it to be quite so ‘adventurous.  Finding a newborn infant in the bathroom at the library while trying to wrangle a library full of cookie-decorating children, their parents and a teenaged boy who is doing everything to impress – it's not quite the best day.  And then she meets the Sherriff.  John has returned to Little Bridge after years away and a divorce- and leaving Miami and homicide for a quieter life on the island is better for him and his teen daughter Katie.

Instant sparks between Molly and John set off the inner voices, and lead to plenty of moments where emotions and old insecurities are first to come forward in their conversations.  Aside from the mystery newborn, the mother is a question, and there is the matter of the consistent and random break ins.  Of course, Molly is instantly siding with the mother and the child, and wanting John to leave his ‘investigator’ side in the car while he single-mindedly (at least to her) is determined to punish someone and find the mystery thief.

When you add in John’s daughter Katie, a high school girl on a dance team with an absent (and very non-nurturing mother), Molly’s second job at the local B&B, her new friendship with town benefactress and her little dog, and a teen who is doing everything to be noticed while Molly  trying to be ‘understanding’ yet not allow her worries about the mystery house burglar override her interactions with either John or the teen, the story has SO many possibilities! John and Molly are adorable together, the town is quirky and nosey, the people alternate between helpful and overbearing, the story is a great fit for the quirky place, and the chemistry (and personalities) all meld together to make it a place that you’d love to visit, perhaps stay for a bit, and make lots of friends.  Far more complex and emotionally deep than one would expect, this series has hit the right balance of fun, laughs and plausible connections that makes it a favorite series of mine.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at <a href=” https://wp.me/p3OmRo-aLT /” > <a> I am, Indeed </a>
Loved this book!

We first fell in love with the residents of Little Bridge Florida in Meg Cabot's "No Judgments." Now we get to visit them again in the second standalone book in the series, "No Offense." While we do get to see a glimpse of the couple from the first book. This book follows the lives of the brand new children's librarian, Molly, and the town's Sheriff, John.

One of the things I love most about Molly and John together is that they are completely relatable. They couldn't be more different from each other , personality wise, and I love that they don't change who they are to be together, like most Rom-Coms out there are. John is completely Type A. He loves everything to be neat and tidy in his home, office and life. While Molly's home and work desk is complete organized chaos. Being complete opposites posses quite a few challenges for them throughout the book, but it also allows them to compliment each other perfectly.

If you are looking for a fun romantic comedy that is a perfect beach read, or wish you were at the beach read, then this is for you!
I really wanted to like this book. I've been a fan of Meg Cabot's for years and librarians in books are my literary catnip. Unfortunately, I just could not get into it. I found Molly annoying and didn't get any chemistry from her and John. Ultimately I read it to the end so that I could provide this review, but if I hadn't been reading the ARC, I woud have picked something else up instead.
Meg Cabot has done it again. Another cute book that makes you feel good at the end. To have the theme of who or why throughout the book was fun. The characters were down to earth as being a sheriff (single dad) and librarian. It was fun to see two characters grow together from different walks of life and from not liking each other on first glance.
A humorous romance that also touches on some current issues so it isn't just all fluff. You can definitely read it without having read the first one in the series - the characters bridge from book to book.
Meg Cabot has always been one of my favorite authors, and she does not disappoint with her newest, No Offense.  The characters' interactions are fun, and the suspense was minute but enough to propel the story forward.  All in all a quick, fun read.  And who doesn't love a librarian as a main character!
This book was disappointing. I was hoping for a light, fun and quick read and found it to be very dull. I didn't feel a connection with the characters, and felt like they're relationship was very forced.
As a librarian, I had such high hopes for this one by Meg Cabot. And as a muderino librarian who loves watching crime shows and getting an inside peek at a criminal investigation, I tried so hard to identify with Molly. But she really made some very questionable decisions. The book opens on an extra cringy scene with a young teen at the library making gingerbread cookies perform very inappropriate acts during a children's program (which we, the reader, are supposed to find soooo funny). She finds a baby in the bathroom stall and insert Sheriff John and forced romance.

I'm going to be honest, I don't see these two together. There was no chemistry, no romance. Just lusty looks leading to drunken kisses and bumbling sex (with books falling all over????). I felt no spark.

Molly comes off as both a pushover and too pushy, not a mixture of characteristics that work particularly well.

This is a fluffy, light read that really begs for more. Where's the inner conflict and emotion? There are some cute scenes and a few laughs to keep you interested if you have an afternoon by the pool to spare. Perfect for readers who enjoy light, quirky romances.
I'm in love with how Meg Cabot portrayed librarianship in this novel. I've always loved Meg Cabot's books, but this just hit me good. I might be biased having worked in a public library. It's amazing how bad librarian tropes are: either being the sexy, catty librarian, the mousy librarian, or the shhhhing librarian (none of which are very accurate). Cabot showed the nitty gritty that comes with a public position and honestly finding an abandoned baby in the bathroom isn't that far off. I liked Molly and the sheriff's, John's balance and relationship, although Molly at times felt more pushy than I liked. I also wish that the romance had been upped. I felt like we waited for something to happen for so long and then the ending felt rushed.
No Offense was a quick and cute read. It read like a rom-com/cozy mystery and so was a nice way to pass the afternoon since I flew through the book.. I really liked both characters and enjoyed the overall story.  The only downside for me was that it took a long time for me to actually buy into the relationship between the sheriff and the librarian.   Even though each stated they were attracted to the other, I just didn't feel it for a while.  Because it took me so long to feel that it was really attraction, the course of their relationship then felt somewhat rushed.  Still a fun read though, especially if you're looking for something light and fluffy to read during these stressful times.
This book flew by in the blink of an eye. I wish there had been more to it both because it was an enjoyable read and also because I felt like I was missing out on some plot. John and Molly really seemed to connect more on a physical sense so I didn't come away thinking their relationship was all that solid. I swooned a little at John and his cute romantic gestures which was nice. I especially loved how Meg Cabot nailed what it's like to be a librarian! She has written probably the best depiction of what our jobs are like now (for those in smaller communities....city libraries are a bit different).
No Offense is going to be familiar to fans of Meg Cabot's adult novels as it hits all the familiar beats-- cute setting, light comedy, lots of banter, and a happy ending. And in these tumultuous times, I say, Bring It! No Offense may be formulaic, but you know what? It's a fun formula and this is an easy, breezy and enjoyable read.
A romance featuring a librarian! A fairly realistic children's librarian, no less; no shushing spinsters or fishnet-wearing sirens here. This might be hard to read for other librarians out there; some parts are horribly realistic, others had me seriously doubting Molly's judgment. (The same could be said for some of John's decisions, too.) For the majority of readers who aren't librarians, though, I hope that Molly gets people thinking differently about the field. I'm grateful to Cabot for getting that part (mostly) right.

The story itself was a typical, straightforward romance: fluffy and silly, with a few unrealistic situations leading to the requisite HEA. I always worry a bit when a romance plot gets too serious, in this case abandoning a baby, leaving a girl to die after she gives birth, reuniting estranged family, etc. because it's always in the interest of advancing the main romance and always gets resolved too neatly. I don't read romances for their realistic portrayals of humanity, of course, but I found myself worrying so much about the 18-year-old with a newborn, a boyfriend in prison, and horrible parents thrust back into her life without her consent and I was actually pretty mad at the main characters for how they handled the whole situation. Still, Little Bridge Island is a charming town and I genuinely enjoyed the side characters who call it home. My library doesn't actually have this series, but I'll visit again if we do decide to pick it up.

I received a copy of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Cabot writes such fun novels and this book is no different! I'll forever associate Cabot with The Princess Diaries but she is so much more than that. As an author she has the capability to draw the reader into the book. In No Offense, I got pulled in right from the first few pages. I could not put it down!

This was another fun and light romance that would be perfect for a day at the beach if you can manage to go to one! Or, it's just a light read if you don't want something so heavy. This is a sequel to the Little Bridge Island books.